Georgetown University Top Questions

Tyler

My advice would be twofold: 1) treat school like a job and 2) pursue a topic you are passionate about. Following the second bit of advice makes following the first much easier.

Avril

If I could give my high school self advice for college, this is what I would say: Study what you are passionate about. Join clubs. Meet as many people as possible. Take classes that challenge you, not only ones that give easy As. Meet with your professors regularly. Get internships, it’s your way to a job after you graduate. Learn how to cite properly now. If you are going to gain the freshman 15, do so from eating the free ice cream in the cafeteria. Bring a memory foam to put on your dorm room bed. Speak up in discussion section, its good practice for the “real world.” Be a clean roommate. Date the nice boys, not the hot boys. Take more credits than necessary. Don’t post your entire life on Facebook. Join and create study groups. Learn what you have to read, and what you can skim. Start drinking coffee. Call your parents and grandparents regularly, they will appreciate it. Keep perspective and balance. Save money by sharing clothes with your girlfriends. Work hard. Sleep after you graduate.

Jordan

I would tell myself that college will be the best time of your life and Georgetown is exactly everything you are looking for in a college, so don't stress about choosing a college! Then, I would tell myself that although college will be incredibly fun, exciting, and educational it will be very hard. It will be so hard leaving all your friends and family behind, moving to the otherside of the country, and adjusting not only to a new living environment, but to a new educational environment. Yet, don't worry because there will be so many people around to help and support you. You are not alone! Finally, I would tell myself to seize every moment afforded to you and to not have any regrets at the end of four years.

Alyssa

At first college life is really terrible. The orientation will seem like a cult-like brainwashing event, the arranged social gatherings become competitions to see how "cool" you are according to high school standards, and everyone will immediately form what will seem like unbreakable bonds with people they find any kind of common ground with. The upperclassmen will say how much they love college but you won't see it. This initial phase doesn't last. Eventually people stop panicking about having friends or creating that "college experience" and start acting like themselves. Get your feet on solid ground and resist the impulse to cling to certain people because you feel alone. Be a social butterfly, talk to everyone and don't write anyone off initially. Obviously you won't become best friends with everyone but you'll never meet your future best friends by only hanging out with people just because you come from the same state. Don't worry - in due time college will become amazing and you'll be the Senior, scaring the Freshman with your enthusiasm and being sad because you have to leave.

Ana

The truth is, nothing can truly prepare us for the harsh and often cruel future. I could happily and carelessly hop into a time machine, accidentally teleport myself to when I was a senior in High School instead of my desired location in the Victorian Era; and take an evening to speak to my immature, needlessly troubled and carefree self. I would tell myself to learn to enjoy the little things during my last High School year, to cherish and treasure my beloved friends, to keep in touch with them no matter what, to spend more time with my family, for I would not be able to continue living in my cozy, tiny and warm house with them. I would remind myself that good things come to those who wait, to not stress so much over insignificant things, to remember that practice makes perfect and that the biggest mistake I could make was simply not allow myself to make mistakes! I would tell myself how strong I am, advice myself to smile more often, be more confident, take each class in college with a better attitude and always remain hardworking, determined and positive.

Alicia

Focus and don't worry so much about fitting in and experiencing the social life. In the grand scheme of things, true friends will hang around regardless of whether you go partying every weekend.

Erika

Well, in High School I feel like I did the best that I can possibly do. I have always enjoyed attending school so I have always pushed myself to my full potential. If I were to go back in time to talk to myself, I would not change a thing. In High School I would always change my schedule and tell my counselor to put me in AP an Honor classes. Since I took AP courses, college seems fairly easy. The work I get in college is about the same amount of work that I use to get in High School. I felt like the transition was a piece of cake. The only main difference is that my friends are not with me every second of the day. I feel more focused in college and I appreciate the fact that I did not slack off in High School. My senior year was fun and I do not regret anyting about it. College life now is different but it's not someting that will push me back from my ultimate career goals. I actually feel more prepaired for any obstacle that comes my way.

Caitlin

My whole life has been filled with working towards getting into a good college so that I could find a good job and support my family. This is common to most people and is often considered part of the American dream. However, now that I am at a different stage of my life, enrolled in an amazing university, and I am reflecting on my life so far, I realize that besides all the hard work I put in, I was so focused on the future, that I was not able to enjoy the present as much as I could have when I was younger. This makes me sound old and it also makes me sound as though I wish I had goofed off more, but this is not the case. I mean to say that I wish I had stopped to smell the roses more often and enjoy the simple pleasures of being a child because they quickly slip away and sooner than expected the only focus in life is when the next student loan payment is due. I definitely would have told myself to focus more on my studies, read more, etc, but more importantly to enjoy life.

Saumik

If I could go back, and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would stress to myself that life has more meaning to it that studying and exams. In high school, I neglected many socializing opportunities because of the competitive race to enter college. I would tell myself to take a step back from it all, and to really take in my experience as a high school senior. I have friends who really enjoyed themselves during senior year, and I wish I could say the same thing. I think that although "senioritis" is becoming a serious problem nationwide, academics should not be the only focus of high school. I found this in myself after beginning my freshman year at a Jesuit University. At Georgetown, I learned about "Cura Personalis" or "care of the whole person". There is more that makes a teenager than good grades. There are friends, family, and self. All of these aspects of life have to be balanced in order to live a fulfilling life, and I regret that it took me this long to begin understanding this. If I had understood this as a senior, I think I would have enjoyed high school more.

Arienne

Find your comfort zone, and then leave it. In college you will encounter artists, mathematicians, philosophers, future presidents, and other scholars. You will meet and befriend students and professors representing different countries throughout the world community. You will collaborate with Republicans and Democrats, LGBT students, shy and outgoing individuals. As you will come across a broad range of fields, interests, and individuals for the next four years of your life, you should always remember to be open-minded. Every individual has a story and lessons to share, and you should be willing to listen, observe, and absorb. You will feel uncomfortable at times, but discomfort is part of the learning process and molds you into a critical thinker. Through exploring myriad perspectives and through even challenging your own ideas, you will learn how to juxtapose and integrate ideas from different fields into one cohesive understanding. For example, your future self has written essays on the upward social mobility of rappers Nicki Minaj and Tupac Shakur for a Sociology class. She has contacted and interviewed students from Asia for a presentation. Through escaping the threshold of your comfort zone, you will excel in school and, simultaneously, find enjoyment in your work.

Brandy

It's hard to believe that I have been out of high school for 16 years, but boy do I have some advice for my high school self. First off, I'd grab myself by the shoulders and give them a good shaking to wake up. I'd tell myself to hit the books and make sure I was Valedictorian and nothing less. I would get into the University of my choice and focus on nothing else but being a 4.0 student and not let anyone or anything stop me. I have always had dreams of becoming a teacher and kept putting it off due to a teacher's income. That's no longer important. What's most important and the biggest advice I could give myself is to follow my heart and my dreams and realize that people have passions in life because it is what they are built for and now at 33, I know without a doubt my life destiny is to be a teacher. A good teacher, in which I will be, does not do it for the money, he or she does it for the intrinsic joy it brings to see a child learn.

Matthew

The first thing I'd tell my younger self is to do more extracurriculars and take more AP tests. The college credit from the exams dramatically decrease the amount of work you have to do in college. Specifically, the AP Statistics and Economics exams, as those two subjects can be easily taken care of. In the non-academic side of life, I'd inform my younger self that extracurriculars are where the real fun is had, and without them, life will be quite dull. The second piece of advice I'd give myself is on how to make the transition to college life easier, you should have the expectation that you will not do as well as you did in high school. At a university like GU, you are among those who are just as smart as, if not smarter than, you are. This changes the grade distribution, and will likely land you in the B range. You must also realize that college is a mountain of work, and that even making the average B will require much more effort than getting an A in high school.

Alyssa

I would tell myself to not be afraid to learn something new. A new way of life, a new way to dress and a new way to learn were all things I had trouble coping with when I started at Georgetown. Focusing on superficial things such as differences in East Coast style and mannerisms really thwarted my ability to get to know the people and the culture on campus which is what makes Georgetown so amazing to attend. Holding on to past tendancies from California and looking for friends who reflected those values was such a mistake that really hindered my growth. I'm glad that I was able to overcome that and meet the best friends of my life, although it would have been great to meet them sooner.

Gretta

Don’t feel sorry for yourself because you’re not as well off as the rest of them; revel in the mere fact of being different. Tell them how your get into arguments with your mother while washing the dishes because she thinks that you’re wasting water, or how your father doesn't leave the house on weekends because gas is too expensive. Blast your soulful, harsh African music, wear bright, ostentatious colors, have your hair braided, and dance to the sounds of your homeland on the way to class. Take classes that will help you understand social cleavages, political and conomic developments; join clubs that will help you effect social change. Take on leadership positions, make a difference in a child’s life, and never forget just how fortunate you truly are. Stop thinking so much about yourself! Wake up in the morning and think: “How can I help someone today? What can I do at this world-renowned university that will not only serve me in the future, but also help me make a difference in the world?” Dream not just for you, but even more for those who will never see the gates of a university.

April

This is what I would say to my high school self. "Listen to me, April. College is definitely something you really need to work hard in. That means no fooling around, no more video games, no computer games, and no writing stories... Well you can still do that, but there's a little something called Time Management. Trust me, you're gonna need to learn that now. You're gonna have to use most of your time studying, and preparing for upcoming tests and projects. If you could get ahead of schedule, then you'll have some extra time for other stuff. Oh, and another thing: DO. NOT. PROCRASTINATE. It's gonna smack you in the face if you do that. "

Tiffiny

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would tell myself to finish college with the scholarship I recieved and not join the army. Altough the US Army taught me many things it has not helped me in the work force. The only thing that will help in the work force is a college education.

Megan

You are making the big leap to college. Do not worry about failing your classes, that is basically impossible. Instead, focus on skills you are going to want in college. After all, Mom has a wealth of knowledge on sewing, cooking, and medicine. Dad knows about finance and law. While you might rather be out getting a tan, which is actually going to be a burn, learn something an adult should know. At first, the cafeteria seem like a gift from God, unlimited pizza and ice cream, after a while you will find yourself craving something else. With a kitchen in your common room, you could make Asian flank steak from Mom's recipe. I know that you already know how to make cookies, brownies and the like, but extend that knowledge to actual meals. Maybe also have her teach you how to hem a skirt, she is a seamstress. I understand that Dad esentially filled out the FAFSA, but you really need to gain some understanding about finance. Soon you are going to be renting an apartment and paying taxes, learn a few things from your lawyer Dade. Essentially, don't waste your last summer at home.

Marina

Thanks to my wonderful but often overachieving teachers, I have been preparing for the next step in my life since 5th grade. 5th grade prepared us for middle school, middle school prepared us for high school, and high school prepared us for college. Having experienced a year of college, I realize I was, perhaps, over prepared. While this made the transition fairly painless, the stress of working to pay off student loans makes me miss the days when unlimited extracurriculars consumed the majority of my time. Yet, I feel that I didn’t appreciate them at the time. “Present me” would tell “high-school-senior-me” to value my activities for the reasons they became a part of my life, not as prerequisites for the greater goal of college. When I started playing the cello or tutoring children it was not out of obligation to fill up an application, but because that’s what I loved to do. Perhaps if I had that attitude senior year, I would be able to look back on my high school career and see it as more than just a transient stepping stone towards what I assumed would be a more fulfilling college life.

Katherine

I would tell myself not to worry so much about choosing the one right school. There are plenty of schools that you can be happy and do well at.

Heather

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be prepared for the adjustment that takes place the first two weeks or the first month of college. I'd tell myself that it'd be hard to make friends, to get used to living away from home, and to adjust to the new campus but not to give up because no matter how you felt that day, in a couple weeks it'll be just fine. You will find friends, you will find your "niche" at school and it'll all work out. I'd also tell myself to balance my academics with athletics and extracurricular activities. Other than that, enjoy college!

Victoria

To my high school self, Do not be afraid. I know you’re scared of meeting new people. Since Georgetown is a private school, many of the people don’t know each other so everyone’s in the same boat. I know most of your friends went to University of Maryland and that you wish you had chosen to go there too. Think about it this way. You now have the chance to create a new life for yourself. As the weeks progress, life gets better. You will make new friends and you will meet new boys that are infinitely times better than your ex. Your roommate is the exact opposite of you but that’s why you guys get along. You will get annoyed at her and vice versa, but, in the end, you both love each other. Classes are hard but you shouldn’t be as stressed as you are right now. Go to class, do your homework, study, and reach out to your professors. Other than that, you should enjoy life. DC is a great place to explore and your college life will be the best four years of your life. Good luck, Your college self

Do something! If you want to actually get somewhere in your lifetime, you need to get off the couch, and start working for what you want. You want to go to college? You need to get accepted. You want to get accepted? You need to prove yourself to the school. Do your best! Don't just get stuff done just to say you did; do the best you can do.

Dear Jessica, My name is also Jessica and I am you in the future. As strange as this may be to understand I hope you will trust me and take my advice. I know as a high school senior you are terrified of what you feel may be the most important transition in your life. I would like to counsel you in order to help make the change easier for you. First off, relax. Do not over analyze everything and panic over the small things. You are worried about choosing the right school right? Well, visit the campuses of the universities you are interested in. Once you explore your decisions you will find the school that is right for you. The most important thing to do is apply for scholarships! I can not emphasize this enough! As you may suspect, college is not inexpensive. Costs really add up: tuition, books, housing, transportation, and personal expenses. Please apply for every scholarship you are eligible for! There are thousands of scholarships available and NO excuses! You and your bank account will thank me for this in the future. Everything will be fine, I promise. Sincerely, Your future

Denis

Hey! You! Yes, you, the poor unfortunate soul living safely on top of the world. Be wary: the fall from the summit will be tumultuous. Stay enevloped in your cocoon. Don’t wonder what lies outside of Virginia. Are you even listening you insolent fool? Ignorance is bliss. Let the stress frcture that ended your running career be the end of athletics. Immediately seize your rowing on the ergometer. Forgeit the illusions of grandeur that you hold of collegiate athletics before you learn that those that you venerate are just as human as you. Be frightened of pretentious private colleges. You think just because you graduated top of your class in your world full of nobodies that you can compete with students from Taft and Exeter? Sublimate your drive into indifference. Find a nice, homely girl, marry her and spend the rest of your life clocking in at a sinecure. But your fate is electable no matter how LOUD I yell. You’ll still amble mindlessly towards the slaughterhouse you stupid sheep. Brush off my advice as platitude. Just know that you’ll end up convinced that even an immigrant kid like you can have an impact on the world.

Albert

Don’t worry. Don’t fret over a single test score, as—believe it or not—it won’t determine your path in life. Don’t forget to tell your family (including your dog) that you love them. Don’t be afraid to try something new, even if that something happens to be spending an entire year on the other side of the world where you don’t speak the language, don’t know the culture, and don’t know anyone—you’re going to love it. Don’t wilt under the pressure that your family, your friends, and your society seem to pile on you. It’s only temporary. Don’t forget to brush your teeth. Don’t be afraid to tell that girl you love her, and don’t be afraid to cry if it ends. Don’t drink and drive, ever. Don’t spend your entire paycheck on ice cream, unless you’re buying it for the children’s hospital event you attend every year. Don’t be afraid to play football, even if you are the only Asian. And don’t live life focusing on what to avoid—do enjoy the one life that you have.

Ivana

Dear Ivana, I would tell you that college is an exciting and wonderful experience, but you already know that. I will say that you should not underestimate the amount of change you are going to have to endure and that, though difficult, you must embrace it. Not every moment is going to be one you want to remember, but try to enjoy as many of them as possible. At the end of this journey, you will be a stronger, more independent woman. Remember to always have faith in your abilities because fear of failure is no reason to not try and to not keep going. Giving up is never an option. You always talk about working harder, well now is the time. It is one decision you will never regret. Georgetown did not admit you just because you were a great high school student but because they saw in you great potential to become something more. Now you just have to see and believe in it too. Sincerely, An older, wiser you P.S. Take a breath. Things will work themselves out.

Hui Min

I pictured my future as a dark, endless hallway during Senior year. No matter how hard I squinted I could not make out what awaited in the darkness. I did not have a guide to illuminate this path, since I was the first in my family to apply to college. I felt a constant ping of panic because what I wrote never seemed to be enough. I was not enough, never sufficient for those prestigious ivy-league universities. If I could talk to that fretful girl for five minutes I would have told her to throw out those applications. At first my advice might have overwhelmed my younger self, but it would have saved me a lot of grieve. I missed the most important step in the college application process; I did not choose the right colleges. The right college should fit me. It should value my efforts and help me further solidify my dreams. Those ivy-league universities were amazing. However, the instant I felt like I was selling myself because I was altering who I was in my resume, I should have applied elsewhere; for there were universities who appreciated me for simply being myself.

Lyndsey

You'll be homesick the first week or so, but really try not to call home every time something goes slightly wrong (an exception can be made when you lose track of the orientation group in the city). I wish I could tell you not to be afraid of the communal bathrooms and kitchen in the dorm, but you'll have to just wait and see there. Be nice to your roommate, even if it gets difficult. Be prepared for Saturday morning chem lab, though it's still impossible to tell if that was invented just to torture you. Find the seven best places to get coffee on campus fast. Don't try multitasking reading for philosophy at the gym, you'll look desperate and won't remember it anyway. Speak up in class and go to your professors' office hours. Go to club meetings, they give away free food. Try to catch a few hours of sleep every so often. And try not to panic. I promise, you're going to make it through the year.

Maggie

I'm a worrier. Always have been, probably always will be. In higih school, the stress of college applications brought out this unfortunate character trait. I worried constantly about everything: where to apply, what I would write my essay about, would I make the deadline, would I seem interesting enough, would I get in anywhere...? And then, assuming that some school accepted me, I worried about whether it would be the right fit for me, if I could handle the coursework, if people would be friendly, if people would see it as a "party school"...and on and on. If I could go back in time and talk to Maggie at 18, I would tell her to just. chill. out. In hindsight, worrying about everything I worried about was frankly a waste of both time and energy. I got into a great college. I transitioned smoothly. I am incredibly happy now and I know that my school was a great choice. But really, I think I could have been happy at many other places too. I should have had more faith in not only myself and my abilities, but also in everything working itself out for the best. It has!

Robin

The wisdom I've gained in the 4 years since I graduated highschool is more valuable than anything I learned during the previous 17 or 18 years of my life. The first thing that I would tell my18-year-old self is that it is important that you pursue goals that are true to yourself and what you want to accomplish. Don't do it for your parents, your friends, your grandma, etc. because true happiness comes from within. I would tell myself to be more self-confident and less dependent on others because the best way to learn is to try it yourself. I would also tell myself that it is okay to make mistakes but it is important to hold yourself accountable so that you can take steps to improve and avoid excuses that will prevent you from blossoming. I would tell myself not to sweat the small things because that's where discouragement starts and that honest hard work and determination are the ingredients for success. My last piece of advice would be to never take the short cut because it is important to take advantage of every opportunity you get to learn; experience never hurt anybody.

Alejandro

Develop a true relationship with a mentor. This person could be a high school teacher, college counselor, older sibling, or a family member. Transitioning into college is a difficult process that one should not have to go through alone. Throughout this process, a mentor can serve as someone who can keep you grounded amidst so much change. That is why identifying someone who can guide you and then fostering a relationship with that person is extremely important. It will be reassuring to know that you can count on the support of someone who has already undergone the college transitioning process. That person should be able to better orient you in achieving your future academic and professional goals as well as help you reflect on new opportunities and challenges that may arise along the way. A mentor becomes someone you can trust and instrumental in recommending colleges, assisting you in selecting the right school and providing advice on how to make the transition from high school to college easier. They help you realize how important it is to listen to others and appreciate the necessity of interdependence.

Rahul

Hey, it's you, but from the future. College is a place of learning, but learning is not limited to the knowledge of books contained in libraries. Books may help me toward an education, but college is teaching me how to relate with others around me find my place in this world and the universe. The world doesn’t revolve around me, nor does it revolve around any particular person. This ball of dirt may revolve around the Sun, but we revolve around each other and it is the passion within us that causes to gravitate towards or repel away from people, places and things. Although I write my destiny every day, I’ve learned something else in college. I’m not the only one. I'm just one character, not just in a play as Shakespeare would say, but a character of a word in a sentence in a story that continues to be written every day. That story of humanity is History itself, which is written by God. You didn’t believe in Him before, but he found you and saved your life. I’ve found love, patience, and faith. That is more than I ever bargained for.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college, I would definitely tell myself to not be afraid to take chances. High school puts everyone in their own comfort zone. After all, everyone is their for four years. That zone becomes hard to get out of; it becomes hard to accept change. The difficult part is that going to college is all about transitioning and changing. I was afraid to go far away from my friends and family but I did anyway and I am so happy that I made that choice. Though, even when I got to college I was still stuck in my comfort zone, not wanting to join new clubs and organizations. I would have to tell myself in the past to try new things because you meet so many amazing people and have so many opportunities. Life is all about taking chances. Nevertheless, it is understandable that people get sucked into comfort zones and it becomes hard to leave but once you do your life will take a turn for the better.

Christian

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler about college, I think I would say that keeping one's beliefs, integrity and sense of self is the most important part about making the transition from impressionable teenager to responsible adult. I come from Nicaragua, a very small and conservative country. When I went to the United States to receive my education I admit that I was conflicted-it was so very different. While I always strived to keep in touch with the roots of my past-my culture, my religion, and my language-I do think that in such large societies, where anonimity and loneliness is not uncommon, it is very easy to lose that connection. While I fought that eventuality, I know that when I graduated high school I did not have the same appreciation for my heritage that I do now and that the strength to keep it close to my heart did not come until recently, when I felt it threatened. If I could advise myself in high school, I would tell myself to begin preparing for that intense struggle, as it is what shapes the people we become.

Bridget

"Breathe, Bridget!" I wish I could scream to my seventeen-year-old self. As a high school senior, living in the aftermath of seemingly endless exams, applications and obligations, it is tempting to sprint to the finish line. I counted the days until my college decisions arrived, until graduation, until I could finally start my freshman year. My mind was anxiously fixed on the future, leaving me no energy to appreciate my final year at boarding school in Switzerland, a beautiful place filled with amazing people that I miss more and more each day. This preoccupation only intensified when summer came, when I became obsessed with picking the right professors and the perfect roommate. Although this preperation and motivation is necessary, I have gained a new appreciation for living in the moment. Freshamn year flew by, and I expect the years to only continue to accelerate as I begin internships and studying abroad. College is a delicate balance of intense experiences of both work and leisure, of transformation and development. In order to extract the best of each, you must prepare by understanding how and when to take a deep breathe and decide how certain experiences will shape your identity.

Matthew

Staying focused while in high school will lay a firm foundation for you to relay upon in the future. Time goes by faster than we realize. Keep fellowship with the right crowd and do not be swayed by peer pressure. Often, others perspective in life can do more harm than good and deter you from your aims. Set measurable goals. More often than not, goals that are set will be achieved with the person’s lifetime. Develop a time consciousness. Being timely will add significant dividends in your path of life. Also being timely results in trustworthiness. Estimates say that 96{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of people in the world are not time conscience. Set yourself apart and advance your life by being timely. Your integrity is more valuable than you realize. In a world where globalization is the norm having integrity in your dealings with people will aid you far more than the greatest resume. Doing what you say you will do holds more value than any alma mater. Your integrity matters more than the special contact you have in your contact book. These are interpersonal values that will set you apart from the rest and are lacking in society.

Beatrice

The transition from high school to college was a challenge for me because of the amount of work that was necessary to get there. The amount of time necessary for studying was very different from what I was accustomed to. When I was in high school all I was told is that, college was going to be tough. I wish I had sought the opinions of those who have been there before and evaluate their situations and applied what’s learned to guide my own situation. If I had the opportunity to give myself advice about college, I would talk about research, financing, dedication, and hard work. Knowing ones options helps others to better prepare for the future triumphs, trials and tribulations ahead. Furthermore, I would talk about the amount of dedication required to achieve a goal, regardless of what that goal is. I would talk to myself about my workload. Whether it be through an education or through back breaking work, I will strive, but I need to always remember to take time for the simple things in life; things that help me to remember who I am as member of society.

Chelsea

Chelsea, failure is not an option, but change is inevitable. One thing I can say about myself is I'm a planner and I need structure in my life. My freshman year was difficult and painful. I missed my family, which is typical for a first year student but was even harder for me since I was separated from my twin sister and had trouble making friends. My worst setback came with my academics. I began the year as pre-med, and, I finished the semester with barely a 2.0. I was angry with myself because I felt like a failed. I eventually, dropped pre-med, allowing myself to focus on my major. I had to modify my original plan and even though my route may be a bit different than most students, I still plan to attend medical school in the future. College has taught me that I can't plan everything and life can be very spontaneous. I wish I knew this in high school, but I'm glad that now, I am more aware of the constant change in my life, and that life is not just black and white, but is colorful and forever changing.

Alexandria

Don't rush into the college decision process. Each school has a unique character, so not every school is a perfect fit for every student. Instead of focusing on the school's name, research the programs the school has to offer, talk to current students, and spend time on the campus. It helps make the transition to college easier if you have already visited and know what to expect. Being in college is great because there are so many new oppurtunities and experiences presented to you, so you should take advantage of them! Try a new activity; you might find a new passion! Sit next to someone in the cafeteria who looks nothing like you; you can make a new friend while embracing diversity. Attend performances, lectures, and sports game; all of them add to the character of a school. Most importantly, have fun! Don't take yourself so seriously. You might think you know who you are, and you had to write it all down on paper for your application, but college is a time of learning and self-discovery. Don't be afraid to change and grow.

tephanie

if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell my self to figure out what my major would be so i wont waste time just taking general education classes. i would make sure to tell myself not to take alot of classes so that i can keep up with the work. i would also tell myself not to procrastinate with the important projects and turn things in on time.

Brendan

My advice to my high school self would be to think in perspective. Life is inherently subjective and as human we tend to only consider things in the moment in which they occur. It is the wise person that considers events and decisions in the grand scheme of life and the universe. Thus I would tell myself not to solely consider what is best for myself at that given time but for me in the longrun and more importantly for those around me. I would recommend that I examine the friendships I had and to pursue the true friendship in virtue as Aristotle would put it, rather than casual friendships of use. If I were to consider the classes I took freshman year as offering the lifelong knowledge which they did, I think I would have taken a greater care to gleam as much as I could from those teachers. In retrospect, that is the main lesson of college anyway, to think more deeply and transcend the individual.

Nichele

As a high school senior, you being to think you know everything and do not need help from anyone, but in reality you will need help. Looking back at my transition from high school to college my parents were the most supportive and helpful people ever. At first I tried to do everything myself, but I did not realize how hard it was going to be to keep my paperwork together, call all these different offices to make sure I was set for the year, or to keep my emotions in check. It was all very overwhelming. Without my parents my first year I do not think I would have survived. Classes were very challenging, but my parents keep encouraging me. They also would send little gifts of encouragement, such as my favorite snacks, and letters from my brothers and their families. Even though I was leaving my home thinking I would not have to bug my parents again, I never knew how much my family would play in my success. The first year is the hardest and my parents made sure I knew that I could call them and bother them anytime of day or night. Get help!

Kyle

I am proud to say that my high school and technical school prepared me as well as possible for college. The only advice I could give myself would be learn to cook. The hardest transition for me was living by myself. I am going to college in another state with only off campus living. My parents helped set me up in an appartment. But being alone and cooking for myself has been the most challenging for me.

Brigid

I would save up more money, prioritize my time, eat healthier, try to cram less stuff in my little dorm room and to appreciate every day.

Daniella

The best piece of advice that I can offer to you, about going off to college is the importance of accepting balance in your life. College is similar to everyday life, there is going to be surprises, some good and some disappointing. In college, you will learn every day, whether you like it or not, friends will come and go, and there will be times of extreme stress and late night cramming, but there will also be exhilarating moments of self accomplishment and peace. You will meet professors who are technically more intelligent than anyone you've ever meet before and there will be times when you’re not happy with the grades those same professors give you. Personally, I learned from the negative experiences and felt gratitude for the positive ones. If you learn to appreciate the good and the bad and stay true to yourself, you will make it through successfully.

Araceli

I have grown so much this past year. I now feed myself, do my own laundry, and make my own decisions. Contrary to high school, I now have a choice: I can choose to learn, or I can choose not to. This was the biggest surprise for me. Classes are mainly self-taught. There are no organized PowerPoint presentations that list all you need to take away from a course in a few, succinct, and well-chosen bullet points. No one bugs me to do my homework and do it well. Here, it is up to me to choose to study. If I don’t, no one particularly cares. Some of my classmates have already dropped their valedictorian work ethic because of this. But now that I have to invest so much more into my education, I feel more committed to it. I can appreciate my success. I know I did not get where I am because someone pushed me to it; I got myself here. I’ve extended the limits of “do your best”—I’ve become aware of my true potential, more so than ever before.

Erika

Georgetown University pursues a mission of involvement and a deep understanding by instilling within students the Ignatian ideal of magis, meaning “more.” For me, this knowledge I’ve received comes in two forms - that of academic learning and that of learning as it pertains to life experiences. Through conversations with Jesuits, the ideal of cura personalis, or “care for the whole person” has been further ingrained into my mind and is echoed through university programs surrounding a variety of interests. The Jesuit-based education at Georgetown enabled me to ingratiate the differences of others and understand community problems. Life experience is also of great importance. The only way one can truly grasp the depth and awareness of an issue or problem is through active involvement from within the area or community facing difficulties or hardship. For example, by serving food at a homeless shelter, I have a better understanding of homelessness. My education at Georgetown granted me a greater understanding of society and appreciation for serving others. The mental wages I earned, and the maturity I gained, are incomparable, and nothing has given me greater pleasure than to have the ability to use the knowledge I acquired to serve others.

Arielle

I feel that I have been exposed to a lot of opportunities and perspectives that I would have never encountered otherwise. This exposure has made me a more open-minded individual, a characteristic that I directly trace to my attendance at Georgetown University,

Kristina

Being able to attend college has brightened my outlook on the future. Not only will I have a degree, but I will also have proved to myself and others, that I have discipline. I actually feel like a kid again. I have been given a second chance to gain success. As an older student, I have the ability and confidence to go on. I have learned how to manage my time and motivation, while furthering my education. I know that receiving a degree in Spanish language can bring about a positive outcome for many career choices in my future. I now feel like I am finally achieving a life-long goal.

Kevin

My college experience has helped me grow as an individual. Striking out on my own, I've learned not only how to find success in the classroom, but how to take care of myself in all aspects of my life. I've balanced learning Aristotled and Weber with making sure the landlord gets the rent check on time and that the utility bills are paid. My professors have challenged me to discover just exactly who I am as a person - what I believe in and those principles that I stand for. Long after I forget Accounting 101, I'll have the life lessons I'm learning in college to guide me on my path.