George Washington University Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Isabella

Basketball is the biggest sports team we have. While lots of people do go to games, don't expect tailgates or huge parties accompanying them. No football team at GW, so that seems to drain a lot of sports enthusiasm from people.

Meredith

GW's sport scene is almost nonexistent. We don't have a football team, which is normal for almost all of the DC area schools, but we are very excited about basketball! George Washington has a great basketball team! However, other than that, we're not much of a sports school!

The sports scene is not that big at all. Our best team is our basketball team and home games don't always fill the arena. If you play a sport you are definitely giving advantages and if you play a club sport it is an experience you wil find yourself very immersed in.

Sports are a distant fourth to politics, clubbing and the arts/cultural activities at GWU. Everyone goes to political debates, Acapalalooza (annual a ccapella concert of all the groups on campus) and to any performances staring Capitol Funk or Bhangra dance (award winning dance teams). But basketball games can still be well attended though, as far as I have seen, especially bigger games such as with JMU, and people will wear their school colors. Basketball is definitely the most talked about sport on campus. I personally like tennis and have attended a match and follow the stats on that. But again, this is no sports school.