Atlanta, GA
Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

Michelle

Hey, bright-eyed, clueless high school graduate, you probably think it’s a smooth ride from here. Wrong. Get your priorities straight. Make a daily schedule. You’re smart to graduate as valedictorian, but if you keep procrastinating, that won’t mean much. Learn a little everyday instead of cramming. Take advantage of the free on-campus tutoring. Join a study group, but remember, the ones with video games and loud music are not conducive to learning. If you don’t have anything better to do, get some sleep. That BBC drama marathon can be done during the daytime. Try not to eat out that much; it’s not good for your physique or wallet. Most importantly, you’re not rolling in money, but you’re about to have even less. Get to know your financial aid advisor. Two years from now, you’re going to lose your institutional scholarships because you didn’t understand the importance of the priority deadline. A quick meeting at the beginning and end of a semester with your advisor will save you a summer of grief and thousands of dollars in debt. Hey, prospective freshman, buckle up; college is a real rollercoaster.

The focus on academics and especially research enables the students to be taught by professors who are leaders in their field. Also, the students learn how to think in novel ways and find out information for themselves.

There is a heavy emphasis on engineering and science so the school is not very well-rounded. Some classes, especially liberal arts classes, tend to be more difficult/complicated than they need to be.

Maria

Top-notch academics with an innovative, professional research atmosphere all within a campus that is located in a big city but doesn't look or feel like a "city campus".

Since the school offers few majors that aren't math or science related (and even the non-science/math related majors require at least one computer science, natural science, and math class), at least a tolerance of the subjects required. In other words, if you detest math and science, you probably won't like Tech. Additionally, success in courses requires quite a bit of work. If you aren't willing to spend a considerable amount of time learning the material both through assignments and on your own, Tech isn't the place for you.

For me, the most valuable skill in college is time management. Unfortunately, I had to learn this skill the hard way during my first few months of college, so the advice I would have given my past self is to work on developing this essential skill. Because college courses are less structured than high school but are more severe about deadlines, the procrastination that I grew into in high school was an extremely difficult habit to break - especially because of the added load household tasks like laundry, cooking, and cleaning that come with a dorm. Additionally, a multitude of unforeseeable events can and will happen in college, for example, I began college with a severely broken leg. Had I been better at time management, addressing the additional burdens of these events would have been much easier and less stressful. Ultimately, learning time management during high school would have better prepared me to handle the stresses of college both in and out of the classroom.

Amrita

Georgia Tech is an outstanding research institute that emphasizes critical and analytical thinking in students in order to help them become successful individuals in the future.

It’s hard to believe that you will soon be walking across that stage, receiving your high school diploma, and beginning the next chapter of your life. College is an entirely different environment that will enable you to explore your opportunities and gain the independence you have always wanted. It will be a whole new experience that will leave you with a different outlook on life. I remember how tough it was moving from India six years ago, but I want you to know that I am very proud of you and you have done the best you can while staying true to yourself. Although it was hard adjusting to your new life in America, you will utilize your adaptability skills all throughout college and the rest of your life. College will never be a breeze (expect to get 30s and 40s on some Organic Chemistry tests) but it is essential that you maintain a positive outlook on life and not be so hard on yourself. Remember that at the end of the day, you are a student, and you main job is to learn! Most importantly, you will learn how to be independent and live life to the fullest.

Most classes are incredibly hard and require a large amount of studying. The stress that is caused by all of the classes gets in the way of having a social life.

Whoever attends Georgia Tech needs to be driven. They need to want to excel academically and professionally. Also they need to be able to handle the pressure that comes with working with smart competitive people. Even though this is a competitive environment there is still time to have fun and socialize. They should be able to look past there work and see the silver lining from the long hours studying. To sum it up they need to work hard and play hard.

Kathleen

When I was a prospective student considering Tech I decided to apply based solely on its outstanding academic reputation. It was only months later when I was able to visit Tech’s campus that I realized it is so much more than that. Tech truly stood out to me as a school where I would be given every opportunity possible to prepare for a successful professional career. It is a school that thrives on the intellectual and cultural diversity of its students, but connects them with a rich history of school traditions that every student comes to know and love.

The best advice I could give my past self is to strive for balance in college. Students at my school say that while attending, you can pick two from the three: grades, sleep, or a social life. I picked grades for the most part. I put a tremendous amount of pressure on myself to perform academically and as a result, I did not concern myself with much else and was constantly stressed out. While I am proud of my academic accomplishments, I truly regret not following the generic advice to get involved with something, be it a club, a sport, or a committee. The most important lesson that I have learned in my first year of college is that focusing on just one thing will cause you to burnout. It is incredibly important not to forget activities that you love and to make sure you schedule them into your day. You do have time for school, sleep, and friends as long as your plan wisely. Know that you are in college to learn, but that it is also okay to have fun.

Tech is definitely a school to consider if you have a passion for science and learning, but I feel that the most important quality a prospective Tech student should posses transcends intelligence. It is tenacity. Tech is a very challenging school where you will be constantly pushed to surpass your intellectual and creative bounds, but it is unbelievably rewarding for those who are able to take hold of opportunities and run with them.

Georgia Tech is an engineering school and a research institute. Many, if not all, of our engineering programs rank in the top 10 in the country, and some are in the top 10 in the world. Tech is very proud of its reputation for producing the best engineers and practical thinkers a college can claim. Many of our professors are also world-renowned and come to Tech not only to teach but to work on their own research using Tech's elite facilities and resources.

The worst thing about Georgia Tech is definitely the workload. Almost every single class is difficult, and when you're taking five classes, it adds up very quickly, especially in the science and engineering colleges. "Freshmen weed-out classes," as a rule, pile on work attempting to fail freshmen who don't take the classes seriously enough. We joke that a Tech GPA of 2.0 is the same as a 4.0 at UGA because the amount of work and difficulty is not even on the same scale.

It's not a race. It's okay to slow down and let yourself breathe. "Stop and smell the roses" is always that advice a teenager gets and ignores, because it's what every "old person" tells them, but it has some truth. I left high school two years early to start college, and I flew through everything, not wanting to be the last to finish. That was a mistake. I never got to know any of my professors, and I left all my friends in the dust. There is a lot of pressure on you because you have to compete in the global job market, and there is a lot of pressure to be the best and the brightest or find yourself contributing to the growing unemployment rate, but it's okay. It's okay to slow down and breathe. You think life starts after college when you finally land a good job, buy a house, and get married, but it doesn't. This is life right here, right now. This is it. So slow down and live it. Go out with friends. It's okay that you failed that test. Breathe. It's not a race.

Brian

Georgia Tech is a challenging school that requires absolute effort to earn a degree, but provides all the tools needed to be a leader in engineering and scientific industries.

For me this is a trip of more than fifteen years. As a high school student I did not apply myself as much as I would have liked. I would tell myself, "No one is going to choose you out of the crowd and make all your wishes a reality. You get out of your education what you put into it, and that paper they hand you in the end is worth more than any amount of natural intelligence because without it your application won't even make it past the automated filters. "Don't worry about being popular in high school, the majority of these people will be little more than Facebook friends in fifteen years. I won't explain Facebook right now, you'll see. You'll be able to 'Google it.' Your real friends, though, will be there for life and when you see them after ten years it will be like you saw them last week. Work on bettering yourself; work on being a better person and a better human, because there is only one person in this world you can change and when you do you make the world a better place."

Out of State Tuition. At more than $28,000 for tuition and fees it is over four times what in state residents pay, and they do not provide as many scholarship opportunities for out of state students. There is a scholarship that will cover the differential between in state and out of state tuition for entering freshmen but no such program is available for transfer students.

Carlos

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would cherish the opportunity to give myself tips with the benefit of insight. And, because teenagers can be “hard headed” (I know I was) I would not sugar coat my message. I would most likely start by slapping myself in the back of the head and say “Wake the hell up, the time is now!” Then, I would start to give myself the advice that I needed about college and how important it is for the future. I would not stop until my former self understood that the longer I take to make the transition to attend college, the harder it will be when I finally do attend a college. Most of all, I would tell myself that being a college graduate is not out of my reach and that I can become a college graduate if I only believe! I would tell myself all about the college that I am attending now, the New England Institute of Technology in Warwick, RI, and how wonderful the instructors and faculty are and how they make you their priority to succeed in college.

Lee

My classmates have been hardworking, willing to help other classmates with schoolwork questions, and friendly.

The worst thing about Georgia Tech is that the workload is so large that I had to devote a substantial portion of my free time studying and doing homework or classwork.

I would tell my younger self that college is hard work and that I should not take assignments lightly. I would tell myself that fun should not come before work. There would be time for fun and meeting new people, but I am there to work. I would also say I need to go to professors ofice hours more often. Most importantly, I would say that a lower grade is hard to bring back up, so don't slack off.

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.