Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Erika

Basketball! And being a well-known and academically challenging and stimulating institution of higher learning and one committed to diversity and research.

Georgetown University pursues a mission of involvement and a deep understanding by instilling within students the Ignatian ideal of magis, meaning “more.” For me, this knowledge I’ve received comes in two forms - that of academic learning and that of learning as it pertains to life experiences. Through conversations with Jesuits, the ideal of cura personalis, or “care for the whole person” has been further ingrained into my mind and is echoed through university programs surrounding a variety of interests. The Jesuit-based education at Georgetown enabled me to ingratiate the differences of others and understand community problems. Life experience is also of great importance. The only way one can truly grasp the depth and awareness of an issue or problem is through active involvement from within the area or community facing difficulties or hardship. For example, by serving food at a homeless shelter, I have a better understanding of homelessness. My education at Georgetown granted me a greater understanding of society and appreciation for serving others. The mental wages I earned, and the maturity I gained, are incomparable, and nothing has given me greater pleasure than to have the ability to use the knowledge I acquired to serve others.

The ability to have stimulating classes and professor who care about your progress and want you to succeed. The classes are also complimented by the vast array of activities and opportunities that lie beyond the front gates in the Washington, DC community.

Arielle

I feel that I have been exposed to a lot of opportunities and perspectives that I would have never encountered otherwise. This exposure has made me a more open-minded individual, a characteristic that I directly trace to my attendance at Georgetown University,

Extremely closed-minded individuals.

Kristina

Being able to attend college has brightened my outlook on the future. Not only will I have a degree, but I will also have proved to myself and others, that I have discipline. I actually feel like a kid again. I have been given a second chance to gain success. As an older student, I have the ability and confidence to go on. I have learned how to manage my time and motivation, while furthering my education. I know that receiving a degree in Spanish language can bring about a positive outcome for many career choices in my future. I now feel like I am finally achieving a life-long goal.

Kevin

Georgetown students are a hard working group dedicated to whatever they choose to pursue - from learning in the classroom, to extracurriculars and internships, to partying on the weekends.

My college experience has helped me grow as an individual. Striking out on my own, I've learned not only how to find success in the classroom, but how to take care of myself in all aspects of my life. I've balanced learning Aristotled and Weber with making sure the landlord gets the rent check on time and that the utility bills are paid. My professors have challenged me to discover just exactly who I am as a person - what I believe in and those principles that I stand for. Long after I forget Accounting 101, I'll have the life lessons I'm learning in college to guide me on my path.

While the student population has grown more diverse over the years, the typical rich white prep school kid stereotype is still somewhat true. It's never been that huge of a deal to me personally, but it's definitely there.

Erika

Georgetown embodies a cura personalis, or care for the whole person. Here, students truly become part of a community that combines liberal arts education with religion, fitness, and an enriching and diverse social life and one dedicated to serving others.

The college experience at Georgetown University is unmatched. It permitted me to freely explore subject areas that I knew little about coming into college. Through this experience, I took an interest in a new subject area and was able to fulfill that interest through extracurricular activities, internships, and alumni mentors. I also tried many new activities outside my comfort zone, such as joining an NCAA sports team that I never would have imagined doing. These experiences enriched me in many ways, both in mind and body and I am ever grateful for the experience. It has transformed me into a person dedicated to serving others and I now have a greater appreciation of diverse backgrounds and cultures different from my own. I was challenged both academically and physically to strive for my best and made many friends, who shared my passions, along the way. These individuals will remain my friends for a lifetime, and the experiences at Georgetown University will remain forever ingrained in my mind, ones that I will not soon forget. I cannot think of a greater place that teaches for the whole person, is academically challenging, yet socially rewarding and committed to success. Hoya Saxa!

It's rich history and heritage and the nature of the Jesuit identity that enriches and fulfills the university's mission.

Caroline

College taught me to branch out beyond my bubble, and to be very, very grateful for the educational opportunities I have had in my life. First, the monochromatic makeup of my campus was, ironically, a blessing because it demonstrated to me how much I dislike being in a non-diverse envrionment, and how much I value the opportunity to meet and learn from others different from me. I studied abroad in Morocco, got involved with the Iranian Cultural Society on campus, and I found my academic passions--Persian/Farsi language and cross-cultural communication. I discovered my strong desire to use that language in non-profit work for refugee resettlement agencies in the United States. I grew into an adult who is eternally grateful for how hard my parents worked to pay for my education, and an adult who made a very deliberate decision to finance the continuation of her own post-college education in a Masters in Persian program; a program that will help me to help others in the ways I hope I can. I learned to trust my own intution, and to follow my the passion I discovered for social justice in my life beyond college.

The fact that its located in Washington, DC with such great access to internships and the city.

That students unfortunately do not take advantage of this proximity to resources of the nation's capital and tend to remain isolated on a campus that has a limited scope of social activities and is not very diverse.

Cylie

College is a while new experience. It was hard at first leaving home an moving to a new town but I am slowly liking this college and living on campus really helps out alot. You are more aware of programs going on and can get help anytime. Going to college is way more fun then high school. You have a lot more freedom and you can count on the teachers or someone to be there to help you along the way. My college has free tutoring which helps alot. I really am glad that I chose this college because its something new to experience and it helps me further my education, and work towards getting a decent job in the future. I didn't think I was gonna be able to go to college because I come from a low income family but the campus really told me about some things I can do to get money and maybe this one will help me out.

Kyle

The school of foreign service here is the best in the world and offers oppotunities unmatched by anywhere else. It's proximity to the Capitol and the White House in DC make Georgetown the ideal place to get involved in the governing and functioning of your government.

The most valuable part of the college experience the connections and bonds created with the amazing people that attend with me. It is clearly apparent that most people at my school, Georgetown University, will go off to be extremely successful and powerful men and women of the world. The ability to create these long-lasting connections is invaluable. Since everyone comes to college as a tabula rasa, it is very easy to connect with others and make new bonds. Also, meeting the brightest and most knowledgeable professors here adds to the connections as they are experts in their own rights with an infinite amount of wisdom to share. Moreover, the dialogue and conversation I have with my peers and professors inspire almost euphoric reactions within me. The depth, expanse, and interest in the world are flabbergasting, and everyone want to change it for the better. Only in the college experience am I able to immerse myself in a world where free-thought reigns free and where my ideas, that might someday change the very paradigms of the world, can be deliberated and improved.

Someone who is not afriad to talk about issues concern our entire world. People here need to speak out on what they believe but should have an open mind to the other views expressed. People party hard but still talk about intellectual subjects.

Caitlin

Georgetown University has opened more windows than I could ever imagine and so far my experience has been beyond what I expected. College in general is a time to ignite your passions and figure out what makes you excited. I love the field of health care and law and Georgetown makes me excited to study that, learning from the top professors in the field. What's even more exciting is that every person you meet in college, be it a friend, classmate, or teacher, has a unique story to tell. It's the time spent talking and getting to know each other that has been the most valuable and most positive learning experience. I would have never met such interesting people back home and now I have to opportunity to know people from the opposite coast, all the way to Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. I'm so grateful that I am fortunate to attend such a university with diverse people that you can learn a new culture or hear various experiences different from your own. College is valuable in the aspect that you learn from yours as well as others' experiences. I'll never get this opportunity again!

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.