Georgetown University

« See more reviews of Georgetown University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Georgetown students are stereotyped as relatively conservative, preppy and attractive. The girls wear North Face fleeces, pearl necklaces, and pink ribbons tied around their blond ponytails. The boys wear Ralf Lauren Polo pastel colored polo shirts with popped collars and accompanying J.Crew "critter" decorated pants. They pregame morning basketball games with kegs and eggs, and pull all nighters in library cubicles. I went to see the Vagina Monologues a few weeks ago, and there is a scene called "The Moaner," and the actress performs all sorts of sexual moans, stereotyping different ethnicities, social classes, etc-- For the Georgetown Moan, she described "Jane Hoya" saying to "Joe Hoya," "Oh no, oh no! My pearls are caught on your multiple popped collars!" These Jane and Joe Hoya students want to be investment bankers and vacation on Cape Cod.

I was in the SFS - that's why I came to Georgetown, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere for a liberal arts education (maybe to Chicago or Columbia). That said, the SFS was amazing -- better than the Woody Wilson and Hopkins programs my friends went in to. A lot of the SFS kids were wealthy aristocrat types (to say nothing of the internatinoal students, who in many cases actually were royalty), but nearly all kids I came into contact with were smart, multilingual, and hard working.

Preppy - generally true, but there's definitely a wide enough variety of people for everyone to find people like themselves. Rich - but I feel that stigma comes from those who flaunt it; students here do span the economic spectrum. International - International programs are great and we're probably at te top of the "# of countries represented" list but diversity isn't our strongest suit. Most people on campus look more or less the same.

To folks who grew up in DC, Georgetown is an isolated haven for wealthy white kids and the children of foreign elites. They see Georgetown students as virtually unaware of the city beyond the Georgetown neighborhood, nestled in the wealthy white northwest quadrant of DC. Others assume GU is characterized by socially conservative Catholicism, full of sexually ignorant straight-laced heterosexuals.

I didn't know of any stereotypes of Georgetown students before coming to Georgetown, but as soon as I got here I became aware of some stereotypes such as that Georgetown students are well-off preps or that they are international relations nerds. Because there is such a strong Catholic culture on campus, there are a lot of Irish and Itlaians on campus.

Georgetown students are often known for being preppy and somewhat spoiled. They're also known for drinking a lot during the weekend after working very hard during the week. Students also have kind of a nerdy stereotype of talking about politics and philosophy when they're out at parties.

please see my response to the question entitled "What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate? "

John and Jane Hoya: The major stereotype is that we're all one type of American: white, rich, preppy, and extremely portentous.

People absolutely believe that all Georgetown students are "Joe and Jane Hoyas"-- wearing popped collars and kakhis.

rich kids, legacy, smart, well balanced, connected to the city, elitist, networked to the professional world.