Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Camille

Everyone thinks that college is just simply fun, but it also involves strenuous hours of hard work and determination. The first semester of college is definitely an eye opener; it is a difficult transition to make from high school especially when playing a varsity sport. However, the transition is not impossible. It may take you a while to adjust, but all you need is patience and motivation to not give up on your dream college, major, and your dream of playing a varsity sport. In order to accomplish this, be sure to establish good study skills while in high school because professors expect you to know how to study for tests and write academic papers. Although, everything can be overwhelming, especially the workload, take a deep breath and know that other students may feel the same way; it is best to make friends and take a break from studying once and a while, or else you will become stressed and emotionally struggle. College is not impossible; it is difficult, but definitely doable. Stay strong and live your dream!

A person that wants to attend this school should be very dedicated and disciplined with their academics. They should be willing to accept any challenge that comes their way and never give up.

I brag about the location and about the beautiful campus.

Albert

The proximity to the capital as well as the many internships "on the hill," plus the many faculty members that serve both in the government and as instructors or board members at Georgetown.

If I were able to tell myself about college, I would first and foremost say: relax! While there are the horror stories of bad roommates, horrid deans, and boring professors, this is only a small part of college that everyone deals with. The majority of people are just like you: probably nervous, scared, and wanting to make new friends and enjoy the college life that has been so hyped by both the media and the people around you. Remember to play hard and work hard; don't spend all your time buried in books, but also don't spend all your time passed out at parties. Having fun is an important part of life, and will help your school work, not hinder it. Finally, grab the opportunities that your school offers, join the clubs that interest you, talk to your professors, go to the sponsored events, and utilize the volunteer and internship opportunities. You have four years, but they'll go by fast. Don't wait to start doing. Do it now.

The core curriculum is rather heavy, making it difficult to take classes of interest during the early years. This is especially true for students in the School of Foreign Service.

Trevor

To myself, I would say to pursue whatever I want to do, not what anyone else wants to do. You will never be happy doing what you think will make you cool and sacrificing what you truly want to do. Be open to many new types of people and always be friendly. Do not stay in on weekends. College isn't just about grades; it's about learning who you are as a person, and much of that comes outside the classroom. Make new friends, but keep the ones at home close. While you should definitely try new things, only try those things that you feel safe doing. Always remember, everyone else is as alone and scared as you are when you first get to school, so it's the perfect time to make friends. Live with no regrets, and study hard. If you give 100% into anything you do, you will never be disappointed with yourself. Finally, do not be afraid to meet with professors; you are paying for them after all!

I brag about the unique experiences I have that can only come from living in D.C. This includes walking to the monuments, going to the Library of Congress, and attending presentations at the National Geographic Society.

There is no such thing as a "standard Georgetown student." The only uniting factor among students here is a drive to succeed and academically intelligent. Often, any given student seems to fit into a specific stereotype but actually participates in activities that completely shatter that stereotype. For example, a football player who sings in an a cappella group, or a lacrosse player that can also tap dance.

Amy

I would remind myself that college is a new and exciting experience. I would tell myself to be more open and outgoing and that the people that I will meet will not be the type of people that I was friends with in High School. I would encourage myself to have an open mind, socially, and to get involved in various clubs, organizations and activities. I would also remind myself (repeatedly) that my experience at Georgetown will be entirely different than those of my friends' who attend(ed) large, public state schools - and to not compare my experience to theirs. I would encourage myself to explore various subject matters, to visit the career center and to engage with my professors and upperclassmen. I feel as though there was a lack of direction, in terms of career guidance, at Georgetown. So, I would explore my interests early on, especially by getting involved in off campus activities/internships/volunteer projects. I would mostly tell myself that the next four years should be one of the best experiences of my life and to make the most out of them.

Overall, Georgetown has a great reputation - especiallu their School of Foreign Service. I don't brag about the school, at all, but people are impresssed when I tell them I attended GU.

I wish I had known more about the student body, student life and the social/weekend life of the students/campus. It was a definite "culture shock" for me, my freshman year. I'm not sure if knowing more about the realities of the social circumstances would have changed my mind in terms of attending GU, but I feel as though I might have been more prepared, and consequently, less frustrated.

Alanna

You made the right choice and it was worth giving up scholarships to other colleges.

It is in the ideal location. You still have the feel of a close-knit campus but you also have the city minutes away.

HOYA BASKETBALL!!! And we have amazing alumni that are always willing to give a fellow hoya a helping hand if possible.

Alexis

College is totally your choice and the same thing with life it is a choice. You already think you do not get to make many choices, so prove that you can make not only choices but the right choices. And if you want to make the best out of life then college is the best choice. If you think that you are just tired of school, then you be tired of struggling with just a high school diploma. College is a growing up stage in life that I feel will be a great requirement for you. You will be in total control of your actions and learning styles, you will meet new people that will help or even try to break you, but you will be responsible for what you choose them to do to you. You will go to college and push yourself to do well and be a successful human being. You will not dream about what you want to do, but you be living your dream. And be a role model for those who think they cannot accomplish much out of life.

Danielle

If I could go back in time, I would encourage myself to not have fences. During my college application process, I was very focused on staying close to home and on going to school in New York City. What I've realized is that location is in fact important, but my happen-stance application to Georgetown University opened up a new city to me. It also swayed my interest in my major and has opened a variety of doors for me professionally. If I hadn't by chance received a flyer from Georgetown, I would not have considered applying. As a senior in high school, I wish I had utilized my guidance counselor and other services more to see what schools were in my academic range, what unique offerings these schools might have and what opportunities a new region of the country would have to offer. It is too easy to stay close to home, and it does not challenge you to expand your capabilities. I was lucky that Georgetown found me, because I was too narrowly focused to find it on my own as a senior in high school.

I think one of the best things about Georgetown University is the availability of opportunities. Whether you are looking for an opportunity to learn about a new culture, an opportunity to explore the capitol or an opportunity to gain professional experience in your field, chances are Georgetown has the resources to help you achieve that. Professors, on-campus offices and the vibrant location of our school enables our education to include more than just the classroom.

I think the worst thing about Georgetown University is the expense. Though I have thoroughly enjoyed my college experience, it has been challenging and stressful to constantly try to earn money to cover the exorbitant tuition bill and the expenses incurred by living in a city, traveling home for breaks, etc.

Alanna

My classmates are all very talented and intelligent in a variety of areas.

My classmates are all very talented and intelligent in a variety of areas.

I would tell myself not to worry about turning down scholarships and that Georgetown would be worth it.

Someone who is hardworking and friendly.

Catherine

A school for academically motivated students who are willing to take their education into their own hands.

To seriously consider the balance between social life and academics and to realize how important both are in not only enjoying but also learning during your college experience.

Someone who prioritizes their social life over academics should not attend this school.

Trevor

While Georgetown has been regarded as a party school in the past, student mentality has shifted away from a social scene and is now geared towards boosting GPA's and taking on internships.

Be prepared to work hard, but do not obsess over grades. It is much better to have a small number of close friends than a large number of friends you barely know. Go to class; just by going your GPA will be a point higher. Take advantage of every opportunity available to you. Be yourself and not someone you think people will like. Pursue what you love, and do not join any groups you think will look good on your resum

A person who is not accepting of a diverse assortment of beliefs and lifestyles lived by their peers. Any person who is not willing to put forth 100% into all of their endevours may find him or herself feeling out of touch with those motivated to succeed. While academic success is by far the chief goal of all those attending, a person who has trouble letting their hair down may be overwhelmed. A person who does not like to become involved in campus will quickly become lost socially.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.