Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Yessenia

This school is academically challenging and has a real interest in protecting its reputation.

It is important to keep your goals in mind and understand that you are going into a completely different environment with completely different people. Do not be intimidated by this, take this as an opportunity to learn more, meet new people and build a network. The transition to college life will be filled with temptation, but you must realize that although you are a very smart student living in a low income community your high school education has not adequately prepared you to continue directly into a 4 year institution. The qualities you posses should not be undermined, as they are irreplaceable and will serve to get you through the transition, life has thrown many hardballs your way and I know that the strength you have gained from experience will only help you overcome any obstacles in college. Never undermine yourself, the amount of books you?ve read does not matter, at the end of the day your desire to persevere and appreciation for education will lead you to success. Know your options, financial aid is available, do not limit yourself, and tell everyone you know that funds exist to make graduating from college a reality.

I wouldn't say any student shouldn't attend this school, but I do recognize it is a difficult enviornment for students that do not come from the top high schools in the nation. Preperation is key, living in low income enviornments and attending ill funded schools makes the transition difficult and forces you to play catch up thoughout college. It is a Jesuit campus very open to all students so I think everyone can potentially have a positive experience.

Matthew

My classmates are driven with passion to become grassroots peacemakers in hopes that we can avert more sectarian violence and the crisis of purpose seen in the near tragedy of the recent Christmas terrorism incident (and other needless suffering that includes high rates of child mortality from Malaria and insufficient hygiene; many of the world?s pressing problems are solvable if we find the collective resolve, coupled with innovative approaches such as a global youth service corps as a multinational force for good beyond borders).

Prepare, prepare, prepare. Look for scholorship opportunites while you are still in High School. Review the courses that you want to take and familiarize yourself with basic information. Get a summer job to have extra cash to carry for at least the first semester for incedentals. Begin to develop you own unique reading strategy; there will be alot of reading to do. While making the transition try to list activities and thier deadlines to avoid stress, and last minute catch-up. begin to write your essays while in High school for scholarship entries. Then when you find a scholarship opportunity it will be earier to rewrite parts.

Valerie

Deciding the college you will spend four years of your life at is a daunting task. I was overwhelmed and delayed deciding until the last moment. I wish I would have been reassured that the decision was my own and to not allow anyone or anything influence my choice. The choice should be made with your heart; you know there is one calling your name underneath all the other pulls. I for one let my fear of an unfamiliar place, guilt of leaving friends, and fear of loans override my gut feeling. I decided to stay in state and attend ASU because it was the most logical. I received free tuition and would be among friends in a familiar town. I regretted this decision and applied to other schools during the second semester. This year I have transferred to Georgetown University and love the change. From my experience of transferring schools my most important piece of advice is not to let the college decision overwhelm you into feeling like you must do what is most logical. Follow your heart and know that you always have the ability to transfer if you are not fully satisfied.

As a sophomore transfer student the worst thing about the school is the relative exclusiveness. The student body seems to have and unwritten code of making your circle of friends right away and keeping it the same all throughout the four years. While every one on campus is friendly and helpful there are definite student clubs that hold an apparent exclusiveness.

When learning about Georgetown there is always an emphasis on how easy it is to access downtown DC via the metro system. However it's often kept quiet that Georgetown does not have its own metro stop like most of the other surrounding colleges. While it is possible to access the nearest metro stop via Georgetown run shuttle, I wish I would have known that these shuttle are not as convenient as theysound I expected to spend a lot more time downtown enjoying all that DC has to offer. However, without a Georgetown metro I have not fulfilled this expectation.

Aside from Georgetown basketball (GO HOYAS!), Georgetown is known for its four unique undergraduate colleges: the McDonough School of Business, The Nursing School, The Walsh School of Foreign service, and the Liberal Arts College. Though each of these schools a student focuses on a particular area of study, Georgetown is known for its attempt to educatuate the "whole person." People at Georgetown are well-dressed, healthy, giving, smart, hard-working, fun-loving and dedicated to the things they care about. The idea of creating a balanced student comes from the Jesuit history, which expresses itself more philosophically than religiously.

Finally escaping your hometown and arriving at an entirely new campus, with new people, new activities, and an entirely new lifestyle, gives you the opportunity to recreate your persona. In theory, you can be whoever you want to be. I would advise you, however, to be yourself. After all, it's worked pretty well for your first eighteen years. Don't be afraid to let your true personality, interests, and passions shine through. The great thing about college is that people of all types can find others like themselves and build meaningful relationships. Be good to yourself, and don't try to be someone you're not. As the stress of school work and activities start to build, keeping up a charade will be nearly impossible. If you try to conform to a certain image, you may wind up losing what makes you unique. Trust me, people will love you best for who you really are.

I would say that there is something at this school for just about anybody. It is a great place for social people who want to meet other interesting students and get involved in exciting, meaningful ways. There are an infinite number of things to do on campus, and since D.C. surrounds the campus, metropolitan life, museums, and other opportunities are only a bus/metro ride away. People interested in international issues and developing as a whole person will enjoy Georgetown the most due to the worldly focus and heavy (but interesting) liberal arts requirements.

Montina

We are Georgetown: every student here spirited, dedicated, and truly wants to be here.

Dear 17-year-old Montina, Stop stressing about which college to pick. It may seem that each school has just as many pros and cons as the next. You may feel that you are more likely to make the wrong choice than you are the right choice. But that is not true. College will be what you make of it. Look at each choice carefully, and pick the best fit for right now. In the end, trust that you will be happy. If you do not get it right on the first try (although from the looks of things, you do), it is not the end of the world. The transition into college life will be easier than you expect. Distance from home may seem like a good idea now, but trust me, you will miss it more than you think. But, so long as you get yourself involved in college, you will be calling Georgetown home before you know it. Do not put off joining band or applying for internships until after settling in - the sooner the better, as finding your niche in the Georgetown community is what will help you adjust to life here. Hope that helps, Montina

For all of Georgetown's high standards and well-educated staff, their Internet inferface is terrible. The online application was far behind those of other schools as far as organization, and it was not even possible to save my progress as I went. Although I have never failed in finding information I need on the website, it is not as easy to navigate as I would like.

Philip

Even after spending almost three years at Georgetown, I feel as though I?ve only just arrived. I put us on such a high pedestal going into Georgetown that life as we always wanted to enjoy it passed by underneath me. Unable to reconcile my feelings of anticipation from high school with the indifference I felt from my peers, I retreated into the shadows of my high school memories and took perturbed solace in the shade of depression for my entire freshmen year. Philip, your expectations for yourself and your first year at college away from everything and everyone familiar to you are simply too high. Upon arriving at Georgetown, I know you will refuse to call this strange new world home - How could you, in a place where no one understands your past, your present, your sense of humor, your love of music, your soul? But Philip, can you yourself proclaim to fully understand these things? No. The knowledge you have about yourself and the world is not yet complete. It may never be complete. But as unlikely as it will seem at first glance, being here will help, more than anything else we have ever experienced...I promise.

Someone who thrives on artistic diversity, a free spirit. Someone who doesn't like to play by the rules because by golly, we have a lot. And you can't break them, or people will stare.

College is a different world. Nothing can prepare you for the adventurers and experiences you are about to embark on. There are no parents, teachers, or counselors breathing down your neck, calculating your every move. You are now granted the freedom that you have probably been itching to have. You now control your life. You call your own shots and only consult with your parents, professor, and advisors. That is a lot of power for a 17-18 year old to handle. Don't let it go to your head. Remember there is a monetary investment in you and your completion, so use your new found freedom and power wisely. You will now be a Freshman and what a perfect name for embarkers on higher education, being that you will be fresh to life without familiarities- different environment, different people, different atmosphere, etc. Use that freshness to learn your environment and the people you will be sharing that environment with. Don't be afraid to ask questions and share your ideas. Take on challenges, BE INVOLVED. Don't just go to class to get a degree. Go to college, be active in your classes and community and earn a degree.

The worst thing about Georgetown University is probably the rat population. During the evening hours, on campus grounds- not in buildings- you will definitely see a couple of rats. The school does as much it can to keep the rat population at a minimum, but with all the campus development and construction projects happening in the Georgetown Residential Community, encountering a furry critter on any evening is more than likely to occur.

I look back now and I wish I had known about the Continuing Studies Program at Georgetown University 5 years ago. It is not bad that I am just starting the program because I am on the road to undeniable success; but I cannot help but to think that if I had known then what I know now, I could have a PhD in International Affairs, and could be working for the Dept. of State as a Foreign Service Officer/Specialist, or working at a U.S. Embassy.

Justine

Jesuit institution that takes pride in a liberal arts education, centered pluralism and community service.

Talk to your professors! Most professors like to have students come to them for help during office hours, so take this opportunity to interact with them one-on-one as much as possible. Not only does this clear up confusion or misunderstandings and help to complete the assignments, but the personal contact increases your motivation to do well in the course. Moreover, the professor gets to know you and he or she often can be quite encouraging. In some cases, professors find it very helpful to know what aspects of the lessons or assignments are especially confusing, so that they can spend extra time clarifying certain concepts in class. I discovered that I received the highest grades in the courses in which I regularly visited the professor during office hours, not only because I understood the material better, but also because I had to keep up with the material in order to discuss it with the professor on a regular basis. Realizing this, I started to make the extra effort to do this for all my courses-- even when I thought that I understood the material well. It took a lot of discipline, but it was well worth it!

The theater productions, the performing arts faculty, and the performing arts center on campus.

Alexandra

If I could go back in time and talk to the high school Alex, I would give her the same advice my mother gives me everyday. This is the advice that I received on my very first day of elementary school, that guided me throughout these early years of my life, and that I would repeat to all young adults embarking on their journey towards independence: Everyday is a new day, just do your best. My mother says it in Chinese, but the meaning is not lost in translation. It means you should not dwell on how you excelled during high school, but double your effort for college. Do not hesitate when faced with an interesting opportunity, because if goes badly, tomorrow is a new day. Live with no regrets, because you did your best. College can only be the wonderful experience it should be if you let go of your inhibitions and make the most of every opportunity. Do not compare new experiences to past ones, just aim to make even better experiences in the future. Do not get bogged down in decisions pertaining to your future, concentrate on making every day as good as it can be.

The most frustrating things is having such a full schedule. Georgetown has a multitude of famous and interesting guest speakers invited on campus to give talks weekly, but my schedule makes it so that I can never attend them. I always have a class or have to work when President Obama, famous writers, former government officials, foreign ambassadors, and other specialists from all fields come to speak. It is hard to juggle the workload and all the other things you want to do on the side, like work and activities, as well as trying to attend talks.

A highly intuitive person, who is eager to learn and unafraid of giving personal opinions. There is a lot of knowledge from a huge range of academic fields, and a truly diverse atmosphere of opinions and experiences. You should be tolerant of and even really inquisitive of other people's ideas, experiences and opinions. Issues concerning religion, race, gender relations and sexual orientation are openly discussed among peers and in the learning environment. Openness to things that are new is crucial to making the Georgetown experience worthwhile.

Matthew

I would tell myself to study harder for the AP exams as they can make your first couple years of college less stressful. Some APs can give you college credit which allow you to take classes that you want and that go towards your major. I also would advise myself to not be too stressed out in high school.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.