George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

I someone was looking for a really strong on-campus community, this school is still definitely a commuter school. However, it is still easy for to make friends and settle in on campus if they are willing to work a little more to make friends. The campus is more quiet on weekends so most activities happen off campus or students create the fun for themselves. For those reasons, I wouldn't recommend Mason to someone looking for an active campus on weekends.

George Mason University is an extremely diverse college that accepts students of all backgrounds, races, ethnicities and genders. The community is full of intelligent and driven students from different backgrounds. The only student that should not attend this school is one who is not willing to learn and be acceptant of all types of people. George Mason caters to its diverse community in which practically anyone who puts in the effort can thrive in.

The kind of people that probably wouldn't like George Mason are people who would prefer to live in the city. George Mason is located in the middle of a suburban city with a campus structure resembleing a small town. Also, though only 30 minutes away from Washington D.C, attractions for underaged young adults is still majorly limited. In short, George Mason more of a quiet campus that focuses more on academics and diversity then "partying".

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who wants to join a large, football, greek life type of school. GMU is a big school with great opportunities for the future, especially in the Northern VA and DC areas. GMU is more career focused with little to no focus on greek life, but we do have a awesome fraternities and sororities. It is a different type of college experience, not the cliche kind you see in the movies.

I think a person who is always wanting to party and break the rules should not attend George Mason. Mason does have its share of misfits, but many students here realize at an early stage that Mason has a zero tolerance for drinking underage and breaking honor codes. Other schools may be lenient but Mason has high expectations for their students, so anyone who is looking for the crazy college experiences may not find it here.

The fraternity/sorority life at GMU is a lot bigger than I had anticipated, so if a future person is interested in joining that life, then this school with be great for them. However, if not then I would say look other place. Also, it is a very large school, making a student feel disconnected at times. So, If a person likes the environment of not being spotlighted and fading back a bit, then it is nice for that.

Someone who wants to party party and get crunk all the time. It is definitely an option here, but certainly not the main focus. If you're going to cry about a somewhat dead campus on the weekends, don't come here. I find it appealing, because then I go find things to do with my friends (who are here on the weekends) and it's wonderful to not have any distractions, like too many people being here on the weekend.

Someone who is looking for the typical college experience that includes a party life and greek domination should not come to George Mason. Although our Greek life is satisfactory, the University does not support Greek Housing at the time, and Greek life is small. It is not much of a party school since it is located in the middle of Fairfax, and there are many commuters who attend.

This school is fit for someone looking for adventure- there is so much diversity at this school (religious, racial, financial-status, etc.) that it is impossible to not get caught off gaurd at times being around so much diversity if you're not looking for it. Being that it is located near Washington D.C., this school is great for those looking for a future with the government jobs.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who isn't serious about trying to succeed. I've never thought that my courses were hard, they were just time consuming. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort to succeed at this school, it's definitely not for slackers. College can be trying and you have to be able to work through it.