Georgia College and State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Georgia College and State University

Charlotte

Georgia College is a great choice for higher education! The small class sizes allow for personal connection with professors who want to see students succeed. There are plenty of ways to get involved around campus, and organizations welcome students with open arms.

High School was a terror for me. This place has helped to build my self esteem in what I can do with my intelligence, and challenged me to think on a more broad, diverse spectrum due to our unique Public Liberal Arts Education. This place is my home, and if they had a Grad program in my area of interest I would love to stay!

Kasei

Georgia College & State University is an extremely amazing and tremendous school. I'm so glad I am here! I feel safe to walk anywhere. Living in The Village Apartments is a great experience with wonderful and supportive roommates. My Professors are nice and understanding. There are so many opportunities to get help, use a computer, read a book, talk to someone, or just hang out. Georgia College is really creative, diverse, and comfortable with nice people.

Heather

While the coursework is challenging and often requires you to use critical thinking skills and push the boundaries of your effort, the overall atmosphere is not something I am very fond of. Being a small college in a small town tends to lead to many knowing everyone's personal life. I do not feel that most of the staff and professors care for me beyond how much I pay to attend the university. I would like professors who are more invested in my education. And the staff does not usually offer much help and are often very slow to respond to questions. Having the best grades, most money, and being the best at socializing seems to be what makes you successful here. There is little time to enjoy being young and in college and away from home.

R

I haven't been impressed with GC during my first year, and I am planning on transferring next fall. While the small class sizes and cute campus are great, the academics aren't as challenging as I'd hoped. Milledgeville can get pretty boring, and everyone goes home on the weekends. University Housing doesn't put a lot of effort into roommate matching, which has caused many students to have to switch roommates within the first few months. It's also not a diverse campus, and many students are generally intolerant.

Ansley

GCSU is great. There is something for everyone to do, and you never feel out of place if you want to try something new.

Carrigan

If someone is looking for a school that isn't too large or small, GCSU is perfect for you! GCSU has a very unique and diverse campus. One of my favorite places on campus is the GIVE Center. The GIVE Center is the on campus center for service. Thankfully I attend the only college in the nation that has one of these. GCSU is a campus for everyone.

Kylie

Georgia College is a great school to attend. I am currently a rising Junior and still in love with everything about this place! The class sizes are perfect with professors who teach with a passion for their students to learn and understand conceptual ideas. Friendly environment with a charming downtown area with great food and little places to shop.

Robert

Georgia College & State University, located in Milledgeville, Georgia is a college that I give four stars to overall. There are a few reasons for this, but firstly, I will focus on the pros of GCSU. The college's campus size, as well as the class sizes, are a bit small. Occasionally, you'll get a class with 30 people, but that's the max. More than likely you'll get a class that, at most, is 15 people or less. This is a student to teacher ratio that I greatly enjoy. It gives you a chance to know your teacher better and vice versa. Your professor isn't just another credit hour and you're not just another statistic. Thus, it gives the campus a homelier feel to it, and it leads to a lot of people knowing each other. On classes though, some difficult classes would have a student instructor (SI) and this is something that's rare is free tutors that would help you when needed. These are students near your same age that are trying to pass their classes also, but they had the class that you want help in before and scored a high grade on it definitely making them a valuable asset. That is actually one of my reasons that I went to the school. Nonetheless, like every school, they have their pros and their cons. With Milledgeville being a rural college town, there's not that much that can be done, but this also leads to the school trying to have some event every so often that the students will enjoy. In some cases, with campuses trying to grow and expand it leads to the same thing, a lot of construction. It's a pro because it shows the college is trying to grow. It's a con because traffic and bus routes are occasionally altered because of this. Ultimately, if you like a small college, where everything is close by then Georgia College would be a great place to go. It's constantly expanding and adding new buildings to where classes will be held and they have areas to help you succeed in their school.

Jessi

Georgia College is a small university, located in a small town in Mid-Georgia. The size of the school enabled me to take intimate classes of less than 30 people at all times, and the ease of getting to know the professors is wonderful. I did wish there was more focus on liberal arts majors rather than business, nursing, etc.

Nathan

This school has provided me with the foundation for the rest of my life. We are a family at GCSU. I have been challenged by the professors and relaxed by the campus facilities. This university taught me to work hard and go beyond expectation to get the job done.

Betzy

I enjoyed the time I spent there!

Abigail

I love Georgia College. It is a great atmosphere to meet new people and get involved with what you are passionate about. There is great one on one attention with professors, and a great community.

Isabella

The teaching environment seems very "fertile" and ready to grow the students' minds. The dynamic between teacher and student seems to be a healthy balance between standard bookwork and experiencing real-world scenarios of the subject. The classroom feels open to any and all ideas without judgment--due to its small seventeen to one student to teacher ratio. This smaller more focused group also allows students to ask questions without hesitating to "disrupt" the class.

Ryan

"small enough to feel involved, big large enough to disappear if you wanted to." Basic college issues- parking, tuition/book fees. Great and welcoming school, most people who attend planning to transfer end up staying. You will find your niche and then some. Great school and if i could do it over again i would in a heartbeat!

Wade

I am a music therapy major at GC. While most of my classes are based on music, and I tend not to wander past the music and/or therapy buildings, this school rocks!! There is so much going on all the time. One of the coolest ways to find out whats going on is to read the sidewalks. There is stuff written on them all the time! My overall experience has been one of community, and love. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking to have a good time in college, and who wants a big school feel without the big school campus.

Annmarie

I love my school! We currently have the best nursing program in the state! All of the faculty are very personable and want what’s best for the students. Class sizes are small, but there’s always an opportunity to meet someone new. The campus is absolutely beautiful and historic. Go bobcats!!

Isabella

Georgia College is a beautiful campus and in my opinion, you can feel at home pretty quickly. For what I have seen, students really enjoy going to GCSU, the academics are amazing, people are very friendly and you can always find something to do. Everyone in campus is always very welcoming and willing to help you in anything you need. I am excited to become a Bobcat this upcoming fall.

Kaylyn

I love this school! It is centered around diversity, and the professors always push us to do our very best in everything we do. Everyone is friendly and open to conversation whether it is about academics or social life. I knew this was where I wanted to be from the first moment I walked on campus.

Rachael

Overall, Georgia College is a hidden gem. With small class sizes and engaging professors, the opportunity to learn and excel in any field is unlimited. Although the school is pretty small, there are endless ways to get involved and find your tribe, through the numerous clubs and organizations. Most importantly, there is a focus on nurturing well-rounded student education through global, interdisciplinary, and scientific educational approaches. There is a place for everyone here and they all want to help you excel, find your passion, and become a critical, educated individual. Be prepared to fall in love with Milledgeville and grow!

Madison

This college is a great place for people who want to feel independent but who also like a close-knit campus. The food gets a little repetitive, but overall it is good. The staff is very nice, and I feel like they all do their best to make sure everyone feels comfortable and safe. I would definitely recommend this school to people who were looking at colleges,

Anslee

I truly adore Georgia College. It is an absolutely amazing school for anyone who is looking for a quality education, understanding professors, kind and genuine peers, and the overall college experience. Many people are turned away by the fact that we do not have a football team, but I can honestly say it hasn’t effected me in the slightest, GC has much more to offer than just a good football team. We have one of the best nursing and education cohorts in the state, our class sizes are amazing for students who want to know their professor and feel comfortable asking questions in class, and out on campus resources are phenomenal at making sure all the needs of the students are met throughout the school year. I can’t imagine going anywhere else, GCSU is phenomenal.

Selina

I absolutely love Georgia College & State University! The size of the campus and classes are perfect for me. The classes are small enough to be able to engage other students and professors regularly. There is a very larger sense of community here. GCSU also provides all the tools and opportunities for students to learn and grow socially and academically.

Allison

Georgia College and State University is truly my home away from home. I love everything about the school, the campus, the staff, and the student body, and I’m not just saying that because I’m biased. I didn’t know what to expect when I went off to college at GCSU, so I expected the unexpected and they have met and exceeded everything that I hoped college would be. My favorite part about this school, aside from the fact that its historical beauty radiates no matter what time of the year it is, is that while I’m there, it feels like I’m in an entirely different world than what I was used to back home. I love my home without a doubt, but Georgia College gives me the opportunity to expand my horizons and formulate my own opinions about ideas that I never took a second glance at my entire life. That may be the Liberal Arts aspect of this school which, if I’m being honest I was a little leery about because I didn’t know whether or not I’d fit in because there is hardly any artsy bone in my body, but that’s another beauty of this school. There is no “fitting in” because you can be whoever you want to be and everyone just accepts that. Another one of my favorite things about GCSU is that it’s big enough to not know everyone, but small enough to recognize nearly every student on campus if you are involved in campus organizations and I greatly appreciate that. If I had to, I would choose Georgia College as my school again and again because I’m proud to be a bobcat!

Edward

Just getting ready to get started. Was to begin in Summer and was delayed to Covid. Went on a few visits. Eager to get started and more involved. Mostly everything right now I have been experiencing is online. I will start this Fall full time and be able to provide more info.

Ansley

I love Georgia College. There are a lot of international students which I love and the teachers are amazing! I love it! Glad I chose this college. The teachers are inspirational and the health science department is awesome. The SNAP drivers also provide a safe transportation for students back to their dorms.

Kathryn

I am a high school senior who is getting ready to leave for college. I chose Georgia College and State University because it was a small school, but big enough to where I didn't know everyone. The area around the college is very quaint. I also feel very safe around the college. It's a great school and I can't wait to be down there in August.

Sierra

Georgia College is a great place to meet new people. As a freshman there are many people and resources available to make sure that getting used to college is a fun and easy experience. The campus is really easy to navigate through and the dorms are great. Everyone is super friendly.

I loved the small class sizes, small campus size, and the overall feel at GCSU. I never felt like I was just a number in my classes and my professors knew my name and recognized me. I have the opportunity to conduct research as a part of my major, which I wouldn't have been able to do at a larger school. Milledgeville is an interesting place to live. There are some things to do on the weekends but the best way to find things to do is to get involved with a campus organization. My whole experience changed after I got involved.

Austin

Great university in a small town.offers great academic opportunities and skills crucial for future employment.it is a great location in a small town making it very safe.There is a connection between the students and teachers you can’t get on big campuses. Great small town university!

Zachary

Its a pretty good school I like it. It's just the right amount of quiet a person needs and have the right people to go along with it. It's just great to know that everything is all on one block not much a walk to and from classes. The safety could be a bit better but overall it's a great establishment.

Carla

Georgia College and State University is a college i strongly recommend for many, due to the beautiful campus that it has. Not only does it have a beautiful campus but it also has great teachers that go out of there way to make sure the students are understanding and doing well academically.

GCSU is the perfect size school! The classes stay small and are very personal, insuring one-on-one help from other students and professors! Milledgeville is a very central location for Georgia, and it makes traveling/ going home easy. There ar plenty of opportunities to get involved such as Greek Lives, GIVE Center (Community Service), and a ton of clubs and student organizations.

Deanna

Georgia College and State University is my home away from home. It is a small community that encourages you to get involved. I joined a sorority and three clubs my first year here. I met amazing people and roomed with my best friend. The housing and transportation is great. The class sizes are awesome because they aren't too big. I absolutely love it here and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Kim

Great Academics! I truly encourage people to participate in different activities and sports because the college experience is only once in a life time. So make it right! You don't want to grow up later and look back and regret and dread your college experience!

Jonathan

Georgia College is a college with a wide variety of extracurricular activities so that every student can find an activity for them. The school class sizes are small which helps students to get more individualized help from their professors. Overall Georgia College has a great atmosphere for every kind of student and has provided me with a great first impression of college I would highly recommend GCSU.

Ava

Georgia College has offered me many opportunities that I would have bypassed if I had attended another school. I wish the work ethic were stronger among my peers. It seems like most people party, but they don't work to party. It's okay to take a load off after a long day's work but it's hard to find the drive in some people. It makes me sad!

Britney

Georgia College and State University is my forever home. I love Milledgeville, and the campus is small enough to where you're never lonely, but big enough to where there are still people to meet and sights to see. The professors pay a lot of attention to their students and are always nice enough to talk to about any issues I may have. Georgia College is one of the best public liberal arts schools in Georgia, and it will always be the home of the Bobcats.

I think Georgia College & State University is a pretty good college. To be honest, it's the only college I've gone to, so I don't have much to compare it to; however, the college must be doing something right if I've stayed there for so long. The on-campus housing isn't too bad. I mean, I'd rather live at home, but it's not bad when there's no where else. I feel safe, everyone is nice in my dorm, and people are not too terribly loud. The classes are pretty good as well. The thing I hate the most about the school is the parking. I have to park at least five minutes away from my dorm, and it's even worse for commuters. I think, if the worst thing is the parking, then the school can't be that bad.

Jamie

Georgia College and State University is the public liberal arts university in Georgia and actively encourages its students to use the skills a liberal arts education will give them. Academics at Georgia College are first class, and the professors are always willing to help the students and engage in scholarly conversation with them. The variety of clubs and organizations at the university creates a community of inclusion and if a club does not exist, students are able to create their own. Georgia College is always after its students to get out in the community and to have experiences that students haven't had before in the hopes to create a sense of unity among the community and students and a belief in volunteering and community service to better enrich the lives of the community and the students lives.

Kiersten

Georgia College is a great school who focuses on diversity and the needs of its students. It is a small school who will fit a large range of students. There are ton of majors which help fit the needs of mostly everybody. Also, student life is a big deal-in which there are tons of greek life and club life.

Molly

Overall, GCSU is great for people who prefer a small school with small classes. However, there is not much to do other than partying. And if you're not in a sorority or fraternity, you'll feel/be treated like an outsider. 85% of the school is white and there is not much diversity. GCSU is also lacking a football team. Parking is terrible and I have to keep moving my car every two hours so I don't get a ticket. But the school can be doable if you have a group of close friends you can rely on. If you're looking for a 4-year college experience, I can't recommend it.

Morgan

Georgia college is a great place to attend college. I have spent my entire life around the campus and everyone is nothing short of helpful and caring. It is a family feeling environment that you just don’t want to miss out on. Many people are involved in the community as well and try to make the town and campus a better place.

The people there are so welcoming and open. The dining hall isn't great and people often go to Chick-Fil-A and Subway instead but the dining hall isn't terrible. The teachers try to help you as much as you can and work to give you a personalized experience. The campus is really pretty and the campus is small enough that you can get to your classes in less than 15 minutes.

Sage

Georgia College and State University is the kind of college you go to if you really want to be connected with the community. There are a variety of events to attend every week if you so desire, and there are dozens of school organizations to connect you with people to go with you. There are clubs downtown, if a place where you can go out on the weekends is what you are looking for, but there is also plenty of opportunity to chill out away from the party scene. The college also offers a wide variety of fraternities and sororities, so you can easily get deep into Greek Life if that's what you want. I'd say overall GCSU is just a very adaptable school. Your experience there will truly be whatever you make of it.

Jaylee

Georgia College and State University (GCSU) is a great school for students who are looking to focus on studies. Being in Milledgeville, there are some spots available to visit and have fun, but you will never be distracted. The campus is next to downtown Milledgeville, where there is a variety of restaurants and shops to visit in walking distance. The class sizes are smaller than most schools, which is nice because often times your professor knows your name. You are more than just a student number here, you have a name and goals and people who want to help you achieve them. The staff and students here are nice to be around and talk to. It is a really amazing campus for anyone looking for a school that feels like home.

Caroline

The campus is beautiful and well maintained. The diversity of students is easily seen with a quick walkthrough campus. The history of campus is preserved in the buildings and the staff are all very nice. There is plenty to do downtown and it is a safe environment. The school is also a short drive to Athens for those who like football.

Alexandra

I really enjoy this school because of its small size. The classes are small enough that the professors get to know you (in case you need a letter of recommendation). The diversity is lacking when it comes to different ethnicities and races. However, there are several different clubs and organizations highlighting different topics and issues.

Good school, good environment! Great professors that care about their students (for the most part). A lot of extra curricular activities as well.

I absolutely love it there. The students are nice, staff, and professors. The town is small but has lots of things to do there. The campus is beautiful but quaint. It’s a great option when looking for a place to call home! I would absolutely recommend visiting!