George Washington University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Mateo

The stereotype is very rich kids that can be a little bit full of themselves. To a certain extent this can be true but for most part, a lot of the people are very friendly and outgoing. I was shocked at the way I was proven wrong about the stereotype.

Coby

.

There are not too many stereotypes at George Washington. There are frats which run the social scene in terms of events taking place on campus. GW is full of rich kids who go out to high end clubs and other high end places in DC. But there are some athletes that seem to stay within their own circle. There are definitely some kids you would never notice.

There are a lot of different kinds of people at GW, but a lot of people say one of the big stereotypes are kind of preppy and frequently very well off people, possibly because of how much it costs to go there. There is also a lot of greek life, which is more prominent on campus than it might seem from how it is described. A lot of people participate in social fraternities and sororities and also in the professional and academic ones. It is also a campus which is very open with different sexual orientations, and there is a lot of diversity there.

The stereotype is rich white kids and rich international kids who are spoiled and privileged. Almost overwhelmingly accurate.

-

Iris

A lot of international affair students!

There is definitely a stereotype of the typical GW student - spoiled rich brat. And while there are some of those here (it's an expensive school, it's hard to avoid), it's not the only type of person here, or even the majority. A more accurate description of the typical GW student is someone who's really involved and passionate about more than one thing. It's almost impossible to find someone who doesn't do at least one thing outside of class, and it's far more common to be pretty involved in at least two or three things. So while there are plenty of daddy's girls with designer purses, there are also a lot of down-to-earth students who just want to get involved with the things they love.

The stereotype of GW students is that they are very politically savvy and wealthy. While this is the case with many GW students, the stereotype exists because these are the students who are often most visible in the University's public image because of the nature of how they get involved. As a member of the University Honors Program, I have seen a different side of GW-- students who are at GW on scholarships, love debating about philosophy, spend 8 hours on Saturdays at the library, or organize very nerdy group activities. There are also students at GW who are deeply involved with clubs and sports, and a heavy Greek presence. So it's hard to stereotype a GW student because they are so passionate about whatever they do, though these passions cover just about anything you can think of. GW students are passionate-- that is the only common denominator I have found.

Becky

They say that the stereotypical "GW girl" is very rich and superficial. And though that can be true, I think one of my professors explained it well: GW girls may dress nicely and have their nails done, but they are very committed to the real life applications of their classes and have traveled the world. Another GW stereotype is that the students are very driven and career focused. This one I would say is true. It seems like everyone is interning and thinking about what they want to do next. Even work study positions tend to be more interesting here.

Chloe

George Washington students are known to be active on campus (with student organizations, undergraduate research...) and off campus (participating in internships and using vacation periods as time to volunteer and give back to both the local and global community). The student body does live up to this stereotype. However, the stereotype is limited. Greek life is a big part of campus as well as an extremely diverse student body.

Chloe

George Washington students are known to be active on campus (with student organizations, undergraduate research...) and off campus (participating in internships and using vacation periods as time to volunteer and give back to both the local and global community).

The main stereotype is that students are rich, stuck-up, and preppy. While many students do come from privileged upbringings, the notion of kids being stuck-up or spoiled at gw is very overblown. There are tons of students that are friendly, smart, and willing to talk to and help out fellow students

Coby

Preppy. This stereotype seems accurate for the most part.

Curtis

A common stereotype of students at my school, the George Washington University, is that most students only came to GW because they were rejected from Georgetown University. While this may be true for a small portion of students at my school, this stereotype is largely inaccurate. I myself visited both George Washington and Georgetown when deciding which colleges to apply to and decided only to apply to GW. I felt that GW would be a better fit for my specific interests and I am sure many of my fellow students had a very similar experience.

Meredith

George Washington is an extremely expensive school. Thus, the stereotype that follows GW students is that they are all spoiled and rich. When I came to George Washington, I had the same idea. However, I've found that this stereotype is not accurate at all. Of course there are a number of students here that come from wealthy families, but most people have worked just as hard to be accepted at this school, and everyone is extremely down to earth, regardless of their family's annual income.

There seem to be two pervasive stereotypes of the typical G-dub student: The prohibitively rich, BlackBerry-addicted, skinny-vanilla-chai-tea-latte sipping former New England prep-schooler who takes class notes on an iPad and who, throughout his or her four years in the District, will remain underwhelmed by the variety of of D.C. nightlife, blissfully unaware of its existence outside of nearby Georgetown. The Ambitious Future President is the second stereotype, the kid in high school who was president of every club in which the position existed, and whose drunken conversations in college are quote-laden to an extent verging on verbal plagiarism – not with song lyrics or Adam Sandler references, but rather with the political wit of Aaron Sorkin's hit T.V. show, "The West Wing." In their own way, both stereotypes have their place at George Washington University. As one of the country's most expensive universities, it's inevitable that a portion of the student body will have come from a privileged background; likewise, GW's location in Our Nation's Capital inevitably attracts students with political ambitions. However, GW is not a small school, and while many colleges like to tout 'campus diversity' in their visitor's center pamphlets, I would say GW in fact makes good on the claim. I'm a creative writing major, and within my core group of friends there is a future congressman, doctor, psychologist, CIA agent (I'm sure of it) and environmentalist. We are all, all of us, also on scholarship, financial aid being one of GW's perhaps little-known but critical selling points. Are these stereotypes accurate? I've seen their embodiments. Are they indicative of GW life overall? I wouldn't still be here if they were.

The stereotype of GW is that we are "rich, smart, partiers." To a certain extent this is true because there are a number of privileged children, but a number of the students are working very hard to maintain scholarships. There is a great deal of partying, but it is possible to have a social life without being a part of it.

Just like any other college/university GW is filled with different kinds of people, with different interests, from different places. One of my favorite aspects of GW is the diversity found here especially in terms of international students. DC itself is a hub of the international community. Having said that GW is a very expensive school. There are plenty of people on scholarships, but the majority of people pay full tuition to come here. There's a lot of people you'll meet who throw down money on shopping and credit cards at bars like it's nothing. With this comes a lot of girls who wear a lot of make up, designer brands and always look put together. This also brings guys who can't get enough of their look in raybans, own too many pairs of boating shoes and often wear salmon colored pants. I don't know quite what to call this stereotype, but lets just say its the opposite of air jordans and hippie ladies. NOT to say those can't be found at GW. There's a little bit of everything definitely. But a lot of what was previously mentioned.

You've got every mix of student here. BUT there are no "football" jocks here. Sports aren't really big in GWU

Yinyu

Many people characterize students in GW as dump rich kids. They actually not! The student body here is really activated and have really advocated political voice. Sometimes we may seem a little bit "nerdy." In fact, GW students are very hard working.

The main stereotype of GW students is that they are wealthy and love to show it off. If you take a quick glance around campus you will probably notice girls using their Louis Vuitton bags to carry their books, and guys walking to class in Vineyard Vines. A good percentage of the students at GW come from wealthy families and have the clothes, accessories, cars, and expensive apartments to prove it. There are definitely exceptions to this stereotype because GW is known to give a great deal of financial aid, so not every GW guy and girl have loaded parents, in fact a lot of students have work study jobs or even part-time jobs. This stereotype may be true for the majority of undergrads, but it definitely does not define who they are as a person. After meeting and getting to know different students over the past two years of college, I have come to realize that the amount of money their families have does not correlate with how they act towards others. Many of these wealthy kids are still intelligent, outgoing, and approachable people.

After spending almost 4 semesters at the George Washington University, I would have to say that I have met more people who are foils to this stereotype than otherwise. These people do come from families that are well off compared to most families today; but they are nonetheless down-to-earth and very brilliantly minded individuals. A great number of students receive financial aid as well, which I personally believe proves that GW's stereotype is a little off center. The stereotype seems to target a very small group of people who do stand out, but the stereotype in this instance still remains inaccurate.

Desislava

B

Desislava

Being a large school, there are many stereotypes that GW students are associated with, some definitely have some truth to them and others not so much. The stereotype that all GW students are very politically opinionated and active is not true. Although there is definitely a politically vocal community (consisting mainly of the college Democrats and Republicans), the majority of the student body is pretty disinterested in politics. The only time this majority gets involved in something political is when there is a large rally or protest, such as last year's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. The stereotype that GW students are from NY/NJ/PA and very wealthy is for the most part true. A large portion of GW girls walk around with a blackberry, Starbucks latte, and very expensive designer bag. The stereotype that GW is in part very "Euro-Trash" also holds true. There is a substantial and very present international community, who hang out with each other and like to go clubbing and to NYC every other weekend. As with any large school, there will be a lot of stereotypes, some true and others not so much. Come visit and decide for yourself!

Rich, Spoiled, Smart, Fashionable, Friendly

The stereotype of students at my school are rich, spoiled northeastern kids who like to party all the time but get good grades. Yes, students at GW do like to party a lot, and do tend to maintain good grades at the same time. An overwhelming amount of students are from the northeast, but many also come from California and abroad. The majority of my friends are actually on financial aid, but there are plenty of rich students as well.

Most people have the common misconception that GW students are all rich and spoiled. Many believe that it's a crime to wear sweat paints to class if you attend GW, must own at least 4 Louis Vuitton bags, and wear Hunter boots as soon as you see a drop of rain on the ground. Yes there are of course many who do follow these trends but there is a whole other world of students that chose to drum to their own beat. Same thing for guys, occasionally you will meet that annoying guy who constantly talks about his father's ten businesses and his collection of vineyard vines ties, but there are normal guys here as well!

The first stereotype that comes to mind is "The GWU Girl". I could draw a cartoon of this character. She wears leggings as pants, has a designer bag, an iPhone and Starbucks cup in hand and her daddy's credit card ready to use. Now, there are a lot of wealthier people at GWU, a lot of people who are (or think they are) fashion forward and yes, we are addicted to our phones and coffee. But even the girls that may look like this are likely hard workers, nice people and with an open and international perspective, and there are fewer than people make it seem. Some other stereotypes are the Political Kid (I mean, we are all at least a little interested in politics, but some DO take it to a whole 'nother level) the Frat Guy Who Will Be Senator (this one is true) and the Fabulous Gay Man (yes. there are a lot of them and they are fabulous, being super successful in jobs and internships and always well dressed.)

A large stereotype about GW is the composition of the student population. Generally, it's that the majority of the students are from New Jersey or the New York area. Greek life is also very big on campus now - somewhere around 26{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population is involved in a fraternity or soroity. Truthfully, these stereotypes tend to be somewhat true. While these groups are a large part of campus, it's certainly not the majority. These are just the loudest, most noticable groups on campus.

Robb

GWU: gay white university Jew U NONE of this is accurate!

Emmanuella

The stereotype of students at my school is that we are all rich and have money. Another is that everyone must come from very rich family and have money too pay for the school. This is very false where 6 out of 10 students at the school are actually on financial aid.