Washington, DC
Georgetown University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgetown University

Do something! If you want to actually get somewhere in your lifetime, you need to get off the couch, and start working for what you want. You want to go to college? You need to get accepted. You want to get accepted? You need to prove yourself to the school. Do your best! Don't just get stuff done just to say you did; do the best you can do.

Dear Jessica, My name is also Jessica and I am you in the future. As strange as this may be to understand I hope you will trust me and take my advice. I know as a high school senior you are terrified of what you feel may be the most important transition in your life. I would like to counsel you in order to help make the change easier for you. First off, relax. Do not over analyze everything and panic over the small things. You are worried about choosing the right school right? Well, visit the campuses of the universities you are interested in. Once you explore your decisions you will find the school that is right for you. The most important thing to do is apply for scholarships! I can not emphasize this enough! As you may suspect, college is not inexpensive. Costs really add up: tuition, books, housing, transportation, and personal expenses. Please apply for every scholarship you are eligible for! There are thousands of scholarships available and NO excuses! You and your bank account will thank me for this in the future. Everything will be fine, I promise. Sincerely, Your future

Denis

Hey! You! Yes, you, the poor unfortunate soul living safely on top of the world. Be wary: the fall from the summit will be tumultuous. Stay enevloped in your cocoon. Don’t wonder what lies outside of Virginia. Are you even listening you insolent fool? Ignorance is bliss. Let the stress frcture that ended your running career be the end of athletics. Immediately seize your rowing on the ergometer. Forgeit the illusions of grandeur that you hold of collegiate athletics before you learn that those that you venerate are just as human as you. Be frightened of pretentious private colleges. You think just because you graduated top of your class in your world full of nobodies that you can compete with students from Taft and Exeter? Sublimate your drive into indifference. Find a nice, homely girl, marry her and spend the rest of your life clocking in at a sinecure. But your fate is electable no matter how LOUD I yell. You’ll still amble mindlessly towards the slaughterhouse you stupid sheep. Brush off my advice as platitude. Just know that you’ll end up convinced that even an immigrant kid like you can have an impact on the world.

Albert

Don’t worry. Don’t fret over a single test score, as—believe it or not—it won’t determine your path in life. Don’t forget to tell your family (including your dog) that you love them. Don’t be afraid to try something new, even if that something happens to be spending an entire year on the other side of the world where you don’t speak the language, don’t know the culture, and don’t know anyone—you’re going to love it. Don’t wilt under the pressure that your family, your friends, and your society seem to pile on you. It’s only temporary. Don’t forget to brush your teeth. Don’t be afraid to tell that girl you love her, and don’t be afraid to cry if it ends. Don’t drink and drive, ever. Don’t spend your entire paycheck on ice cream, unless you’re buying it for the children’s hospital event you attend every year. Don’t be afraid to play football, even if you are the only Asian. And don’t live life focusing on what to avoid—do enjoy the one life that you have.

Someone who just wants to slack off and party--you're wasting a lot of money to go to a school if you just plan on taking easy classes and slacking, and you definitely shouldn't do it at a competitive (and expensive) school.

It can be intimidating to see the quality and achievements of you peers, which can lead to pressure on yourself to perhaps try and overwork in order to catch up. Furthermore, the career center can be frustrating sometimes regarding their inability to provide adequate help, but that is where your peers and professors can help. Finally, perhaps the most frustrating thing is the prices: DC is not cheap, and neither is the tuition.

Ivana

Dear Ivana, I would tell you that college is an exciting and wonderful experience, but you already know that. I will say that you should not underestimate the amount of change you are going to have to endure and that, though difficult, you must embrace it. Not every moment is going to be one you want to remember, but try to enjoy as many of them as possible. At the end of this journey, you will be a stronger, more independent woman. Remember to always have faith in your abilities because fear of failure is no reason to not try and to not keep going. Giving up is never an option. You always talk about working harder, well now is the time. It is one decision you will never regret. Georgetown did not admit you just because you were a great high school student but because they saw in you great potential to become something more. Now you just have to see and believe in it too. Sincerely, An older, wiser you P.S. Take a breath. Things will work themselves out.

I think that a person who is not interested in being academically successful and growing as a student and as a human being should not attend Georgetown. It is a great place to grow and learn, but only if one is so willing.

While there is a significant Catholic influence at Georgetown, the university still very much encourages one to believe in whatever they want but in doing so be a good person and better your community.

Hui Min

Most Georgetown students are ambitious and have far-reaching goals. However, their own agenda do not prevent them from collaborating with their peers. Georgetown stresses networking instead of cut-throat competition. This emphasis allows students to do their best without isolating themselves from all human contact. Professors at Georgetown tend to stress growth as people instead of book knowledge. Information from famous authors is only as important as the students' ability to synthesize it with their own experiences.

I pictured my future as a dark, endless hallway during Senior year. No matter how hard I squinted I could not make out what awaited in the darkness. I did not have a guide to illuminate this path, since I was the first in my family to apply to college. I felt a constant ping of panic because what I wrote never seemed to be enough. I was not enough, never sufficient for those prestigious ivy-league universities. If I could talk to that fretful girl for five minutes I would have told her to throw out those applications. At first my advice might have overwhelmed my younger self, but it would have saved me a lot of grieve. I missed the most important step in the college application process; I did not choose the right colleges. The right college should fit me. It should value my efforts and help me further solidify my dreams. Those ivy-league universities were amazing. However, the instant I felt like I was selling myself because I was altering who I was in my resume, I should have applied elsewhere; for there were universities who appreciated me for simply being myself.

Georgetown is a liberal arts school. If a student wishes to design his or her own schedule as they do at Brown, they might find the core requirements cumbersome. The Jesuit identity defines part of the Georgetown experience. Students here will discuss their religious beliefs and views at some point during their time here. If a student is not comfortable with contemplating about their religious viewpoints, some classes and conversations may be awkward for them.

Lyndsey

They are very intelligent and motivated but still have active social lives.

They are very intelligent and motivated but still have active social lives.

You'll be homesick the first week or so, but really try not to call home every time something goes slightly wrong (an exception can be made when you lose track of the orientation group in the city). I wish I could tell you not to be afraid of the communal bathrooms and kitchen in the dorm, but you'll have to just wait and see there. Be nice to your roommate, even if it gets difficult. Be prepared for Saturday morning chem lab, though it's still impossible to tell if that was invented just to torture you. Find the seven best places to get coffee on campus fast. Don't try multitasking reading for philosophy at the gym, you'll look desperate and won't remember it anyway. Speak up in class and go to your professors' office hours. Go to club meetings, they give away free food. Try to catch a few hours of sleep every so often. And try not to panic. I promise, you're going to make it through the year.

There is little advisement for underclassmen, especially for those who have not declared a major.

Maggie

Georgetown's location in Washington, DC is in my opinion one of its biggest strengths. Not only does it provide an incredible number of internship and job opportunities, especially for those interested in politics, it also is just a wonderful and exciting place to live. DC is not too overwhelming a city, and the area of Georgetown itself is beautiful and relatively calm. Another thing that I think is unique to Georgetown is the amount of school spirit that can be found among all Hoyas -- current students and alumni alike. Alumni seem willing to help current students however possible!

I'm a worrier. Always have been, probably always will be. In higih school, the stress of college applications brought out this unfortunate character trait. I worried constantly about everything: where to apply, what I would write my essay about, would I make the deadline, would I seem interesting enough, would I get in anywhere...? And then, assuming that some school accepted me, I worried about whether it would be the right fit for me, if I could handle the coursework, if people would be friendly, if people would see it as a "party school"...and on and on. If I could go back in time and talk to Maggie at 18, I would tell her to just. chill. out. In hindsight, worrying about everything I worried about was frankly a waste of both time and energy. I got into a great college. I transitioned smoothly. I am incredibly happy now and I know that my school was a great choice. But really, I think I could have been happy at many other places too. I should have had more faith in not only myself and my abilities, but also in everything working itself out for the best. It has!

I tend to emphasize the academic rigor of Georgetown. I have had to work very hard in all of my classes -- part of this was probably because I took many science classes as a pre-med minor. I want people to understand how challenging Georgetown is, so I brag about how hard I work. I also brag about Georgetown's school spirit and its location in Washington, DC.

Robin

The wisdom I've gained in the 4 years since I graduated highschool is more valuable than anything I learned during the previous 17 or 18 years of my life. The first thing that I would tell my18-year-old self is that it is important that you pursue goals that are true to yourself and what you want to accomplish. Don't do it for your parents, your friends, your grandma, etc. because true happiness comes from within. I would tell myself to be more self-confident and less dependent on others because the best way to learn is to try it yourself. I would also tell myself that it is okay to make mistakes but it is important to hold yourself accountable so that you can take steps to improve and avoid excuses that will prevent you from blossoming. I would tell myself not to sweat the small things because that's where discouragement starts and that honest hard work and determination are the ingredients for success. My last piece of advice would be to never take the short cut because it is important to take advantage of every opportunity you get to learn; experience never hurt anybody.

Alejandro

Georgetown is passion, service, spirituality, and fraternity coming together under one roof.

The Jesuit tradition that Georgetown has to offer makes it stand above other university. Georgetown is not only concerned with educating individuals academcially but also forming human beings that are truly men and women for others.

Develop a true relationship with a mentor. This person could be a high school teacher, college counselor, older sibling, or a family member. Transitioning into college is a difficult process that one should not have to go through alone. Throughout this process, a mentor can serve as someone who can keep you grounded amidst so much change. That is why identifying someone who can guide you and then fostering a relationship with that person is extremely important. It will be reassuring to know that you can count on the support of someone who has already undergone the college transitioning process. That person should be able to better orient you in achieving your future academic and professional goals as well as help you reflect on new opportunities and challenges that may arise along the way. A mentor becomes someone you can trust and instrumental in recommending colleges, assisting you in selecting the right school and providing advice on how to make the transition from high school to college easier. They help you realize how important it is to listen to others and appreciate the necessity of interdependence.

Georgetown University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.