Lawrenceville, GA

Georgia Gwinnett College

« See more reviews of Georgia Gwinnett College

Undergraduate course work is like high school work on steroids; the same outlined material, but more in depth and at a faster pace. In high school teachers warned us about the double workload of college classes. The advice I would give to myself would be to establish a successful study habit and to learn the material not simply memorize it. You are about to encounter new responsibilities, therefore, learn to prioritize. Your work and social life will become more interesting; in order for you to not fall behind, it is crucial that you learn your best study habits. College professors will present the information once, and hold you accountable for learning the material. Constantly review the material so that you do not cram the night before the exam. You build on your prior knowledge. If you simply memorize the material for the test you will forget it and spend time later relearning the same bits and pieces. On the contrary if you learn and understand the objectives, you can connect different problems and have a more analytical insight. My advice to you is do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Going back to college has been the best decision I have ever made. When I graduated high school, I had no real appreciation for college. I graduated from high school in 1985, married in 1989, and divorced in 2003. Finding myself divorced with five children, and an ex-husband in prison for seven years was no joke, this was a serious wake up call for me. Not only would I need to find a way to support my children, but, I wanted to do it without having to compromising our standard of living. I knew that in order to do this, I would need to earn my college degree. I also knew that if I wanted my children to understand the importance of completing college then what better way then for them to watch me earn mine. While I have been in college, I have immersed myself into not only my studies but I have joined clubs, honor societies, and have leant my voice to others about the importance of completing college. My college experience has not only increased my self esteem, but in the process of feeling better, it has allowed me to help others feel better about themselves.

One morning you will wake up in a psychiatric hospital. Your family is 1000 miles away but they have no clue you are here. You are a legal adult of 18 who is able to make important decisions about the rest of your life with the signing of a document. And you will not tell them for days because they are helping you pay for the $38000 tuition and how dare you? It has not even been two months but an F and an essay due tomorrow have shattered you. How dare you break those straight As? How dare depression shackle you to your bed for months afterwards? You will panic at going to a new school, at the thought of history repeating. It takes time. You will sit resentfully at the state of your life, but then start to participate. Engaging and studying is not so bad. And soon you will have two part time jobs and look for internships and learn more than you ever have, closer to your degree everyday. And you will cry while writing this because it is not college life that brought ambition back. It’s because college is a line on your resume.

Since I didn't get into the school at the top of my list, I would tell my high-school self that it is alright to "settle for less". I would say that dwelling on what could have been takes up more energy than actually working with what you are given. Through my experience at my current college, I have found that it doesn't matter where you end up for college; all that matters is that you get to experience it and receive the education you are setting out for. As for the actual tranistion, I would tell my past self to make a lot of friends. Most of my friends went to different colleges all over the country, so reestablishing a strong social network will definitely prove useful throughout the education process. Since I knew I'd be living at home, I would also tell myself that I would need to expend a little more energy to make and secure social ties. Not living on campus can make you feel somewhat cast out. But this feeling can easily be remedied by making many friends. The way today's world seems to work, it's all who you know.

I would tell myself to breathe. College is not as scary as it seems. The most important thing is to meet with all your professors as soon as you need help. All of them want to help you, and will go out of thier way to do so - even after you leave their class. Years from now you will run into them on campus and they will give you a hug and ask how everything is going. Join the honor's program right away. Do not make Dr. Wunder call you! It is not added work and stress to your freshman year, but rather added support, opportunities, and fun. Keep and open mind and take chances. Attend every event you can, talk to everyone you meet, and lead when you are able. With every opporutity you learn and become more confident. Never let an opportunity pass because you are afraid to take it. Above all have fun. Do not let anything or anyone weight you down. Find the bright side of every situation. The more fun you have the more you will put into the experience. Give college your all and you will get amazing things out of it.

College life is a great learning experience, but before entering lets go back to high school where it all begins. High school can be fun but then again we always have teachers telling us that college is way different. In college one doesn't have to worry about attending classes if they don't want to., but not attending class will very much reflect on your grade. I would let fellow seniors know that working hard in high school pays off in college. Having good grades will help one get financial aid such as Hope Scholarship. When teachers make assignments due on certain time, its because in college assignments are always due on time, teachers don't let students know that there is an assignment due. Students have to keep up with the assignments and tests. In highschool start to accept different cultures, because every college has variety of different cultures and religions and one has to learn to accept them. This will make your college experience easier and one will be able to make many friends.

I know that a college education is important for success. I am working towards a career in engineering, and the education I am receiving in college is helping me reach my goal. I have learned how to be independent in college and to be responsible when it comes to homework, studying, and group projects. This has helped prepare me for the business world. Once I graduate from college, the skills I have learned and the achievements I have earned will make me a more desirable candidate for jobs. I have also had the wonderful experience of being a part of a campus club. I have gained more organizational skills through this experience, and I have made many great friends. I have learned how to work well with others towards a main goal, and my communication skills have prospered as well. These skills will help me one day as I step into a workplace and work alongside my coworkers. Attending college has been a great experience, and is constantly preparing me for the rest of my life.

My college experience has been a truly amazing one. I started attending college in the Fall of 2008. I was 15 years old at the time. I was enrolled in the Dual-Credit Program. The Dual-Credit Program is a program in which a high school student gets to enroll in college classes and gets credit towards both high school and college. On May of 2010, I graduated high school and in the Summer of 2010 I will have an Associate's Degree in Science. Attending college as a high school student has really helped me mature and grow more as a person. Attending college also made me more responsible. I think that attending college is valuable because it is really just the beginning of a very long road that ends with sucess. Sucess is my goal and if college helps me get closer to that goal then it is valuable. I have also noticed that college has made me more social and being social is definitely important in this society.

So far, my experience at college has provided me with a lot of freedom that was not available in high school. One of the first pieces of information that was shared to the students of GGC was the fact that college degreees earn more money in most cases. Based on this information, I felt more encouraged to go to school to reap the benefits of money and learn more about the goals that I want to pursue later in life. School has been very valuable to me because it has helped me see the depth of some of the things that I want to do with my future. My goal is to be an mechanical engineer. Any engineer knows that the world is changing everyday. As engineers get older, their methods of doing things get older as well. In order for advancements to occur in the world, there needs to be new ideas presented. College is giving me basis that I need to solve problems and get to a higher and fresher level of thinking.

Well I actually learn new stuff everyday and I have always love learning new stuff, it keeps your mind working. I learned that everyone has a lot to learn, even if they think that its too late to go back to school. Everyone has the oppurtunity to learn. Presonally I love to learn new stuff everyday that's what keeps me going in college. Even if someone thinks that they know everything there's still new and exciting things to be discovered, it will surprise us everyday. I took the first step and it's not going to end becuse there will be many steps that will take me where I want to be and that first step was going to college. I experience something different everyday and I love to experience new things every single day that's what makes it fun. A new day means new discoveries and that's the most valuable thing I experienced and learned in college. I'm glad that I decided to attend college.