George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

I wish I would have known how important time management would be. Being that there is no parental guidance at school it is up to you to determine if you should go out with friends or stay and study for an exam. You are not told when you can or can’t go out, so it is up to you to be able to make wise decisions You must be able to balance you academic life along with your social life.

That this school is a far bigger party school than I originally believed. If you're not in a sorority or fraternity, your social life can be pretty much non-existent. Likewise, I wish I had known the school doesn't offer much in the way of financial aid. Both of my parents are disabled, and can't help me pay my tuition, so I'm already $15,000 in debt with less than a semester in.

I wish I would have known more about the fast-paced curriculum that college has in general. Classes meet less times than in high school and it was very intimidating at first. Also, I wish I would have know more about the cost of books in college. Textbooks are very expensive in college and if I would have know this, I might have budgeted better before I came to George Mason.

Before comming to college I wish I would have had more experience signing up for classes and understand how that process works. Another aspect of life as a freshmen is getting involved. When I look back at my freshman year, I wish that I would have joined a sorority or become involved in another area of campus life. When you start late there is alot of catching up to do.

The fact that this campus is part of many organizations regarding abroad programs. I wish I knew this to then have been able to make long term plans to study abroad for a year. The freshman advising did not work too well for me so I wish I were informed about the majors/job opertunities offered here before attending to actually have an idea of what to do.

Something that I wish I would have known about George Mason University is the relationship between the staff and students. Some students have difficult because of professor teaching methods such as no hand in assignment, online coursework, and indirected teaching and testing. Meaning that sometimes test don't always reflected was is being taught in class.

Before coming to this school, I wish I had a better idea of which classes I needed to take for my major and what classes I should take. There really wasn't much help available to me as a freshmen coming into the university. I quickly learned that you must discover many things on your own or seek the help of your peers a lot more than staff and faculty.

I wish I had known just how hard I had to work to keep up with my classmates. Everyone who goes to George Mason has a spark of their own; it amazes me that each student is able to bring so much knowledge with them. It makes coming to class a fun learning experience because I know that I am going to have to challenge myself in new ways everyday.

I wish I would have known more about the resources that GMU offers all students such as the Writing Center. Some teachers will offer extra credit on an essay if you take it to the Writing Center. There they have a staff of peers and graduates that will help any student improve thier essay and writing skills.

Doing well in High School actually is important! That listening to teachers and visiting college students can really give you an edge over the millions of other students nationwide. Doing well in A.P. classes can really prepare you for college and save you thousands of dollars, and they're free.