George Washington University Top Questions

Mateo

I love it. Its the perfect balance of not too much cheesy school activities which allows you to have your independence, yet there is a great community that makes you feel part of a student group.

Coby

.

Best thing at the school is the greek life One thing I would change is more school spirit Just right in terms of size They react in a positive way I spend my most time in ivory basement Not a college town Schools administration is somewhat invisible Biggest Controversy was the recent article that described stereotypes at GW by the washington post Nothing really unusual Student complaints are that their is no school pride

George Washington is a very strange kind of school, where I can honestly say that FEW students are truly happy. The only students that thrive there are kids who already know others in the city, are very rich and into Greek life, or resign themselves to WEIRD lives on the Vern. Everyone on the Vern is very typical of the Vern, and normal people know to stay away. Almost everyone I know transferred, is transferring, or has thought of transferring. The only people who stay are people who are too lazy to transfer, or had such lame high school lives they don't even know that George Washington doesn't offer a normal college nightlife. The classes aren't bad, the location is fine if you want to live in DC (though I would NEVER recommend living in DC), but the people are what ruin it. Furthermore, most of them are not even intelligent but kids who just worked hard or bought their way in. I was horrified by the incredibly low degree of discussion in the classes. People even in the International Affairs school barely knew ANYTHING about world affairs and struggled with the most simple facts and concepts. It was nothing short of embarrassing. I was honestly embarrassed I had considered George Washington a good school. In the end, the fact is that you're not going to like this school. Basically no one does.

-

Iris

A lot of lectures Good political study environment

I think GW is a great place for people who are self-starting, motivated individuals with grand aspirations for the future. It is a tough place for kids who need a lot of hand-holding of people who don't like a fast-paced, competitive environment. There is not a strong sense of community in the University as a whole, but that's why students trend so heavily into student activities, groups, sports, Greek life, or internships. Social life revolves heavily around the Greek scene, but this can be avoided by immersing yourself in whatever you are passionate about. The school is a great size, and the Vern campus allows for people who want a smaller-school feel. I would change the presence of Greek life because I do think it dominates the weekends and makes it hard to have gatherings of people that don't get out of control. People react differently to my attendance of GW depending on where they are from-- People from New Hampshire think it's like Harvard, GW professors think it's extremely competitive, but some Georgetown affiliates joke that it's not as competitive as Georgetown. Some people who aren't from the East Coast have never heard of GW. Most DC networks are familiar and impressed with GW as an institution and it will make it easier for students to get internships. It's not a college town (the city itself) but it's a college neighborhood-- GW dominates Foggy Bottom and has a strong campus feel. DC itself even becomes a college city because students spend so much time at the monuments, the museums, and city events. There's not a lot of school pride when it comes to sports except for men's basketball-- having no contact sports diminishes the support for the sports program in general (I think). One recent controversy on campus was moving the Honors Program Townhouse to the Vern campus, and we had town hall meetings to decide what would be done. I think the administration can be quite bureaucratic, but with perseverance it can be navigated and end up pulling lots of strings because it's so well connected. I spend lots of time on campus in the library, which has great study spaces, and I am always finding new places to spend time. One unusual thing about GW is the fact that it is directly in DC, so close to the White House and the Washington Monument that jogging actually becomes a pleasant experience because each run can be a tour of the nation's capitol. Being late for class because you had to wait for the Motorcade puts your own life in perspective. You meet politicians and celebrities on the street. I will always remember seeing Obama looking out the window of his Suburban as the motorcade went by one night. The most frequent complaints are about J Street food, though it's much better than in the past, and about the abundant construction on campus.

Mira

Overall, I am happy with GW. The best thing for me is the location. I am able to experience so much in such close proximity. I can visit the Smithsonian, the monuments, and take can classes at the GW hospital. Even though GW is not an enclosed campus, it owns everything in this area, and I never feel as though I am not surrounded by GW students. The school is also the perfect size for me, as I always pass people I know just walking to class but I also meet new people all the time. People typically react favorably to the school as it has a good national standing. One thing I would change is the amount of school spirit. I was on the cheer team my freshman year and watching people leave halfway through the basketball game because the team isn't doing well is depressing. The administration is great at working with you although they aren't particularly expedient. Usually any need that you have they will try to accommodate. The biggest controversy on campus is often hazing in Greek Life, and some fraternities and sororities have gotten kicked off of campus for it. I am part of a sorority, however, and have never experienced that. We are often surrounded by national controversy given our location, however, as rallies and such often happen in this area. That I see as a positive because it usually is not difficult to find people passionate and willing to fight for the same things you are. The experience I will always remember is a counter protest against the Westminster Baptist Church where hundreds of students were wearing shirts that said "I'm Gay for Today." I think it showed GW's willingness to be involved beyond the scope of their own environment. The most frequent student complaint is usually the food. It is extremely expensive and the dining plan usually runs out.

GW is a great school for those who are not interested in the typical college environment. School pride is not based upon an all-star football team - we don't even have one - but on our location in downtown DC and the awesome internships and city life available right at our fingertips. We are minutes away from the monuments, Georgetown, the White House, and the Potomac River. Since it's an urban campus students not only enjoy campus life - with hundreds of students organizations and many on-campus events (including one concert each semester) - but everything the exciting city of DC has to offer, from awesome concerts to extremely delicious restaurants to events at the Kennedy Center. In my opinion, GW is an amazing school that has offered me the best opportunities and given me the absolute greatest memories.

Becky

I love GW. Though 10,000 undergrad sounds big, it never seems like it. I see people I recognize everywhere I go, and even though I don't know my whole class it almost feels like I do. Employers in DC look favorably on GW student. We tend to be very politically active and so close to the action that we don't hesitate to get involved. DC is really what drew to this school and it hasn't disappointed. Throughout my three years at GW, I have always made a point to get off campus a few times every week. At the same time, I like that the campus is not completely integrated into the city - there is a distinct campus area where all the buildings are owned by GW. The meal system here is different from any other school - no all you can eat meal plan, but the food is getting better and your student card works at a bunch of restaurants/sandwich places in the area, now including a Whole Foods. People used to complain about having to go to the "Vern" campus, but they just made it a LOT nicer. It's still kind of a pain to have to take a bus to campus, but it you want some more grass and a liberal arts feeling, it's there. School pride really isn't our thing at GW. You'll still find the occasional GW basketball enthusiast, but we generally don't get super excited about sports. The State of the Union is a bigger deal here.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my decision to go to GW! GW gives excellent opportunities to students. I am in the business school, and both the academic and professional advisers are excellent. DC is an amazing city to live in with plenty of places to work and have a good time. The best part of GW is that I have met some of my best friends here who I am going to keep for the rest of my life.

Coby

- Best thing is living in the city - If I could change on thing is would be to reduce the amount of preppiness - The size is just right - When I tell people I go to GW, they are usually somewhat impressed - On campus, I usually spend most of my time in my room or in the library - Foggy Bottom is all about college students. This changes as soon as you go off campus. - The school's administration is very bureaucratic but overall effective. - The biggest recent controversy on campus was probably an armed robbery of some sort - There is not a lot of school pride - There is nothing unusual about GW per se - I'll never forget move in day when I was a freshman - The most frequent student complaints are about the food.

While I do like GW very much, a lot of that has to do with its location (D.C. is a very young, very accessible city, with easily navigable public transportation and a growing number of fantastic burger places), and my own personal experiences with the faculty in the English Department here, who are fabulous. In terms of faculty in general, professors can very often be hit-or-miss, with certain academic areas in need of reorganizing (though the administration has tried, academic advisors in the liberal arts college are still pretty terrible), and others exceeding expectations (everyone in the Creative Writing Department). But like any school, of any size or reputation, ratemyprofessors.com is, always, every student's best friend. When I tell people I go to GW, the reveal normally generates one of two reactions, depending on whom I'm talking to: If it's an adult, he or she is generally impressed, or at least enthusiastic. If it's another student, however, I normally have to work harder in the conversation to prove I'm not one of the two previously mentioned stereotypes (unfortunately, the entitled rich kid is more often than not the one I run up against). Both adults and other students, however, are almost always surprised when I tell them I study creative writing at GW as, understandably, the university's political and international studies are what it's more widely known for. However, GW is one of only a handful of schools that offers creative writing as a separate major, not just a minor. It's a little-known secret how strong some of the university's liberal arts departments are, but an important one. Overall, I'd say if you're willing to take advantage of its location (internships are a big deal here, but luckily, there's no short supply of them!) and be proactive in getting involved in your specific area of interest, whatever that might be, GW is certainly there to provide you with the right resources.

The best thing about GW is the diversity. Almost every student has some sort of international experience to tell about or have an interesting story behind where they grew up. One thing to possibly change would be the size, which is quite big so at first it is hard to meet people if you are not a "social butterfly." Joining clubs, groups or Greek life definitely are a great way to cut the size down. Of course the price of the school is a big issue for many people because it is one of the most pricey in the country, but there is a great deal of aid as well as job opportunity. The location of the school is great for those who want to be in the city. While GW has somewhat of a "campus," the city of DC definitely bleeds into campus and vise versa. It is easy to get around the city by metro, bus or on foot. The monuments are walking distance, clubs and shopping are a metro ride away and everything else is accessible by bus. Unfortunately, there isn't very much school pride in terms of sports. Our basketball team gets little recognition and other sports teams hardly get spectators. However, thats not to say that there is no pride among the students to attend games or wear school paraphernalia. Sports just aren't really a big part of the campus life, so it is likely that you'll be friends with someone from the crew team or the lacrosse team and think little of it.

I love GW, but I also know people who don't so will give reasons for both sides. Positives: Being at GW you have a world of opportunities at your feet. For starters you are in the heart of DC with the white house, the IMF building and needless to say a million internship and job opportunities at your feet. Being in a city has so many advantages 24/7 restaurants, convenient stores... Shopping galore, phone stores, studying abroad? every embassy is here. DC itself is such a great city as wel. It's one of the most unique cities I've ever visited. Major events and celebrations happen on the mall once a month at least. My favorite is Earth Day. The people you can find at this city and this school are so international, so unique, so different. It's amazing. GW truley does value a diverse community and that is apparent in all your class discussions, all parties, even shopping in the grocery store. The going out scene here is legit. No matter what you like it's here. Clubs for the dancers, frat parties for everyone to enjoy, bars in the city (that I've heard of people getting into with fakes), ice skating downtown for sober fun. There are even a bunch of house parties around cause of all the kids that live "off campus" (off campus being two blocks down) Best memory: storming the white house when Obama won tied with DC's epic snowball fight during SNowmagedon 2009 Negatives: some people complain that there's little school spirit here. We have a basketball team that's pretty big but there's little following besides those who are directly involved. There are a few other sports but unless you know someone on the team your not likely to go out for a game, especially when most of GW sports are on GWs second campus which is a school bus drive away. I think the best kind of person to suit GW is an independent one. If you're the kind of person that relies a lot on your parents, or gets scared of big cities and crowds of people, and the idea of looking for a job in a huge city is overwhelming, this maybe isnt the school for you. Not to say it couldnt be but people who love and flourish in this school are those that get excited by those things previously mentioned. GW is expensive as shit! and there's a lot of controversy surrounding presidents and board members getting overpaid. For how much GW costs there's def a case for not getting the bang for your buck students deserve.

The education here is a hit or miss with your professors. So far (three years in), I've had an interest mix of terrific classes and professors...but also a bunch of weird or new adjunct professors. Overall, you're here for the location and the internship opportunities presented to students.

Living in Washington D.C. has been such a wonderful/scary/insane time that I wouldn't trade for the world. Hearing and seeing motorcades drive past my window every other day still gives my goosebumps and makes my mother scream over the phone. If you are looking to truly feel like a "grown up" but still be considered a "student," GW is the place for you. The internships one can gain here range from working within the State Department, National Peace Corp building, to even walking around that big white house just 3 blocks away. The possibilities are endless and your future is almost guaranteed to look bright. Campus life is also great, although I personally am not involved with Greek life or that many organizations, there are always opportunities for students to get involved. I love that there is no pressure to either go Greek or have no social life, everybody kind of drums to their beat and meets people who dance to the same tune along the way. I spend a lot of my time studying in our 8 floor library but always make time to fit in a good midnight monument walk or stroll along the Georgetown waterfront. Everything is right at your fingertips here at GW, but its your job to grab as much as you can within 4 years!

Yinyu

GW has a very strong alumni network. Since GW is quite popular internationally, its alumni networking is spread out all over the world. And for most times, you can get access to these alumni easily. As the nearest school to the White House, GW has tons of great opportunities, for example great internship in various departments of U.S. government, almost guest speech in different topics offering everyday, and etc.

Desislava

If

Desislava

If I could use only one word to describe GW it would be "unique". This school is large, as is DC, and it can be intimidating for some students, especially those coming from smaller cities and sheltered backgrounds. I think that the school is the perfect size, I am constantly meeting new people but I can never walk to class without seeing at least one person I know on the way. I think DC is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. It is large and has plenty to do, but small enough that even after a few months at GW you can figure out your way around and even give directions to a tourist, which really makes you feel like a DC residence. GW's DC locations is one of its biggest assets, DC is full of diverse restaurants, great shopping, fun nightlife, and plenty of cultural activities. One thing that GW can definitely improve on is the school administration, which is for the most part a bureaucratic mess. Everything can be a challenge, from signing up for classes to transferring credits. I've had some pretty inspiring professors and some abysmal ones who should never have been allowed to teach. GW and the surrounding area is also very expensive, it is close to impossible to have a meal that is under $10. Overall, GW is a diverse school in a diverse area, and it is up to each individual students to make it their own. Some choose to immerse themselves in an internship, while others spend their time doing reasearch, and some even spend their time going to different speakers and events around the city. GW is a great school with some not so great parts.

GWU is a wonderful school that does it best to make sure the campus has a diverse student body and many organizations to join. The school is perfectly located in downtown Washington D.C which influence the dynamic atmosphere the campus has. Their is a ton of school pride. You can always spot at least two students in class with their GWU gear and hundreds of students at sports games.

The best thing about GW is it's location. We have a metro stop right on campus which makes the rest of the city extremely accessible. You can get to most places in the city via metro, and if not then you can also take the metro bus. Other schools such as American and Georgetown will say that the city is really easy to get to, but it usually takes at least 45 minutes to really get anywhere. The schools size is just right for me. I can always meet new people if I am becoming sick of my friends or want to branch out. At the same time, I can be sure to see a friendly face every day. People do eventually branch off into smaller groups, but it is not hard to infiltrate them because there are so many different activities and ways to join in. That being said, one thing that is bad about the school being so large is the Administration. Students are assigned at GWID which is their lettered and numbered ID and unless you really work to branch out to professors, you will remain a nameless ID the entire time you are at the school. I am an English major so I am fortunate enough to have small, intimate classes, but from the science classes I have taken, you can go an entire semester without ever speaking with your professor. Come exam time, if you have an issue, they won't even know your name. The best thing about this school is that it seems like if you take enough initiative, you can get most anything done. There are many ambitious people here and there are so many opportunities that the city provides. I feel as if this is one of the best schools you can go to to learn how to become an adult because really, everything is in your hands, unlike small and sheltered schools in more rural areas.

I love GWU. I transferred here from another school (University of Mary Washington) and that gives me a different level of appreciation. People often complain that GWU only wants money, that it is a real estate company that happens to have classes. I think GWU is doing what it can to still make a profit in an incredibly expensive city, and it hasn't done anything wrong (or different from any other schools). Yeah it's expensive, but I'm on a full ride and there IS financial aid out there if you need it! GWU is a very different sort of school, and is definitely not for everyone. If you are looking for good ol' fashioned school pride and a football game, go elsewhere. People here are proud of GWU, but more so they have pride in their organizations such as College Democrats or 14th Grade Players (theater) or Organization of Latin American States and they are incredibly involved and invested into these orgs. What makes GWU great to me is that it gives you a real world experience (in terms of the real intellectual/political elite experience of DC....sadly not a "real world" experience for many residents). There are no RA's watching your every move, no cafeteria you have to eat three meals a day at (two things I hated at my old school) and nearly everyone has a job or an internship off campus. Campus itself is fluid....the IMF, World Bank and State Department are a part of our "campus". So is Miriam's Kitchen, a soup kitchen and art therapy center for the homeless. We have our own Metro stop and I commute to my internship with some of DC's finest. Today I walked to the Smithsonians to hear a lecture than stopped by the Occupy DC movement to see what was going on. Students here work hard and play hard (GW loves to party, but mostly in DC clubs). GWU is competitive, intense, involved, and unlike any other school. There is always a helping hand when you need it, but no one is going to baby you. It is what you make of it. You can join a sorority and party, or be a part of a Christian organization and be involved with local churches. But one this is for sure, this is a DC school, and you have to be a city kid to truly love it. I adore GWU. I have had amazing opportunities here, whether it be interacting with the incredibly international student body, have a number of different internships or just seeing Obama at a basketball game. GWU for life!

GWU is an amazing school academically, and the location is ideal for Washington, DC internships and jobs. Professors generally have some professional background in their subject matter and the networking opportunities are endless. However, many students seem not to get involved on campus or in the community. It's frustrating to make friends when many students pay $50,000+ a year in tuition and school fees, yet remain unmotivated. Also, if you're into sports, this is not the university for you. GWU has no football team, and there is not much school pride in the rest of our sports teams. Overall, GW students form a tight community and can bond over campus experiences such as Thurston Hall, the Vern, or our unofficial Hippo mascot.

Robb

VERY expensive, but worth the investment, especially for business majors and international affairs majors. Performing arts might want to rethink..

Robb

Robb

Emmanuella

My overall opinion of this school is that it is a school full with many opportunities no matter what major you are so long as you use your resources. Also you will get a lot of financial aid (especially need base aid).

bob

Avoid this overpriced and overrated school.

Although you'd think that students here have other things to do than participate in greek life, it is the dominant scene on campus, especially if you're a freshmen. At night, or on weekends if you're not in a fraternity or sorority, you don't have a social life. In class too, even if you think you're close friends with someone it turns out that almost everyone here is looking to somehow get ahead, no matter who gets in their way. Everyone is looking out for his or her best interest and would like to see you fail if it means they would be getting ahead.

The school is a great size. It's big enough to be able to switch majors and schools within the university (which I've done without problems), but small enough that I know many of my professors and they take a personal interest in my education. One thing that's missing is a sense of school spirit. Our athletics are not consistently strong and the school lacks a team to rally behind (students would rather be rallying behind political candidates). The university just started a new guide program where administrators will each be responsible for 4-5 freshman, solving a problem that many people had of feeling lost in the system.

Skylar

The best thing about GW is that the campus is located directly in the city and students can go anywhere they please, whether it is Georgetown or elsewhere in the city. I think the GW school size is just right. When I tell people I go to GW, they are impressed and react positively. There is a decent amount of school pride, but not an enormous amount. The most frequent student complaints are that they're a lack of campus food options.

The best thing at GW is its location. Its a small school with great resources in the surrounding community. Jobs are everywhere--and so is food. Most of my time on campus is spent being busy or around my room or outside. There is very little school pride in the athletic sense, most people just care about drinking and drugs.

I would like to see more school spirit, Either starting with more emphasis on getting a football team, improving our basketball team, or seeing greek life expand

There are two social scenes at GW: the long island, Jewish, scene that revolves around clubbing and the Greek scene of bars and formals. I am in a fraternity and I wouldn't have it any other way. I really like the guys that I've met through it and I definitely enjoy the parties.

Steve

GW does a good job creating a campus type of community even though it is a city school. Most students come from similar backgrounds alhtough GW claims to have such a broad diversity of students. There are a lot of cool opportunities that come with going to GW such as public speakers that would not come to other schools or internships you would not be able to get if you went to school in the suburbs.

Great urban school - good tie to Federal Gov't

Seth

School is good but needs to be better. GW needs to be more selective and needs to connect more with the alumni

Rory

My school was un-supportive of my interdisciplinary major proposal. As well, the Columbian College does little to substantially enrich the lives of their students as does the SoB and the ESIA. I feel that the Columbian College has a poor course selection in most majors. In economics, there are few specialized course titles, and even then they are very broad. The professors are very well qualified in my department, but I feel at times they are unable to utilize their skills. I am barely challenged enough inside the classroom, and the academic environment outside of the classroom is nonexistent. Gw is a great college town, and the MT Vernon campus offers the small college life to those who want it.

Parker

The administration cares way too much about growing as a money making institution and its numbers than it does about the school. They often seem to lose sight of the fact that this is a school, an institution designed for the learnings of students; not making money! Because DC is such a unique place to go to school, there are certain classic college institutions that need don't function in this specific setting. For instance, the cafeteria. Because of the way the dorms are setup, and the way the campus is laid out, there really is only one "cafeteria." But unlike other schools, it isn't all you can eat, or a flat rate per meal. Instead, they charge you an arm and a leg to get very unhealthy, frankly gross food. Whats more is they then require students to spend a certain amount of money there because it doesn't generate enough profit to support itself because the food is so terrible.

Our campus in the middle of the metropolitan DC area is the best of both worlds: we are a college campus with a very campus-y feel, but we can take a drunk monument tour whenever we want. Also, the endless internship and experiential learning opportunities is invaluable.

GW is a good school. D.C. is a great college town but also provides so much more that what is available at other schools. Because of this people at GW are very status oriented. There is very little school pride.

Shawn

I wouldn't recommend GW to students. As a whole, it's one of those universities that has decent academics, but mastery in not very many fields, with the exception of international relations. The university would be better off with lower tuition rates, and more motivated and intelligent students. An addition of better professors who spent more time on their students would also be a beneficiary, with a bit more emphasis on introductory classes.

Craig

GW is a great place for internship opportunities and for networking after you graduate. There are few places in the country where there is such a diverse group of potential careers. One thing I would change would be more accessibility to wireless internet. People are generally impressed when you say that you go to GW. I spend most of my time on the Foggy Bottom Campus. The administration is too tied up in red-tape bureaucracy. There was a conflict over a Muslim student association protest last semester. There is not a lot of school spirit here, it's a little difficult to get into it because there is no football team. Colonial Inauguration is an experience I will always remember. The most common complaints lack of wireless access (which is being changed now), the cost of food on covered under GWorld Colonial Cash, and the lack of a football team.

Zach

Its urban, fun, and there are so many things to do that I often don't know what to do. Greek life is amazing here also. It is totally different than any other school I have ever seen.

I think GW is the perfect size. You can walk to class and see people who you know and then people who you have never seen before.

Best thing about GW is the city. during the day its a bustling financial district but at night we run foggy bottom.

Max

GW is a great school with great academics. It is in the heart of the nation's capitol and almost all GW students benefit from this with the ability to gain internships at a level unparralled by other colleges.