George Washington University Top Questions

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first tell myself to learn how to manage my time better. Once you get into the flow of a good schedule, it no longer seems overwelming when you have designated time to complete each task you are assigned to do. On the other hand, I would tell myself to learn to relax better. Having a perfect schedule is great, but so is having time to breath. I would also encourage my younger self to begin looking for any on-campus groups that I could find to potentially become a part of. There really is no better way to meet people when you are just starting out. In addition to campus groups, I would encourage my younger self to find an on-campus job. It's a great way to meet people, and it never hurts to have a little extra cash. I would encourage my younger self to not stress out so much about figuring out a major, and I would encourage my younger self to explore other classes more, and give everything a chance. I am telling myself to start these things now.

Jamil

I would say: "1. Don't worry about what your parents want you to do. Look and find a major or field that is interesting but also in-demand for jobs. Look at Computer Science, for example. 2. You might always feel busy, but you actually have more free time than you ever will, so use it wisely! 3. For the love of God do some sort of exercise or sport. It helps with stress and health tremendously. You think you don't like sports or exercise, but it's only because you haven't found one that you love yet! 4. Have an internship or job every single semester and summer. Being able to graduate and say you have 4 years of work experience is invaluable. 5. Study abroad. 6. Double major or at least minor in something different so you have a fall-back option if the first thing doesn't work out. 7. Be friendly and outgoing and meet lots of people, but also don't keep hanging around people you don't like. Life is too short to be stuck with bad influences and negative people. 8. GET COMFORTABLE BEING UNCOMFORTABLE! That's where growth happens!"

Ericka

Don't be so stressed out; it's not worth it. College is hard, there's no doubt, but everyone else is going through the same things as you - and odds are everyone needs help. Panicking will only make it worse. The best thing you can do is take a deep breath and work hard. There's no shame in failure if you tried your hardest; sometimes things just don't work out. But if you look at the big picture...you'll be more than fine.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I think I'd tell myself to calm down. The transition to college has not been easy, not by any means, but it also wasn't as rough as maybe I expected. It's easy to find friends, especially when you realize everyone else is fresh out of high school and looking for friends too. It's okay to not get into your first choice school, because in the long run you'll end up paying a lot for the same degree any other school is offering. Your school isn't going to define who you are; you define who you are. No matter where you end up, college is going to be a time of self discovery, of taking risks, of trying something new. I'd tell myself not to be afraid of failure, but to get ready to figure life out through trial and error.

Trenton

Once you start college, you will realize all that worrying you did senior year over the name of college was ultimately very trivial. Most universites are generally similar and names don't not carry as much weight as you think they do now. Don't choose a school you can't afford just because of its name. The first few weeks of college will be quite hectic. You will see a lot of people who overdo the partying their freshman year and fail out. Enjoy your new independence but realize that it comes with a lot of responsibility. Staying in touch with a few close friends can make the transition easier because you will realize that they are going through the same challenges as you (albeit maybe at different universities). Don't be afraid to talk to your professors freshman year. Everyone says it, but few actually do it and it can be the difference between passing and failing a class. Finally, make sure that you get enough sleep (naps really help). It won't matter if you studied all night for a test if your sleep-deprived mind can't remember any of the material the next day.

Tony

First, I would tell myself to take a deep breath. I would tell myself that everything is going to be alright. Yes, the transition to college life will be a struggle at times, but I would remind myself that the struggle is what will make me grow stronger as an individual and will prepare me for the challenges life throws at me. But most importantly, I would tell myself that there is no such thing as choosing the "perfect college." All throughout senior year, I was told that I had to attend this school if I wanted to make money, this school if I wanted to party, this school if I wanted others to envy me, etc. But what no one told me during my last year of high school was that this was all a myth. It is true that each college has its specialities, but there is only such a thing as choosing the "perfect college for each individual." And this process of finding the "perfect college for each individual" is different for every single student. Everyone has the opportunity and the ability to attend the college that best fits them. That is what I would tell myself.

Connie

The single most important piece of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be that life does not happen according to plan, even when you have a meticulous, color-coded, fully mapped out plan. You change - plan and simple. You adapt to your environment, to the new people around you, to your life in that moment. It sounds so cliche saying that "college changes you" but it does. It may happen all at once, or it may happen slowly, gradually. I would also advise myself that because I am going to change, to have "back up plans" in case too - having more options is always a good thing. Don't make big decisions based on who you are in that exact moment, but leave enough room/options for who you WILL be too. But that being said - I would also advise myself to always keep the important things in life in mind too: family, friends, your health. It is also okay to be unsure about who you are and what you want to do - it is perfectly normal, and life will always work itself out in the end.

Isabella

idk

For so many people, college is simply fulfiling an expectation. And even more nowadays further education is needed to get the top tier positions. College is a time for personal discovery. While most of this growth happens in the social realm, I feel that college should be a way to explore your interests instead of fulfilling a predetermined path post-graduation. After all, at it's root that is how it functions: the majority of graduates do not end up employed within the field they studied at university. I would say to myself, "Take any class you have interest in, not what you're obligated to take." One may never know what a single class or lecture could ignite in the mind or in the belly. Young people in college are still so young and malleable. It is overwhelming to first pick a college that "defines you" and then choose your course of study for the rest of your life. Unreasonable expectations. And on top of that, the price! Dios mio! I would implore myself, "Go to an affordable school! One that brings you zero debt! Try an array of classes! You'll be much happier then!"

Take that gap year you have been thinking about taking. Don't rush into college. It's ok to take some time and figure out what you want from life. Try something new, and keep trying new things until you find what you love. You never know where life will take you, it's more about the journey anyway. Don't be afraid to make new friends. The friends you made in high school are great, but the ones you make in college last a lifetime, and they have the power to shape who you will become. Find where you fit, don't settle for close enough. Find the people that make you want to be a better person and hang out with them. Make an effort to get to know people, go to lunch with them, study with them, grab a coffee, or get involved in a student org. Finally, never feel guilty for taking a night off. Sometimes the best thing you can do is take a step back, relax, get some perspective, and come back the next day ready to go!

College classes are not the same as high school classes, and plan accordingly. I came from a small school in a small town where I could make honor roll with minimum effort. After finishing my first semester at GW my eyes were opened to how much harder I was going to have to try in college. Time management skills are a must, and studying isn't just something you can skip right before a test. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would warn myself to get into good studying habits immediately. Sometimes you have to pass up the opportunity to have fun with friends if it means saving the grade.

courtney

The advice that I would give my self as a senior in high school would be to steer clear and stay the course. Its all a learing experience that you should be hungry for. It will show you a lot about your true self if you apply yourself 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} day in and day out. You are young and there will be PLENTY of time for exploration outside of school later in life. That life wont be much more than a struggle unless you work hard and establish yourself now as a young adult. Be diligent and open your mind. You don't see opportunities approaching you, they are seen only as the have already passed you by. You are young and you have your whole adult life ahead of you. Eat right, sleep right and conquer the world through what school has to offer you. Life is short so make it count for something that will hopefully affect the people around you in the best way possible.

To a younger Steven: Enjoy your time, open your mind, and throw yourself at all the opportunities that come forth. Senior year will come and go, faster than your brother's toy cars fall off the table. Unfortunately it is impossible not to go without regrets, especially when moving on to college. Just remember to choose your path not on someone else's wishes (even if they are with great intentions), but by your own goals and dreams. Open up, and when you think you've chosen, think it over once more; or it will hurt twice as much in the future. But, you will rekindle your goals and dreams, that I promise you. The transition from high school to college will not always be easy, nor will it always be difficult. Just remember to always trust the friends that are already there for you, even when you don't see them. You will have their support, because you will always have their back. Finally, don't slack off in Math. Even when Mr. Boulay loses all hope in you, and you in Math; the lessons you learn there will help you in both college and life.

Relax. Those AP classes with all of the homework due the next day have helped prepare you for this next step. Be prepared for the intensity of the coursework - there isn't as much work as you do in high school, but the expectations are higher, so you'll need to up your game to meet those expectations. You'll need to stay focused. None of your college professors are going to "hold your hand" and remind you about the essay that's due or to study for an exam, so it's on you to work for the learning experience you want and to earn the grade that reflects that. Don't ignore due dates - for anything! Not homework, papers, or financial aid. Due dates are firm and, again, it's on you to keep up with them. Enough of the serious aspect. Don't forget to have fun, too. You'll start meeting people right away, in your dorm, your classes, the dining hall, all kinds of places. Be open-minded to this experience. One of the best aspects of college is the diversity, so enjoy it!

Now that my parents are no longer able to pay for my schooling and I am facing an obstacle to complete my studies, I would tell my high school self to plan financially for school before I attend. I would then tell my self to value my degree in ways that others around me will not. For many students, getting a degree is expected, easy, and what everyone knows they will do. But for many people in this world, a degree is very hard to attain because they do not have the finances or the opportunity they need. So I would tell myself to never take my degree for granted. I would tell myslef to go on to create a career that will in turn give women from developing countries more educational opportunities. This is the vision that I have for my life, and I am excited to see how a degree will set me on a career path that can allow me to gain the work experiences and the network that will enable me to make a huge impact one day through my own social enterprise for women from other countries that are in need of educational opportunities.

College is one of the toughest challenges that people face because they must adjust to harder academics and a completely different environment. As a senior, I thought that the organization and time management skills that I had to get through my high school classes would work in college. However, when I got to college, I immediately fell behind because my parents were not around to remind me to do my homework, and I was not prepared for the level of focus required. If I could give advice to myself as a senior, I would say to push towards practicing strong study and work habits in high school so that I will be prepared for the transition to college’s challenging environment. Another recommendation is to take a diverse set of courses throughout my high school years because having prior experience in a course made it much easier in college. Everything that I did in high school, ranging from leadership to extracurricular activities, prepared me for getting good grades and making friends in college. Being focused, having strong time management skills, taking on more challenging diverse courses, and developing good study habits will allow you to be more successful in college.

I would advise myself to take school more seriously.

Aneesa

I would tell myself in high school that it doesn't hurt to have an idea of what you want to do and how to achieve it. The other thing I would aboslutely stress is about loans and financial aid. CONSIDER IT. The idea of borrowing money and being soley responsible is a huge growing up factor.

Yessenia

I remember high school graduation day, staring out at all my classmates, the ones I shared good and bad memories with for the past four years of my life, I felt like I was leaving such a huge part of my life behind by moving four hours away. I felt the anxiety, the nervousness, and the fear of what I thought was the end of what I have known my whole life. Now that I have finished my first year in college, I would tell my senior self that there is no need to be afraid or anxious, all the problems that seemed so important and so impactful of my life would not be so damaging but it would make me into a better person. I would tell myself to not be so hard on myself and to learn to live day by day and take things one day at a time. That although a high school and college education is very important, the things you learn from your surroundings whether it is people or places will be very valuable in making you a more understanding and intellectual person.

Ingrid

If I could go back in time and advise my high school self about college life and the transition, I would tell myself to REMEMBER WHY I AM THERE! College is a time where students are faced with many challenges and decisions. The temptation to put ones social life before academia is overwhelming at times. The stress of the workload can lead students astray and leaning more toward partying than studying. However, ultimately, we go to college to pursue a career and obtain a good education, not to excessively engage in social events. I would tell my high school self that I am student before anything, and as such, my number one priority are my classes. "Work Hard, Play hard"; work before play.

The first thing I would tell myself is that I wish I had done better when I was in high school. I would tell myself that I shouldn't have stopped caring because I moved from once place to the next being uprooted from my friends and my family. The second thing I would tell myself is that no matter what I can't give up. College is something new and it is something different, but it does not mean that it will be the end of you. It is something that will help shape you into a better person than you are now. It is something that will help guide you to adulthood. I do wish I had made better choices academically, but I wouldn't change them because if I did, I would not have met any of the awesome people I know today and I would not have learned the things I am able to accomplish on my own. I have no regrets on the choices I made and I try to do my best in order to better myself and create the brightest future I possible can.

Tamara

I think back to my high school senior self. I remember the stress, the confusion, the desperation. A lot had changed in my life: my mother had died the summer before, I was not the same person I was. And here I was, facing one of the most important decisions in my life, preparing to make yet another transition. Looking back now, having experienced the last four years and survived to graduate this May, I know what I would have told myself. Stop, breath, and think. I approached undergraduate university in a flurry, I needed to choose a university, I needed to plan my major, it needed to be done, quickly. I couldn't fall behind. In reality, all I needed was a moment, a month, perhaps a gap year, to think carefully about what I wanted and take the time to sort myself out. I leaped into my undergraduate career without much thought, and I suffered greatly for it. All I needed was a little more time to prepare myself, and to just take in the transition, and the changes.

If I could go back in time a talk to myself about college life, I would tell myself to take it easy, dont rush, and make sure that this is what I really want, not something society is pushing me into. I would tell myself that this is my life and not someone elses, so eveything that I do should be for myself and not because its what I think someone else wants me to do/be. I wouldn't listen to my best friend when she told me that I shouldn't apply to a certain school because thats where everyone else was planning on going, even though that was the one I really wanted to go to. I would tell myself to stand up for what I believe in and want, and to not let anyone sway my decisions. That all this is for me, so when I do something to give it my all and do my best. "C's get degrees" is not a motto to live by! And for goodness sake, apply, apply, and apply for scholarships and grants. Student loan debt sucks!!

Estefania

As an immigrant I would have told myself to finish my studies in my country of origin and then try to find a university or college that would take the credits or diploma earned. Unfortunately, this did not happen because I thought I was going to be able to transfer my credits (at least some of them) and earn a degree faster. While waiting for my green card to come in, knowing what I know now, I would have told myself to learn another language (other than English) and travel the world to get different cultural knowledge, learn more about history and maybe worry less about completing a degree in my country of origin.

Having reached the half way point in my studies at the George Washington University, I understand that it is essential to build your pool of resources in the classroom as well as outside it. Forming professional relationships with peers, professors, and faculty makes a tremendous difference when it comes time to making career choices and getting advice on schoolwork and viable professions in your field of study. Living in an unfamiliar environment and taking on the responsibility of a student and resident of a new city is a tremendous learning experience and challenge that affords a student the chance to engage themself mentally, socially, and physically in college. By reaching out to those around me, I was able to become comfortable in my new setting and even become a leader in my community through the network I built. After four years of college, one of the most valuable assets aside from my education are the relationships I make. These can lead to research, internships, jobs, and possibly even partnernships in the future. College is just one stop on the journey, it is important to reach out to grasp every helping hand so that we can advance further.

Phillipa

Don't waste any of your free time. You should always be attempting to enrich yourself. I spent far too much of my freshman year napping or talking on the phone to a long distance boyfriend. While my peers grew closer, formed strong bonds and got good grades, I felt like an outsider. Fortunately, college is long enough for there to be a chance to catch up, make friends, and make the most of the situation. I learned you should always go to class no matter what. It's a great way to meet new people and make friends while also learning at the same time.

erika

Providing myself with advice about what I have learned about college and life after graduating I’d first start off by saying “you’re a tough cookie. Take pride knowing, though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place. Sufficient amount of distractions may lure you away. Alcohol and drugs will attempt to become a hobby for you. Stay focused, be confident and stand strong, for you are not alone. Don’t assume everyone is trust worthy. Ask god to guide you with a better understanding of life along the way. I’d love to spare you (myself) the time and pain however I believe everything happens for a reason. I chose something, went along with it, had a obstacles, some good, some bad but in whichever way you put it, it lead me to where I proudly stand today. The only advice I have to offer is to be wise, do not allow to be taken as a fool, you are smarter than most believe. Finish each day and be done with it, you have done what you could. Always remember it is only a bad day not a bad life."

Lara

Everyone enters college in largely the same position. Anxious about what the future holds, unsure about what direction to take, and hopeful that he or she will come out "alright." Some feel more prepared or more sure of themselves. Others are less concerned with academics and more concerned with the social aspects of college. Others still are in a hurry to reach their professional goals. Most wish to achieve a little bit of all of these things. Balance here is key. Listen to school administrators and professors; they have put a lot of thought into your college experience. Heed the advice of older students. Put in a good amount of work, without making yourself go crazy. In the end college is about the experience. It's not about pursuing the perfect means to your chosen end. Oftentimes, it's about determining what you want that means to be. Regardless of how your individual experience winds up, it will be the right experience for you...if you allow it to be.

Camille

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that where I do to college isn't as important as what I do there. When I initially started to apply for college, I was convinced that if I didn't get into my top choice school, college wasn't going to be worth it. As a result, I wasn't particularly excited when I realized that my best option after admission decisions came out was George Washington University. It wasn't my first choice; it wasn't even my second choice. However, within my first couple of weeks at GW, I realized it was the perfect place for me. Although the students here are perhaps not as academically focused as at some other schools, there are endless educational opportunities outside of the classroom, and I've found myself more intellectually challanged than I expected. More than that, though, the students here love it. There is the perfect balance of school and extracurricular activities, and the campus is a real community. I would like to tell myself senior year to get read to be pleasantly surprised.

I think I made the right decision in going to state college and transffering however I wish that I could have waited for a college that I wanted to go to. This is college is fine and has a good name to it however I don't believe the 40 k a year is worth it. I wish I could have gone to a cheaper state college in another state so I could have gotten a great education at a reasonable price

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to be anxious about transitioning to college, and that I would quickly find friends and enjoy the courses. I would tell myself to not worry so much about grades and to take the courses that I would be really interested in and to enjoy it. I’d let myself know, that looking back my favorite courses will be the ones that were unique and will expand my view on the world and on history. I would advise myself to get out of my comfort shell and do the things I thought would be interesting, go to events or join the clubs I thought would be fun. The most important thing to do in college is to put yourself out there, because college is the place to grow personally and intellectually. Above all, I would tell myself to have fun and that college is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Maxine

First off, take a deep breath. What ever college you end up attending, you will be happy. Everything happens for a reason and you will make the best of it. Secondly, Take advantage of everthing the college has to offer. You go to school to learn, so if you don't understand something or need help, don't be scared to ask for help. I promise you that you won't look dumb, it is why you are at college. Lastly, college is all about finding yourself, so don't forget to try new things and talk to people you may not have talked to in high school. Go out and join clubs and be apart of soemthing that is bigger than you. Also, enjoy yourself. You have the rest of your life to worry, don't forget to have a little fun here and there.

Heidi

The best thing I have gotten out of my college experience has been the opportunity to study abroad. I am currently spending the year studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina thanks to George Washington University and the study abroad program. I am now enjoying classes with other likeminded students with my major of international affairs. It has been the best experience for my self personally, and my future because I am learning how to communicate in another language and cooperate with other global citizens. I cannot be more thankful for the opportunity to be a student in another country.

Jameise

The opportunity to explore and work on real life problems, conduct research and make meaning contributions to the community at and around GW.

Affirmation. I have been extremely lucky in knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my life at the age of eight. Though, to many, even those closest to me, my dreams seemed far to lofty for a small town girl, and falling ill during my high school years seemed to more fully cement their small opinion of my potential. Going to this school, learning what I learn each day from the remarkable professors that I have, is an affirmation to me that by the time I graduate I will hold all the tools I need to make my dream my life. There is no wasted space, no wasted moment all things are pertinent here. Every time I go to class, write a paper, attend discussion, meet with my professors, I am preparing myself for the future that a eight year old girl living in a small town decided she wanted.

Aundrea

Community. Though I was at an institution that had a small African American community, you would never notice it. The school did a great job in hiring administrators for and supporting the Multicultural Student Services Center (MSSC). I attribute a lot of my success and happiness to the MSSC I probably would not have enjoyed my college experience. The average GW student is ambitious but even the most ambitious people need to be nurtured at times. For me the MSSC provided me a place where I could be nurtured. In addition, it also opened me up to the different learning and extra curricular opportunities within the school. At the MSSC I felt welcomed and encouraged which made me feel comfortable seeking them with questions or concerns. The greatest testament of the effectiveness if the MSSC was the inaugural Black Senior Celebration. This additional senior event was an idea that was born from me though collaboration and inspiration from the MSSC. George Washington was a valuable experience because of the MSSC. With this auxiliary I expanded my mind, attended more of my potential and had enjoyed every step of the way.

My first-year college experience taught me the ins and outs of living in a city, as well as good problem-solving skills when dealing with university-scale administration and a demanding roommate. Being in a school where the vast majority of students were studying political science and international affairs also helped me realize that I want to focus on the humanities and performing arts, leading to my decision to transfer. However, this past year was definitely not a waste. I loved living in a huge, diverse community in the nation's capitol, and I loved living in a residence hall as well. My year at The George Washington University has been academically and intellectually stimulating for me, although I will be enjoying the remainder of my college career at a different school.

I have gotten so much out of college! Through my college experience, I have learned how to balance school, work, volunteer work, and a social life. Not only have I learned how to manage my time, but I have also come to love school. I enjoy going to my classes and especially the ones that have to do with my major! I love learning about real world situations so when I graduate with a Bachelor's in Accounting I have knowledge about what accountants do on a daily basis and problems they may face. College has been extremely valuable to attend because without an education, it becomes hard to find a job. In addition, with a college education, it will make my life that much better because I have skills that are needed and I will not have to be worried about what I can fall back on. Lastly, attending college has been such a great opportunity for me to grow as a person and learn about myself and what I want out of life.

My college experience has been a dynamic, constant learning process that has helped me determine who I really am. Especially at GWU, I constantly interact with hundreds of extremely diverse students with interesting and exciting backgrounds, interests, and accomplishments. I am forced to distinguish myself from the mass of other students by discovering and assuming my unique identity. This ongoing process has helped me discover some of my interests and passions, but also what I dislike. Furthermore, as I further discover my self-identity, college has forced me to experiment and explore different activities and opportunities that I never knew about. By stepping out of my comfort level, I have in fact enlarged my level of comfort with people, situations, and places. College has truly given me the freedom to extend my circle of friends, network with alumni and students, and investiage future opportunities pertaining to my career goals. Thus, college has been an extremely valuable experience in not only getting to know myself better, but also becoming intellectually stimulated to learn about an array of academic subjects, people, organizations, and opportunities.

Ikechi

You come to an educational experience not really knowing what to expect. The success of an educational experience is having to look back and see that you have matured in the process, have a clearer perspective on your life-goals and a definite plan of action for your future pursuits. A certain confidence from having pleased your supervisors in your coursework gives you that air of a success waitng to happen that employers and recruiters cannot resist.

Oscar

All throughout my academic career I have never felt the same excitement my classmates had about attending school. I just saw graduating high school as something that was expected of me and nothing else. My outlook on things did not change until I started my first year of college. As I sat in my classes and looked at everyone around me I noticed that everyone had a strong sense of purpose something which I had been lacking for so many years. I found myself surrounded with people that were so determined to make something of the many years we have spent studying and learning. To be able to use our knowledge and positively impact the world in which we live. From that point on I decided that I too wanted to make a difference no matter how big or small. The amount inspiration I received from my first year by observing my classmates is immeasurable. I can only hope that by trying to get through my studies no matter what the hardship that I might someday be able to inspire others.

Value for my life has been the experience I have gotten from my college thus far. During high school I found my dreams, but not the work ethic to make them become realistic. Proactiveness, seriousness, persistence were wasting away with each day closing in upon graduation of high school; and I still do not know what was missing for me to be more enthusiastic towards my goals. After attending my first semester at The George Washington University I realized my habits continued. I also realized I could not afford to return for second semester. My savings were not enough to cover the bill, and my parents were not able to cosign a loan. So I left campus thinking I could not return. During my winter break I called and wrote every person imaginable to plead for an extension of payment and/or more financial aid. After weeks of trying I got into contact with a Miss Hoch and Dean of Freshmen, Dean Siegel. It is with there care and patience that I am able to stay at GWU. From that frightening test of my dreams I gained value for my life as a student. I gained the will to work.

Entering college is earth-shaking. No matter how well you think you've prepared yourself, with your new comforters and school supplies and registering for classes, you'll never be completely ready. College life is so different from anything you've ever done before or anything you've ever read about or seen in the movies. Being thrust into college life will catch you off guard in more ways than one. All of a sudden you no longer have your parents down the hallway who have been there since day one, professors don't collect the assigned work and so responsibility to keep up falls on your own judgement, you're sorrounded by new people and not the high school friends who think and act like you, these are just a few among many more. Be prepared to feel unprepared.

When I was in high school I remember thinking to myself, "I cant wait to get out this place and go to college where I can do whatever I want!" And this is true. In college I dont have to do homeowork if i dont want to, I dont have to study, heck I don't even have to go to class if I dont want to. From the eyes of the eager and naive highschool student this is a blessing, when its nothing more than a disaster waiting to happen. I've come to realize that the value of my college education and overall experience comes from the effort I put forth, not by evading my education duties. So if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool student I would tell myself the following, "Listen bud, I know from where you stand school is nothing more than a burden. But soon youll come to find that school is actually a key that you get to mold. If you give school its due time youll be able to shape that key so that it will open any door you want in the future."

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself one word of advice: do. Do everything you can while in college. Join clubs that have interests similar to yours, and join a few that you never thought you could see yourself liking; you might be pleasantly surprised, and you may even find your true passion. Talk to your fellow classmates; they just might have some incredible stories to share. Take advantage of every guest speaker who comes to visit; that lecture just might change your whole world and set you on the path to your true calling. And if he or she ends up boring you to tears, what was really lost, besides an hour that probably would have been wasted anyway? I spent my first year of college not doing, and I missed out on a lot of incredible opportunities. I didn't join clubs, I didn't talk to people sitting next to me in class, and I didn't listen to every speaker. But once I finally started doing, it changed my whole college experience, and now I'm never going to stop doing.

Deborah

There are two main things that I would advise myself to do in college if I could go back in time. The first, and most important thing would be that YOU CAN'T WING IT IN COLLEGE. I never needed to study for exams in high school, so I was under the impression that the same mindset would work in college. It does not. I would tell myself to actually learn how to study in high school so that I wouldn't have to experiement with study styles when I started college. The second thing I would tell myself would be that it is perfectly okay to take first semester of college to experiment and "find yourself." I came to college knowing that the person that I want to be has to develop during my first semester. Initially, I was reluctant to do anything out of my comfort zone; however, after some self motivation I began experiencing things and truly got to know myself, my interests, and the things that really tick me off! Therefore, I would instruct myself not to be as afraid to experiment, and just leap because the benefits are amazing!

Jonthan

I would say not to debate so much about what i wanted to do with the rest of my life. Although i continue to have thoughts about going to a different school, i still want my old self to konw that this school he picked is great. I would tell him to enjoy his life more and see the world for what it is and not for what he thinks it should be like. I know that everyone wants an ideal life but life throws many curve balls and therefore not everything turns out as originally planned. Regardless of anything, i would let him konw that he doesnt have to worry about everything so much and to calm down. Everything should be planned to some extent but not to the point where youre planning every single moment in your life. My ultimate advice would be take it slow and take each day for what it is and enjoy it as much as possible.

College is about discovery; discovering yourself, the academic world, another city if you so choose. The most important thing you can do when choosing a college is pick one that suits who you are, and who you think you want to be going forward. If you live in a rural area and you have always wanted to explore the city, college is the perfect time to do so. If you discovered and interest in Biology in High School, choose a college with a strong science program. The best thing you can do to determine which college is best for you is research, research, research. Go online, talk to graduate of your school that attend the school, and/or alumni of the school. Learn about application deadlines, financial aid, student life and the surrounding area. You want to know as much as you can about a school before you decide to attend. At the end of the day you won't be able to know how happy you will be at a school til you get there. That being said, if you know yourself and do your research, you will be able to attend the best possible school for you.

If I could go back in time, I would tell the high school senior version of myself to calm down and that the end of my high school career is really just the beginning of something better. At the risk of appearing conceited, I would say that my years in high school were quite successful. I got good grades, participated in many extracurricular activities, and had plenty of great friends. I had a good thing going and I was scared to go to college and let it all go. I see now, however, that going to college does not completely change one's life, but actually builds upon and improves lives. I can still get good grades, be active in all the same organizations, and talk too all my old friends from high school. The only difference is that now I have also made some new friends and discovered new kinds very fun and fascinating activities. The transition to college is nothing to be afraid of. It is not a dramatic adjustment to your life. Rather, It is a sensational continuation.

Carolyn

I would tell myself that I can relax, take a break, and stop worrying about the future. I spent the first half of my senior year worrying about getting into college; the second half was spent worrying about how I would do in college in the coming year. I wish that I had known how amazing GW would be and that I would meet a great group of people in DC to spend the most exciting (so far) year of my life with. Having the confidence of knowning that I would do very well during my first year of college would have made my senior year so much more enjoyable. If I could talk to myself during my senior year, I would reassure myself that the transition to college is nowhere near as terrible as it is made out to be.