Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Montina

We are Georgetown: every student here spirited, dedicated, and truly wants to be here.

Dear 17-year-old Montina, Stop stressing about which college to pick. It may seem that each school has just as many pros and cons as the next. You may feel that you are more likely to make the wrong choice than you are the right choice. But that is not true. College will be what you make of it. Look at each choice carefully, and pick the best fit for right now. In the end, trust that you will be happy. If you do not get it right on the first try (although from the looks of things, you do), it is not the end of the world. The transition into college life will be easier than you expect. Distance from home may seem like a good idea now, but trust me, you will miss it more than you think. But, so long as you get yourself involved in college, you will be calling Georgetown home before you know it. Do not put off joining band or applying for internships until after settling in - the sooner the better, as finding your niche in the Georgetown community is what will help you adjust to life here. Hope that helps, Montina

For all of Georgetown's high standards and well-educated staff, their Internet inferface is terrible. The online application was far behind those of other schools as far as organization, and it was not even possible to save my progress as I went. Although I have never failed in finding information I need on the website, it is not as easy to navigate as I would like.

Philip

Even after spending almost three years at Georgetown, I feel as though I?ve only just arrived. I put us on such a high pedestal going into Georgetown that life as we always wanted to enjoy it passed by underneath me. Unable to reconcile my feelings of anticipation from high school with the indifference I felt from my peers, I retreated into the shadows of my high school memories and took perturbed solace in the shade of depression for my entire freshmen year. Philip, your expectations for yourself and your first year at college away from everything and everyone familiar to you are simply too high. Upon arriving at Georgetown, I know you will refuse to call this strange new world home - How could you, in a place where no one understands your past, your present, your sense of humor, your love of music, your soul? But Philip, can you yourself proclaim to fully understand these things? No. The knowledge you have about yourself and the world is not yet complete. It may never be complete. But as unlikely as it will seem at first glance, being here will help, more than anything else we have ever experienced...I promise.

Someone who thrives on artistic diversity, a free spirit. Someone who doesn't like to play by the rules because by golly, we have a lot. And you can't break them, or people will stare.

College is a different world. Nothing can prepare you for the adventurers and experiences you are about to embark on. There are no parents, teachers, or counselors breathing down your neck, calculating your every move. You are now granted the freedom that you have probably been itching to have. You now control your life. You call your own shots and only consult with your parents, professor, and advisors. That is a lot of power for a 17-18 year old to handle. Don't let it go to your head. Remember there is a monetary investment in you and your completion, so use your new found freedom and power wisely. You will now be a Freshman and what a perfect name for embarkers on higher education, being that you will be fresh to life without familiarities- different environment, different people, different atmosphere, etc. Use that freshness to learn your environment and the people you will be sharing that environment with. Don't be afraid to ask questions and share your ideas. Take on challenges, BE INVOLVED. Don't just go to class to get a degree. Go to college, be active in your classes and community and earn a degree.

The worst thing about Georgetown University is probably the rat population. During the evening hours, on campus grounds- not in buildings- you will definitely see a couple of rats. The school does as much it can to keep the rat population at a minimum, but with all the campus development and construction projects happening in the Georgetown Residential Community, encountering a furry critter on any evening is more than likely to occur.

I look back now and I wish I had known about the Continuing Studies Program at Georgetown University 5 years ago. It is not bad that I am just starting the program because I am on the road to undeniable success; but I cannot help but to think that if I had known then what I know now, I could have a PhD in International Affairs, and could be working for the Dept. of State as a Foreign Service Officer/Specialist, or working at a U.S. Embassy.

Justine

Jesuit institution that takes pride in a liberal arts education, centered pluralism and community service.

Talk to your professors! Most professors like to have students come to them for help during office hours, so take this opportunity to interact with them one-on-one as much as possible. Not only does this clear up confusion or misunderstandings and help to complete the assignments, but the personal contact increases your motivation to do well in the course. Moreover, the professor gets to know you and he or she often can be quite encouraging. In some cases, professors find it very helpful to know what aspects of the lessons or assignments are especially confusing, so that they can spend extra time clarifying certain concepts in class. I discovered that I received the highest grades in the courses in which I regularly visited the professor during office hours, not only because I understood the material better, but also because I had to keep up with the material in order to discuss it with the professor on a regular basis. Realizing this, I started to make the extra effort to do this for all my courses-- even when I thought that I understood the material well. It took a lot of discipline, but it was well worth it!

The theater productions, the performing arts faculty, and the performing arts center on campus.

Alexandra

If I could go back in time and talk to the high school Alex, I would give her the same advice my mother gives me everyday. This is the advice that I received on my very first day of elementary school, that guided me throughout these early years of my life, and that I would repeat to all young adults embarking on their journey towards independence: Everyday is a new day, just do your best. My mother says it in Chinese, but the meaning is not lost in translation. It means you should not dwell on how you excelled during high school, but double your effort for college. Do not hesitate when faced with an interesting opportunity, because if goes badly, tomorrow is a new day. Live with no regrets, because you did your best. College can only be the wonderful experience it should be if you let go of your inhibitions and make the most of every opportunity. Do not compare new experiences to past ones, just aim to make even better experiences in the future. Do not get bogged down in decisions pertaining to your future, concentrate on making every day as good as it can be.

The most frustrating things is having such a full schedule. Georgetown has a multitude of famous and interesting guest speakers invited on campus to give talks weekly, but my schedule makes it so that I can never attend them. I always have a class or have to work when President Obama, famous writers, former government officials, foreign ambassadors, and other specialists from all fields come to speak. It is hard to juggle the workload and all the other things you want to do on the side, like work and activities, as well as trying to attend talks.

A highly intuitive person, who is eager to learn and unafraid of giving personal opinions. There is a lot of knowledge from a huge range of academic fields, and a truly diverse atmosphere of opinions and experiences. You should be tolerant of and even really inquisitive of other people's ideas, experiences and opinions. Issues concerning religion, race, gender relations and sexual orientation are openly discussed among peers and in the learning environment. Openness to things that are new is crucial to making the Georgetown experience worthwhile.

Matthew

I would tell myself to study harder for the AP exams as they can make your first couple years of college less stressful. Some APs can give you college credit which allow you to take classes that you want and that go towards your major. I also would advise myself to not be too stressed out in high school.

Antoinette

Never skip class and do not get financially involved with your significant other. Figure out what you want to do and not what others would like you to do. Follow your dreams but have a back up plan in case your dreams are a ways off - you'll need to make money in the mean time. Have fun and treasure the friends you've made like I do now.

The atmosphere, professors, programs, and how helpful everyone is. They really care that you do well.

The accessibility. It can be a bit hard to reach if you live in other areas in the city.

Glynis

Looking back one of the biggest mistakes I made when choosing a college was not thinking about my social life. I was so focused on choosing the school with the perfect academic program and size that I completely ignored my social life-- bad choice. Of course, finding a school with the right program is important, BUT do not ignore discovering what environment you will feel most comfortable in. Pick a school whose size matches your personality and whose social scene follows what you want. Make as many friends as possible in the first few weeks, because after that, everyone will branch off into their small groups and you will have lost your chance! Also, join multiple clubs not just based on the activity but based on how much you enjoy the people involved in the club-- they may and probably will become your closest friends! For me, the transition was easy; however, make the best choice not just for your academic needs but for your social needs! Don't be afraid to ask students at the schools what life there is REALLY like! Good luck seniors!

Georgetown needs to improve its facilities, and that's all a matter of its small endowment. Also, I'm just very frustrated by the social scene. Because there are no places to host large parties I have found it very hard to socialize with new people. Also, I feel like there are a ton of pretty girls here that clearly outnumber the number of guys. I wish someone had warned me about the different social scenes- make sure you prospectives check that out!

There is SO much I wish I had known, which is exactly why I filled out this survey. You must consider the DIFFERENT social scenes. Georgetown does not have a big fraternity/sorority scene AT ALL. I am not a sorority girl, so I thought this was a good thing. However, I now believe that you do need frats/sororities as a means to socialize. At Georgetown, parties are very small and intimate usually with close friends, so I've found it hard to date and meet new people when it comes to parties.

Willis

Georgetown students are a diverse and knowledgable group that are very motivated to do well in school while recognizing the importance of being well-rounded individuals.

The most valuable information that I could give my high school senior self is that making good friends takes time. I entered college expecting to instantly make as good and as deep of friendships that I had with my friends in high school, yet I failed to realize those relationships took four years to develop. During the first couple months of college, I was really disappointed that my new friendships did not feel of the same caliber as the ones I left behind. I interpreted my school as the problem. I started to think the school wasn?t the right place for me. As time went on, however, I got to know people better and have made great new friends. So, for my senior self: ?Have patience and all your initial worries at college are only trivial. Everything works out in the end.?

Unlike other universities, Georgetown did not do a great job of helping incoming freshman learn how college academia works. Signing up for classes involved navigating through an overly confusing website with no instructions or suggestions. I wish they would provide some tips on the best way to approach the first semester and instead of assuming students came in with the understanding of college life.

Felice

Small classes and teacher are easy to reach. Nice library. Financially stable

Small classes and teacher are easy to reach. Nice library. Financially stable

I would give myself the advice to make good grade and not worry about the other kids and do not be afraid and worry more about academics and not try to hard or be too shy.

That you did not have to take all of the classes just as it is stated in the book. I wish I knew how to be more studious

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.