Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Avril

Georgetown fulfils its mission to educate students according to the Jesuit values of cura personalis and service to others.

Georgetown University is best known for their School of Foreign Service, well rounded liberal arts core curriculum, and Jesuit affiliations that promote service to others. In regards to the University’s focus on government, international relations and public policy, it is known to have high profile professors (Madeline Albright), speakers (President Barak Obama), and notable alumni (President Bill Clinton). The University has numerous events for students in Washington DC, like the Diplomat's ball. While Georgetown has nationally ranked women and men’s cross country teams, they are best known in sports for their men’s Basketball team.

If I could give my high school self advice for college, this is what I would say: Study what you are passionate about. Join clubs. Meet as many people as possible. Take classes that challenge you, not only ones that give easy As. Meet with your professors regularly. Get internships, it’s your way to a job after you graduate. Learn how to cite properly now. If you are going to gain the freshman 15, do so from eating the free ice cream in the cafeteria. Bring a memory foam to put on your dorm room bed. Speak up in discussion section, its good practice for the “real world.” Be a clean roommate. Date the nice boys, not the hot boys. Take more credits than necessary. Don’t post your entire life on Facebook. Join and create study groups. Learn what you have to read, and what you can skim. Start drinking coffee. Call your parents and grandparents regularly, they will appreciate it. Keep perspective and balance. Save money by sharing clothes with your girlfriends. Work hard. Sleep after you graduate.

Jordan

I would tell myself that college will be the best time of your life and Georgetown is exactly everything you are looking for in a college, so don't stress about choosing a college! Then, I would tell myself that although college will be incredibly fun, exciting, and educational it will be very hard. It will be so hard leaving all your friends and family behind, moving to the otherside of the country, and adjusting not only to a new living environment, but to a new educational environment. Yet, don't worry because there will be so many people around to help and support you. You are not alone! Finally, I would tell myself to seize every moment afforded to you and to not have any regrets at the end of four years.

I wish I would have truly understood that I would have to work infintely harder, study more, and alter how I approach schoolwork. In high school, school work and achieving high grades came easily and I assumed that the ease of education would continue once I was in college. Now, being in college for a year I know that it is nothing like high school and I do have to work much harder to achieve the same caliber of grades that I am accustomed. Knowing this knowledge beforehand would have saved me many sleepless nights and hours of stress.

Georgetown University is for the dedicated, adventurous, inquisitive, and determined. Georgetown offers what a student puts into their education and experience. Attending this institution can be the best four years if you take all the opportunities afforded to you.

Alyssa

A TON of Hoya spirit. One thing everyone has in common is an intense love of Georgetown. If you are a Debby Downer and hate on the school then you'll probably have some issues.

At first college life is really terrible. The orientation will seem like a cult-like brainwashing event, the arranged social gatherings become competitions to see how "cool" you are according to high school standards, and everyone will immediately form what will seem like unbreakable bonds with people they find any kind of common ground with. The upperclassmen will say how much they love college but you won't see it. This initial phase doesn't last. Eventually people stop panicking about having friends or creating that "college experience" and start acting like themselves. Get your feet on solid ground and resist the impulse to cling to certain people because you feel alone. Be a social butterfly, talk to everyone and don't write anyone off initially. Obviously you won't become best friends with everyone but you'll never meet your future best friends by only hanging out with people just because you come from the same state. Don't worry - in due time college will become amazing and you'll be the Senior, scaring the Freshman with your enthusiasm and being sad because you have to leave.

People are very competitive academically. This can be a good thing but its also a bad thing in terms of collaborating with students and the grades being weighted (i.e. even if you get a 93% in the class you might not get an "A" because there are too many students who did better than you).

Ana

The truth is, nothing can truly prepare us for the harsh and often cruel future. I could happily and carelessly hop into a time machine, accidentally teleport myself to when I was a senior in High School instead of my desired location in the Victorian Era; and take an evening to speak to my immature, needlessly troubled and carefree self. I would tell myself to learn to enjoy the little things during my last High School year, to cherish and treasure my beloved friends, to keep in touch with them no matter what, to spend more time with my family, for I would not be able to continue living in my cozy, tiny and warm house with them. I would remind myself that good things come to those who wait, to not stress so much over insignificant things, to remember that practice makes perfect and that the biggest mistake I could make was simply not allow myself to make mistakes! I would tell myself how strong I am, advice myself to smile more often, be more confident, take each class in college with a better attitude and always remain hardworking, determined and positive.

Alicia

Focus and don't worry so much about fitting in and experiencing the social life. In the grand scheme of things, true friends will hang around regardless of whether you go partying every weekend.

It's very diverse in nationalities but no really ethnicities.

If you're from a lower socioeconomic class, it is very easy to feel disadvantaged and as though you're somehow less than your peers.

Erika

Well, in High School I feel like I did the best that I can possibly do. I have always enjoyed attending school so I have always pushed myself to my full potential. If I were to go back in time to talk to myself, I would not change a thing. In High School I would always change my schedule and tell my counselor to put me in AP an Honor classes. Since I took AP courses, college seems fairly easy. The work I get in college is about the same amount of work that I use to get in High School. I felt like the transition was a piece of cake. The only main difference is that my friends are not with me every second of the day. I feel more focused in college and I appreciate the fact that I did not slack off in High School. My senior year was fun and I do not regret anyting about it. College life now is different but it's not someting that will push me back from my ultimate career goals. I actually feel more prepaired for any obstacle that comes my way.

Caitlin

My school is not only made up of some of the most educated people in the world, but is also a fun and welcoming environment. The students are not just booksmart, but are friendly and focused on serving other people than themselves. My school is unique due to the people who make up a community like no other at Georgetown University and how our school allows the students to become men and women for others.

My whole life has been filled with working towards getting into a good college so that I could find a good job and support my family. This is common to most people and is often considered part of the American dream. However, now that I am at a different stage of my life, enrolled in an amazing university, and I am reflecting on my life so far, I realize that besides all the hard work I put in, I was so focused on the future, that I was not able to enjoy the present as much as I could have when I was younger. This makes me sound old and it also makes me sound as though I wish I had goofed off more, but this is not the case. I mean to say that I wish I had stopped to smell the roses more often and enjoy the simple pleasures of being a child because they quickly slip away and sooner than expected the only focus in life is when the next student loan payment is due. I definitely would have told myself to focus more on my studies, read more, etc, but more importantly to enjoy life.

I truly love the sense of community at my school. I applied to many colleges and universities, but chose Georgetown because of the inviting people who were also diverse and could allow me to learn and develop as a whole person rather than simply academically. I appreciate the jesuit values of my school without forcing its students to be religious and the continued support from every staff and faculty member.

Saumik

Georgetown can be best described as a balancing act: the academics will push you to be your best in the classroom; the social scene will ensure that you make many friends, some that will last a lifetime; the sports will engulf you into a new and unique form of school spirit; and most importantly, Georgetown trains the politicians, doctors, lawyers, and businessmen of the next generation.

If I could go back, and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would stress to myself that life has more meaning to it that studying and exams. In high school, I neglected many socializing opportunities because of the competitive race to enter college. I would tell myself to take a step back from it all, and to really take in my experience as a high school senior. I have friends who really enjoyed themselves during senior year, and I wish I could say the same thing. I think that although "senioritis" is becoming a serious problem nationwide, academics should not be the only focus of high school. I found this in myself after beginning my freshman year at a Jesuit University. At Georgetown, I learned about "Cura Personalis" or "care of the whole person". There is more that makes a teenager than good grades. There are friends, family, and self. All of these aspects of life have to be balanced in order to live a fulfilling life, and I regret that it took me this long to begin understanding this. If I had understood this as a senior, I think I would have enjoyed high school more.

I believe the best aspect of Georgetown is the sense of community that exists at Georgetown. It is hard not to fit in when everyone is part of the Hoya family. This sense of kin that exists within undergraduates creates an environment that is fertile for both learning in classrooms and learning in real life. The social scene at Georgetown is one that will surely lead to great connections for future job opportunities as well. I believe that Georgetown successfully portrays a school that balances the pressures of academic work with the fun that every college student should experience.

Arienne

Georgetown University is best known for shaping scholars into dynamic leaders throughout the world. Georgetown Hoyas like former President Bill Clinton, journalist Maria Shriver, and actor Bradley Cooper come from myriad specialties and serve as vehicles of inspiration. In terms of studies, we are especially recognized for our programs in international relations. Regardless of field, every subject at Georgetown manifests the Jesuit notion of cura personalis, or “care for the entire person.” Through an emphasis on global leadership and social justice, we are known for our readiness to understand and serve the world using our different strengths and talents.

Find your comfort zone, and then leave it. In college you will encounter artists, mathematicians, philosophers, future presidents, and other scholars. You will meet and befriend students and professors representing different countries throughout the world community. You will collaborate with Republicans and Democrats, LGBT students, shy and outgoing individuals. As you will come across a broad range of fields, interests, and individuals for the next four years of your life, you should always remember to be open-minded. Every individual has a story and lessons to share, and you should be willing to listen, observe, and absorb. You will feel uncomfortable at times, but discomfort is part of the learning process and molds you into a critical thinker. Through exploring myriad perspectives and through even challenging your own ideas, you will learn how to juxtapose and integrate ideas from different fields into one cohesive understanding. For example, your future self has written essays on the upward social mobility of rappers Nicki Minaj and Tupac Shakur for a Sociology class. She has contacted and interviewed students from Asia for a presentation. Through escaping the threshold of your comfort zone, you will excel in school and, simultaneously, find enjoyment in your work.

Georgetown University is imbued with multicultural exchange and understanding. Our diverse community constantly empowers students to be open-minded and to even challenge their own viewpoints. An individual who is unwilling to accept and appreciate diversity, and to examine opposing perspectives would most likely have difficulty adjusting to such an environment. However, because Georgetown values every individual, there is not a “kind of person who shouldn’t attend this school.” All are welcome and encouraged to apply. A Georgetown University education will gradually shape the scholar to finding and then leaving and traveling beyond her or his comfort zone.

Brandy

It's hard to believe that I have been out of high school for 16 years, but boy do I have some advice for my high school self. First off, I'd grab myself by the shoulders and give them a good shaking to wake up. I'd tell myself to hit the books and make sure I was Valedictorian and nothing less. I would get into the University of my choice and focus on nothing else but being a 4.0 student and not let anyone or anything stop me. I have always had dreams of becoming a teacher and kept putting it off due to a teacher's income. That's no longer important. What's most important and the biggest advice I could give myself is to follow my heart and my dreams and realize that people have passions in life because it is what they are built for and now at 33, I know without a doubt my life destiny is to be a teacher. A good teacher, in which I will be, does not do it for the money, he or she does it for the intrinsic joy it brings to see a child learn.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.