Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Tiffiny

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would tell myself to finish college with the scholarship I recieved and not join the army. Altough the US Army taught me many things it has not helped me in the work force. The only thing that will help in the work force is a college education.

Georgetown is a diverse, invigorating and friendly school, in which DC is our playground.

You are making the big leap to college. Do not worry about failing your classes, that is basically impossible. Instead, focus on skills you are going to want in college. After all, Mom has a wealth of knowledge on sewing, cooking, and medicine. Dad knows about finance and law. While you might rather be out getting a tan, which is actually going to be a burn, learn something an adult should know. At first, the cafeteria seem like a gift from God, unlimited pizza and ice cream, after a while you will find yourself craving something else. With a kitchen in your common room, you could make Asian flank steak from Mom's recipe. I know that you already know how to make cookies, brownies and the like, but extend that knowledge to actual meals. Maybe also have her teach you how to hem a skirt, she is a seamstress. I understand that Dad esentially filled out the FAFSA, but you really need to gain some understanding about finance. Soon you are going to be renting an apartment and paying taxes, learn a few things from your lawyer Dade. Essentially, don't waste your last summer at home.

The best thing about Georgetown is the feeling of pride. Everyone on campus loves the school. Students are driven to succeed in the classroom, but they are willing to help each other. We are Hoyas, and that is felt everywhere.

Francesca

The Georgetown only helps in terms of jobs and internships because of its reputation. The location is great because it provides so many opportunities no matter what a student is interested in. I do wish that they had a Chicano/Hispanic Studies Major and had a diversity requirement for students along with the other core requirements. It's a shame how ignorant some students really are when they arrive at Georgetown. I do not necessarily blame them but I do think that for a school who prides itself on diversity, they should make it a requirement. Students are very goal driven. Students join every organization possible, volunteer all the time, and intern/ work almost every semester on top of taking a full course load (5 or more classes) to add as much as they can to their resume rather than just because they want or love to. People are so stressed, it's scary sometimes. Georgetown definitely does seem to have a larger workload than other prestigious universities which I believe contributes to the stress on campus. I think there is school pride around basketball season but it seems like the alumni have much more school pride than the undergrads. Some students are also bitter about not getting into their first choice ivy so they show more pride for certain ivies than they do for gtown. I think georgetown should also update some of their facilities. For how well some of the sports teams do, they certainly do not have great athletic facilities. The students also complain about the dining hall but I think it's dumb because they are just being ungrateful spoiled people who do not appreciate how hard the people at the dining hall work to please the student body.

Anything that looks good on a resume or has the best parties.

Professors are a hit or miss. Either they are good or bad. You can definitely find a professor who has written 248572938572 books or journals on a particular subject and have 9875697 degrees from different prestigious schools but talks more to hear themselves talk, brags more to build up their ego, or has to be right at all times and doesn't do well at actually teaching. Certain departments are great! I love the sociology department, the theology/ catholic studies department, the theater department, the art department, and multiple others because I have had the best experiences with them. Georgetown has the reputation for being difficult which is completely true. Certain classes only give out X amount of As per semester making them extremely competitive. Overall, georgetown definitely is known for grade deflation which makes a B- extremely depressing but in comparison to some other schools it may be the equivalent of a B+ or A-. Students are always having intellectual conversations outside of class. You can be at a crazy party at one of the townhouses and sit with a group of people discussing the most recent republican debates while being "slightly" intoxicated. Students are always studying/ working, partying, or working out. Studies are almost everybody's main focus.

The stereotype is that georgetown is filled with a ton of rich white kids from the east coast. It is also believed that the students are stuck up, high maintenance, or snobby. Both stereotypes are true to an extent. Seeing as how over half of the students are white and half of all students are not on any financial aid (meaning their families are paying $60,000 a year), the stereotype is mostly true. However, I have definitely met students of all races that are completely down to earth despite their families wealth. Diverse is not something Georgetown is though.

Kate

Georgetown is undeniably a lot of work. Students study a lot, but the majority of people find a good balance between school, a social life, and extracurriculars. Georgetown is a liberal arts institution, so there are certain course requirements that all students have to take--such as theology, philosophy/ethics, history, english, and science/math--but there's a large variety of choice within each department. Class size depends on your major field, but they tend to be on the smaller side. In my experience, professors emphasize learning for its own sake, but usually connect the material to the "real world." I'm an English major with minors in Theology and French, so I've been lucky to have small classes. Professors usually know your name and are more than willing to help in office hours--but it is up to you to take the initiative.

Georgetown students are overachievers in almost everything they do. It's unusual not to be involved in a couple of groups on campus or to have an internship. Sometimes, this can be intimidating and it may seem that every one has their life planned out from point A to point B. However, you would be surprised by how many students change their majors or transfer schools (there are four that make up Georgetown undergrad).

Georgetown students are often stereotyped as preppy, wealthy, private school kids. While "Joe Hoya" and "Jane Hoya" certainly exist on the campus, the diversity of the student body surpasses the stereotype. I would not go so far as to say that Georgetown's recent ranking on the "most hipster colleges" list is accurate, but I am confident in saying that every Georgetown student has a story and talent to offer. I am constantly inspired and pleasantly surprised by the intelligence, achievements, and passions of my fellow students. People also tend to be open-minded about discussing their ideas and opinions with those who disagree with them.

Marina

Georgetown is best known for its academic reputation and career placement. The School of Foreign Service is particularly noteworthy and often places students in politics, government, and international organizations.

Thanks to my wonderful but often overachieving teachers, I have been preparing for the next step in my life since 5th grade. 5th grade prepared us for middle school, middle school prepared us for high school, and high school prepared us for college. Having experienced a year of college, I realize I was, perhaps, over prepared. While this made the transition fairly painless, the stress of working to pay off student loans makes me miss the days when unlimited extracurriculars consumed the majority of my time. Yet, I feel that I didn’t appreciate them at the time. “Present me” would tell “high-school-senior-me” to value my activities for the reasons they became a part of my life, not as prerequisites for the greater goal of college. When I started playing the cello or tutoring children it was not out of obligation to fill up an application, but because that’s what I loved to do. Perhaps if I had that attitude senior year, I would be able to look back on my high school career and see it as more than just a transient stepping stone towards what I assumed would be a more fulfilling college life.

Georgetown's reputation combined with its location in Washington DC affords it many unparalleled opportunities. We have amazing guest speakers - famous politicians as well as experts in every academic field, tons of free museums, amazing internship opportunities, etc.

Katherine

They are all intelligent and motivated.

They are all intelligent and motivated.

I would tell myself not to worry so much about choosing the one right school. There are plenty of schools that you can be happy and do well at.

The dining hall closes the upstairs on the weekend.

Mimi

The professors in my classes know my name by the second week of classes. I'm fortunate in that, as an English major and as a student who continues to pursue liberal arts, I get the advantage of having more intimate relationships with professors due to smaller class sizes, less lecture-style teaching methods, and professors that I continue to take again, after a class has completed. My favorite class, for these reasons, would have to be my Italian language course; I have only had two different professors over the course of five semesters. I have, therefore, fantastic relationships with these two professors, and I feel comfortable coming to them about anything. This has allowed me to seek mentorship within my professors and to establish deeper, stronger bonds with them - both based on academic and personal levels. In other classes, however, where there are more students in a larger lecture hall with one professor and about six T.A.'s, I feel that students a) miss out on the opportunity to have a strong, fulfilling relationship with such a strong, knowledgeable mentor, but they also tend to become more competitive and treat classes less personally; they don't get to know one another as peers or as friends, and many students also take the larger lectures as opportunities to zone out, a bit - and get away with it. I must say, however, that regardless of what you study at Georgetown University, it is ultimately up to you how you walk out at graduation; YOU are the one who should take initiative to form relationships with peers and instructors alike, and YOU are the one who must now apply what you have learned to the real world. In most cases of graduated Hoyas, I believe that our education - regardless of the teaching style or of the major - has led us to great success in the workforce.

There are definitely stereotypes about the typical Georgetown Hoya. Initially, I know that I, too, had a specific image in mind when I thought about the Georgetown campus; I pictured preppy, somewhat snooty kids walking around talking about either basketball or politics in polo shirts and riding boots. This for sure detracted a fair amount from my interests in Georgetown. However, I believe that this kind of preppy stereotype expectation exists almost everywhere in the northeast. The biggest piece of advice that I would give to any high school junior or senior debating where they want to spend the next four years is this: don't judge a school based on rumors or based on a few individuals you may see while visiting. College is a fantastic place because it is home to the presence of infinite types of individuals with unending interests, backgrounds, personalities, and talents to offer. Stereotypes pretty much cease to exist once you get here. You bond and connect with the people who fit you and what you're looking for in friendships. And you branch out to others who may NOT be your 'type,' too. Georgetown is especially amazing for having those opportunities to extend friendships in every which way; the clubs, organizations, classes, majors, dining and housing facilities all allow it so you're constantly seeing familiar faces or coming across new ones that you want to become familiar. So yes, while maybe this 'preppy' stereotype exists at Georgetown initially. But you have to understand that stereotypes are just impressions, judgements that are assumed by what you see on the surface. At Georgetown, kids are coming from all over the world to be in D.C. and to have access to the great opportunities that the nation's capital offers. For this reason especially, the diversity is incomparable. The languages you hear on camps vary daily. The dress styles, student performances, and organizations are all a testament to the vast heterogeneity that exists on campus. Yet the Hoya pride unites everyone still, maintaining student cohesion and a bright, vibrant community that is ultimately without stereotypes, at all.

Milana

Most people think Georgetown students are conservative, polo wearing, trust fund babies. While that description does fit certain past and present Hoyas, at Georgetown you can find some of the most diverse, free thinking, and passionate individuals. While we are a Catholic University diversity and inter- religious understanding are among some of the most promoted ideals on campus and while they are not excepted by everyone, they are undoubtedly important to our school's identity. Georgetown attracts different people from all over the world not just the country and that kind of variance is what makes our campus vibrant.

James

Georgetown is wonderful in a lot of ways. As a relatively small, private university, it can offer its students personalized attention and services that may be hard to find in a larger university. These include personal relationships with faculty members, small class sizes, career-education services, counseling and other support groups geared to individualized concerns, etc. Georgetown students also benefit tremendously from the campus location in Washington, DC. The actual town of Georgetown offers a smaller, more manageable space for students within the larger urban context. The town of Georgetown comes to feel like an extended campus and students find themselves right at home outside the campus gates. Additionally, Georgetown's close proximity to Capital Hill and the White House not only offers fantastic career opportunities, which many students take advantage of, but also brings influential speakers to campus (the list includes President Obama, Hillary Clinton, and fellow Hoya Bradley Cooper). Student complaints about Georgetown typically critique the social dynamics on campus. There is a small greek presence, but these fraternities and sororities are not recognized by the University and can easily be ignored if one so chooses. Consequently, Georgetown relies a lot upon other student groups to organize social interactions. One such group is The Corp, an entirely student-run organization (the largest in the nation) that operates many food and service businesses on campus. Some students feel animosity toward The Corp, typically describing it as exclusive and all-consuming of its members (it has even been referred to as "The Cult"). The Corp is, however, the largest student group on campus and "Corpies" typically love their experience. Another major social critique here at Georgetown is of the dominant "hook-up culture". Serious relationships are not common and an invitation to go on the stereotypical dinner-date is very rare and taken seriously. The norm is rather the casual hook-up, something people usually tire of by junior year. This notion of the "hook-up culture" is so prevalent that not only does every student know the term, but so do many professors. Georgetown, obviously, is not perfect, but does offer both strong academics and a strong social scene. Each person's experience is a little different, but all the students I know are proud to be Hoyas.

At Georgetown the motto "work hard, play hard" certainly rings true. The students here are dedicated to their studies, and passionate about their chosen majors/fields of study. Classroom discussion will often continue outside of class, and I am continually impressed by the intellectual debates that take place in social spaces (parties and bars included). An all-nighter in the library is not uncommon, and most of us have watched the sunrise more than once. The University, however, typically shows the same commitment towards its students that they themselves give to their studies. Georgetown's relative small size allows it to offer small class sizes and brilliant, accomplished professors. Granted, not every class is a slam-dunk, and not every lecture will especially "intellectually stimulating", but in general the professors here are dedicated to their students. I have personally had dinner at a professor's house on more than one occasion. I've even had my dean over for cookies and hot chocolate! Like at any university, academics will be what you make it at Georgetown, but you can't resist being impressed (and inspired) by the focused and high-achieving students that you will find yourself surrounded by.

At Georgetown, there exists this notion of a "Jack and Jane Hoya". This image of a stereotypical Georgetown student typically includes past education at an elite prep school, Northeastern roots, and a general affinity for all things salmon-colored or whale-embroidered. Even upon visting Georgetown's campus, it might appear that most students slip easily into this prep stereotype, strolling around sporting Ralph Lauren polos while typing away on their Blackberries. Once one actually becomes a student at Georgetown, however, this stereotypical veneer typically melts away, revealing that while Jack and Jane Hoyas do exist at Georgetown, so do many other varieties of Hoyas. Georgetown gets a reputation for having a largely white, affluent student body, but this narrow definition hardly reflects reality. In fact, some of the most active groups on campus are also the most culturally and religiously diverse.

Ciara
What's the dating scene like?

What's the dating scene like?

The dating scene on campus is almost nonexistent for freshman and sophomores; everyone is too focused on internships, grades, and other résumé builders to focus on relationships or dating outside of hookups. That being said, there is a statistic floating around that upwards of 75% of Georgetown students marry other Hoyas - so people eventually find love and bond over their shared college experience!

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.