George Washington University Top Questions

A person who shouldn't attend this school is one who wants to go to a small college. While GW has 10,000 undergraduates, the school is pretty big in the sense of there are always so many people walking around and attending classes. I would not reccomend the school to someone who likes to be in a small environment because I feel like they would be out of place in such a metropolitan city as Washington D.C.

Tony

A person who is not willing to take advantage of his/her surroundings should not attend this school. Many opportunities from the local community are provided to those who attend this school and it is in my opinion that the person would be better off in a less urban environment. This school is also regarded as one of the most politically active schools in the nation so if the person wants to steer clear from politics, this school is also not for them.

Connie

Someone who is dependent on others to get things done for them, who doesn't have a passion for learning inside and outside of the classroom, who isn't driven and determined to make their goals and dreams happen, someone who does not like fully embracing and exploring life in the city, someone who likes a small student body, someone who doesn't like learning, experiencing, and growing as a person.

Aiman

George Washington University is a great school; however, it is highly focused on politics, international relations, and other humanities and social sciences. For this reason I think that people who are more into arts and sciences may not really find there place at George Washington. There isn't much attention or interest in arts and sciences so the learning experience will not be as focused or fruitful as it could be at other, more science and art oriented schools.

Ellen

The type of person who should not attend this school is someone who does not like being in the city. The George Washington University lies in the middle of Washington D.C. and has lots of signs of city life around it. There is the Mt. Vernon campus which is more isolated from the city, but most classes are on the main campus at Foggy Bottom.

Jameise

No one, I feel that there is a place for everyone here. There are some programs that are less developed than others, or maybe that we don't offer but I cant think of any programs that are awful here.

A person not willing to put much effort into their school work and someone who can't take on a challenging work environment.

This school is really tough for a person who does not know exactly what he or she wants to do with her life, and has no interest in political internships. Socially, this school would also not be a good fit for someone who absolutely abstains from partying or drinking. Financially, GW is also a very difficult place to attend school without a good deal of financial aid, as DC is a very expensive city and the school itself is very pricy.

Ikechi

Anybody with sloppy standards and lacking a focus for the future.

A person not wanting diversity and liberal understanding in their college life should be warned about this school. The people that I have encounted and heard about while at this institution are from a wide spectrum of life all across wth world. The students have embedded the school with culture that can only be described as the american dream, tossed salad. A person who is uncomfortable with waves of change and diversity should not consider George Washington as a comfortable fit; even though I feel that this school is the perfect school for anyone. Because it is a home.

GW has a very diverse student body for the most part. The main complaint about the university is that it has an urban campus. I personally dont mind have an urban campus because I feel it creates a better college experience as it closes the gap between the city and the campus, but if you looking for a traditional college campus than maybe GW isnt the place for you.

Worlanyo

Persons who are intimidated by city life . People who consider themselves shy or easily discouraged.

Someone who would let a lesser financial standing make them feel inferior and someone who doesn't plan to take advantage of the city and its opportunities.

Hee

Someone who likes a campus with green grass everywhere, isolated from cities. Someone who doesn't like the city and wants a definite campus defined area.

Max

Someone who has little motivation and no desire to talk politics.

Anyone who doesn't like being a number in a big crowd. It is often very difficult to make personal connections with faculty and staff because of the large number of students at this univeristy and a prospective student should keep this in mind.

Tommy

The George Washington University is unlike many other schools. If you are a student, who always wanted to attend a typical school with a college football team and a campus, then GWU is not the school for you. Unlike other schools, GWU does not have a campus. GWU is integrated in the center of Washington, DC, having pedestrians, tourist, and workers walking around all the time. Therefore, a student, who wants to attend the schools that they see in movies or television, should not apply to GWU.

Chanelle

This school definitely isn't for everyone but it was the perfect place for me. It feels right. Some people, however, do not feel the same way. Transferring is their escape. I think the kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is a closed minded person, a person who doesn't want to get involved, a person who values social life over academics, a very conservative person, a person who wants a small rural campus where the classes are, and a person who doesn't like diversity. GW is diverse, open, and academic. It's tough but awesome.

Someone who has problems working hard and being open and social

An outdoorsy person

Some one who loves the city, is career oriented, driven and poltically active

Diana

People uncomfortable with city surroundings, attending school with lots of wealthy kids and a high level of diversity should not apply here. Also, if you want to major in science, engineering, or math, GW might not be the place for you, specifically if you want to major in math since our department is not strong here. If you are not willing to deal with a lot of university bureaucracy concerning advising, financial aid, etc, it might be best not to apply here.

Anyone who needs a lot of guidance or isn't intrinsically motivated to succeed; anyone who can't handle a fast-paced lifestyle or highly political environment

One unwilling to work hard.

Kristine

A person who's looking for a spirited student body with a school who takes pride in athletics. Someone who hates politics and diversity. A person who wants a traditional college campus or school

Anyone who likes small town life and nature. There is no nature in DC.

Allyson

People who aren't outgoing or enthusiastic, aren't into politics or international affairs, people that prefer more of a traditional campus feel, people who want a big greek life.

Joey

GW can be for anyone; I would say it just takes patience. The years will grow better as you progress through your degree. I would say that if you're a more small town person, sometimes the city can be a bit intense, as well as the fact that many of the students live expensive rich city lifestyles. It can be shocking for someone from a poorer economic background and used to living a more modest life.

A person who is not self-motivated, driven, passionate about a certain cause or causes, or someone who has not developed effective study habits should not attend this school.

Aiden

Hippies or people heavily involved with football, since we do not have a football team and there are almost no large green spaces, at least on the Foggy Bottom Campus. If you want a campus bubble, GW is not for you.

Caitlyn

One that isn't interested in politics or anything government related. If you are interested in the sciences (like chemistry or physics) I would not suggest going to this school. Even if you are majoring in something like engineering or english, it would serve you well to have an interest in politics, because almost everyone is going to be talking about it.

meg

A person who is not able to be tolerant of difference. This campus has a diverse population in regards to sexual orientation. The meal plan is limiting and eventually every student needs to cook their meals because eating out is expensive and gets old