George Washington University

« See more reviews of George Washington University

The school is a great size. It's big enough to be able to switch majors and schools within the university (which I've done without problems), but small enough that I know many of my professors and they take a personal interest in my education. One thing that's missing is a sense of school spirit. Our athletics are not consistently strong and the school lacks a team to rally behind (students would rather be rallying behind political candidates). The university just started a new guide program where administrators will each be responsible for 4-5 freshman, solving a problem that many people had of feeling lost in the system.

perfect location, its walking distance to georgetown and dupont circle where the nightlife is and its the business district so afte 5 pm its only students around. its really like a bubble green campus, kind of a college town. you're in the city but all the buildings are right next to each other so its not like NYU at all. --- the size is perfect too. you can always see people you know and always meet new people. -- if you're a jap or like jappy kids then definitely go. otherwise be cool and come with cool kids. i was lucky and found some awesome people and so i love it.

Best thing: location and connections professors can make for you. Change: cost. Size: just right. If in DC they react positively that I go to GW, in Richmond VA they often don't know until I say, GW...in DC. Time on campus: sorority house. College town: It is the nation's town. GW Administration: Professional, hard working. Controversy: Who should be the class of 2007 commencement speaker. Pride: Yes, for the intern/job opportunities. Unusual: Campus is used as media center. Remember: Bill Clinton, Hilary Clinton on campus. Complaints: Cost.

The best thing about GW is the social scene, as there's pretty much everything anyone could want to do here. Frats, clubs, protests...you name it, it's going on. Additionally, GW dorms are amazing. A bathroom split between 2-4 people as a freshman is the best thing ever. However, as exciting as DC sounds, Foggy Bottom is dreadful. It shuts down around 9 pm, and there is nothing to eat but junk served by the very WORST waiters you could imagine. If you can get out of Foggy Bottom the city is fun, and its easy to do with the METRO, but it's still a HUGE let down.

food and meal plan sucks big time. the summers here are amazing- intern intern intern in dc!! it's so worth it. registration and the amount of red tape can be a pain, but most professors and department heads are more than willing to work with you. not a lot of school spirit or interest in athletics, college democrats/republicans and greek life are bigger. it's a brand name school with dorms like palaces and if you're in the right program it has the academics to back it up. it's not always worth the price tag--but then, what school is these days??

I think GW's location is the best feature. There truly is no better place to be for politics or international studies than DC. When I tell people that I go to GW, they are either impressed, or wholly unimpressed, depending on their level education, where they went to school, and the kind of student they are. I think the administration is uneducated and overly sensitive to the actions of teh students. The biggest recent controversy was that over "Islamo-Fascism week," where a satirical joke by a few students was turned into a nearly federal offense.

A lot of people complain about the GW bureaucracy and how long it takes to get something done or a question answered. If you use your head and look up the proper place to go, you should get your question answered or your needs addressed. The school is here for the students, and while the students are the solid foundation that make GW great, the administration and faculty can be incredible helpful. I recommend getting to know one or more faculty members - a professor, a dean - really well so that you can always go to him/her for help and answers.

The best thing about G.W. is the actual academics, the intellectuals, the beautiful girls, and of course the city. I spend my time all over the place and enjoy what the city has to offer. Although, the administration is comprised of a lot of wealthy squares who do not have a clue. The most recent controversy was the Islamofascism Awareness Week which was a national scandal. There is very little school pride unless if you join an organization. The most frequent school complaints deal with the mandatory spending in J-Street.

The best thing about GW is the opportunities. We're in the capitol of the US, if not the whole world and there is so much diversity here. Whether its where to try an unfamiliar ethnic meal or what kind of internship you would like to get, there are so many choices. The school is absolutely the perfect size, in my opinion. Its big enough that theres always a lot going on and you don't see the same people all the time, but small enough that you can walk down the main street of campus and see plenty of familiar faces.

GW breeds mid-level government managers, and it shows. The administration has so many levels of bureaucracy it's unnerving. The location is great, right between Georgetown (the area not the school) and the White House, and everyone I know has great internships. We used to have a lot of school pride until our basketball team (mens) fell apart. The recent biggest controversy on campus was the last protest in Washington. We always host people for that.