Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Nichele

Georgetown stood out to me because the staff were so welcoming. At other college visits, the staff were not as welcoming or helpful. Since I was almost 3000 miles away from my family they stepped in to make sure I felt at home. Campus life made me feel like I was living with more of my family. It helped me to not get homesick. When my parents came to visit they treated them as family as well. They were helpful to my needs or able to steer me to whom ever could help me best. The staff were awesome!

As a high school senior, you being to think you know everything and do not need help from anyone, but in reality you will need help. Looking back at my transition from high school to college my parents were the most supportive and helpful people ever. At first I tried to do everything myself, but I did not realize how hard it was going to be to keep my paperwork together, call all these different offices to make sure I was set for the year, or to keep my emotions in check. It was all very overwhelming. Without my parents my first year I do not think I would have survived. Classes were very challenging, but my parents keep encouraging me. They also would send little gifts of encouragement, such as my favorite snacks, and letters from my brothers and their families. Even though I was leaving my home thinking I would not have to bug my parents again, I never knew how much my family would play in my success. The first year is the hardest and my parents made sure I knew that I could call them and bother them anytime of day or night. Get help!

Honestly, I cannot think of anything negative about Georgetown. I enjoyed my four years at school and time flew by so fast. I guess because it was such a wonderful experience and made time fly by so fast, so that would be my most negative thing to say about the school; not a long enough stay. I wish time would have slowed down to enjoy it more and also to finish sightseeing around the area. I was there four years and still have places to visit. Hopefully soon I will be back in that area for medical school.

Kyle

I am proud to say that my high school and technical school prepared me as well as possible for college. The only advice I could give myself would be learn to cook. The hardest transition for me was living by myself. I am going to college in another state with only off campus living. My parents helped set me up in an appartment. But being alone and cooking for myself has been the most challenging for me.

Brigid

Strong ambitions that may or maynot currently drive their work ethic while their time here.

I would save up more money, prioritize my time, eat healthier, try to cram less stuff in my little dorm room and to appreciate every day.

The Catholic values and teachings because there are somethings more important than a degree.

Daniella

The best piece of advice that I can offer to you, about going off to college is the importance of accepting balance in your life. College is similar to everyday life, there is going to be surprises, some good and some disappointing. In college, you will learn every day, whether you like it or not, friends will come and go, and there will be times of extreme stress and late night cramming, but there will also be exhilarating moments of self accomplishment and peace. You will meet professors who are technically more intelligent than anyone you've ever meet before and there will be times when you’re not happy with the grades those same professors give you. Personally, I learned from the negative experiences and felt gratitude for the positive ones. If you learn to appreciate the good and the bad and stay true to yourself, you will make it through successfully.

Georgetown University's curriculum and faculty are the heart of the university. The faculty and their relationships with stduents is phenomenal. The professors are invested in thier students success and academic growth. I have defintley become a stronger scholar and more prepared for professional and field experiences becuase of the courses that i have taken at the university. Small class sizes, individual attention and a strong push from the school's faculty for academic success is what every student at the university expereiences.

The one area in which in which i consider the least favorable about the university is the social life. I believe that social activities are also important for the college experience. At Georegtown there are not that many school sponsered events where students across academic and organizational boundaries can soley meet and socialize.

Araceli

Georgetown helps the whole person develop. Personally, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Thus, it was essential that, in addition to the business courses I had chosen, I still experienced a complete liberal arts education. What's more, I have never seen a campus more dedicated to its students' health and wellbeing, which it caters to by providing a meditation center, on-residence chaplains, and so many advisors willing to help you. It also helps to be in an exciting city that offers so many opportunities for internships, networking, learning, and even fun!

I have grown so much this past year. I now feed myself, do my own laundry, and make my own decisions. Contrary to high school, I now have a choice: I can choose to learn, or I can choose not to. This was the biggest surprise for me. Classes are mainly self-taught. There are no organized PowerPoint presentations that list all you need to take away from a course in a few, succinct, and well-chosen bullet points. No one bugs me to do my homework and do it well. Here, it is up to me to choose to study. If I don’t, no one particularly cares. Some of my classmates have already dropped their valedictorian work ethic because of this. But now that I have to invest so much more into my education, I feel more committed to it. I can appreciate my success. I know I did not get where I am because someone pushed me to it; I got myself here. I’ve extended the limits of “do your best”—I’ve become aware of my true potential, more so than ever before.

I wish I had realized that it would take a long time to process my scholarship money; I couldn't afford to buy books until a month after classes started. In the future, I would make sure I had money put aside to take care of that. I also wish that I had realized that flying across the country meant my baggage charges would be high; in the future, I would ship the stuff or just buy it here. I also wished someone had prepared me for all the stairs on campus; "the Hilltop" isn't just a romantic nickname.

Erika

Basketball! And being a well-known and academically challenging and stimulating institution of higher learning and one committed to diversity and research.

Georgetown University pursues a mission of involvement and a deep understanding by instilling within students the Ignatian ideal of magis, meaning “more.” For me, this knowledge I’ve received comes in two forms - that of academic learning and that of learning as it pertains to life experiences. Through conversations with Jesuits, the ideal of cura personalis, or “care for the whole person” has been further ingrained into my mind and is echoed through university programs surrounding a variety of interests. The Jesuit-based education at Georgetown enabled me to ingratiate the differences of others and understand community problems. Life experience is also of great importance. The only way one can truly grasp the depth and awareness of an issue or problem is through active involvement from within the area or community facing difficulties or hardship. For example, by serving food at a homeless shelter, I have a better understanding of homelessness. My education at Georgetown granted me a greater understanding of society and appreciation for serving others. The mental wages I earned, and the maturity I gained, are incomparable, and nothing has given me greater pleasure than to have the ability to use the knowledge I acquired to serve others.

The ability to have stimulating classes and professor who care about your progress and want you to succeed. The classes are also complimented by the vast array of activities and opportunities that lie beyond the front gates in the Washington, DC community.

Arielle

I feel that I have been exposed to a lot of opportunities and perspectives that I would have never encountered otherwise. This exposure has made me a more open-minded individual, a characteristic that I directly trace to my attendance at Georgetown University,

Extremely closed-minded individuals.

Kristina

Being able to attend college has brightened my outlook on the future. Not only will I have a degree, but I will also have proved to myself and others, that I have discipline. I actually feel like a kid again. I have been given a second chance to gain success. As an older student, I have the ability and confidence to go on. I have learned how to manage my time and motivation, while furthering my education. I know that receiving a degree in Spanish language can bring about a positive outcome for many career choices in my future. I now feel like I am finally achieving a life-long goal.

Kevin

Georgetown students are a hard working group dedicated to whatever they choose to pursue - from learning in the classroom, to extracurriculars and internships, to partying on the weekends.

My college experience has helped me grow as an individual. Striking out on my own, I've learned not only how to find success in the classroom, but how to take care of myself in all aspects of my life. I've balanced learning Aristotled and Weber with making sure the landlord gets the rent check on time and that the utility bills are paid. My professors have challenged me to discover just exactly who I am as a person - what I believe in and those principles that I stand for. Long after I forget Accounting 101, I'll have the life lessons I'm learning in college to guide me on my path.

While the student population has grown more diverse over the years, the typical rich white prep school kid stereotype is still somewhat true. It's never been that huge of a deal to me personally, but it's definitely there.

Erika

Georgetown embodies a cura personalis, or care for the whole person. Here, students truly become part of a community that combines liberal arts education with religion, fitness, and an enriching and diverse social life and one dedicated to serving others.

The college experience at Georgetown University is unmatched. It permitted me to freely explore subject areas that I knew little about coming into college. Through this experience, I took an interest in a new subject area and was able to fulfill that interest through extracurricular activities, internships, and alumni mentors. I also tried many new activities outside my comfort zone, such as joining an NCAA sports team that I never would have imagined doing. These experiences enriched me in many ways, both in mind and body and I am ever grateful for the experience. It has transformed me into a person dedicated to serving others and I now have a greater appreciation of diverse backgrounds and cultures different from my own. I was challenged both academically and physically to strive for my best and made many friends, who shared my passions, along the way. These individuals will remain my friends for a lifetime, and the experiences at Georgetown University will remain forever ingrained in my mind, ones that I will not soon forget. I cannot think of a greater place that teaches for the whole person, is academically challenging, yet socially rewarding and committed to success. Hoya Saxa!

It's rich history and heritage and the nature of the Jesuit identity that enriches and fulfills the university's mission.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.