George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

When finding the right college for you, meet with your high school guidance counselor and decide what your major will be, or at least decide what your interests are. They will help find the colleges that cover your interests academically. To be pick the number one college for you, however, you are going to have to dig a little deeper. There are websites where students give testimonials, rate their school, and offer statistics comparing the schools. These websites offer you the personal information that college brochures and college websites do not. You will be able to discover just how involved the students are, what they really do on the weekends, what stigmas are associated with the college, etc. Once you are in your college, you are going to experience something similar to culture shock. Getting involved in as many things possible freshman year, truly helps you adjust and love college. Go to the events your school hosts, the games, club meetings, etc. They are a great way to meet new people, put your name out there, and help you discover the person you are becoming. By sophomore year, you be able to narrow the activities to what suits you.

To: Shane From: Your Future Self Subject: Advice to My High School Self 1. Take CLEP tests and Dual Enrollment and AP classes NOW to prepare for college level work, reduce college course load, and avoid thousands in tuition costs. 2. Keep your college freshman year course load down to 12-14 hours a semester. 3. If your college offers a Freshman Transition course, take it. You’ll have a better appreciation of the college resources available. 4. If your college offers you the opportunity to live in a dorm with students of similar interest, do so. It facilitates the development of friendships and your integration into the college community. 5. Keep a calendar to manage all your assignments and due dates. It’s the best way to manage your time and ensure your work is completed, and turned in, when due. 6. Organization is integral to success. Therefore, organize your paper, as well as your computer files. 7. Problems in a course? Don’t hesitate to seek help from a study group, teacher’s assistant, professor, or tutor before a problem becomes a failure. 8. Remember, help is only a phone call away when the inevitable laundry question arises.

There are so many factors that go into choosing the right college for an individual. First, the parent and student need to consider financial factors and locations that are suitable for the student. Once this is discussed, it is important to think about possible future career moves so the student can narrow down specific majors of interest. In addition, the student should research the clubs, sports, and organizations that different colleges of interest have to offer. These are key factors that will help the student and the parent to make an educated decision on whether or not a school is ideal. Once these options have been researched, it is vital that the parent(s) and the child visit the schools together to get a feel for the environment, the students, and the faculty. Now, the student can apply to the colleges of their choice, and for any scholarships or financial aid they see fit. Going to college is truly a privilage and a wonderful experience, so it is important that the student make the most of it by studying hard, meeting new people, and forming friendships that will last forever. College life is a great transition into the working world.

Dear Kati, You're a high school senior and about to graduate. You finally recieved your acceptance letter to George Mason University. Congrats! You worked very hard for this moment. I know how excited you are to leave home and start a new life for yourself. Before you leave though, I have some advice for you. 1# Don't Forget You're Purpose When making new friends, attending events, and joining clubs, it's easy to get caught up in college's social scene. Although being involved on campus and having a social life is important, academics come first. Gaining knowledge and earning a degree are your ultimate goals. That's why you came to college in the first place! 2# Time Management Make schedules and prioritize your responsibilities. Pay attention to deadllines and never procrastinate. Using your time wisely is the key to success and avoiding stress. 3# Try and Do Everything... Legal! Attending such a diverse campus and living so close to Washington D.C., take advantage of the unquie oppurtunities that the area offers. Experiment with fashion trends, try new foods, and explore D.C.'s nightlife. Have fun, but always be safe! Sincerely, Your College Self

Choosing the right college is one of the most important decisions you will make in your life. To make it easier, be sure to keep a few simple points in mind. The three most important aspects of a college include: academics, professors, and student life. Academics is definitely the most important aspect when you are looking at colleges. You should make sure that the college is credible, offers your major and check into the average size of the classes. Secondly, the types of professors are imperative to your learning. The professors should be friendly, excellent in their fields, and eager to help students learn to the best of their ability. Next, student life is important because the social aspect of college can build important social skills you will need for your whole life. Be positive that you enjoy being on campus and that you feel a sense of belonging. Also, take a look at the facilities and housing areas. Conclusively, it is extremely important to visit the campuses of the schools you apply to. If you keep these three points in mind, you can assure yourself that you will make the most out of your college experience.

Work out your priorities in regards where you want to go. Is the price of going to college a priority for you? Or maybe location? Do you want access to a world-known faculty? How about a specialized university? Do you want to go to a diverse school? Do you prefer private or public schools? Maybe you want to go to a small or even a large college. Starting looking for scholarships as soon as possible. Identify your area of interest or major early if you can. This could help locate scholarships and grants targeting your field of interest. In addition, some majors, such as science or engineering, require students as early as their first semester in college to follow a set of predetermined schedule of classes. Keep in touch with your high school professors, counselors, administrators, and faculty as they will help provide you with recommendations to your desired schools. If even a university may not require it, you increase your chances of receiving admission. Be prepared to take care of yourself. You will need to know how to do laundry, cleaning, and cooking. Be prepared to be on your own physical and emotionally. Be prepared to be homesick.

All four year colleges have the same basic curriculum. The first two years involve many university and college/department specific requirements, and then the next two years involve electives and requirements for the chosen major. A degree is a degree no matter where it is earned. Tuition pays for a high caliber academic experience whether a student decides to attend a community college or Harvard. But en route to finding the right college, the best advice I can give is to find a school atmosphere that is comfortable for the incoming student. It is difficult to concentrate on studies when a student is somewhere that does not fit into their comfort zone. For many, it is the first time that these young adults are living away from home, away from the safety net of loved ones and familiar places. It is difficult to succeed when a student cannot settle themselves comfortably into a new home. Joining extracurricular activities may help develop a bond with the university and students, but it is not the solution. Once a sports practice is over, a student must still return to the same dorm room, the same cafeteria, and the same college life.

Primarily I would tell myself that realizing my inner purpose would have an immense positive effect on my outer purpose in life. Acknowledging that Music composition and performance are parts of my outer purpose, I would tell myself I need to align with the joy that is already within me, and not to look for happiness brought out by new and desired material objects. I would probably be confused about this statement years ago because I was caught up in aimless content regarding the people in my life and how they would help or hurt my education and later successes. If I had this advice I would have probably handled certain situations with equal heart, but without as much emotional attachment. I would have been more accepting to the formlessness of the social organism that manifests into the college experience. I don't see any of my past experiences at school as negative or positive, I have just become aware of myself and the doubts I had surrounding those situations. I believe that with that advice I would have brought out far more positivity and my interactions and in-class experiences would have been less stressful and less concerning.

When you arrive at college, do not be afraid to interact with others and get involved in on-campus organizations. Everyone on campus has been in your position at some point no matter what year he or she may be, and creating friendships allows for both socializing and networking for future job opportunities. Do not continue procrastinating as you do in high school, because deadlines will approach and your stress level will be heightened because of it. The sooner you complete assignments, the less anxiety you will feel. Study, or learn how to study. Although you may not have had to study while in high school, tests and quizzes occur at a much more rapid rate in college: you learn a year's worth of material in three and a half months. In high school, teachers go over the same material multiple times; they may not do that while in college. Because of this, you must learn to manage time wisely in order to study for your classes. Furthermore, classes are more concept-based rather than memorization, learn how to stop memorizing terms and actually grasp the concepts. Finally, make sure you explore your off-campus environment while you can.

When looking for the right college/university there are several factors that parent/student needs to use as guidelines for choosing the correct school. The top two most important issues I believe are: A) Whether or not the college offers a good program for the area that the student wishes to go into, and B) The financial aspect. If the student/parent is going to struggle to finacially afford a more prestigious university, then maybe they should look into a less expensive one, but one that still offers a good education, with the required field of study for the student. The amount of stress and frustration money issues can cause will be considerably less so and make for a more enjoyable college experience. However, making the most of the college experience I believe is solely up to the student. Getting involved in different student activites that interest you is a fantastic way to meet a whole new group of people who share the same interests as you. This might require stepping out of your comfort zone and you might feel as though you are putting yourself out there, but the reward in the end with be worth the beginning struggle.