George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

I wish someone told be that either you'll have a difficult first or second semester in school. All I was told was that most freshman had a tough first semester. Well, this wasn't the case for me but I did have a tough second semester. After that, it's been tough ever since. Also, I wish someone told me picking classes becomes a challenge. I've experienced all this with facing limited course selection during certain semesters or not finding the professor I want. Since I'm in my major, I'm still balancing my major as well as my gen ed requirements. Unfortunately, my remaining gen eds include foreign language and science courses. Importantly, I wish I'd been told that college becomes more difficult after freshman year. Upperclassmen, especially sophomores, receive a lot less academic or transition support with their classes, their major, and navigating through school. People like to assume you know more past freshman year, but this is simply not the case.

Something I wish I had known before attending George Mason is all of the deadline dates for on-campus jobs. As an off-campus student working part-time at an off-campus restaurant, at times the constant back and forth commute can get a bit hectic. Being able to get an on campus job would minimize commute time and would be very convinient during the school year. I also wish I would have known about all the different clubs and organizations that were available so that the due dates to join wouldn't have crept up so quickly.

In high school, it was fairly easy to get involved and take on leadership roles, but in college it's a little different. I wish I had known coming in, that I would have to put in a lot more effort and time if I wanted to be a leader on campus and get involved. There are lots of opportunities but unlike high school where teachers are there to guide you, in college it's all about individuality and showing what you can do. The time commitments for different activities are also far greater but well worth it.

Before I started attending George Mason, I really wish I had known how many of my credits had transferred from high school. Knowing that I already had 16, I would like to have attended summer school to try to graduate a year early. I would also have liked to know how big sororities and fraternities are. We have a lot at GMU, and even if you don't join one, it is important that you join something, because those people become you new family. If you don't learn to meet new people, you get lonely.

Believe it or not nothing. I had a very good experience during the research process of selecting George Mason University. The orientation was amazing and friendly and focused. I met my dorm mate on the first day. We are now best friends. The only thing that I would have liked to have known was how to plan for class scheduling. Planning in out ahead so that you don't have to revise your schedule based on class size. That really is it. The entire experience has been very positive.

I wish I had known: that the communication major is a joke, but that the student media experiences would make up for that loss (i.e. I should have picked a better major); that despite the University's protests, it really is a commuter school and is like a funeral on the weekends; that cars really are necessary on campus if you want to go out at night because the bus system is only nicely functional in the daytime; and that everybody is at Mason simply as a means to an end.

I live to discover and to test my abilities; if I had to know of anything beforehand, it would be just how much fun I would have at George Mason. That way, I wouldn't spoil my activities and challanges, but at the same time know of the excitement I would soon experience. I had a lot of fun at my late night study sessions at my friend's dorms, my time at the library, and the feeling of joy as I realize I am one step closer towards my goal of curing aging and cancer.

I wish that I had known how serious you have to be about your course work in order to succeed. I treated my freshmen fall semester like I had treated high school and it wasn't enough. I did not receive the grades I had wanted or was used to earning. I got my act together and now, as a sophomore, I'm making all A's. I wish I had developed an effective study program for myself and I knew that college requires a lot of personal initiative.

I am from the area, therefore I knew much of the school before I attended; however, George Mason is a located in a great location. Mason is in short distance of Arlington, and Washington D.C. A George Mason student has many opportunities for great jobs and internships. Everything that a person needs is in near reaches of the location and it is a great metropolitan area to meet businessmen and experience other opportunties.

Before I came to George Mason University I wish I would have known the advantages of joining the Honors College. The Honors College provides a vast amount of opportunities that aren’t available to regular students. They have smaller class sizes, unique learning communities, and are offered scholarship. Looking back at my application I think I would have benefited from selecting to be considered for it.