George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

It kind of still seems like this is the fall back school for students in VA...but it really isn't that easy to get into anymore, but it just seems like a lot of people still think that way. I did too, and I still kind of do too because I had gotten into my first choice, but a financial situation forced me to come here. The education is really great though, so that thought process is really not deserved.

Upon first glance, it seems that Mason is just a conduit for (a) semi-motivated, semi-intelligent, out of state kids to get an undergraduate degree and (b) 20-something, business-oriented, "real world" adults to work on either finishing their undergrad degree or working on a grad degree while employed in the area. For most intents and purposes, this is a good depiction of the school.

There is no typical stereotype of students at George Mason. If anything, there tends to be lack of an overall image you can associate most of the student body with. Most students are average, easy-going kids who just want to pursue their education. Here you can get the education you need, but not be pressured to have a perfect GPA.

That they're rich and stuck-up. Being located in the area it is, it can be easy to assume that the student body would be made of white kids. In addition, Mason is always labeled a "commuter" college rather than a "legit" college like some of the other's in VA.

The primary stereotype about Mason is that it is a commuter school. People that believe this typically associate Mason with the classic "suitcase" school where everyone goes home on the weekends.

That our school has so much diversity that most of the students are from different countries; the classes are a lot easier--so the students aren't as smart as say students at Tech, or JMU

The stereotype is that George Mason students mostly have jobs and work off- campus. Another stereotype is that the student population is a diverse melting pot.

GMU is one of the most diverse schools in the nation. People often dismiss GMU because it is too close to home. just a little commuter school.

GMU students are prudish, uppity. GMU is boring-nothing to do. Everyone always goes home on the weekends.

Graduate crowd is normally well experinced in the industry so it helps in making the coursework fun.