Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Antoinette

Never skip class and do not get financially involved with your significant other. Figure out what you want to do and not what others would like you to do. Follow your dreams but have a back up plan in case your dreams are a ways off - you'll need to make money in the mean time. Have fun and treasure the friends you've made like I do now.

The atmosphere, professors, programs, and how helpful everyone is. They really care that you do well.

The accessibility. It can be a bit hard to reach if you live in other areas in the city.

Glynis

Looking back one of the biggest mistakes I made when choosing a college was not thinking about my social life. I was so focused on choosing the school with the perfect academic program and size that I completely ignored my social life-- bad choice. Of course, finding a school with the right program is important, BUT do not ignore discovering what environment you will feel most comfortable in. Pick a school whose size matches your personality and whose social scene follows what you want. Make as many friends as possible in the first few weeks, because after that, everyone will branch off into their small groups and you will have lost your chance! Also, join multiple clubs not just based on the activity but based on how much you enjoy the people involved in the club-- they may and probably will become your closest friends! For me, the transition was easy; however, make the best choice not just for your academic needs but for your social needs! Don't be afraid to ask students at the schools what life there is REALLY like! Good luck seniors!

Georgetown needs to improve its facilities, and that's all a matter of its small endowment. Also, I'm just very frustrated by the social scene. Because there are no places to host large parties I have found it very hard to socialize with new people. Also, I feel like there are a ton of pretty girls here that clearly outnumber the number of guys. I wish someone had warned me about the different social scenes- make sure you prospectives check that out!

There is SO much I wish I had known, which is exactly why I filled out this survey. You must consider the DIFFERENT social scenes. Georgetown does not have a big fraternity/sorority scene AT ALL. I am not a sorority girl, so I thought this was a good thing. However, I now believe that you do need frats/sororities as a means to socialize. At Georgetown, parties are very small and intimate usually with close friends, so I've found it hard to date and meet new people when it comes to parties.

Willis

Georgetown students are a diverse and knowledgable group that are very motivated to do well in school while recognizing the importance of being well-rounded individuals.

The most valuable information that I could give my high school senior self is that making good friends takes time. I entered college expecting to instantly make as good and as deep of friendships that I had with my friends in high school, yet I failed to realize those relationships took four years to develop. During the first couple months of college, I was really disappointed that my new friendships did not feel of the same caliber as the ones I left behind. I interpreted my school as the problem. I started to think the school wasn?t the right place for me. As time went on, however, I got to know people better and have made great new friends. So, for my senior self: ?Have patience and all your initial worries at college are only trivial. Everything works out in the end.?

Unlike other universities, Georgetown did not do a great job of helping incoming freshman learn how college academia works. Signing up for classes involved navigating through an overly confusing website with no instructions or suggestions. I wish they would provide some tips on the best way to approach the first semester and instead of assuming students came in with the understanding of college life.

Felice

Small classes and teacher are easy to reach. Nice library. Financially stable

Small classes and teacher are easy to reach. Nice library. Financially stable

I would give myself the advice to make good grade and not worry about the other kids and do not be afraid and worry more about academics and not try to hard or be too shy.

That you did not have to take all of the classes just as it is stated in the book. I wish I knew how to be more studious

Camille

Everyone thinks that college is just simply fun, but it also involves strenuous hours of hard work and determination. The first semester of college is definitely an eye opener; it is a difficult transition to make from high school especially when playing a varsity sport. However, the transition is not impossible. It may take you a while to adjust, but all you need is patience and motivation to not give up on your dream college, major, and your dream of playing a varsity sport. In order to accomplish this, be sure to establish good study skills while in high school because professors expect you to know how to study for tests and write academic papers. Although, everything can be overwhelming, especially the workload, take a deep breath and know that other students may feel the same way; it is best to make friends and take a break from studying once and a while, or else you will become stressed and emotionally struggle. College is not impossible; it is difficult, but definitely doable. Stay strong and live your dream!

A person that wants to attend this school should be very dedicated and disciplined with their academics. They should be willing to accept any challenge that comes their way and never give up.

I brag about the location and about the beautiful campus.

Albert

The proximity to the capital as well as the many internships "on the hill," plus the many faculty members that serve both in the government and as instructors or board members at Georgetown.

If I were able to tell myself about college, I would first and foremost say: relax! While there are the horror stories of bad roommates, horrid deans, and boring professors, this is only a small part of college that everyone deals with. The majority of people are just like you: probably nervous, scared, and wanting to make new friends and enjoy the college life that has been so hyped by both the media and the people around you. Remember to play hard and work hard; don't spend all your time buried in books, but also don't spend all your time passed out at parties. Having fun is an important part of life, and will help your school work, not hinder it. Finally, grab the opportunities that your school offers, join the clubs that interest you, talk to your professors, go to the sponsored events, and utilize the volunteer and internship opportunities. You have four years, but they'll go by fast. Don't wait to start doing. Do it now.

The core curriculum is rather heavy, making it difficult to take classes of interest during the early years. This is especially true for students in the School of Foreign Service.

Trevor

To myself, I would say to pursue whatever I want to do, not what anyone else wants to do. You will never be happy doing what you think will make you cool and sacrificing what you truly want to do. Be open to many new types of people and always be friendly. Do not stay in on weekends. College isn't just about grades; it's about learning who you are as a person, and much of that comes outside the classroom. Make new friends, but keep the ones at home close. While you should definitely try new things, only try those things that you feel safe doing. Always remember, everyone else is as alone and scared as you are when you first get to school, so it's the perfect time to make friends. Live with no regrets, and study hard. If you give 100% into anything you do, you will never be disappointed with yourself. Finally, do not be afraid to meet with professors; you are paying for them after all!

I brag about the unique experiences I have that can only come from living in D.C. This includes walking to the monuments, going to the Library of Congress, and attending presentations at the National Geographic Society.

There is no such thing as a "standard Georgetown student." The only uniting factor among students here is a drive to succeed and academically intelligent. Often, any given student seems to fit into a specific stereotype but actually participates in activities that completely shatter that stereotype. For example, a football player who sings in an a cappella group, or a lacrosse player that can also tap dance.

Amy

I would remind myself that college is a new and exciting experience. I would tell myself to be more open and outgoing and that the people that I will meet will not be the type of people that I was friends with in High School. I would encourage myself to have an open mind, socially, and to get involved in various clubs, organizations and activities. I would also remind myself (repeatedly) that my experience at Georgetown will be entirely different than those of my friends' who attend(ed) large, public state schools - and to not compare my experience to theirs. I would encourage myself to explore various subject matters, to visit the career center and to engage with my professors and upperclassmen. I feel as though there was a lack of direction, in terms of career guidance, at Georgetown. So, I would explore my interests early on, especially by getting involved in off campus activities/internships/volunteer projects. I would mostly tell myself that the next four years should be one of the best experiences of my life and to make the most out of them.

Overall, Georgetown has a great reputation - especiallu their School of Foreign Service. I don't brag about the school, at all, but people are impresssed when I tell them I attended GU.

I wish I had known more about the student body, student life and the social/weekend life of the students/campus. It was a definite "culture shock" for me, my freshman year. I'm not sure if knowing more about the realities of the social circumstances would have changed my mind in terms of attending GU, but I feel as though I might have been more prepared, and consequently, less frustrated.

Alanna

You made the right choice and it was worth giving up scholarships to other colleges.

It is in the ideal location. You still have the feel of a close-knit campus but you also have the city minutes away.

HOYA BASKETBALL!!! And we have amazing alumni that are always willing to give a fellow hoya a helping hand if possible.

Alexis

College is totally your choice and the same thing with life it is a choice. You already think you do not get to make many choices, so prove that you can make not only choices but the right choices. And if you want to make the best out of life then college is the best choice. If you think that you are just tired of school, then you be tired of struggling with just a high school diploma. College is a growing up stage in life that I feel will be a great requirement for you. You will be in total control of your actions and learning styles, you will meet new people that will help or even try to break you, but you will be responsible for what you choose them to do to you. You will go to college and push yourself to do well and be a successful human being. You will not dream about what you want to do, but you be living your dream. And be a role model for those who think they cannot accomplish much out of life.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.