George Washington University

« See more reviews of George Washington University

The best thing is that GW is in the heart of DC and it's the most politically active college in the nation. One thing I'd change is the required Colonial Cash I have to spend at J Street. I think the school is just right, at first I was intimidated by how large it was considering I came from such a small school. But after a while you have your group of friends and you find your self saying "hey" to alot of people while walking to class. I spend most of my time in my friend's dorm room because they have a couch, but when it's warmer I'm sure it will be outside. DC is a college town, but most people don't socialize with members of other colleges (we really don't like Georgetown). I think GW has an okay administration. The biggest controversy is the dining issues, with this year's required plan for freshman and sophomores to spend a certain amount at one location on campus. The food at J street is not healthy, it's not good quality, it's not diverse, and it's overpriced. Also, the eating options in general. Everything is expensive, like New Gallery and most of your dining options and it's not really healthy. The best place to eat is definitely the GW Deli. I think that the unusual thing is it's location most definitely. One experience I will always remember is our midnight walks to the monuments. When it's warm outside, rainy, or cold. There is nothing more surreal or relaxing then taking a walk to the Lincoln Memorial. You walk right past the State Department on the way there and it's only a 5-10 minute walk. The most frequent student complaints have to be with the food situation. Also, for the Columbian College you have to complete 3 science with lab requirements and that seems a bit ridiculous.

Going to school at GW is the most unique experience a college student can ask for. just four blocks from the White house the typical freshman experience - political or not - takes place each day around 7:15am when Dick Cheney's motorcade rolls by thurston hall, the largest freshman dorm. The reality of living so close to the seat of power is unavoidable. Marine One fly-bys, motorcade sightings and the plethora of speakers and events on campus is something that turns my friends green with envy. You can talk up a quaint liberal arts school all you want but there is nothing like living your life in the shadow of memorials, monuments, and government officials. - College-aged people generally give into the general stereotype of rich, jappy, types, but adults, particularly employers see GW as a "just below Ivy league" level. GW is synonymous with hands-on experience, while the rest of the college-aged world is sleeping through afternoon classes, GW students are out in the city taking advantage of all WAshington has to offer. At a career fair this past year I was talking with a recruiter who was so impressed the ease at which GW students could dress up, interview, and the precision of resumes, etc. This is reflected in class when its second nature for someone to be sitting next to you dressed in a suit with the natural accessory of a Senate clearance pass.

The best thing about GW is that students are exceptionally driven and passionate-and if you come here for political science or international affairs (as A LOT of students here are) you're going to have so so so many outlets for that passion and it's a college that is recognized by the field as exceptional. When I tell most people about going to GW the reaction is "Oh, so you go to Georgetown?". This is a response that riles up every GW student. No, we are not Georgetown, but that doesn't mean that we're inferior. We are more in the city than they are, making it a true DC school. You don't need to be super involved in student organizations to have a life. There are so many things literally right outside of our doors that there is never really a dull moment. GW's administration is a popular and aggravating topic of discussion amongst the students here. They really try to reach out to the students, but being so into politics most students are suspicious of their actions and are quick to criticize. This is not without basis though; the school is known for spending excess amounts of money to the point of large debt, even though we pay the highest tuition in the nation. From what I've seen they say they listen to our comments, and frequently send out surveys, but whether or not results actually come about is uncertain.

best thing about gw is no matter how lost you feel or feel like an outcast, you'll always find someone who appreciates you for you. i'd change the conceited people who think money is all there is to their pathetic life. the school is the perfect size- when you think you only know a certain amount of people- you find so many more amazing people. People react like i go to the most expensive college and think i'm a jap- it's sad. i spend my time on campus in the academic building, library, dorms, food places, all over, etc. the gw part is sort of college-like and may have a campus feel, but it's completely different. GW administration is good. some departments suck but you can definitely find a professor who is great at what he does and will inspire you. Biggest controversy is not having enough college like activities- if there's free things, i'll go. There is absolutely no school pride- it's pathetic. i like to cheer but the small population that everyone thinks is gw ruins it for the rest. There are great memories and great friends i have formed at gw. there definitely a variety of things to do, you just have to look and put yourself out there. GW has a lot to offer if you're willing. Most frequent gw complaints are the pirces i'm paying, i should get more in housing, more in classes, and more if the faculty.

GW is proud of it's diversity, whether it's through ethnicity, religious views, or sexual preference. We are very unique not only with our student body, but our location. Since we're the only school 4 blocks away from the White House, we have a lot of resources other American schools don't have. In the beginning when I told people I was enrolled at GW, then immediately thought Georgetown; however, now GW has it's own image. GW has grown a lot over the years after what SJT had done for the University, but the best way to see the progress is when GW reached a $1 billion endowment. There is a lot of red tape at GW for anything, but they have improved a lot of it when scheduling classes and selecting housing. Since GW is in the heart of DC, it is difficult to provide beds for EVERYONE, so some people can be forced to live off campus. Greek life has been growing immensely. When I first joined my fraternity about 11% were involved in Greek life, but now it is closer to or above 20%. One complaint from some students and families is the food options. Since we don't have a cafeteria it is easier to eat unhealthy; however, this doesn't mean there aren't healthy options. It's all there but some choose some meals over others.

One of the best things about GW is how politically-minded many of its students are. If you are at all interested in politics, this is definitely the place to be, even if political science isn't your major. I always went to very small schools, so the size of GW (about 10,000 students) was a good transition to a larger school. DC doesn't seem to be the biggest college town, although since we are in an urban setting there is a lot to do and a lot to see, like museums, monuments, shopping, clubs, bars, and many others. There doesn't seem to be that much school pride in the sense that there is the "big game" that everyone always goes to. Most of the time, my friends and I don't even realize there is a game going on in the first place. One of the most frequent students complaints, at least for freshmen, is that the food at GW is really awful. Sure, you can find descent food around DC, but the places that freshmen are required to eat at really suck and make me queezy when I think about it. It's all just fast food, like Wendy's and Chick-fil-a.

-best thing: meeting people from everywhere (surprisingly, not just ny and jersey). Also, all of the opportunities available are incredible. I have friends that work at the capitol, the white house, the department of commerce..where else can you find all of these opportunities!? Also, by being a freshman, living in thurston is by far the best decision i have made. Its incredible. -change: the mandatory j-street spending -school size: perfect in my opinion -reaction: oh wow, thats awesome. how do you like dc? or are you really into politics? -time spent: all over! between marvin, to gelmen, to j street -college town?-you can 100% tell when you are on campus, but the greatest thing is that we have the city also! -recent controversy?- the swastikas that were found on campus -school pride: so-so in sports. but when it comes down to it, most people are very proud to go to GW -experience?-working on capitol hill. or being really drunk one night and falling asleep while giving a guy head -complaints: mandatory J-street spending

I love that it is in the city. We are right in the center of everything, yet it only takes ten minutes max to get to class. How many people can take a short run to the lincoln memorial? People seemed to be impressed when I tell them I go to GW, but I'm not sure if it's because of the price of tuition, or the fact that they are just confusing it with Georgetown. I spend most of my time in Kogan Plaza, sometimes for peace and quite I'll take a ten minute walk to the washington memorial The GW administration is definitely great, this goes with the location of the schools. We often have professors who not only had jobs in top places in government important organizations, but they often still work for them and are willing to share great stories and experiences with their students. The problem with GW is the lack of school pride. The only sport anybody really cheers for is Basketball, and we aren't even very good this year...

The administration cares way too much about growing as a money making institution and its numbers than it does about the school. They often seem to lose sight of the fact that this is a school, an institution designed for the learnings of students; not making money! Because DC is such a unique place to go to school, there are certain classic college institutions that need don't function in this specific setting. For instance, the cafeteria. Because of the way the dorms are setup, and the way the campus is laid out, there really is only one "cafeteria." But unlike other schools, it isn't all you can eat, or a flat rate per meal. Instead, they charge you an arm and a leg to get very unhealthy, frankly gross food. Whats more is they then require students to spend a certain amount of money there because it doesn't generate enough profit to support itself because the food is so terrible.

It's the perfect sized school. There are enough people that you can always meet new people and don't have to worry about drama but a small enough amount that you can walk around and know a few people here and there. It's in the middle of the city, which is amazing. There are endless resources, opportunities, and entertainment. You'll never be bored. GW's administration was laid back in the last few years, but with the new President, it's becoming more strict. This is good for parents and bad for students, especially those who have been here for a few years. Nobody likes to be told what to do after you've had freedom for so long. There's definitely a sense of school pride, although our basketball team wasn't too good this year. It's definitely a school for individuals though, which was perfect for me. But, for someone who needs hand holding, this isn't the place.