George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

I would advise myself to banish the creeping fingers of the pesky pestilence called senioritis, to keep my academic drive as enthusiastic as always. I would advise myself to not worry about college life, to reassure myself that the responsibilities are not as scary as they seem, that my goals are achievable no matter the obstacles in front of me. I dream of an apotheosis, I dream to become immortal by leaving behind an envious legacy founded by education and merit.

Don't try to sell yourself short. If your afraid that you can't afford college then try and talk to advisors. Atempt at doing your best! Rather do your best! If life hands you lemons then make lemonade. I know that the fear of failing is crippling but don't let that subside your dreams of succeeding. College isn't as fearful as people make it sound. It is easy and with friends its easier. So just go for what you think is right and let time and life do the rest.

I would definitely recommend visiting the schools you are considering and instead of going on a campus tour with a student ambassador, visit the school during a school week if possible. Or visit on a weekend during a semester. This will give you a better idea of what the campus life is like-you can always ask students questions and I'm sure they would help you out. To make the most of your experience don't be afraid to meet new people or try out new clubs.

So far i have gotten a vast amount of life experience. I am currently enrolled within the ROTC program so it taught me alot of survival, land navigation, and drill and ceremony skills. Also since i am currently majoring in communications, for that class I have learned and enhanced my skills to speak in front of a large group of people. I also overcame my communication apprehention problem as i constantly prepared and practiced to improve my speech technique.

The variety of opinions and experience brought by the equally varied group of students, staff and faculty have strongly encouraged an open outlook on just about everything. Rarely have I felt uncomfortable expressing my opinion. Furthermore, my experience as a member of the student staff on campus has provided me with valuable customer service and other practical experience that employers look for in potential employees. All in all, I'm very glad I came here.

I would have advised myself to go straight to college out of High School. I took a break after High School before going to college so I could work and make money. It took me a while to get back into school after my break. I believe if I would have continued my education after High School, I would already be working in the medical field; which has always been my goal in life. Although, I do have the motivation to continue my education, I prolonged my journey.

If I had to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to get ready for a wild ride, and not in a good way. I would reassure myself that I would do well academically, but would warn myself about some of the people I would meet. I would tell myself to be upfront with people about being shy, introverted, and an anxiety sufferer and to not let the teasing and bullying about these qualities to hurt me as much as they did.

College experience equiped me with great communication and leadership skills. It is helping me alot in everyday tasks, specially in professional life. Investment of time and money at college is the best investment I ever made in my life. Because it yields to many times larger and ever increasing profit, as compared to any other investment options available in market. Communication skills I learned in college is helping me in job as communicator.

Do not choose schools based on your major and go in as undeclared. You should look as college as a time to explore your options and find out what it is that you really enjoy. If you pick a college based on your major, you may not get that time to widen your horizons. Also, it is possible that you will be dissatisfied with the program your school offers. Pick schools that offer a wide variety of programs and is well rounded to suit all programs.

Prepare to study more your last two years of school. The work load does get significantly higher and you must get in that frame of mind and sacrefice sleep and other things to keep up your grades. Plan, plan, plan. Plan your four years out so that you can actually finish in four years. Very few people actually finish in four years. Take harder classes your first two years so you do not have to swamp yourself your last two years.