George Washington University

« See more reviews of George Washington University

I would like to see more school spirit, Either starting with more emphasis on getting a football team, improving our basketball team, or seeing greek life expand

VERY expensive, but worth the investment, especially for business majors and international affairs majors. Performing arts might want to rethink..

I think GW is the perfect size. You can walk to class and see people who you know and then people who you have never seen before.

we need better academics and students. no school pride

A lot of lectures Good political study environment

Its great

-

The best thing about GW is it's location; 15 minute walk from Gtown, Adam Morgan 20 minute cab, White House 3 blocks, etc. This entails amazing food if you want it and can afford, unlike other campuses where your limited to two resturnants that are probably chains. Also, your not limited to one bar or club, similar to other schools where eveyrone goes to the same place. Here there are a few different clubs, frats, and bars you can go to every night. The school is actually just right. Its big enough that you can ALWAYS meet new people, in class or at J Street. It's small enough though that you'll see people every day that you can, to say the least, identify with. I see a few friends or acquaintances on campus every day. It's also small enough that people know who your talking about if you mention someone random you know.. like a big highschool.. cliques and randoms, kids who don't go out- kids who aren't in the 'scene' and kids who are.. I spend most of my time on campus either in my dorm, the library, or class. Some idiots havent even heard of GWU but the people who know it respect it. The funnny this is that its pretty acknowledged that half the kids here aren't that smart, some are but theres definitely a spectrum of intelligence here so the kids here don't think as highly of the school opposed to someoen who wouldn't know better. WHAT COLLLEGE TOWN?! In a good way- we live in a city! THe 4x4 campus from 19th to 23rd and E to H is our campus... not a town just where our on GWorld dining is and where our classes and dorms are.. other than that.. Gtown... I'm not sure of my opinion of GW's administration.. new president Knapp, he's been handingly things differently... I think its pretty good.. the more strict truly is for the better whether we like it or not... definitely don't like it how they bust our dorm parties all the time but the security going in and out of the dorms is comforting... and the UPD standing aroudn EVERYWHERE is also comforting. Recent controversy was with the APEs fraternity...at least it was a controversy among my friends... they got caught for hazing... the school has always known it but some kids decided to rat them out.. whatever... I think theres a good amount of school pride.. thers more DC pride in my opinion rather than GW pride...Nothing too unusual... besides the white house being 3 blocks away and i walked by it earlier tonight and waved at it haha... one experience ill always remember- one word- THURSTON... its the huge freshman dorm. its really great. all the freshman are here your friends are here. its just nuts and unexplainable. Frequent student complaints: not enough good looking people! GWORLD program... half of our money has to be spent in one tiny building with terrible food sucks..

The best thing about GW is it's location. What other college student can say their dorm room is 3 blocks from the white house, or their dorm room has a great view of the Washington Monument? It's right in the heart of DC and walking distance from the Georgetown and Dupont Circle neighborhoods. Our campus also has it's own metro stop, connecting us to the rest of DC and Northern Virginia and Maryland. The size is just about right. We have almost 10,000 undergrads, which makes us medium size. Our campus is also very compact because we are an urban campus, so it seems much smaller and more connected than it really is. Students constantly run into other students they know on campus. People tend to mix up GW for Georgetown. I've been called a Georgetown student many times, and it is really annoying. The campus itself is just okay. It's really compact because it is urban, so we don't have those quintessential "college" quads or parks. We do have some nice areas though such as Kogan Plaza and University Yard, and in the spring time when it's nice out, everyone flocks to Kogan to sit outside. The GW administration could work a little harder on making GW more of a college community. People tend to do their own thing and just become DC residents rather than GW students. The most recent controversy was the "Swastika on the door" incident. This Jewish freshman girl faked a hate crime by drawing swastikas on her dorm room door for 8 nights in a row and said someone was committing a hate crime on her. However, we have video cameras in our dorms, and the university police caught her doing it. When our basketball team is good their tends to be lots of school pride, but our fans are very fair-weather and if we're not that good they don't care. My sophomore year our basketball team went 27-3, and our last home game was against Charlotte and we won on a last second put back in overtime. All of the student rushed the court, and it is something I will never forget!

The best thing about GW is living in Washington DC. If I could change one thing, it'd be the eating situation. Food is incredibly expensive and incredibly unhealthy. And there should be a grocery delivery service that accepts GWorld. At a city school where no one has a car, food shopping is a pain. And mandatory spending at JStreet, the food court, is ridiculous. The food is all overpriced and unhealthy. When I tell people I go to GW, I think they're impressed, because it's a really good school, and they think it must be great to live in DC, which it is. I spend most of my time in rehearsal for theater! I live in campus, so I'm here all the time, hanging out in my friends' rooms. Or on nice days, it's great to sit outside in Kogan Plaza or University Yard and relax. There's no college town better than DC! So much culture, and most importantly, drunk monument tours! I don't know too much about the administration. All I can say is there's a lot of red tape to get anything done, and people are overpaid. The biggest controversy on campus was a Jewish girl who had reported that swastikas had been drawn on her door and all over campus. She made a big fuss about it and made the school start an investigation. They found out that it was her who had been drawing them. It was ridiculous. There's a lot of pride for the basketball team. I wouldn't say there's school pride here like there is at big football schools, like my friends at Michigan or Rutgers, but we've definitely god pride. Everything about GW is unusual because of its location. I'll remember all my nights of drunk roaming the streets of DC. (Well, I can barely remember any of them, but you know what I mean.) The most frequent student complaints are about food and high tuition.