Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Andy

Georgetown's size is perfect. With about 6,000 undergrads you will always be meeting new people but also see familiar faces whereever you go. People are always impressed when they hear you're a Hoya. The Georgetown neighborhood of DC is SUCH a college town! There are great restaurants, shops, and there's always something to do. Georgetown is in a city but has a self-contained campus with grass and trees, which is great. The views in DC with the Potomac, the museums and the monuments can't be beat! There is a lot of school spirit on campus--everyone is a diehard Hoya.

Georgetown is a diverse, all-inclusive campus--we don't even have a Greek system to divide the student body. Overall, students aren't as politically active as I'd expected--which was a relief to me.

This just isn't true, and the Jane Hoya stereotype is something that the student body pokes fun at all of the time. A huge percentage of students are on financial aid, and the stereotyped preppy-dressing crowd only comprises a tiny percent of the undergraduate population; there's a group for everyone on this extremely diverse campus.

Almost all professors take the time to get to know students by name, and most want to get to know you even more. They're all very open and eager to help students perform to the best of their ability. The most unique class I've taken so far was Hindu Religious Tradition--such a great class and wonderful professor! Georgetown creates well-rounded students who are not only well-educated in liberal arts but are also ready for the work world in whatever field they choose. Almost all major firms recruit at Georgetown for full-time and internship positions. Class participation is common and you'll hear some very interesting debates in class, even in larger intro-level courses. The Theology requirement scared me at first, but when I got here and started taking the courses I fell in love with them--there is such a wide range to choose from!

The Georgetown Credit Union is the nation's largest entirely student-run credit union, with $12.2 million in peak assets. It's a great opportunity to get experience before graduation--whether you're working shifts, managing, or serving a term as CEO. The second floor of the library is the social floor, and my favorite place to work. You don't have to be silent, you're right near Midnight Mug (one of our student-run coffee shops owned by The Corp [largest student-run incorporation in the country, see the wiki page]), and it's more like hanging out with friends than stressful study time.

Many people think that all Georgetown students are your typical rich, preppy John and Jane Hoyas.

Alex

Best thing about Georgetown is the international scope - the value of going to school alongside smart kids from all over the the nation, and the world cannot be emphasized enough. I'd change the University's position toward fraternities. As a member of AKPsi, the professional business fraternity on campus, I am thrilled with the opportunities provided by, and the potential for, the frat, but I wish our chapter was not a mere 3 years old and supported more. School size is perfect - see your friends often, but always new people and new faces wherever you go. People react generally positively. It's recognized as a premier university in the country, but it's a friendly institution. The basketball team makes it accessible to sports fans, and the breakdown of 4 schools (business, foreign service, nursing, and college) means it has something in common, or if interest, with virtually everyone. The Jesuit identity is often remembered as well. I spend most of my time in my dorm now, just because I now do my work there since winter's frozen the path to the library. However, I'm out of my room most of the day, between classes, clubs, working out, intramural games, frat meetings, and parties. College town. Between M Street, Wisconsin, DC, and Rosslyn, there's not much more you could ask for in a college town. The administration seems to be there when you need, otherwise it just lets the University run itself. They're an accomplished bunch, from my understanding. Most recent issue had been a few homophobic incidents (they've been labeled 'hate crimes' but the facts were never clear). Those have been resolved since last semester, and the University takes any and all such problems very seriously and actively looks to eradicate any intolerance or threats on campus. School pride on campus could not be stronger. We love our University, our Hoyas, and we're proud to show it. HOYA SAXA, baby. The most unusual aspect to Georgetown is the extraordinary diversity of the University. You have members of the student body AND faculty from every conceivable walk of life, it's one of the single most valuable intangible assets of Georgetown. Most frequent student complaints are housing (we all want apartments), Leo's (we always want better food - it's not terrible though), and the price of things (it's just an expensive experience, but being a spendthrift in no way limits your time on the Hilltop).

There are a bevy of racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, etc. groups on campus, they're always welcoming to new members and there is never any hostility. I myself have never had any interest. The diversity of the student body means that no matter your race, religion, sexual preference, socio-economic status, or anything will isolate you, and the administration works to ensure everyone feels welcome on campus. Granted, an Irish Catholic attending a Jesuit university is a comfort, but I can't think of anyone who feels any prejudice towards he or she. Students' class (and social) attire ranges broadly, although there certainly is a preppy vibe at times. students make friends across any and all cultural distinctions. financial security is most common, although everyone is respectful of people regardless of their financial backgrounds and cognizant that their situation is not the only one. 4 tables of friends. varsity athletes, general population, guys, girls, students from all 4 years. the student body mixes very well. I have friends on the football, soccer, women's lacrosse, track, and crew teams, and probably more. I have friends who are in all 4 years of college here, study many different things, and have very different backgrounds. Most students are from East or West coast states, there's a lot of Jersey kids. I could never pin down the bulk of the student body to one particular place though, unless you want to go by hemisphere. There are a lot of Americans, but I'm friends with several who are not. Being in DC, there are a lot of politically active students, as well as students interested in politics. And a lot who are not. I'd guess there is a liberal majority. It varies how much kids discuss how much $$$ the might end up earning one day, some kids do, many kids don't.

There certainly are students from wealthy families, and legacy students are common throughout the student body. However, there is an extraordinary diversity of culture, class, religion, and interests on campus, and everyone is appreciated for the value they bring to campus. The elitism my friends have experienced at other campuses (@ Princeton, a friend joked he was from the local comm. college, and everyone there turned up their noses) does not exist. The signature motto, "Work hard, play hard," absolutely applies to the students here.

Professors know me well - i participate in my classes. Favorite class: Financial Accounting with Prem Jain. Our professor was a funny, middle-aged indian gentleman, who had grown bored of teaching MBA students (too serious, no fun), and decided to pick up the freshman ACCT-101. It was an absolute hoot, the man has worked all around the world and always had a funny story to tell. The work was always a challenge but I earned my A. Really got me interested in finance and the market. Least favorite: macro & micro econ. huge 150 student classes taught by piss-boring lectures. Students study and prepare themselves for class responsibly - it depends from student to student based on their goals, but everyone is interested in pulling solid grades. class participation is common, and encouraged by faculty. we do have intellectual conversations outside of class. students are competitive, but not in a negative way. everyone just wants to do well, and curves are common. I'm still working on the core requirements, but my Problem of God theology class, and American Political Theory gov classes were both pretty interesting. My international business class is fascinating. My probable majors are Accounting & Finance, i don't know much about the departments, but in general there is enough overlap between majors in the Biz School you can easily double major. I rarely spend time outside of class with my professors, but often send them emails either about class or professional opportunities. Academic requirements are rigorous but reasonable - you'll definitely receive a well-rounded education here. The education at Georgetown is geared towards learning. However, students are self-motivated to put their education to use in the professional world, and often look for applications of what they've learned. The administration looks to help the students in their efforts.

Most popular groups on campus are probably Rugby (they throw a lot of parties), South Asian Society (indian kids, also throw a lot of parties), Jew Frat (parties), and maybe my investment club (only a few parties a year, but they're awesome). I'm part of Georgetown Collegiate Investors, LLC., AKPsi Prof. Business Fraternity, and some intramural teams. Georgetown Collegiate Investors is the largest, and oldest, student-run fund in the nation, we invest our own money in the market and make a pretty solid return while learning tons about the investment process. It operates like a mutual fund, such that all of the members vote on which stocks to buy/sell, and the majority decision rules. Kids leave their dormroom doors unlocked/open when they're in, locked when they're out (usually). BASKETBALL is HUUUUUUUUUUGE, football & lacrosse are probably second. Guest speakers usually get a pretty solid turnout, often a 100+ people attending. Never been to theater, although it's quite common & popular. some kids date (both on-campus, and long-distance), some kids look for hookups. I met my friends through the dorm, my clubs, my older brother, and my frat. 2am Tuesday, i'm probably studying or screwing around in the dorm, hangin' out. Rangila, indian dance/performance is huge every fall, Midnight Madness for the basketball team is NUTS. Homecoming is a blast, the Syracuse/Georgetown basketball games are always intense. Foxfields in the spring is a shitshow (get drunk on a bus and go to some horseraces - you'll never see a horse and have the best time of your life). Georgetown Day in April is a 24 hour assault on your liver. people party whenever they can, although work is always a consideration. Thursday/Friday/Saturday is always on, and then depending on what your weeks' like, more from there. frats aren't that important, although I love mine and i'm glad to be part of it. last weekend was spring break. i was in south beach, miami, lovin' the sun. My friends were getting arrested in Panama City, Fl. You can go anywhere in the city when you're looking for some non-alcoholic amusement, any day of the week. movies, monuments, whatever. off campus i'm usually getting a bite to eat, movies or on booze runs.

rich kids, legacy, smart, well balanced, connected to the city, elitist, networked to the professional world.

Tom

The best thing about Georgetown is being in DC. There is always something new to see and do, without having to sacrifice a real campus (like GW does) School pride could be better, hopefully the recent basketball success will help us a bit. The biggest complaint is wireless internet access, it sucks! Very few dorms have it, and it is spotty in class buildings.

Most people, myself included, are from New Jersey.

About half of my professors know my name. Most are nice and helpful, but there are a few bad ones. Politics are widely discussed on campus, but besides that students don't often have intellectual discussions. The business school is definitely geared towards getting a job. It seems why most of the business students are their, and the professors understand that.

Dylan

Best thing about Georgetown is the location. Perfect college area, you feel like your in a college town at the same time that your in the capital of the most powerful country in the world. the bars, sites, food options, and entertainment options are the best. I find the school to be a little too small, but the fact that it is in the city makes up for this. There is just so much to do and your at a college with an incredible academic reputation, its a perfect spot. I wouldn't chose anywhere else.

Georgetown is mostly a white catholic school. This could be expected because it is a jesuit school. HOwever unlike most catholic schools, georgetown has diversity and is very international. I think this is because of its high standing academic reputation. I believe most students or from the upper-middle to upper class.

there are a lot of nerdy kids and preppy rich kids but there is enough diversity where anyone can find the right group for them. once they find that group they'll have a great time

Classes are often very tough and professors are very demanding. It is very hard to get A's without putting a lot of work each week into classes. Students are extremely competitive and often don't help out others just to better themselves. Some kids raise their hadn in class just to hear themselves talk and suck up to the teacher. I did not have any relationships with my professors as i did not take classes as seriously as some of my peers

The basketball team is the most exciting on campus. Games are always fun. The bar seen is the best for the night life. M street is one of the most fun streets in the country. People party definitely 3 times a week and sometimes 4. Off campus there is so much to do like site seeing, shopping, drinking, eating out, going to concerts, shows, sporting events.

Lee

The network, the experience, the culture, and the sense of togetherness. The majority of Georgetown students are friendly, open and kind. Not to mention the school is located in an amazing area.

To a certain degree. I would say that about 60-70% of georgetown students fall under the upper income status.

The biggest one is that all Georgetown Students are rich

I would change the alcohol policy and further advocate student unity. The students were all pretty unified after our Sweet Sixteen win last year. It was awesome! We ran to the White House.

There is plenty of diversity on campus, you just need to know where to look.

Our economics department is ridiculously difficult. If one is not already pretty proficient in econ, you will have great trouble.

Everyone at Georgetown is white with a popped collar and boat shoes

Dave

The best thing at Georgetown is the school spirit and its diversity. The school's size is just right, it feels small but it is big. When you tell people that you go to Georgetown, they react very impressed. I spend most of my time on campus on the tennis courts. Georgetown is a college town, but an expensive one. I feel that Georgetown's administration is a bit uptight, but they are also flexible. There is a ton of school pride. I will always remember Georgetown beating Louisville 55-52, to take the Big East Season title.

To some extent they are. Afterall, we are at a Catholic school, but I happen to be Jewish, and other faiths comprise a large population of the student body. As to being from New Jersey, that's half true. A lot of people are from New Jersey, but they are from all over the world.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class was international business. Students study alot, but they also have a lot of fun.

Georgetown's religious community is very strong. The guest speakers are amazing; Condi, Ron Paul and Howard Dean were all here last month.

A stereotype of Georgetown students is that they are all preppy, Catholic, and from New Jersey

Ed

Georgetown is an incredible school to attend. The classes are generally very good, the facilities are fine. The city is INCREDIBLE, and the university offers students many opportunities that you can't get anywhere else. No school rivals Georgetown in terms of the high-profile speaker who come to campus, and usually students get meaningful interaction with them beyond just sitting and listening to speeches. For those who seek them out, there are lots of ways to get involved in everything from Wall Street, to government work (the DoD and State Dept), to human rights work (STAND was founded here, and many students are involved in charity and development stuff), education (TFA is the largest undergraduate recruiter), entrepreneurship, undergraduate research, et cetera. I've had the time of my life at Georgetown. Far and away the best thing about it is its student body -- which is full of incredibly smart people. Although Georgetown's endowment is only Top 100 and it is only ranked Top 25, in terms of academic competitiveness it is Top 10. Georgetown's focus on the Jesuit "education of the whole person" and "cura personalis" creates students who care passionately about the rest of the world and make lifelong commitments to succeed in socially meaningful ways. After its student body, Georgetown's greatest asset is undoubtedly its location. Being in DC gives us access to everything from great speakers to great internships, to being in the sidelines in DC scandals, Hollywood filming, inaugurations, et cetera. The fact that we're the most prestigious school in DC also undoubtedly contributes to our ability to get an incredible student body.

Georgetown's greatest asset is its student body. Everyone is incredibly intelligent and well-spoken, and people have a very interesting array of experiences and insights. You have the normal diversity in types -- jockier types, more studious types, counterculture types -- but I would say it's incredibly hard to find "jocks", "nerds", or "hipster" kids. Everyone is able to relate to everyone else, even though there's a wide variety of preference in everything from musical taste, to dress, to extracurricular activities. I've never had a problem finding something in common with a student here, and I've been shocked time and again when I've sat down with someone who I expected to be a meathead and found a truly intelligent and thoughtful person. Or, on the other hand, sitting down with a very intellectual person and having great conversations about Hoyas bball or current events.

Like all stereotypes, there are seeds of truth. There are many well-off people who dress like preps, and there are many very intellectual people who are interested in international relations. But, far and away most people I've met at Georgetown have been really nice, very interesting, very intelligent, and not exclusive or clique-y. There is, of course, the normal distribution of douchebags and anti-social people, but there aren't many of them and far and away the student body is full of great and diverse people that have turned into terrific friends and excellent classmates.

As in most colleges, academics vary by major and school. I am both a Government and English major, and perhaps no two departments are more different. The Government department is huge, which means it is very competitive and diverse, but offers a very wide variety of courses, interests, and opportunities. There are more adjunct professors here, and until the higher levels classes are often bigger, with fewer professors probably knowing your name, though again this can be overcome easily with some student initiative to get to know professors. This is an incredible, awesome department, but not as cozy and it can be challenging to make your impact felt on the department and the professors. The English department is much smaller (though still not "small" compared to something like anthropology or sociology), you get to know all of your professors very well, and it's less about competition and more about taking just really interesting and engaging classes. Professors have generally been at Georgetown for a very long time and are less focused on weeding students out than on making sure every student learns something. I ended up adding English as a major because I found it such a good counterpoint to my experience in the Government department, where the tone was so different.

I didn't know of any stereotypes of Georgetown students before coming to Georgetown, but as soon as I got here I became aware of some stereotypes such as that Georgetown students are well-off preps or that they are international relations nerds. Because there is such a strong Catholic culture on campus, there are a lot of Irish and Itlaians on campus.

One thing I would change about Georgetown is the barriers between different schools (MSB, SFS etc.). You should be able to take all classes available, not just ones offered by your specific school. Georgetown is the perfect size. You see people you know when walking around with enough regularity to feel comfortable, but not too much that you feel you know everyone on campus. People tend to comment on how it is such a good school. Unless I am at home in Texas, because there is a Georgetown, Texas and they think I go to school there. College town in a way. M Street thrives off students. However, some issues between local neighbors in students due to noise levels and such. Biggest recent controversy - the new alcohol policy. LOTS of school pride, even more so now than in the recent past due to the success of the Georgetown basketball team Most frequent student complaints - the food on campus,the alcohol policy, problems with people incharge of housing and study abroad, feel slightly disconnected with administration (even deans)

Students who didn't want to ever do work and party all the time would feel out of place at Georgetown. Even those people who love to go out on the weekends, or weeknights, know when they have to buckle down and do work. Everybody wants to succeed. Students wear a variety of things to class. There are those that are trendy and dress up, others in their pajamas, then teh odd mix of sweatpants on bottom and polo shirt and pearls on top. Different types of students do interect. In the business school especially group projects are demanded in almost every class. It allows you to meet new people who you wouldn't ordinarily befriend. Lots of Georgetowners are from the North East. Most prevalent background is probably pretty well off, however that is not exclusive or flaunted. Many students are politically aware (government is one of the number 1 majors). Groups for the College Dems, and College Republicans, and everythign inbetween exist on campus and are extremely popular. Most students don't see a firm career path upon graduation, therefore people are talking about more what they are going to do with their lives rather than how much they will be making.

You can find those that represent every stereotype but they are by no means the majority. Lots of different niches of people are present on campus. Everyone has a place where they will feel comfortable.

Most professors get to know your names, unless of course its a very large intro class. Even then, if you make an effort to see them, they will usually make an effort to remember you. Students study on a varying degree. Work usually comes in cycles so there will be lulls, but when people need to get stuff done they do it. Class participation is common, and is often a part of your grade. Georgetown students have been known to have many an intellectual conversation over a keg... they don't just leave it in the classroom. Students are not really competitive. Everyone wants to do well, but is not as a result wanting others to do poorly. I haven't taken anything really unique, but my roommate too history of jazz. Wouldn't have seen that offered here.

Students in dorms don't leave their doors open, not because they do not want to be social, but because most of them slam shut immediatly. Atheltic events, mainly basketball (but also soccer and lacrosse) are extremely popular. Guest speakers are also wildly popular. Often offered on a first come first serve basis, you hope to get the email immediatly so you can RSVP, otherwise your chances of going are slim. This is due to the quality of speakers Georgetown is able to attract. Theater, not so much. My closest friends were all in my freshman dorm, or I studied abroad with them. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday its normally because I am working. I like to sleep. Traditions/events: Georgetown Day, Midnight Breakfast, Traditions Day, I'm sure there are more People often party on the weekends, some people start Thurs, but for the majority it is Friday/Saturday. Party is a relative term though, often people just hang out with their close friends and "party." No fraternities or sororities are recognized by Georgetown. Therefore, they are not a big deal. Last weekend was a three day weekend. I hung out with friends on friday, went to bed early Sat, went to a friends bday party on sunday. Watched baskedball games, slept, shopped, and did some homework inbetween. Saturday nights sometimes Georgetown hosts movie nights. You can down to M street and see a movie or go to dinner. You can go into DC, see the monuments at night. Or you can just hang out with other friends who don't want to drink either, play games and have probably an equally fun time, Off campus- M Street is packed with stores and restaurants and is just 10min away so a lot of Georgetown students frequent there. Georgetown is also locate in DC, and therefore all DC has to offer is a short trip away. National mall, monuments, museums.... are all things to do off campus.

Preppy, apparently according to the administration big on partying, highly political

Rebecca

Georgetown is a school of 6,000 undergraduates. Thanks to the four school structure (School of Foreign Service, Business School, Nursing School and the College), students get to know their peers who are in the same program. Walking across campus, I might recognize 10 out of 40 people I pass, and stop and talk to three. Often, when I tell people I go to Georgetown they are impressed with the name, and I find myself in a somewhat awkward conversation about the application process. Washington, D.C. is a great city, both for studying, with great resources such as the Library of Congress, and for culture, with the Smithsonian museums and the Kennedy Center. There are lots of fun neighborhoods with endless restaurants and bars, although as a student I don't eat out often. Three things I would change: 1) I would eliminate the requirement that freshmen and sophomores have a meal plan. We have one dining hall, Leo J. O'Donovan's, fondly dubbed "Leo's." Although the dining hall does not have bad food, it's not great, and the all-you-can-eat set up makes gaining the "freshman 15" an easy trap. In fact, almost all my friends did gain the freshman 15, on "Leo's chocolate chip cookies" and "fro-yo." I don't have a meal plan this year, and I don't miss it at all. I have a much healthier life style, and I save a lot of money! 2) It would be nice to have a closer grocery store. There is a student store on campus, run by "The Corp." They stock the basic necessities, like soda, chips, pasta, sandwiches and milk. The closest supermarket to campus is Dean and Deluca, a gourmet food shop on M Street. You might treat yourself to a sushi lunch out there, or a two dollar tomato if you're feeling fancy, but for daily food shopping, it's necessary to go father afield, either to Trader Jo's, Safeway or Whole Foods, each about twenty minute walks from campus. 3) I would make birth control available on Georgetown campus. Currently, it is impossible to buy any form of birth control on campus, including condoms and the day after pill-- and the student health services cannot prescribe it. This is supposedly because of Georgetown's status as a Jesuit institution. Students can get condoms from H*ya's For Choice (not allowed to use an "o" in "Hoya's" because of the group's controversy with the Jesuit heritage) or from CVS, a ten minute walk from campus. The biggest recent controversy on campus may have been violence directed at gay students. The administration has responded with new support for LGBT groups, numerous emails, etc.

I have addressed some of these questions in earlier prompts. Students dress nicely for class. Girls often wear high heels and fancy jewelery, and do their hair and make up. Boys also wear nice clothes, like polo shirts and khakis. There is a large body of international students at Georgetown as well, that tend to be fairly exclusive. They generally have more (even) more money than Georgetown students and take their studies less seriously, and so it sort of makes sense that they do their own thing. They go out to clubs in designer outfits and sit in the VIP lounge. They have fake IDs and go to Panama for Spring break. Students joke that most people at Georgetown are from New Jersey. There is a large contingent of students from New England, although California and the South are also well represented. Most students are quite well-off, but also financially responsible. Students are generally politically aware and politically active. Georgetown is a leading school in International Politics, and its location in Washington, D.C. also calls attention to these subjects. Students watch the debates, work on campaigns and play drinking games to the State of the Union address. Internet home pages are often set to the New York Times web site. For a college campus, Georgetown is quite conservative, although most of my friends are liberal and, although this was not true when I was a freshman at Georgetown, it is now commonly accepted that George W. Bush is not a good president (although still not accepted that he's all around bad). Students do not talk about how much money they earn in a day, or what grades they get. They are not secretive about this sort of information, but they are modest and socially graceful.

There are certainly students at Georgetown who conform to this stereotype. Students are very "pre-professional," looking towards their future careers with high aspirations. However, I find that most students are individually quite thoughtful. Although they may value wealth over ending world hunger, they generally have well-reasoned thoughts to back up their opinions. Students are certainly smart and well-informed. The student body is very attractive and well-groomed.

I came to Georgetown to study International Politics, and the school has certainly lived up to my expectations in this category. For Freshman and Sophomores, classes can be large. Introductory courses in economics, for example, have between 50 and 100 students. Even in these classes though, professors are generally accessible, holding weekly office hours. Larger classes also usually have discussion sections with a T.A. once a week. My T.A.s have all been quite knowledgeable and helpful, although occasionally I have heard stories about T.A.s who don't know their subject matter very well. In this case, I think a student should always feel comfortable going to their professor for help. Georgetown academics are very much what you make of them. Professors are willing to help and discuss subjects at great length if you as a student make the effort. It's hard for me to gage how much time students spend studying. My friends and I spend most of the days doing work, especially on the weekends-- but we do all our reading, and have generally reading-heavy courses. My boyfriend and his friends work hard during the week, and generally take the weekends off to go to basketball games or explore Washington. Students at Georgetown work hard for good grades, but aren't too competitive with one another. In general, students are willing to help each other, and even in courses with curved grades (such as the economics or government departments), students will form study groups before exams and help each other review. Education at Georgetown can be geared either towards getting a job or learning for its own sake. I think generally the social sciences and philosophy draw students who are very much interested in the subject matter and less concerned with future careers, while courses in government, business and science all tend to focus on future career. The Career Center at Georgetown reflects this, focusing largely on careers in law, consulting and banking. There are fewer resources for students who hope to go into public service or research.

I work at The Corp, which is the largest student run organization in the world. On campus, it has three coffee shops, a grocery store, a convenience store, and a video rental service. I have enjoyed working there since my freshman year. It was a good way to find a small community and make friends. On campus activities are fairly well attended, including sporting events (especially basketball), guest speakers and theater. There are interesting options every day of the week. Just last week I saw Condoleezza Rice speak, and have also listened to some very interesting talks by visiting faculty, Georgetown professors and other experts on topics ranging from social theory to terrorism to current international events. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday a free movie is shown on campus. The dating scene at Georgetown is bad. People often discuss a "hook-up culture." I was incredibly frustrated by this my first two years of school (as I think much of the female student population at Georgetown is). Students go to parties on Fridays and Saturdays, get drunk and go home with someone. This experience is repeated often, but almost always with a different person. Girls wonder why boys don't call them back, what's wrong with them, why they can't get a boyfriend. Boys, I think, figure they can hang out with their bros, drink beer and watch the basketball game, and then go to a party and get whatever else they want without strings attached. Why tie themselves to a girlfriend? There are no residential fraternities or sororities. There is a service frat (AEP) and a Jewish frat. They don't play a large role in campus social life, although I do think that the guys that participate in them are a little "sleezy." As a senior, my social life is incredibly different than it was my first two years. As an underclassman, I went out to on-campus parties with friends, usually a couple nights a week. I rarely knew the person who was throwing the party, but was invited by a friend of a friend of a friend. Parties usually had a keg of beer and cheap vodka. Often the campus police would come and break up parties. I also spent a lot of time hanging out with friends in dorm rooms, watching movies, telling stories, discussing classes and current events. As a senior, I have a lot of pot-lucks and dinner parties, go to parties that my friends are throwing, and make an effort to get into DC more, either to go to bars, restaurants or museums. I've been to the zoo a couple times, to some local farmer's markets and the Washington Mall a few times this year. Last night (Thursday) I went to a Spice Girls concert, and then to a bar with friends. Today I am doing homework and applying for jobs, and tonight I am going to a pot luck with the kids I work with (at the coffee shop) and my roommate is throwing a pot-luck/party at our apartment for a perspectives student who is visiting. This weekend I plan to spend studying. Last weekend I went to New York with my boyfriend.

Georgetown students are stereotyped as relatively conservative, preppy and attractive. The girls wear North Face fleeces, pearl necklaces, and pink ribbons tied around their blond ponytails. The boys wear Ralf Lauren Polo pastel colored polo shirts with popped collars and accompanying J.Crew "critter" decorated pants. They pregame morning basketball games with kegs and eggs, and pull all nighters in library cubicles. I went to see the Vagina Monologues a few weeks ago, and there is a scene called "The Moaner," and the actress performs all sorts of sexual moans, stereotyping different ethnicities, social classes, etc-- For the Georgetown Moan, she described "Jane Hoya" saying to "Joe Hoya," "Oh no, oh no! My pearls are caught on your multiple popped collars!" These Jane and Joe Hoya students want to be investment bankers and vacation on Cape Cod.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.