Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Melissa
Georgetown: where you can stay academically, socially, and politically involved

Georgetown: where you can stay academically, socially, and politically involved

First of all, the Georgetown campus has an amazing neighborhood. M Street is filled with shops, restaurants, bars, yoga places. There's even a waterfront where you can stroll through for a walk or watch a really intense crew meet. If you are a brunch-aholic, look no further than Georgetown. You can have any kind of brunch you want at Georgetown- from Mexican to Asian to classic American. At Georgetown, there are so many extracurriculars to choose from that you will always find a way to stay involved and busy. People tend to be politically active, but what can you expect? We go to school in DC. There are always really cool guest speakers that come to our campus-think Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, the pope, Obama.. You get the idea. Students tend to be very athletic and in shape. The dining services does an okay job to keep underclassmen students fed, but students tend to go off the meal plan or onto a very small meal plan in their upperclassmen years. We have a Trader Joe's and Safeway, so you're all set on getting good groceries here at Georgetown. I'd recommend Georgetown to anyone who wants an environment where you can stay academically, socially, and politically involved!

Good but should be better

Good but should be better

I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. And I only have quite literally one bone to pick and that's the price tag: Georgetown university is so expensive! I'm not just talking about the tuition: I mean the laundry ($1.50/wash, $1.50/dry), the printing, the meal plans (for Aramark food that is mediocre at best)...etc. and the maintenance/facilities crew is basically useless. But the social, academic, and athletic opportunities are endless. Hoya Saxa :)

dAVE

Awesome. Love it here, great people, great academic culture, very fast paced though be ready to move!

The positive stereotypes of students at Georgetown is that they are 1) intellectual, 2) very driven, and 3) good looking, which are all true. The negative stereotypes are that they are 1) arrogant and/or 2) secondary to ivy school students. I will say a lot of students know of their own intelligence and some are cocky. That comes with any elite education. However, I would say that while Georgetown kids are not Harvard/Yale type maybe, I know many, many that chose to come here over Penn or Cornell or some of the lesser ivies. They are incredibly driven and the School of Foreign Service here is the best international affairs school in the country.

Sports teams, unofficial fraternities, some social justice clubs as well

Tyler

The majority of my classmates are non-traditional students and have several years in the workforce which provides an interesting range of life experiences on which to base their education.

My advice would be twofold: 1) treat school like a job and 2) pursue a topic you are passionate about. Following the second bit of advice makes following the first much easier.

I wish I had known the types of classes my transfer credits would count towards; I did't receive my transfer evaluation until halfway through my first semester.

Avril

Georgetown fulfils its mission to educate students according to the Jesuit values of cura personalis and service to others.

Georgetown University is best known for their School of Foreign Service, well rounded liberal arts core curriculum, and Jesuit affiliations that promote service to others. In regards to the University’s focus on government, international relations and public policy, it is known to have high profile professors (Madeline Albright), speakers (President Barak Obama), and notable alumni (President Bill Clinton). The University has numerous events for students in Washington DC, like the Diplomat's ball. While Georgetown has nationally ranked women and men’s cross country teams, they are best known in sports for their men’s Basketball team.

If I could give my high school self advice for college, this is what I would say: Study what you are passionate about. Join clubs. Meet as many people as possible. Take classes that challenge you, not only ones that give easy As. Meet with your professors regularly. Get internships, it’s your way to a job after you graduate. Learn how to cite properly now. If you are going to gain the freshman 15, do so from eating the free ice cream in the cafeteria. Bring a memory foam to put on your dorm room bed. Speak up in discussion section, its good practice for the “real world.” Be a clean roommate. Date the nice boys, not the hot boys. Take more credits than necessary. Don’t post your entire life on Facebook. Join and create study groups. Learn what you have to read, and what you can skim. Start drinking coffee. Call your parents and grandparents regularly, they will appreciate it. Keep perspective and balance. Save money by sharing clothes with your girlfriends. Work hard. Sleep after you graduate.

Jordan

I would tell myself that college will be the best time of your life and Georgetown is exactly everything you are looking for in a college, so don't stress about choosing a college! Then, I would tell myself that although college will be incredibly fun, exciting, and educational it will be very hard. It will be so hard leaving all your friends and family behind, moving to the otherside of the country, and adjusting not only to a new living environment, but to a new educational environment. Yet, don't worry because there will be so many people around to help and support you. You are not alone! Finally, I would tell myself to seize every moment afforded to you and to not have any regrets at the end of four years.

I wish I would have truly understood that I would have to work infintely harder, study more, and alter how I approach schoolwork. In high school, school work and achieving high grades came easily and I assumed that the ease of education would continue once I was in college. Now, being in college for a year I know that it is nothing like high school and I do have to work much harder to achieve the same caliber of grades that I am accustomed. Knowing this knowledge beforehand would have saved me many sleepless nights and hours of stress.

Georgetown University is for the dedicated, adventurous, inquisitive, and determined. Georgetown offers what a student puts into their education and experience. Attending this institution can be the best four years if you take all the opportunities afforded to you.

Alyssa

A TON of Hoya spirit. One thing everyone has in common is an intense love of Georgetown. If you are a Debby Downer and hate on the school then you'll probably have some issues.

At first college life is really terrible. The orientation will seem like a cult-like brainwashing event, the arranged social gatherings become competitions to see how "cool" you are according to high school standards, and everyone will immediately form what will seem like unbreakable bonds with people they find any kind of common ground with. The upperclassmen will say how much they love college but you won't see it. This initial phase doesn't last. Eventually people stop panicking about having friends or creating that "college experience" and start acting like themselves. Get your feet on solid ground and resist the impulse to cling to certain people because you feel alone. Be a social butterfly, talk to everyone and don't write anyone off initially. Obviously you won't become best friends with everyone but you'll never meet your future best friends by only hanging out with people just because you come from the same state. Don't worry - in due time college will become amazing and you'll be the Senior, scaring the Freshman with your enthusiasm and being sad because you have to leave.

People are very competitive academically. This can be a good thing but its also a bad thing in terms of collaborating with students and the grades being weighted (i.e. even if you get a 93% in the class you might not get an "A" because there are too many students who did better than you).

Ana

The truth is, nothing can truly prepare us for the harsh and often cruel future. I could happily and carelessly hop into a time machine, accidentally teleport myself to when I was a senior in High School instead of my desired location in the Victorian Era; and take an evening to speak to my immature, needlessly troubled and carefree self. I would tell myself to learn to enjoy the little things during my last High School year, to cherish and treasure my beloved friends, to keep in touch with them no matter what, to spend more time with my family, for I would not be able to continue living in my cozy, tiny and warm house with them. I would remind myself that good things come to those who wait, to not stress so much over insignificant things, to remember that practice makes perfect and that the biggest mistake I could make was simply not allow myself to make mistakes! I would tell myself how strong I am, advice myself to smile more often, be more confident, take each class in college with a better attitude and always remain hardworking, determined and positive.

Alicia

Focus and don't worry so much about fitting in and experiencing the social life. In the grand scheme of things, true friends will hang around regardless of whether you go partying every weekend.

It's very diverse in nationalities but no really ethnicities.

If you're from a lower socioeconomic class, it is very easy to feel disadvantaged and as though you're somehow less than your peers.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.