Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Bonnie

I feel like I should start by saying I LOVE Georgetown. I love everything about my school (though the winters may be a little rough for a Texas native like me). The classes are taught by some of the brightest and most accomplished professors in the field. Despite the many accolades our professors often have, they are usually very accessible and always willing to help. CMEA (the Center for Multicultural Equity and Access) have immensely helped my transition from a very poor public school to an elite university. The support system (along with our basketball team) is amazing. Despite all of these things, the best part is by far the people. Georgetown is the perfect size campus. Large enough so you don't know everybody, but small enough so you always recognize a familiar face. There is a community for everyone. Aside from the actual campus, D.C. is an amazing college town. In Texas, I used to go for runs near cotton fields, but here I go for runs by the white house and the monuments. Basketball (both men's and women's) is huge on campus. My most memorable Georgetown experience involved trekking through a blizzard (more affectionately known as Snowpocalyse or Snowmaggedon) to watch Georgetown beat Duke. The blizzard shut down the streets of D.C., so on the way back from the game, hundreds of the Georgetown faithful crossed Key Bridge while singing the fight song.

The academics at Georgetown are obviously top-notch, though I think something that separates us from most elite universities is accessibility of our professors. All of my professors have known my name and most know my personal interests and background. Professors often invite students to lunch or even over to their house for dinner. I've have very little courses at Georgetown that I didn't love. The courses I have taken are fascinating. Though I'm an English major, my English courses are not the stereotypical Dickens and Faulkner (though we have those too!). Some of my major courses are titled: Human Trafficking, Narratives of Violence, Cultural Constructions of Motherhood and Ghost Stories just to name a few. We also have classes like Philosophy of Star Trek for all you trekkies reading this. There are no shortage of interesting classes to take at Georgetown. Being a Jesuit liberal arts university, all students are required to take 2 philosophy, 2 theology, 2 history, 2 social science, 2 math/science, 2 humanities and up to advanced level in a foreign language. While the core requirements are sometimes frustrating (I'm looking at you history requirement) there are generally so many classes offered that people generally enjoy the variety. Another option to get those pesky requirements out of the way is during study abroad. A large, large majority (emphasis on the large) study abroad. As a matter of fact, I am writing this review from Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Georgetown has great study abroad programs on all 6 major continents, and...financial aid covers them all if you qualify. All in all, academics at Georgetown rock. While finals and midterms are never fun, students generally like going to class and learning from the proffessors...generally.

Georgetown University is known for having the typical Jack and Jane Hoya. Jack Hoya wears his collar popped and is probably from New Jersey. Jane Hoya wears the latest fashions and both come from really wealthy families. While that is the general stereotype for Georgetown students, I find it to be unrepresentative of the students. Sure, there are plenty who fit that stereotype, but the thing I love most about Georgetown is that there is a place for everybody, and largely everyone is accepted into the Georgetown Community. That's not to say, Georgetown doesn't face the same issues that every other school faces, but I've always found it to be a place full of supportive people. A stereotype that is reflective of Georgetown is that students work hard and party hard. While definitely not a cut-throat environment, there is a pressure to do well at everything. A majority of the students study hard, hit the gym regularly, are involved in tons of organizations, and still find time to cheer on their Hoyas at basketball games. For those who don't fit that mold, it can be a little overwhelming at times, but totally worth it.

Erika

Georgetown University is a truly unique university. It offers something for everyone...and if what you're passtionate about is not found on campus, you can simply start a group or event yourself! The size of the school is idea.. not too big and not too small... just enough that you can get to know your classmates and professors on a first-name basis and there is no overcrowding. Georgetown does have plenty of school pride. I believe this originates from the uniqueness of the school. The university is located in the heart of Washington, DC on the shores of the Potomac River. It offers students the opportunity to become a part of the greater DC area, which exposes them to internships, alumni, netowrking events, etc. It also is historically a Catholic university. While all religions are represented on campus and students can be as involved or uninvolved with the religious aspects of Georgetown as they please, I believe the underlying goals and message of the university stem from the Jesuit heritage, including encouraging service to others and educating the entire person. One experience I will always remember is surviving Snowmageddon after the winter snowstorm of 2010. Classes were cancelled for 4 days, but everyone turned out to the basketball game! Hoya Saxa!

Georgetown University is a very big basketball university! Students are not as interested in football, but always attend the basketball games. Most students on campus are very active in athletics of some form or another. If they are not members of a formal team, they work out regularly and stay healthy and fit. Students are also involved in at least 1 club or group on campus. With other 200 to choose from, there's bound to be something to interest you.

The students at Georgetown University come from a variety of backgrounds. Most of the students hail from the northeastern United States, but all states are represented as well as several foreign countries. Additionally, students on campus are of all different races, cultures, religious backgrounds, and socioeconomic groups. There is a place for everyone, and one can always find someone else or a group of students with which to identify.

Most of my professors knew me on a first-name basis; however, some times it was difficult to get to know the professors in some of the larger classes. Academics are challening, but also stimulating and thought-provoking, and student participation in class facilitates learning. Professors are always willing to help students outside of class. The university requires Philsophy and Theology courses, but I believe these topics only help to fully round the students by encouraging them to take courses that may lie outside the comfort zone.

A common stereotype at Georgetown is that everyone attending wants to run for President someday! While many of the students attending have an interest in politics, Georgetown has a place for everyone with every interest. With over 200 student organizations and events around campus, it's easy to find students who are just like you and who share the willingness to succeed.

The stereotypical Georgetowner rocks J. Crew and Sperrys...regardless of gender. With this said though, it's important to reiterate that this is a stereotype! Of course these Georgetown poster children wonder the front quad, but among them you see artistic hipsters, international divas and divos, bookworms and everything in between. The stereotype of a conservative preppy Georgetown student was something I was concerned about before coming here, but it has not held true for me. Another stereotype that dominates is a workaholic student body. While I admittedly do fall into this unfortunate category, it's refreshing that not everybody does. A common phrase here is "that's so Georgetown". In lay man terms, this means "that's so driven, impressive, and a little bit insane". Put in context, white boys standing in the back of a party speaking Intensive Advanced Arabic to each other...that's so Georgetown. Most people do work hard, but not everybody is to the point of no-sleep excess like the stereotype hints. There are some who do nothing but relax and enjoy the ride, while there are others that look like raccoons from too many late nights in Lau. With this said though, I am so pleased with the range of personalities and interests that I have encountered in the Georgetown student body. My advice is do not let stereotypes fool or dissuade you because they are often do not apply to the entire population...at least that's the nice case here.

Heather

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be prepared for the adjustment that takes place the first two weeks or the first month of college. I'd tell myself that it'd be hard to make friends, to get used to living away from home, and to adjust to the new campus but not to give up because no matter how you felt that day, in a couple weeks it'll be just fine. You will find friends, you will find your "niche" at school and it'll all work out. I'd also tell myself to balance my academics with athletics and extracurricular activities. Other than that, enjoy college!

Academics, Athletics, Campus life are all awesome

Victoria

To my high school self, Do not be afraid. I know you’re scared of meeting new people. Since Georgetown is a private school, many of the people don’t know each other so everyone’s in the same boat. I know most of your friends went to University of Maryland and that you wish you had chosen to go there too. Think about it this way. You now have the chance to create a new life for yourself. As the weeks progress, life gets better. You will make new friends and you will meet new boys that are infinitely times better than your ex. Your roommate is the exact opposite of you but that’s why you guys get along. You will get annoyed at her and vice versa, but, in the end, you both love each other. Classes are hard but you shouldn’t be as stressed as you are right now. Go to class, do your homework, study, and reach out to your professors. Other than that, you should enjoy life. DC is a great place to explore and your college life will be the best four years of your life. Good luck, Your college self

I think everyone should be able to attend Georgetown. It's really diverse.

Do something! If you want to actually get somewhere in your lifetime, you need to get off the couch, and start working for what you want. You want to go to college? You need to get accepted. You want to get accepted? You need to prove yourself to the school. Do your best! Don't just get stuff done just to say you did; do the best you can do.

Dear Jessica, My name is also Jessica and I am you in the future. As strange as this may be to understand I hope you will trust me and take my advice. I know as a high school senior you are terrified of what you feel may be the most important transition in your life. I would like to counsel you in order to help make the change easier for you. First off, relax. Do not over analyze everything and panic over the small things. You are worried about choosing the right school right? Well, visit the campuses of the universities you are interested in. Once you explore your decisions you will find the school that is right for you. The most important thing to do is apply for scholarships! I can not emphasize this enough! As you may suspect, college is not inexpensive. Costs really add up: tuition, books, housing, transportation, and personal expenses. Please apply for every scholarship you are eligible for! There are thousands of scholarships available and NO excuses! You and your bank account will thank me for this in the future. Everything will be fine, I promise. Sincerely, Your future

Denis

Hey! You! Yes, you, the poor unfortunate soul living safely on top of the world. Be wary: the fall from the summit will be tumultuous. Stay enevloped in your cocoon. Don’t wonder what lies outside of Virginia. Are you even listening you insolent fool? Ignorance is bliss. Let the stress frcture that ended your running career be the end of athletics. Immediately seize your rowing on the ergometer. Forgeit the illusions of grandeur that you hold of collegiate athletics before you learn that those that you venerate are just as human as you. Be frightened of pretentious private colleges. You think just because you graduated top of your class in your world full of nobodies that you can compete with students from Taft and Exeter? Sublimate your drive into indifference. Find a nice, homely girl, marry her and spend the rest of your life clocking in at a sinecure. But your fate is electable no matter how LOUD I yell. You’ll still amble mindlessly towards the slaughterhouse you stupid sheep. Brush off my advice as platitude. Just know that you’ll end up convinced that even an immigrant kid like you can have an impact on the world.

Albert

Don’t worry. Don’t fret over a single test score, as—believe it or not—it won’t determine your path in life. Don’t forget to tell your family (including your dog) that you love them. Don’t be afraid to try something new, even if that something happens to be spending an entire year on the other side of the world where you don’t speak the language, don’t know the culture, and don’t know anyone—you’re going to love it. Don’t wilt under the pressure that your family, your friends, and your society seem to pile on you. It’s only temporary. Don’t forget to brush your teeth. Don’t be afraid to tell that girl you love her, and don’t be afraid to cry if it ends. Don’t drink and drive, ever. Don’t spend your entire paycheck on ice cream, unless you’re buying it for the children’s hospital event you attend every year. Don’t be afraid to play football, even if you are the only Asian. And don’t live life focusing on what to avoid—do enjoy the one life that you have.

Someone who just wants to slack off and party--you're wasting a lot of money to go to a school if you just plan on taking easy classes and slacking, and you definitely shouldn't do it at a competitive (and expensive) school.

It can be intimidating to see the quality and achievements of you peers, which can lead to pressure on yourself to perhaps try and overwork in order to catch up. Furthermore, the career center can be frustrating sometimes regarding their inability to provide adequate help, but that is where your peers and professors can help. Finally, perhaps the most frustrating thing is the prices: DC is not cheap, and neither is the tuition.

Ivana

Dear Ivana, I would tell you that college is an exciting and wonderful experience, but you already know that. I will say that you should not underestimate the amount of change you are going to have to endure and that, though difficult, you must embrace it. Not every moment is going to be one you want to remember, but try to enjoy as many of them as possible. At the end of this journey, you will be a stronger, more independent woman. Remember to always have faith in your abilities because fear of failure is no reason to not try and to not keep going. Giving up is never an option. You always talk about working harder, well now is the time. It is one decision you will never regret. Georgetown did not admit you just because you were a great high school student but because they saw in you great potential to become something more. Now you just have to see and believe in it too. Sincerely, An older, wiser you P.S. Take a breath. Things will work themselves out.

I think that a person who is not interested in being academically successful and growing as a student and as a human being should not attend Georgetown. It is a great place to grow and learn, but only if one is so willing.

While there is a significant Catholic influence at Georgetown, the university still very much encourages one to believe in whatever they want but in doing so be a good person and better your community.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.