Georgetown University

« See more reviews of Georgetown University

I work at The Corp, which is the largest student run organization in the world. On campus, it has three coffee shops, a grocery store, a convenience store, and a video rental service. I have enjoyed working there since my freshman year. It was a good way to find a small community and make friends. On campus activities are fairly well attended, including sporting events (especially basketball), guest speakers and theater. There are interesting options every day of the week. Just last week I saw Condoleezza Rice speak, and have also listened to some very interesting talks by visiting faculty, Georgetown professors and other experts on topics ranging from social theory to terrorism to current international events. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday a free movie is shown on campus. The dating scene at Georgetown is bad. People often discuss a "hook-up culture." I was incredibly frustrated by this my first two years of school (as I think much of the female student population at Georgetown is). Students go to parties on Fridays and Saturdays, get drunk and go home with someone. This experience is repeated often, but almost always with a different person. Girls wonder why boys don't call them back, what's wrong with them, why they can't get a boyfriend. Boys, I think, figure they can hang out with their bros, drink beer and watch the basketball game, and then go to a party and get whatever else they want without strings attached. Why tie themselves to a girlfriend? There are no residential fraternities or sororities. There is a service frat (AEP) and a Jewish frat. They don't play a large role in campus social life, although I do think that the guys that participate in them are a little "sleezy." As a senior, my social life is incredibly different than it was my first two years. As an underclassman, I went out to on-campus parties with friends, usually a couple nights a week. I rarely knew the person who was throwing the party, but was invited by a friend of a friend of a friend. Parties usually had a keg of beer and cheap vodka. Often the campus police would come and break up parties. I also spent a lot of time hanging out with friends in dorm rooms, watching movies, telling stories, discussing classes and current events. As a senior, I have a lot of pot-lucks and dinner parties, go to parties that my friends are throwing, and make an effort to get into DC more, either to go to bars, restaurants or museums. I've been to the zoo a couple times, to some local farmer's markets and the Washington Mall a few times this year. Last night (Thursday) I went to a Spice Girls concert, and then to a bar with friends. Today I am doing homework and applying for jobs, and tonight I am going to a pot luck with the kids I work with (at the coffee shop) and my roommate is throwing a pot-luck/party at our apartment for a perspectives student who is visiting. This weekend I plan to spend studying. Last weekend I went to New York with my boyfriend.

Most popular groups on campus are probably Rugby (they throw a lot of parties), South Asian Society (indian kids, also throw a lot of parties), Jew Frat (parties), and maybe my investment club (only a few parties a year, but they're awesome). I'm part of Georgetown Collegiate Investors, LLC., AKPsi Prof. Business Fraternity, and some intramural teams. Georgetown Collegiate Investors is the largest, and oldest, student-run fund in the nation, we invest our own money in the market and make a pretty solid return while learning tons about the investment process. It operates like a mutual fund, such that all of the members vote on which stocks to buy/sell, and the majority decision rules. Kids leave their dormroom doors unlocked/open when they're in, locked when they're out (usually). BASKETBALL is HUUUUUUUUUUGE, football & lacrosse are probably second. Guest speakers usually get a pretty solid turnout, often a 100+ people attending. Never been to theater, although it's quite common & popular. some kids date (both on-campus, and long-distance), some kids look for hookups. I met my friends through the dorm, my clubs, my older brother, and my frat. 2am Tuesday, i'm probably studying or screwing around in the dorm, hangin' out. Rangila, indian dance/performance is huge every fall, Midnight Madness for the basketball team is NUTS. Homecoming is a blast, the Syracuse/Georgetown basketball games are always intense. Foxfields in the spring is a shitshow (get drunk on a bus and go to some horseraces - you'll never see a horse and have the best time of your life). Georgetown Day in April is a 24 hour assault on your liver. people party whenever they can, although work is always a consideration. Thursday/Friday/Saturday is always on, and then depending on what your weeks' like, more from there. frats aren't that important, although I love mine and i'm glad to be part of it. last weekend was spring break. i was in south beach, miami, lovin' the sun. My friends were getting arrested in Panama City, Fl. You can go anywhere in the city when you're looking for some non-alcoholic amusement, any day of the week. movies, monuments, whatever. off campus i'm usually getting a bite to eat, movies or on booze runs.

Students in dorms don't leave their doors open, not because they do not want to be social, but because most of them slam shut immediatly. Atheltic events, mainly basketball (but also soccer and lacrosse) are extremely popular. Guest speakers are also wildly popular. Often offered on a first come first serve basis, you hope to get the email immediatly so you can RSVP, otherwise your chances of going are slim. This is due to the quality of speakers Georgetown is able to attract. Theater, not so much. My closest friends were all in my freshman dorm, or I studied abroad with them. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday its normally because I am working. I like to sleep. Traditions/events: Georgetown Day, Midnight Breakfast, Traditions Day, I'm sure there are more People often party on the weekends, some people start Thurs, but for the majority it is Friday/Saturday. Party is a relative term though, often people just hang out with their close friends and "party." No fraternities or sororities are recognized by Georgetown. Therefore, they are not a big deal. Last weekend was a three day weekend. I hung out with friends on friday, went to bed early Sat, went to a friends bday party on sunday. Watched baskedball games, slept, shopped, and did some homework inbetween. Saturday nights sometimes Georgetown hosts movie nights. You can down to M street and see a movie or go to dinner. You can go into DC, see the monuments at night. Or you can just hang out with other friends who don't want to drink either, play games and have probably an equally fun time, Off campus- M Street is packed with stores and restaurants and is just 10min away so a lot of Georgetown students frequent there. Georgetown is also locate in DC, and therefore all DC has to offer is a short trip away. National mall, monuments, museums.... are all things to do off campus.

The Corp is the largest student run org. in the country and employs a ton of students. The credit union is also popular, although it's unpaid. Students do often leave doors open but it's not the greatest idea since you are in a city. Georgetown basketball attendance has grown by about 4x over the last 4 years. Other sports, not so much. Guest speakers are frequent (like 3-5 per week) and great. Theater isn't that popular but it's growing with the new facilities. Closest friends came fromt the crew team. The dating scene isn't great since it is a small campus. It seems like there are serious relationships and random hookups, but not much middle ground. 2am for the 1st 3 yrs-studying...now-I just left The Tombs, the campus bar. Hoyathon (dance party/ charity fundraiser), Homecoming, Foxfields (horse race), Relay for Life, March Madness. Partying for seniors is probably 3 nights a week but probably 2 for most underclassmen. It obviously varies on an individual basis. Frats don't really exist, only service, religious, and professional ones. Last weekend was te end of spring break so it was a party weekend. Saturday without drinking-movie, concert, other performance, dinner out in dc, ice skating...mostly revolves around parties or the georgetown (the area, not the U.) bar scene though

There are a ridiculous amount of groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus. I play both Club Water Polo and Club Basketball as well as playing intramural flag football, basketball, and softball. I'm also a member of the South Asian Society (but I'm not Indian) because every fall they host a cultural performance called Rangila that raises over $10,000 for a learning center in India and I have participated as one of the 400 dancers in the show every year since freshman year. It's a lot of fun, all of your friends and family come to the show, and there's an after party at a club on the last night of the show. Homecoming and Georgetown Day are both awesome and are basically just a great time for everyone to let loose, day drink, and show some school pride. Although our football team isn't as big as it is at state schools, our basketball team is so everyone goes to the games and Midnight Madness. It's always fun to stop by and see the occasional lacrosse game or soccer game on campus as well. There are lots of events both on and off campus to attend and tons of guest speakers. Basically, you'll never be bored at Georgetown if you don't want to be.

Popular groups on campus are the Corp[student run non-profit coffee shop, grocery store, etc.], The Credit Union, Hoya Blue [spirit club], Relay for Life, Model UN, choral groups, DC reads [volunteers]. Essentially, there is a club for anyone with any sort of interest. Sports teams are the closest thing to Greek Life, because many of them have specific houses close to campus. Students must live on campus freshmen and sophomore year, but there are lots of different options for housing, at least after freshman year (dorms, suits, apartments, town houses). Depending on your dorm style, you will be more or less close with your hall. Basketball games are a big deal, and football is slowly becoming more popular. If you are awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, chances are you are either studying, hanging out with friends, or sleeping. People generally party on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. It really depends on the individual and their work level for the week. If you want to go off campus, there are a ton of different cool neighborhoods in DC. However, most people don't leave the Georgetown area unless it is for a specific reason.

As cliche as this might sound I think there's one motto that accurately describes Gtown: Work hard, play hard. During finals the campus is pretty much dead and there's hardly any available seats in the library but on any random weekend not consumed by major tests you can find some pretty packed and fun parties in various spots throughout campus and the surrounding neighborhood. Basketball is HUGE - it's so incredibly fun to go to the games. It's become a ritual...and even the laziest of lazy students will get up at 9am to get to the Verizon Center by 10am on a Saturday morning - 2 hours before game time to ensure good seats for tipoff. I met my closest friends through introductions...I met one or two of them through freshman orientation and pre-matriculation networking events...the rest just accumulated through them. Dating works the same way - you just meet friends of friends either at parties or get to know people that you recognize from class and things develop from there. Eventually you learn that the network gets pretty small, but still big enough to be happy to see certain individuals when it's been a while.

I met my closest friends through on-campus activism. Beginning with Georgetown Solidarity Committee, the worker justice group, I got a chance to meet amazingly brilliant and dedicated people involved with MEChA de Georgetown (the Latina/o group), GU Pride (the LGBTQ group), and many others. There are no frats, but there is plenty of that typical college party -- drinking cheap beer, standing around awkwardly, uncomfortable drunken antics. For the next step above that, look out for dance parties -- the most notoriously good dance parties are thrown by the radio station (WGTB), student groups like MEChA or Solidarity, etc. There truly is much more to do than drink around DC, but frankly a lot of students never make it beyond the campus front gates or the upscale bars and shops of M Street.

Social life is pretty good at Georgetown, and you can almost always find something to do on the weekends. Few people go out during the week, unless you're a senior. Most people stay on campus on the weekend, but there are also lots of events and shows going on in DC. Georgetown basketball is extremely popular, and lots of people get really into it and dress up for the games. As far as friends go, I've met most of my friends through living in dorms together or through studying abroad. There are no fraternities or sororities to speak of, other than the business fraternity or community service fraternity, for example. The dating scene is non-existent.

In the absence of greek life, students make most of their friends in club sports (which act in some ways as fraternities/sororities), freshman dorms, and student organizations like the Radio or the Chimes (historic a capella group). A typical student here will go out and drink Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Bar nights (and there are great bars here) are typically Wednesdays and Thursdays, while Fridays and Saturdays most students head to the off-campus townhouses that surround the front gates. You won't find a lot of drug culture here save occasional marijuana use, so the main focus is on alcohol.