Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Erika

Well, in High School I feel like I did the best that I can possibly do. I have always enjoyed attending school so I have always pushed myself to my full potential. If I were to go back in time to talk to myself, I would not change a thing. In High School I would always change my schedule and tell my counselor to put me in AP an Honor classes. Since I took AP courses, college seems fairly easy. The work I get in college is about the same amount of work that I use to get in High School. I felt like the transition was a piece of cake. The only main difference is that my friends are not with me every second of the day. I feel more focused in college and I appreciate the fact that I did not slack off in High School. My senior year was fun and I do not regret anyting about it. College life now is different but it's not someting that will push me back from my ultimate career goals. I actually feel more prepaired for any obstacle that comes my way.

Caitlin

My school is not only made up of some of the most educated people in the world, but is also a fun and welcoming environment. The students are not just booksmart, but are friendly and focused on serving other people than themselves. My school is unique due to the people who make up a community like no other at Georgetown University and how our school allows the students to become men and women for others.

My whole life has been filled with working towards getting into a good college so that I could find a good job and support my family. This is common to most people and is often considered part of the American dream. However, now that I am at a different stage of my life, enrolled in an amazing university, and I am reflecting on my life so far, I realize that besides all the hard work I put in, I was so focused on the future, that I was not able to enjoy the present as much as I could have when I was younger. This makes me sound old and it also makes me sound as though I wish I had goofed off more, but this is not the case. I mean to say that I wish I had stopped to smell the roses more often and enjoy the simple pleasures of being a child because they quickly slip away and sooner than expected the only focus in life is when the next student loan payment is due. I definitely would have told myself to focus more on my studies, read more, etc, but more importantly to enjoy life.

I truly love the sense of community at my school. I applied to many colleges and universities, but chose Georgetown because of the inviting people who were also diverse and could allow me to learn and develop as a whole person rather than simply academically. I appreciate the jesuit values of my school without forcing its students to be religious and the continued support from every staff and faculty member.

Saumik

Georgetown can be best described as a balancing act: the academics will push you to be your best in the classroom; the social scene will ensure that you make many friends, some that will last a lifetime; the sports will engulf you into a new and unique form of school spirit; and most importantly, Georgetown trains the politicians, doctors, lawyers, and businessmen of the next generation.

If I could go back, and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would stress to myself that life has more meaning to it that studying and exams. In high school, I neglected many socializing opportunities because of the competitive race to enter college. I would tell myself to take a step back from it all, and to really take in my experience as a high school senior. I have friends who really enjoyed themselves during senior year, and I wish I could say the same thing. I think that although "senioritis" is becoming a serious problem nationwide, academics should not be the only focus of high school. I found this in myself after beginning my freshman year at a Jesuit University. At Georgetown, I learned about "Cura Personalis" or "care of the whole person". There is more that makes a teenager than good grades. There are friends, family, and self. All of these aspects of life have to be balanced in order to live a fulfilling life, and I regret that it took me this long to begin understanding this. If I had understood this as a senior, I think I would have enjoyed high school more.

I believe the best aspect of Georgetown is the sense of community that exists at Georgetown. It is hard not to fit in when everyone is part of the Hoya family. This sense of kin that exists within undergraduates creates an environment that is fertile for both learning in classrooms and learning in real life. The social scene at Georgetown is one that will surely lead to great connections for future job opportunities as well. I believe that Georgetown successfully portrays a school that balances the pressures of academic work with the fun that every college student should experience.

Arienne

Georgetown University is best known for shaping scholars into dynamic leaders throughout the world. Georgetown Hoyas like former President Bill Clinton, journalist Maria Shriver, and actor Bradley Cooper come from myriad specialties and serve as vehicles of inspiration. In terms of studies, we are especially recognized for our programs in international relations. Regardless of field, every subject at Georgetown manifests the Jesuit notion of cura personalis, or “care for the entire person.” Through an emphasis on global leadership and social justice, we are known for our readiness to understand and serve the world using our different strengths and talents.

Find your comfort zone, and then leave it. In college you will encounter artists, mathematicians, philosophers, future presidents, and other scholars. You will meet and befriend students and professors representing different countries throughout the world community. You will collaborate with Republicans and Democrats, LGBT students, shy and outgoing individuals. As you will come across a broad range of fields, interests, and individuals for the next four years of your life, you should always remember to be open-minded. Every individual has a story and lessons to share, and you should be willing to listen, observe, and absorb. You will feel uncomfortable at times, but discomfort is part of the learning process and molds you into a critical thinker. Through exploring myriad perspectives and through even challenging your own ideas, you will learn how to juxtapose and integrate ideas from different fields into one cohesive understanding. For example, your future self has written essays on the upward social mobility of rappers Nicki Minaj and Tupac Shakur for a Sociology class. She has contacted and interviewed students from Asia for a presentation. Through escaping the threshold of your comfort zone, you will excel in school and, simultaneously, find enjoyment in your work.

Georgetown University is imbued with multicultural exchange and understanding. Our diverse community constantly empowers students to be open-minded and to even challenge their own viewpoints. An individual who is unwilling to accept and appreciate diversity, and to examine opposing perspectives would most likely have difficulty adjusting to such an environment. However, because Georgetown values every individual, there is not a “kind of person who shouldn’t attend this school.” All are welcome and encouraged to apply. A Georgetown University education will gradually shape the scholar to finding and then leaving and traveling beyond her or his comfort zone.

Brandy

It's hard to believe that I have been out of high school for 16 years, but boy do I have some advice for my high school self. First off, I'd grab myself by the shoulders and give them a good shaking to wake up. I'd tell myself to hit the books and make sure I was Valedictorian and nothing less. I would get into the University of my choice and focus on nothing else but being a 4.0 student and not let anyone or anything stop me. I have always had dreams of becoming a teacher and kept putting it off due to a teacher's income. That's no longer important. What's most important and the biggest advice I could give myself is to follow my heart and my dreams and realize that people have passions in life because it is what they are built for and now at 33, I know without a doubt my life destiny is to be a teacher. A good teacher, in which I will be, does not do it for the money, he or she does it for the intrinsic joy it brings to see a child learn.

Matthew

Most students are rather friendly, and will engage you readily, but will leave you alone if that is what you desire.

The first thing I'd tell my younger self is to do more extracurriculars and take more AP tests. The college credit from the exams dramatically decrease the amount of work you have to do in college. Specifically, the AP Statistics and Economics exams, as those two subjects can be easily taken care of. In the non-academic side of life, I'd inform my younger self that extracurriculars are where the real fun is had, and without them, life will be quite dull. The second piece of advice I'd give myself is on how to make the transition to college life easier, you should have the expectation that you will not do as well as you did in high school. At a university like GU, you are among those who are just as smart as, if not smarter than, you are. This changes the grade distribution, and will likely land you in the B range. You must also realize that college is a mountain of work, and that even making the average B will require much more effort than getting an A in high school.

The worst thing about GU is the overwhelmingly liberal political bent of the student body and administration, up to and including the University President. I say this because it stifles conservative opinion and real political debate, without which there can be no true understanding of public policy.

Jenny

Georgetown University students are passionate, caring, fun, and interesting.

Georgetown University students are passionate, caring, fun, and interesting.

One thing that is slightly frustrating about Georgetown is that there is only one dining hall and the food there is sometimes suspect and not the best-tasting food you've ever had. At the same time, having only one dining hall is beneficial because whenever I go there, I always see someone I know and can sit down with and eat.

Alyssa

A refreshing combination of cut-throat driven and super friendly and extroverted.

I would tell myself to not be afraid to learn something new. A new way of life, a new way to dress and a new way to learn were all things I had trouble coping with when I started at Georgetown. Focusing on superficial things such as differences in East Coast style and mannerisms really thwarted my ability to get to know the people and the culture on campus which is what makes Georgetown so amazing to attend. Holding on to past tendancies from California and looking for friends who reflected those values was such a mistake that really hindered my growth. I'm glad that I was able to overcome that and meet the best friends of my life, although it would have been great to meet them sooner.

That we have an excellent reputation, academics, class sizes, career services, opportunities and also a ton of fun.

Gretta

Don’t feel sorry for yourself because you’re not as well off as the rest of them; revel in the mere fact of being different. Tell them how your get into arguments with your mother while washing the dishes because she thinks that you’re wasting water, or how your father doesn't leave the house on weekends because gas is too expensive. Blast your soulful, harsh African music, wear bright, ostentatious colors, have your hair braided, and dance to the sounds of your homeland on the way to class. Take classes that will help you understand social cleavages, political and conomic developments; join clubs that will help you effect social change. Take on leadership positions, make a difference in a child’s life, and never forget just how fortunate you truly are. Stop thinking so much about yourself! Wake up in the morning and think: “How can I help someone today? What can I do at this world-renowned university that will not only serve me in the future, but also help me make a difference in the world?” Dream not just for you, but even more for those who will never see the gates of a university.

April

This is what I would say to my high school self. "Listen to me, April. College is definitely something you really need to work hard in. That means no fooling around, no more video games, no computer games, and no writing stories... Well you can still do that, but there's a little something called Time Management. Trust me, you're gonna need to learn that now. You're gonna have to use most of your time studying, and preparing for upcoming tests and projects. If you could get ahead of schedule, then you'll have some extra time for other stuff. Oh, and another thing: DO. NOT. PROCRASTINATE. It's gonna smack you in the face if you do that. "

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.