George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

I advise freshman to do several things before they start their first day of college. I will offer a list with a detailed description of all freshman should do: 1. Believe everything posted in the Unigo reviews. These reviews prevented my first week at George Mason from being a surprise. I knew to expect some of the campus food to be less than nutritious at times. I heard from upperclassmen that the campus food used to be worse at this school. Also, the reviews helped me to cope with the less than friendly major of students and enjoy my time here. 2. Read all the great college prep information. Go these following sites: ecampustours.com, fastweb.com, calnewport.com/blog, collegeprep101.com, collegelife.about.com, and several other sites. These sites offer students college tips, and it helps them to effectively navigate through their first year. More importantly, they learn time management skills to apply throughout college. 3. Research and visit the Office of Disability Services. This advice is most important to students with disabilities. Be sure to update and bring all important documentation to the office. Then the office will set up an appointment, so students can register to receive their accommodations. Being registered offers several advantages like registering for classes on the first day, being eligible to Delta Alpha Pi (Disability Honor Society), and meet with other students with similar challenges. Importantly, the accommodations also help with housing, particularly with getting single rooms. 4. Register at the earliest and most available date. This is very important to increase the chances of getting into the important and more desired courses. Also, try to register for more classes than needed. This will help with the decision process while deciding classes. 5. Apply for housing early. To do this, read all the directions then apply. This will alleviate a lot of trouble later on. Often times, housing might offer the better housing options to those who apply early. Importantly, be sure to put in housing preferences.

In choosing a college, you must first consider your strengths, passions, goals, and needs. After narrowing your choices by your price range, your should select those schools which have programs in his preferred area of study. Once this has been done, you should visit your favorite colleges to determine which atmostphere and location best suits your preferences. Upon choosing a college that fits your educational goals and lifestyle, you can begin immediately to make the most of your experience. You should research the school to discover what it offers in the way of student organizations, on-campus job opportunities, religious groups, internships, and other things in which the student is interested. Before you have settled into the rigours of academics, you can meet group leaders to express interest. I would recommend not officially joining a group until you are sure that your homework load will allow full dedication. Schoolwork must always take precedence over extra-curricular activities, however, never sacrifice your social life entirely. Key to a fulfilling college experience is this balance between school and fun, to keep this balance, I recommend finding an older person, perhaps an upper-classman, parent, friend, or professor, to help you keep it.

For students considering schools, there are a few things to pay attention to. First, it is important to feel comfortable in the classroom environment, which includes feeling comfortable interacting with professors. Also, students should consider what resources available for the field they intend to study and they should take advantage of what the school offers in terms of concurrent and post-graduation work. Second, students should visit the school to see if they could see themselves living and interacting with others there. Third, and most importantly, students must remember that college is only what they make of it. There are many opportunities available through the college, but the student needs to personally take initiative create their own ideal college experience. It is also an exciting time for parents. Parents must remember that there is so much pressure felt already by students. Even though parents are anxious, students need support. The more parents and students can work together patiently, the better off both parties will be. Choosing a college is an important process for both parents and students. It can seem daunting and overwhelming when you are in the midst of choosing, but careful consideration pays off in the long run.

finding the right college can be extremely stressful. It's a very personal decision that students and parents have to make each year. Like any major decision in life it should be done early, (ideally in the junior year if not earlier), and it's critically important that this be approached with a well defined decision making process with well thought out criteria that reduces stress and ultimately gives the best decision. I submit for due consideration the following advice as a "Plan of Action". Determine what area of study the student desires to major in . Create a list of criteria to be used in evaluating colleges as being ideal for selection to attend. Make a list of potential colleges offering the student's desired major, and apply the above criteria to narrow down to a managable list those colleges that will offer admittance to the student based on GPA and SAT scores. Gather and review all resources and information about each school you're considering. Where possible visit the colleges on your list. Make a final list of choices among those schools that may accepted you. Review their possible scholarships. Finally, apply to those schools that made your cut .

Forget the guided tours and college brochures. You want a gritty, real college perspective from the front lines. Ask students on campus. Don't be shy and wander around or even drop in on a class. Check out the student activities offices to see what is available outside of class. OUTSIDE OF CLASS- this is an important determinant. The development and learning your future genius-to-be gains will not only derive from professors' lectures. Consider the campus's location to internship and employment opportunities to gain career-related experience while in school. Consider your student's current passions and see what related activities and groups the school hosts. Perhaps volunteering is a must; see if there is a school branch of Habitat for Humanity. Perhaps religion is critical to your student; for example if Jewish find the nearest synagogue (or on-campus service) and the student Jewish community, then meet some members. If an outoodor enthusiast, consider the campus proximity to hiking trails. Bottom line- put your student's passions at the center of your college search. This will ensure that you find an environment nurturing those passions with a relevant degree, career experience, and student organizations and activities.

Through my college experience, I discovered the necessary thoughts, attitudes and qualities of being successful. Initially, I was skeptical about applying to pharmacy school due to my ?uncompetitive? GPA; however, I applied. The first thing about being successful is believing that you are and will be successful despite any setbacks you may have. Next, I learned that you must focus and remain positive. To be focused, you must be knowledgeable, decisive and dedicated. You must know how to achieve your goal, the decisions to make in order to achieve it and the perseverance to carry out those decisions. After researching the requirements and procedures for pharmacy school, I enrolled in an admissions test-prep course, initiated contact with professors for recommendations and acquired a job as a pharmacy technician. It wasn't easy and required much strength, but it paid off when I received interview invitations, then finally an acceptance letter to my top-choice school. In addition to my acceptance into the Pharmacy School program at VCU, the above mentioned characteristics have enabled me to to achieve many goals in my everyday life. I am eager to continue on the path of success with each new challenge I encounter.

Parents and students should start narrowing their college choices by visiting the campus, speaking to students who attend the college, and attending meetings with colleges counselors. Analyzing campus life while deciding if the college best suits their lifestyle, also keeping in mind the majors provided. Students usually enter college undecided or vague about their major, students should consider attending a college rich in majors. Once parents and students have agreed on the college, students should take their first semester very seriously , since these should be the easiest years of college. Student should try their hardest to achieve a G.P.A of a 3.5 or higher in their first year of college. Not only does achieving a high G.P.A boost a students self-esteem yet will also increase the students chances for being accepted for vital interships towards their career. College isn't only about grades and academics but college is said to be " The best years of life" . Who can complain about hanging out with friends 24-7? Join clubs, sports, attend lectures, meetings, concerts, go to plays, be invovle with the community. College are the best years of life that should not be taken forgranted.

The best advice for parents and students is to work together and to listen to each other. Parents and students should explore campuses they are interested in together and discuss their visit afterwards. I feel the more open they are with each other the easier the process can be and the more comfortable everyone feels with the finalized college selection. It is wise for students to evaluate colleges by considering programs each college offers and how well established their department of interest is at the college. It is always smart to review the professors and classes offered at each college. It is also neccessary for students to be honest with themselves and to think about where they feel most comfortable. This helps students decide between college locations, size, and other aspects of college life. One of the most important things to consider with each college is the cost and the amount of assistance each college is willing to provide. The cost should not be the determining factor, but cost should be considered and planed for properly. Once students select a college, they should enter college life with confidence and an open mind to different people and opportunites while being safe.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would change perspectives. I would tell myself to take my education seriously. One should value every opportunity because they may soon disappear with the wind. I would invest in more financial readiness classes and a budget so that I can anticipate what lies ahead when living the life of a college student. I would mention joining the Armed Forces so that I can gain valuable career experience, see the world, and to learn more about cultural and community relations using my education. I would also emphasize the importance of giving back to one's family as well as to the community. Volunteering is one important aspect that improves a person's self worth and personal growth. I would also provide the younger me with more avenues to connect with community resources so that I can be able to handle my future that currently consists of single parenthood, a career, life choices, relocation with the military, familial relationships, conflict resolution, continuing education, financial issues, and dealing with two teenagers that have been diagnosed with special needs. A strong college education can enhance my quality of life for the better.

Finding the right college is an incredibly demanding process. Student testimonials probably give the best assessment of a school; however, getting an honest student opinion can be difficult. Go to campuses on a weekday - although it's easier to go on weekends, you miss out on some of the atmosphere by going while classes are not in session. Explore campuses with a guided tour, but also take some time without a guide. Ask for help if you're lost - see how the average student responds. Read reviews of the college online and view some national rankings and statistics. Most importantly, though, figure out what you want in terms of size, demographics, location, etc. and pursue colleges that fit these preferences. Once you have chosen a college, get involved as early as possible with the campus community. Join student organizations as an underclassmen so that you can lead them as an upperclassmen - being one of the leaders at your university will provide you with a much more satisfying college experience. Learn via classes, but also take time and learn via internships, study abroad and other programs. This will provide the most holistic and fulfilling education your college can offer.