Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Caitlin

Georgetown University has opened more windows than I could ever imagine and so far my experience has been beyond what I expected. College in general is a time to ignite your passions and figure out what makes you excited. I love the field of health care and law and Georgetown makes me excited to study that, learning from the top professors in the field. What's even more exciting is that every person you meet in college, be it a friend, classmate, or teacher, has a unique story to tell. It's the time spent talking and getting to know each other that has been the most valuable and most positive learning experience. I would have never met such interesting people back home and now I have to opportunity to know people from the opposite coast, all the way to Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. I'm so grateful that I am fortunate to attend such a university with diverse people that you can learn a new culture or hear various experiences different from your own. College is valuable in the aspect that you learn from yours as well as others' experiences. I'll never get this opportunity again!

Muhammad

Hello! I am Muhammad Kashif Jawad. I belong to Rawalpindi, PAKISTAN. I have done Diploma of Associate Engineering (DAE) in Chemical Technology from Pakistan Ordinance Factories Institute of Technology (POFIT), Wah Cantt. My college was about 35 kilometres far away from my home , from which I had to cover the distance of about 5 kilometres on bicycle , then I used to go by bus (rest of the jounney) for my college. My college is one of the best Technical (Semi Govt) college in my city. In my college time I enjoyed classes, my class mates, my theoratical, as well as my practical classes very much. The best message or advice by my college is that to work hard and be loyal and faithful to your studies before, during or after the span you remain in touch with your studies. I tried my best to get better from me and succeed also in my efforts. But now I am not in a position to get further or higher education due to unaffordibility of the finances of my further studies. I hope that you will take some sympathetic action on my present condition and provide me the scholarship. Thanks From: Muhammad Kashif

Lara

Very focused on their appearance and their future, but also tend to be great people if you get to know them.

My college experience has allowed me to discover who I truly am. When I first left for college, I wasn't sure if I would become a "new person" at college, like many said I would. Would I suddenly become a big partier or stop caring about school? In the first semester that identity was uncertain, but now I find myself more certain than ever about the person I am. In fact, the person I know now existed before college, but has blossomed through the college experience. Attending Georgetown has taught me to think seriously about what I am doing with my life. But it hasn't left me hanging. It has also given me tools to help answer that question.

The amazing Catholic community which I have become a part of.

David

In the fall of 1999, I moved to Austin, TX to study studio art at the University of Texas . After attending for five semesters, I decided to leave the university to persue my true passion, music. For ten years I played in a rock band called, Cruiserweight. In that time we released five albums, were signed to record company called Doghouse Records (subsidiary of Warner Music), and toured extensively all over the U.S., Europe, and Japan. Now, nearing the age of thirty, my dream is to go back to school and pursue a career in audio engineering. I am currently enrolled and will begin classes at The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Tempe, AZ. The value of my college experience will be to gain the tools to make my dream a reality. Music always has been, and always will be my life.

Larry

Georgetown University is a Jesuit university steeped in tradition and practices the concept of educating the whole person. There is a 239 year tradition of scholastic excellence that you are reminded of from the first day here until you graduate. The goal of joining the ranks of Georgetown University alumni helps keep a student motivated and focused on the goal.

Attending Georgetown University first as an undergraduate and now as a graduate have been an enlightening and fulfilling experience in many ways. The opportunity to study at a world class university with a tradition of scholastic excellence and enjoy the educational opportunities available to students above and beyond the normal studies has enabled me to meet and work with scholars from around the world. My experience at Georgetown has also instilled in me a sense of purpose beyond that of myself. While my personal goals are important to me I have come to realize there is much more to life to be experienced. Success comes in many forms. While financial and professional success are important, understanding there are human needs throughout the world that I can help meet as a result of my education at Georgetown. I believe that the greatest success will come from serving others and that will not only be rewarding in itself but I believe it will also create success for me in ways that I do not see now.

Students who are not driven to be personally and professionally successful will not be comfortable at Georgetown. Students who are not willing to give back to the local community in the form of public service will not fit well at Georgetown.

Rachael

My classmates are motivated, hard working, competitive, spirited, friendly, and proud to be part of the Georgetown community.

The first thing I would say to myself as a senior in high scool is never doubt your ability to achieve what you want. I knew at the end of my senior year that I wanted to attend Georgetown, but I was too afraid to apply and face rejection. My guidance counselor informed me that Georgetown was a reach and not a very probable option so I settled on George Washington University. While in the same city, these schools are completely different in character and student composition. I applied as a transfer student after my freshman year at GW and was accepted into Georgetown. Looking back, I realize I was actually a very strong candidate for Georgetown and may have been accepted out of high school. I was ranked 9th out of 450 students, I had a high GPA, I was captain of my crew team, I held the same job for five years and was an active member of my church teaching religious classes. I would tell myself to believe in my own talent and not be discouraged by critisism and lack of support.

I think Georgetown's study space is one of the worst elements of this university because as an academically challenging school, there is a serious lack of space and convenience. The library, built in the 1970s, does not have a practical amount of electrical outlets for how many students require them for computers. The atmopshere of the library is also gloomy and almost depressing. There are never enough desks or any comfortable room for studying.

Yessenia

This school is academically challenging and has a real interest in protecting its reputation.

It is important to keep your goals in mind and understand that you are going into a completely different environment with completely different people. Do not be intimidated by this, take this as an opportunity to learn more, meet new people and build a network. The transition to college life will be filled with temptation, but you must realize that although you are a very smart student living in a low income community your high school education has not adequately prepared you to continue directly into a 4 year institution. The qualities you posses should not be undermined, as they are irreplaceable and will serve to get you through the transition, life has thrown many hardballs your way and I know that the strength you have gained from experience will only help you overcome any obstacles in college. Never undermine yourself, the amount of books you?ve read does not matter, at the end of the day your desire to persevere and appreciation for education will lead you to success. Know your options, financial aid is available, do not limit yourself, and tell everyone you know that funds exist to make graduating from college a reality.

I wouldn't say any student shouldn't attend this school, but I do recognize it is a difficult enviornment for students that do not come from the top high schools in the nation. Preperation is key, living in low income enviornments and attending ill funded schools makes the transition difficult and forces you to play catch up thoughout college. It is a Jesuit campus very open to all students so I think everyone can potentially have a positive experience.

Matthew

My classmates are driven with passion to become grassroots peacemakers in hopes that we can avert more sectarian violence and the crisis of purpose seen in the near tragedy of the recent Christmas terrorism incident (and other needless suffering that includes high rates of child mortality from Malaria and insufficient hygiene; many of the world?s pressing problems are solvable if we find the collective resolve, coupled with innovative approaches such as a global youth service corps as a multinational force for good beyond borders).

Prepare, prepare, prepare. Look for scholorship opportunites while you are still in High School. Review the courses that you want to take and familiarize yourself with basic information. Get a summer job to have extra cash to carry for at least the first semester for incedentals. Begin to develop you own unique reading strategy; there will be alot of reading to do. While making the transition try to list activities and thier deadlines to avoid stress, and last minute catch-up. begin to write your essays while in High school for scholarship entries. Then when you find a scholarship opportunity it will be earier to rewrite parts.

Valerie

Deciding the college you will spend four years of your life at is a daunting task. I was overwhelmed and delayed deciding until the last moment. I wish I would have been reassured that the decision was my own and to not allow anyone or anything influence my choice. The choice should be made with your heart; you know there is one calling your name underneath all the other pulls. I for one let my fear of an unfamiliar place, guilt of leaving friends, and fear of loans override my gut feeling. I decided to stay in state and attend ASU because it was the most logical. I received free tuition and would be among friends in a familiar town. I regretted this decision and applied to other schools during the second semester. This year I have transferred to Georgetown University and love the change. From my experience of transferring schools my most important piece of advice is not to let the college decision overwhelm you into feeling like you must do what is most logical. Follow your heart and know that you always have the ability to transfer if you are not fully satisfied.

As a sophomore transfer student the worst thing about the school is the relative exclusiveness. The student body seems to have and unwritten code of making your circle of friends right away and keeping it the same all throughout the four years. While every one on campus is friendly and helpful there are definite student clubs that hold an apparent exclusiveness.

When learning about Georgetown there is always an emphasis on how easy it is to access downtown DC via the metro system. However it's often kept quiet that Georgetown does not have its own metro stop like most of the other surrounding colleges. While it is possible to access the nearest metro stop via Georgetown run shuttle, I wish I would have known that these shuttle are not as convenient as theysound I expected to spend a lot more time downtown enjoying all that DC has to offer. However, without a Georgetown metro I have not fulfilled this expectation.

Aside from Georgetown basketball (GO HOYAS!), Georgetown is known for its four unique undergraduate colleges: the McDonough School of Business, The Nursing School, The Walsh School of Foreign service, and the Liberal Arts College. Though each of these schools a student focuses on a particular area of study, Georgetown is known for its attempt to educatuate the "whole person." People at Georgetown are well-dressed, healthy, giving, smart, hard-working, fun-loving and dedicated to the things they care about. The idea of creating a balanced student comes from the Jesuit history, which expresses itself more philosophically than religiously.

Finally escaping your hometown and arriving at an entirely new campus, with new people, new activities, and an entirely new lifestyle, gives you the opportunity to recreate your persona. In theory, you can be whoever you want to be. I would advise you, however, to be yourself. After all, it's worked pretty well for your first eighteen years. Don't be afraid to let your true personality, interests, and passions shine through. The great thing about college is that people of all types can find others like themselves and build meaningful relationships. Be good to yourself, and don't try to be someone you're not. As the stress of school work and activities start to build, keeping up a charade will be nearly impossible. If you try to conform to a certain image, you may wind up losing what makes you unique. Trust me, people will love you best for who you really are.

I would say that there is something at this school for just about anybody. It is a great place for social people who want to meet other interesting students and get involved in exciting, meaningful ways. There are an infinite number of things to do on campus, and since D.C. surrounds the campus, metropolitan life, museums, and other opportunities are only a bus/metro ride away. People interested in international issues and developing as a whole person will enjoy Georgetown the most due to the worldly focus and heavy (but interesting) liberal arts requirements.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.