Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Hui Min

Most Georgetown students are ambitious and have far-reaching goals. However, their own agenda do not prevent them from collaborating with their peers. Georgetown stresses networking instead of cut-throat competition. This emphasis allows students to do their best without isolating themselves from all human contact. Professors at Georgetown tend to stress growth as people instead of book knowledge. Information from famous authors is only as important as the students' ability to synthesize it with their own experiences.

I pictured my future as a dark, endless hallway during Senior year. No matter how hard I squinted I could not make out what awaited in the darkness. I did not have a guide to illuminate this path, since I was the first in my family to apply to college. I felt a constant ping of panic because what I wrote never seemed to be enough. I was not enough, never sufficient for those prestigious ivy-league universities. If I could talk to that fretful girl for five minutes I would have told her to throw out those applications. At first my advice might have overwhelmed my younger self, but it would have saved me a lot of grieve. I missed the most important step in the college application process; I did not choose the right colleges. The right college should fit me. It should value my efforts and help me further solidify my dreams. Those ivy-league universities were amazing. However, the instant I felt like I was selling myself because I was altering who I was in my resume, I should have applied elsewhere; for there were universities who appreciated me for simply being myself.

Georgetown is a liberal arts school. If a student wishes to design his or her own schedule as they do at Brown, they might find the core requirements cumbersome. The Jesuit identity defines part of the Georgetown experience. Students here will discuss their religious beliefs and views at some point during their time here. If a student is not comfortable with contemplating about their religious viewpoints, some classes and conversations may be awkward for them.

Lyndsey

They are very intelligent and motivated but still have active social lives.

They are very intelligent and motivated but still have active social lives.

You'll be homesick the first week or so, but really try not to call home every time something goes slightly wrong (an exception can be made when you lose track of the orientation group in the city). I wish I could tell you not to be afraid of the communal bathrooms and kitchen in the dorm, but you'll have to just wait and see there. Be nice to your roommate, even if it gets difficult. Be prepared for Saturday morning chem lab, though it's still impossible to tell if that was invented just to torture you. Find the seven best places to get coffee on campus fast. Don't try multitasking reading for philosophy at the gym, you'll look desperate and won't remember it anyway. Speak up in class and go to your professors' office hours. Go to club meetings, they give away free food. Try to catch a few hours of sleep every so often. And try not to panic. I promise, you're going to make it through the year.

There is little advisement for underclassmen, especially for those who have not declared a major.

Maggie

Georgetown's location in Washington, DC is in my opinion one of its biggest strengths. Not only does it provide an incredible number of internship and job opportunities, especially for those interested in politics, it also is just a wonderful and exciting place to live. DC is not too overwhelming a city, and the area of Georgetown itself is beautiful and relatively calm. Another thing that I think is unique to Georgetown is the amount of school spirit that can be found among all Hoyas -- current students and alumni alike. Alumni seem willing to help current students however possible!

I'm a worrier. Always have been, probably always will be. In higih school, the stress of college applications brought out this unfortunate character trait. I worried constantly about everything: where to apply, what I would write my essay about, would I make the deadline, would I seem interesting enough, would I get in anywhere...? And then, assuming that some school accepted me, I worried about whether it would be the right fit for me, if I could handle the coursework, if people would be friendly, if people would see it as a "party school"...and on and on. If I could go back in time and talk to Maggie at 18, I would tell her to just. chill. out. In hindsight, worrying about everything I worried about was frankly a waste of both time and energy. I got into a great college. I transitioned smoothly. I am incredibly happy now and I know that my school was a great choice. But really, I think I could have been happy at many other places too. I should have had more faith in not only myself and my abilities, but also in everything working itself out for the best. It has!

I tend to emphasize the academic rigor of Georgetown. I have had to work very hard in all of my classes -- part of this was probably because I took many science classes as a pre-med minor. I want people to understand how challenging Georgetown is, so I brag about how hard I work. I also brag about Georgetown's school spirit and its location in Washington, DC.

Robin

The wisdom I've gained in the 4 years since I graduated highschool is more valuable than anything I learned during the previous 17 or 18 years of my life. The first thing that I would tell my18-year-old self is that it is important that you pursue goals that are true to yourself and what you want to accomplish. Don't do it for your parents, your friends, your grandma, etc. because true happiness comes from within. I would tell myself to be more self-confident and less dependent on others because the best way to learn is to try it yourself. I would also tell myself that it is okay to make mistakes but it is important to hold yourself accountable so that you can take steps to improve and avoid excuses that will prevent you from blossoming. I would tell myself not to sweat the small things because that's where discouragement starts and that honest hard work and determination are the ingredients for success. My last piece of advice would be to never take the short cut because it is important to take advantage of every opportunity you get to learn; experience never hurt anybody.

Alejandro

Georgetown is passion, service, spirituality, and fraternity coming together under one roof.

The Jesuit tradition that Georgetown has to offer makes it stand above other university. Georgetown is not only concerned with educating individuals academcially but also forming human beings that are truly men and women for others.

Develop a true relationship with a mentor. This person could be a high school teacher, college counselor, older sibling, or a family member. Transitioning into college is a difficult process that one should not have to go through alone. Throughout this process, a mentor can serve as someone who can keep you grounded amidst so much change. That is why identifying someone who can guide you and then fostering a relationship with that person is extremely important. It will be reassuring to know that you can count on the support of someone who has already undergone the college transitioning process. That person should be able to better orient you in achieving your future academic and professional goals as well as help you reflect on new opportunities and challenges that may arise along the way. A mentor becomes someone you can trust and instrumental in recommending colleges, assisting you in selecting the right school and providing advice on how to make the transition from high school to college easier. They help you realize how important it is to listen to others and appreciate the necessity of interdependence.

Rahul

Hey, it's you, but from the future. College is a place of learning, but learning is not limited to the knowledge of books contained in libraries. Books may help me toward an education, but college is teaching me how to relate with others around me find my place in this world and the universe. The world doesn’t revolve around me, nor does it revolve around any particular person. This ball of dirt may revolve around the Sun, but we revolve around each other and it is the passion within us that causes to gravitate towards or repel away from people, places and things. Although I write my destiny every day, I’ve learned something else in college. I’m not the only one. I'm just one character, not just in a play as Shakespeare would say, but a character of a word in a sentence in a story that continues to be written every day. That story of humanity is History itself, which is written by God. You didn’t believe in Him before, but he found you and saved your life. I’ve found love, patience, and faith. That is more than I ever bargained for.

There isn't a metro stop here. That can get a little annoying.

I wish I had known about the pre-college summer programs that they offer here. I would have definitely signed up for a few of them related to international relations or the summer in washington program.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college, I would definitely tell myself to not be afraid to take chances. High school puts everyone in their own comfort zone. After all, everyone is their for four years. That zone becomes hard to get out of; it becomes hard to accept change. The difficult part is that going to college is all about transitioning and changing. I was afraid to go far away from my friends and family but I did anyway and I am so happy that I made that choice. Though, even when I got to college I was still stuck in my comfort zone, not wanting to join new clubs and organizations. I would have to tell myself in the past to try new things because you meet so many amazing people and have so many opportunities. Life is all about taking chances. Nevertheless, it is understandable that people get sucked into comfort zones and it becomes hard to leave but once you do your life will take a turn for the better.

I believe that the best thing about Georgetown is its emphasis on diversity. The school stresses the importance of diversity and I consider that one of the most amazing things. I have met so many different people from various backgrouds, socio-economic statuses, ethnicties, and personalities. Knowing so many people truly makes you a better person, for you are able to see other parts of the world and hear opinions that would have otherwise not exisited to you.

I believe that any type of person could attend Georgetown University. In the past they have been known to have a preppy culture but I believe the university and its students has worked hard to rid themselves of that stererotype. DIversity is key at Georgetown nowadays. People from all over the world, rich or poor, attend. With the schools strong since of unity and school spirit, it is visible to see that everyone loves Georgetown, every type of person.

Christian

Goergetown is a home, a small, beautiful, and friendly safe haven for its students and an amazing place to receive an educati...

Goergetown is a home, a small, beautiful, and friendly safe haven for its students and an amazing place to receive an education.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler about college, I think I would say that keeping one's beliefs, integrity and sense of self is the most important part about making the transition from impressionable teenager to responsible adult. I come from Nicaragua, a very small and conservative country. When I went to the United States to receive my education I admit that I was conflicted-it was so very different. While I always strived to keep in touch with the roots of my past-my culture, my religion, and my language-I do think that in such large societies, where anonimity and loneliness is not uncommon, it is very easy to lose that connection. While I fought that eventuality, I know that when I graduated high school I did not have the same appreciation for my heritage that I do now and that the strength to keep it close to my heart did not come until recently, when I felt it threatened. If I could advise myself in high school, I would tell myself to begin preparing for that intense struggle, as it is what shapes the people we become.

Deffinitely the ease with which one can make friends at Georgetown, everyone is very open-minded and interested in learning about new cultures and I think that helps to make the campus more united and much more fun.

Bridget

Georgetown is best known for its diverse, international student body, which matches their broad range of interests. Its four undergraduate colleges create a more intimate, structured framework within which students are able to hone their studies and delve deeply into their specific areas of study. Georgetown's location in the nicest neighborhood in DC provides a relatively calm atmosphere in the middle of a metropolitan area, including great restaurants and nightlife. DC also allows Georgetown the opportunity to host excellent professors and famous speakers, creating an informed, cultured, politically active community.

"Breathe, Bridget!" I wish I could scream to my seventeen-year-old self. As a high school senior, living in the aftermath of seemingly endless exams, applications and obligations, it is tempting to sprint to the finish line. I counted the days until my college decisions arrived, until graduation, until I could finally start my freshman year. My mind was anxiously fixed on the future, leaving me no energy to appreciate my final year at boarding school in Switzerland, a beautiful place filled with amazing people that I miss more and more each day. This preoccupation only intensified when summer came, when I became obsessed with picking the right professors and the perfect roommate. Although this preperation and motivation is necessary, I have gained a new appreciation for living in the moment. Freshamn year flew by, and I expect the years to only continue to accelerate as I begin internships and studying abroad. College is a delicate balance of intense experiences of both work and leisure, of transformation and development. In order to extract the best of each, you must prepare by understanding how and when to take a deep breathe and decide how certain experiences will shape your identity.

First, I brag about the family that my neighbors in my freshman dorm have become. I have yet to hear a story of a group of college students that immediately became so geninely supportive of one another, and stayed that way. Second, I brag about seeing Obama speak and my run to the White House on the night that Osama bin Laden was killed. I brag about studying international relations one day and passing the State Department and the Lincoln Memorial on my run the next day. These opportunities cannot be found anywhere but in DC.

Matthew

Staying focused while in high school will lay a firm foundation for you to relay upon in the future. Time goes by faster than we realize. Keep fellowship with the right crowd and do not be swayed by peer pressure. Often, others perspective in life can do more harm than good and deter you from your aims. Set measurable goals. More often than not, goals that are set will be achieved with the person’s lifetime. Develop a time consciousness. Being timely will add significant dividends in your path of life. Also being timely results in trustworthiness. Estimates say that 96% of people in the world are not time conscience. Set yourself apart and advance your life by being timely. Your integrity is more valuable than you realize. In a world where globalization is the norm having integrity in your dealings with people will aid you far more than the greatest resume. Doing what you say you will do holds more value than any alma mater. Your integrity matters more than the special contact you have in your contact book. These are interpersonal values that will set you apart from the rest and are lacking in society.

Attend Georgetown allows be access to the best research facilities in the academic world. The faculties commitment to scholarly learning put me in the avant-garde of students worldwide. Georgetown social culture fosters learning outside of the campus and aids ones journey in life beyond school. It is a thrilling experience to be in the center of the Nation’s capital just minutes away from the Library of Congress and the Capitol building. For me you are learning in the neighborhood circles that I will one day work. Through our speakers series we have access to many world Leaders.

My school is known to be an elitist school. I would prefer we had more outreach to inner city youth and focus on early childhood education. This by no means insists that we have none. we have partnered with jumpstart, the AmeriCorp, and the Washington [DC] Government among many. However, with the international collection of academia we have at Georgetown, resources should be used to further early childhood education in the most underserved communities. Social programs on the private sector level are crucial to sustaining an economy and our nation. There is an undiscovered resource in Youth.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.