George Mason University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for George Mason University

NIARA

George Mason University is wonderful place to attend. There is always something for students to do. Whether there's a concert going on, club meetings and much more. Anything you could think of doing is on this campus. If you like adventure then there is a club for that. It provides transportation and gives students opportunities to explore a variety of experiences.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews about GMU, particularly coming from local students and families. People claim its not big enough, not influential enough, and doesn't have exactly what they need (these conversations usually come with comparison to "bigger" VA or DC colleges). Maybe it's because I'm out-of-state and didn't grow up in NoVA, maybe its because of my major, or maybe just because I'm not a very particular person and appreciate things as they are, but I really have enjoyed my experience at GMU. The campus is absolutely lovely, and while I know GMU has a rep as a commuter college, on-campus housing and facilities are really well-done overall. There's enough public transportation around that car-less plebs (aka me) have plenty of opportunities to access cool shops, restaurants, and things-to-do in Fairfax and Washington D.C. The location is especially beneficial, because there's so many opportunities for a wide range of fields. I'm studying within the environmental sciences, so I have lots of museums, government offices, and research facilities to choose from as I explore work within my field. I know those with majors related to politics, international affairs, finances, and tech also do very well here. There's also a lot of on- and off-campus work available in customer service and other basic jobs, for those looking to build up experience and make quick money. Most of the curriculum has been effective and organized, from what I've seen so far, and most of the teachers seem to be great. Academic and related extracurricular opportunities are easy to access, and most people I know take advantage. As a whole, GMU is a great school with lots of chances for students to go on to even greater things!

Nakato

I transferred to GMU after freshmen year, and although it has it problems like every other school, but they do offer so much! Especially being around the DC area, they have all the activities for you to get involved, various majors/minors, and opportunities to further yourself. My only major problem is that there isn't really any school spirit overall.

Robert

George Mason University has a diverse environment which helps promote student open-mindedness. It introduces students to new things and experiences that encourages outside the classroom learning. Over the course of a collegiate career, it isn’t solely the in-classroom learning that shapes someone into the person best fit for their future occupation but the outside the classroom learning also. Being at George Mason you will see that there is a balance between in-classroom and out of classroom learning. It is very important to incorporate both into a college experience and George Mason is a great university that does that. Overall, I believe George Mason, when compared to other schools, is underrated when taking into consideration all that it offers.

Misbah

George Mason is a very diverse school where it is easy for people of many different backgrounds are able to feel comfortable and safe on campus. It is easy to make friends and the general environment is very accepting. There are also many different activities which go on around campus, making it easy for all types of people to find something they are interested in. However, the academics at George Mason is definitely not one of the university's strengths. Mason doesn't really listen to their students when the student feels as though there is something wrong with the professor and the course itself. They tend to turn a blind eye and don't fix any issues taking place in the classroom. Other than that, however, Mason is a fun and accepting environment where all students can feel comfortable and enjoy.

Colleen

I really dislike George Mason University. The school itself seems great in theory. However, upon attending, I have come to realize that GMU is not a place I would wish upon anyone. Staff and faculty are not helpful in the least and the other students I have met are not nice people. I will say the dining hall has wonderful food.

Nicholas

George Mason University is a well-sized campus off to the side in the county of Fairfax, Virginia. The campus itself is pretty secluded from many places, however, even within its seclusion, there's just about everything a student could ask for in college life. The classes provide a good opportunity for education as well as a large variety of courses and majors to fit just about anyone. The campus also prides itself on its diverse culture, which is extremely apparent after taking a small jog around the campus. Overall, I'd say this was the perfect place to have my higher education.

Tamira

My overall opinion of George Mason University is that it is a fantastic school. Specifically, a lot of diversity can be seen; each student is from a different, cultural background and one can learn so much from each individual. In addition, the facilities are excellent. For example, the grandiose Johnson Center has a large number of resources, study areas, and restaurants for students to relax or finish work. However, if one thing were to change at George Mason University, it would be the party scene. There are a lot of fun events for on-campus students, but there are not a lot of events on campus for off-campus students, particularly on the weekends.

frankie

It is a great school for people who cannot afford to spend too much money on tuition. Many students find it easy to live at home and commute, which allows them to save money and prevent themselves from taking loans. The school definitely needs to hire more professors and give us more options when we select classes. It also needs to focus on creating more and cheaper parking spaces, instead of redesigning buildings throughout the semester. The school should put more money into providing more benefits for students. I am glad I decided to attend this school for my bachelor's degree.

Risa

According to a review done on niche.com, George Mason's overall rank as a school was a B+. Academics Grade: B Athletics Grade: B Campus Quality Grade: B Diversity Grade: A Local Area Grade: B Professors Grade: C Safety Grade: B Student Life Grade: B

I love it! I love the distance from Washington DC and that there is always something to do around campus. During the Election, many important political figures visited campus; Hilary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Michelle Obama, etc! Plus there's always a band or a musician visiting us in the campus' own Patriot Center!

Falak

The amount of diversity present makes it such an appropriate school for those who crave a degree in liberal arts but there are also some strong science departments (which is a career path I'm more interested) but the culture is very inviting making it a good option and highly affordable which increases the appeal making it a good school.

Natalie

I enjoyed my experience at George Mason University and will be returning for my second degree. The campus has something for everybody, and the diversity of the students gives you exposure to new cultures and walks of life. Some of the procedures and offices seem discombobulated at times when it comes to communicating with one another, but it's nothing glaring as long as you keep on top of them. Overall, I had a positive experience of GMU, and am proud to be a Patriot!

Marcus

I think that George Mason University is a fantastic school. The campus life is vibrant and extremely diverse, which is exceptional. The diversity adds to the learning experience, making the students at George Mason an educated group on world affairs and different ethnicities. This also makes Mason students a more accepting and open minded group of people. George Mason's accepting and unique campus environment has made it feel like it is my home.

Faith

George Mason is an amazing school that truly cares for its students. There are always professors, advisors, and other faculty members willing to meet outside of class to discuss work or help with individual research. Campus life at Mason is absolutely thriving; there are an abundance of clubs and student organizations ranging from student government to quidditch. There is a place for everyone no matter your interests and the students are extremely welcoming. It is very hard not to feel included at Mason. The schools location makes it very easy to visit D.C. on the weekends and there is a lot of diversity in the area to explore. Additionally, there are endless opportunities to research with professors, get internship credit, or study abroad. If you have ever wanted to try something new, there is probably a way to experience at Mason.

Melissa

I think George Mason University is a great environment to be in when you want to get away from things. The focus was usually on academics, making new friends, and building that social life up and around with joining a club or Greek Life. There's thousands of things to do, but the only way you could really think that way is if you get out and do it. The campus is pretty big and I think it's fun to get out with a group of friends and explore or seek out a hangout spot in the main center of campus. The scenery is beautiful in the spring time and there are plenty of birds and wildlife such as birds, ducks and even deer to be seen! Overall George Mason University, is a beautiful, well suited campus to be in and the people here are very diverse and opening to share their lifestyle back to you.

Karen

George Mason University is an amazing gem, a Virginia college that often is overlooked unjustly due to the established giants like UVA and William and Mary in the state. The emphasis on undergraduate research here is unlike anything I have seen, and I investigated countless schools during my college search process. If you have an interest in pursuing research in any field, you have a multitude of opportunities to do so even as a freshman. One can participate in OSCAR and conduct an original study with a faculty mentor, or hop onto a currently running project headed by a professor or graduate student.

Phillip

I believe this school unifies a certain type of person: These students are committed to their goals and they see George Mason for what college is intended to be: a stepping stone to a career that you can enjoy. In this vein, the people that flock to George Mason make meaningful relationships and use these networks to set themselves up for a productive career and an overall happy life. With this attitude, there are certainly pros and cons; however I believe that this focus on the future only benefits Mason's students and prepares them for the workforce in a unique way that you will not easily find elsewhere.

Tenise

If you are looking to get away from your parents, but still want to be pretty close then this is your campus. The campus is relativity large, but it’s small enough that you feel like you are in your own community. Students can be seen walking around campus to get to class, to do fun activities, or get a quick bite to eat. Right now, as of 2019, they are starting to remodel the campus, so you might run into a lot of construction. The usual paths you would take aren’t straight forward as before, but other than that you will make your own paths to get to where you want to go quickly. The campus has a fun spirit about it with a great pep band called the Green Machine which usually plays with the many sports events we have. And if you want live plays the theatre students usually have them around too. Since we also have the Eagle Bank Arena, there are a lot of outside performers and events that usually make the night parking crowded. If you have a night class it would be wise to leave before the event is over, so you don’t get stuck in the traffic. The classes here are fun and so diverse, you wouldn’t be surprised if you stick around for just them. Course it would be wise to do your classes for your major and sprinkle the fun classes in between, so you won’t get too overwelled. But if that happens a lot of the professors and their assistants can help you catch up. There are also other programs, like the writing center, to help you out too. Once your brain is filled with knowledge you can chill at the different eateries. There are mess halls, like South Side, to do buffets or find name brand locations usually in the Johnson Center or around the campus if you want to try something you know well. All in all, George Mason is a campus you could love if you give it a try.

Thuraya

Attending George Mason University (GMU) has always felt like my personal destiny, both my parents and several family members are alumni of the university, and I grew up treating the Fairfax campus like my future home. Transferring this past semester to GMU was an interesting transition that I had not fully prepared myself for. I was coming from Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) where I had had an incredible two years, filled with amazing classes, fantastic professors, and an overall excellent academic experience. Coming from such a wonderful, supportive environment to a completely new one was slightly daunting, but nevertheless, as the semester progressed, GMU slowly began to truly feel like my school. I cannot say that I am 100 percent in love GMU yet, but the campus facilities, the amazing library, the faculty that I have come across, and the students that I have made friends with so far all have contributed to the sense of belonging that I feel at GMU. Time to really embrace being a Patriot!

Santiago

George Mason University could be better in its transparency. It is well known by the student body that certain schools, such as the law school and economics department, receives funding from conservative think tanks like the Koch foundation which dictates who this department hires (ex: the recent hiring of the controversial Justice Kavanaugh to teach a summer course) and what values and topics can be taught (the naming of the Antonin Scalia Law School is very telling of the politics involved) but the university refuses to make this information public. Additionally, allegations of sexual assault and harassment are not given enough consideration and the victims are often left without due process, the construction on campus (which significantly obstructs traffic) also has created an unsafe environments for students. One positive aspect of the school is that it offers a wide array of majors for students so you get the opportunity to meet a lot of cool folks from all walks of life. That, however, does not make up for the aforementioned elephant in the room

Jorge

Overall, I like George Mason because there isn't any sentiment of discontent and everyone is open to new cultures and people. It's also really interesting meeting new people from all over the world and the professors are really helpful if you go to their office hours. The food is okay, I wish it was better, but we are getting a Chipotle and more restaurants in the Johnson Center soon.

You've heard it before and you'll hear it again: Mason is a commuter school. This can make it hard to make lasting friendships with people that you meet. Mason excels in on-campus housing, academics, professors, and the variety of places to eat on-campus. However, the meal plan dining halls are terrible, the Wi-Fi is atrocious, and a significant potion of buildings on campus are old.

Jenkins

Some would argue that because George Mason is a commuter school it loses out on being a close-knit community but this fact is what allows Mason to expand so far past its boundaries and reach a diverse group of students. The breadth of interests on campus is huge and if you go looking you will definitely find your place. In addition to the people, George Mason University is a college dedicated to giving its students a real-world education. At Mason, the knowledge you gain in class is presented in a manner meant to leverage you into the career field you want. As such internships, research, and job opportunities are the air we breathe here in Fairfax.

George Mason is a great school for nearly any student. Being near D.C., there are plenty of opportunities to network and expand your knowledge. Moreover, most of the people on campus are friendly and helpful. The food available on campus is good and there is a shopping center across the street if students wish to make their own food or even watch a movie or explore.

Lydia

I moved to Northern Virginia with my family after graduation, as my father got a job in D.C. I basically grew up in Southern Spain, and although all my friends were American, I was a little scared of leaving my family and my country. We moved to a house in Fairfax, Virginia, where my sister could go to a good high school and my little brother to an awesome elementary school. I, in turn, could drive 10 minutes away to my classes, every day. It was a big adjustment, especially at first, but GMU really did a good job of helping me, and many other students, get involved. First of all, it's a really big commuter campus, so it didn't feel weird living at home. To help me feel more involved and meet new people, I joined Alpha Xi Delta, a great sorority who raises money for Autism Speaks. Next semester I plan on joining another club or writing for the college newspaper, The Fourth (IV) Estate. Another reason that makes this campus unique is it's rate of ethnic diversity. According to USN's Campus Ethnic Diversity list, GMU is one of the most diverse campuses in the country, with a myriad of clubs and organizations for everyone. Finally, one of the most important aspects of GMU, for me, is that the campus is SO close to D.C. You can catch the metro about 10 minutes away from campus and be in D.C. in 15. This, of course, allows hundreds of students each year have an internship in the city. I can't wait.

Ocie

George Mason is a Liberal Arts school that has amazing people with amazing opportunities to offer students of all majors and ages. It has a wonderful student community that feels alive, all hours of the week if you know the right people. Great atmosphere for making friends and getting to know your true self. GMU is a great place to grow, learn, and explore. I visited the campus and fell in love at first when I was in high school.

Mason had amazing teachers and it is incredibly diverse. Everyone is tolerant, friendly, and some what welcoming. . However, there is a lack of unity everyone seems to do there own thing or hang mostly in their group of friends or friends of a friend. But I guess that really depends on you. There is also barely any school spirit, most people leave campus for the weekends and it feels like a ghost town. The food is average I really wish they will change the meal plan. Overall its a good academically focused school.

Brenda

I am a transfer student who just started classes at Mason this Spring 2017. I live on campus so I am able to get the full Mason experience. I love the atmosphere of the campus; students are there to learn and focus on their studies. I also really appreciate all the programs and different things Mason has to offer. I am disappointed in the appoint of money that must go into everything including books, food, printing school work, etc.

Sergio

Overall, George Mason is a nice school. The first year housing is cramped and old. The dining halls are decent, get stale after a while though. Facilities are new and up to date, and most professors are very friendly. The distance from D.C is the selling point of the school.

Anthony

George Mason University is a campus that have opportunities for everyone. There are tons of majors and lots of resources for each major. The mechanical engineering department is very new and that has made it tough for ME students to get more involved outside of the classroom.

It is a beautiful school that I would encourage everyone to go check out because the campus is so beautiful and that is why I feel in love with the school but the school atmosphere as a whole is just wonderful! George Mason's Eaglebank Arena is so nice in the inside and I can't wait to attend concerts and basketball games there!

Riza Lei

George Mason University is a very welcoming place with plenty of opportunities to meet people of different cultures, participate in cultural events, and expand one's horizons both academically and socially. Some professors and departments are not that great, but there are other tutors, mentors, and even students, available to help one understand his or her academic material. The Chemistry Department could definitely use some improvement however.

ML

George Mason is a heavy commuter school as a result it seems like everyone is in passing. Because of that, Mason often times has a hard to rallying the student body to unite or feel together. Most people who attend the school work part-time and attend school or work full-time and attend school. Locally, Mason is a great family area but also as a result it is not much of a party school.

Keyaira

My overall opinion of George Mason University is that it’s a great school where they give students options and the ability to succeed in everything that students strive for. The dorms and food is great, the classes are filled with endless access to what the student major in and the social and environment is friendly.

Courtnee

George Mason is definitely a cool school in terms of geographic location. It's about 45 minutes away from Washington D.C., which is great for internships and job/ career opportunities. The school itself is in the middle of an area that is close to basic utilities, but you need to either take a bus or pay for Uber/Lyft to get there. It is a decent school, but make sure you come here for the right major. If you are looking for a more "artsy" school, this may not be the first place to look.

George Mason University is a phenomenal university with a diverse ethnic population. The academic quality of George Mason teaches to to be a critical thinker and think outside of the box in the classroom as well as real life opportunities. You just have to take the time to to access them within your account. The fact that every class in your major or and life's goal can be mapped out for you to oversee consistently to make sure you are on the right track. George Mason is designed for the modern student, offering an exceptional array of majors, and nearly as many minors, even across broad disciplinary boundaries. Engineering majors can minor in business, business majors can minor in art history, and artists can minor in information technology. Students can study abroad and can switch between majors any time. Students can even choose different ways to complete their core requirements, choosing from a menu of options, from courses linked through common themes in Mason Topics, through a program that ties subjects to applied challenges in New Century College. Interested in clubs, D1 Athletics, Greek life , Center for Arts, George Mason is right for you, access your account to view the 500 various clubs and the 1000s of events. If you need a study group, want an entertaing night, attend an event, log in, you will find it. If your worried about the location, don't. George Mason location is 20 minutes from Washington D.C., the campus is beautiful, clean and secure. It is easily accessible to to airports trains, bus and malls. You need a job to offset the cost of college, log in and apply for jobs You always have access to fellow Patriots. Take advantage of every opportunity to learn, succeed, be happy graduate and give back to this phenomenal University who helped you succeed! Go Mason!

Hunter

I love the school, the people and places are so nice. The overall feel of the school s great.

Sabrina

George Mason University has become my home away from home. I was nervous when I arrived because I am an out-of-state student, I was scared I wouldn't fit in but little did I know that even within the first few weeks, George Mason has become a huge part of my life. I feel free to say how I feel, I have an opinion and no one shuts me down and most of all I have a community to share my experiences. I feel comfortable and glad that I chose Mason because no other school would have been more better for me.

Valeria

George Mason University is a place where anybody can fit in. Every student benefits from the wonderful diversity of interests, cultures, ethnicities, religions, tastes, and personalities. There is a very positive energy that radiates from the faculty and students which consequently allows for strong and healthy relationships to form. Mason does a spectacular job of appreciating each program of study and they encourage every student to reach their potential. This university inspires, encourages and provides the necessary resource for any student who is willing to work hard for their success.

Andrew

The campus is a nice size with older facilities, brand new construction and lots of small forests evenly distributed about. Although the university has been expanding recently, and it can sometime feel crowded when there are big events, walking around the campus is enjoyable, especially when you find students performing outside or holding fund raisers. Dorms are smaller than you expect, honestly the older dorms are not very comfortable, but if you get along with your roommate it is manageable. Three dining halls are all OK, with a nice spread of buffe-style options, however after months of meal-schedule rotations you begin to notice the same stuff and eventually will get tired of it. Luckily there are tons of external food shops on campus, including but not limited to the expanding food court in the JC. The most important things to look at when considering Mason are: 1) It is a commuter campus, so dorms are not the best and people tend to empty out on weekends. 2) There is a more studious honors college area for freshmen, and then President Park (The Party Place). 3) Dining halls are getting crowded and lack diversity of food after a while so prepare to spend some money on food from the small university Mall nearby.

D

As an out-of-state student, I believe that George Mason is a very well-rounded university. There is a major/minor for everyone and the majority of professors are there is help you succeed. There isn't a huge student life on or off-campus, so if that's what you're looking for then you have to seek it out yourself. However, the student population is very large and the campus is buzzing with people during the day. There are many places on campus to study, such as Fenwick Library and the Johnson Center. University offices and services are generally helpful, like the writing center, global education office, etc., however, you must not be afraid to seek out assistance yourself.

maura

I love every second here.

Shaun

I enjoy it a lot. It's a nice change of pace from where I'm from (a smaller community). Fairfax, VA is beautiful and has a ton of places to go to and a ton of stuff to do. The close proximity to DC is a plus as well. The amount of diversity here is incredible; I've never met so many people from different walks of life. The education is good for the price too. There are extracurricular activities for anything you can think of here.

Tamara

Love it ! Professors, advisors, counselors, students are very nice and helpful.

kathryn

Mason has many opportunities for students to succeed and get involved, but there's no overwhelming presence of one organization or another- nothing scary like that. Sports are kind of big here, but we all really go for the pep band. Facilities could be better and housing is an issue, especially for upperclassmen. We complain about dining but it could be worse and sometimes the dining halls do cute themed events which adds some life to the food. The Fenwick Library is amazing and, like many places on campus, offer various sessions for furthering knowledge and skills along with interest based activities (too bad funding is dwindling). I chose Mason for the offered programs and I most likely won't regret my choice to stay.

Allison

I enjoy going to GMU because it is the perfect in-between school. While it has plenty of opportunities to get involved and get the college experience, it also allows students to have their own life outside of school. The location is great because it is easy to get to D.C. as well.

Milagro

GMU is overall a good school. Like any other school GMU can be very expensive but it is a great school for people who want to live at home, commute, work part time or full time. Because GMU is a commuter school, parking is always a problem. There aren’t enough spaces for the amount of people who attend GMU. I hope in the future they will expand parking to accommodate the amount of students they accept and lower the cost of parking passes. GMU has great professors with real life experience in the fields we are trying to peruse a career in. I appreciate the guidance my advisor has given me. Although my classes have not been easy I know that the challenges I am facing now are preparing me for the future. GMU is a respected and credible school in the Northern Virginia area and receiving a degree from GMU is a huge accomplishment. I’m excited to embark on my life journey after graduating and I hope to leave Mason better than when I started. I personally wish I got to experience more from Mason during my time here but between work and school it was extremely difficult to add an extra curricular to my already full plate. I appreciate GMU requiring us to do an internship before graduating because I have been able to meet a few people working in different health care settings that are successful and have been in my shoes. This allowed me to network and gain new connections and hopefully a job opportunity in the future. Mason is a great school for networking and meeting new people. I love how divers Mason is and there are people from various backgrounds in each of my classes. Mason will give you a great education if you apply yourself and if you’re lucky you’ll meet some great people along the way. Best of luck to anyone wanting to attend Mason, I hope you succeed. Dreams don’t work unless you do!

Payton

I enjoy that George Mason isn't a concrete jungle. There's obese squirrels and raccoons around every turn, and the occasionally talkative goose. When it came to picking a college this was an important aspect to me, and what made me pick this school was seeing someone feeding a deer a granola bar at orientation.

Zulfa

I think it's a very good mix of being suburban enough to not be overcrowded and polluted like a city college but close enough to Washington DC to get the benefits of a city life. I like that it is safe and is a very innovative and open-minded campus of ambitious individuals. I appreciate the faculty and staff, because you get the sense that they love to work here specifically, and tend to commit to their students fully. More than anything, I appreciate the diversity that Mason embraces and encourages inclusion of all backgrounds.