Atlanta, GA
Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

Andy

The best thing about Georgia Tech is the community. Knowing that everyone is going through the same thing as you is very comforting, and people are so willing to help each other out. It's teamwork at its best. The school is just the right size, in my opinion. People's reactions seems to be regional. In the south, when I tell people I do to Tech, they are impressed because they know what an awesome engineering school it is. However, in the north, people do not really know about Tech's reputation for being an excellent school. I spend most of my time in the dorm, because most of my friends live in the same dorm as I do. Atlanta is by no means a "college town", but the campus itself and a few surrounding streets feel very much like a little college town. I think Tech's administration is great. We're very sad to lose Clough as President, but he is moving on to head the Smithsonian, a great honor. That's probably the most recent controversy. On game days, school pride is almost tangible. It's that strong. I'll always remember sneaking into the stadium one night and going to the top of the bleachers to stargaze. The skyline was gorgeous. Students frequently complain about the workload and the lack of girls, since the ratio is 7:3.

Campus is very diverse, but I've never really seen any clashing between ethnic groups or anything like that. We had some evangelical religious protesters last semester, but there were counterprotesters, too. I don't think there would be any type of student that could feel out of place here, except someone who wasn't willing to do any work to earn their grades. People wear a lot of Georgia Tech clothing to class-- sweatshirts, free t-shirts, sweatpants, whatever. It shows spirit. In the dining hall, everyone pretty much sits with whomever they want. It's very common to see friends in the dining hall. I'd say about 70% of Tech students are from Georgia, with Florida being the next-best represented state. There are a lot of international students, though! Financial backgrounds are usually middle-class. Many students are politically aware and active. We have a smattering of Libertarians, but most are either Democrats or Republicans, predominantly towards the right since we are in the religious south. Students do talk about their eventual salaries, but not terribly often.

Tech can be difficult at times, but it is not impossible to do well here if you focus and get all of your work done in a timely manner. There are all types of people here: nerdy, intelligent types and sporty people, and very extroverted students. It's a big mix. The members of the Equestrian Team are interesting, helpful, and diverse. There are even a few boys.

Most professors know us by name, but it depends on the class size and how dedicated the professor is. My favorite class is my intro to nuclear engineering class. I love the subject matter. I hate Physics, though. Students study all the time. Really. Class participation isn't great, but sometimes it's mandatory, with the personal response systems. We certainly have many intellectual conversations outside of class! Students are generally competitive, but there are exceptions. The most unique class I've taken is a seminar about the origins of life on Earth. It's sort of a biochemistry/biology/evolution class. Very interesting. My major department, nuclear engineering, is very small. I feel like I get a lot of attention for being in that major since it's so small, and I can approach the professors easily. Georgia Tech's education is definitely geared toward preparing you for any career you may pursue while also encouraging learning for its own sake.

Greek is very popular. They have all of the parties, etc. Football and basketball are hugely popular to watch. I'm on the Equestrian Team, which is an intercollegiate riding team. We compete against schools in our region, like College of Charleston, Emory, Georgia Southern, etc. We also have social outings, like dinners and weekends where we go trail riding and camping. It's a lot of fun. Some students leave their doors open in the dorms. Athletic events, especially football, are very very popular. Lots of alumni come back, and undergrad tickets sell out rather quickly. Guest speakers and seminars are very common, and turn out is almost always very high. The dating scene is interesting. Many couples come from living in the same dorm (a few co-ed dorms). Lots of fraternities and sororities have date nights, and some couples are born that way. Being female, I haven't really had a problem meeting guys or dating if I wanted to. My closest friends are from the Honors Program. We all live together in the Honors dorm. If I were awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'd either be spending time talking with my boyfriend or doing homework. Possibly watching a movie. Homecoming, Freshman Cake Race, RAT caps, the traditions are numerous. People party pretty often, but it's most common in the fraternities and sororities. Last weekend, I spent time with some friends and prepared to go home for spring break. I also went to a fraternity and hung out for a bit. Staying in and watching a movie or playing games on a Saturday night is always fun. Off campus, I usually go out to eat or shop at a place like Lenox Mall or Little Five Points. Atlantic Stations is also a great place to go.

Many people think that Georgia Tech students are all nerdy, intelligent introverts. About the school itself, people perceive it as being impossibly difficult. Relating to the Equestrian Team, there is the stereotype of stuck- up cliquish sorority girls.

Kristen

The best thing about GT is the camaraderie. We all go through the same tough classes and mostly at the same time. I would change some of the professors' attitudes, though. Sometimes I don't think they realize we're only human. The school itself is the right size, although it's growing quickly and we're running out of room for everyone. It gets a bit crowded at times. People are impressed when I tell them I go to GT, and even more so when I mention my major and the job offers I got. I spend most of my time in my major building, but my first two or three years I was all over the place - very busy! It's not in a college town, but Atlanta is wonderful if you're over 21. I am jealous of places like Athens where it's fun all the time, but you can't get the same degree there. The administration is a bit red tape-y, but that's probably at all schools. My particular adviser was wonderful. I can't think of a big controversy on campus. They usually deal with those that live there, and I don't. There is a LOT of school pride. Once you put in the blood, sweat and tears that we do, you gain that pride - definitely! Unusual at Tech? Well, a lot of majors just aren't here, so you better be sure before you get here that you'll like something. I'll always remember game day experiences. Football season is such a fun time for everyone. Most frequent student complaints usually involve having too much work!

They say that GT is so diverse, and that's true to a certain extent. There are dozens of countries represented here. But, also, there's a lot of middle class white people. So, it's not as diverse as they claim. We're in Midtown Atlanta, so the LGBT crowd feels comfortable. I think a lower class student would feel out of place. I kind of did because there are students with Mercedes! I'm by no means poor, but I felt more lowly than some, I'd say. Students wear whatever to class. Mostly jeans and the bazillion free shirts you get. Some come in pajamas, and some try to look nice. It's all about the personality of the student. Different types of students interact for sure - we're pretty much forced to because of all the projects we do. Four dining hall tables: one will be sorority girls and fraternity boys, another will be the male "gaming" crowd, a third will be Indian students and the fourth will be Chinese students. Most Georgia Tech students are from the US. Probably the Southeast (GA in particular), but not a majority, just most. Most students come from the middle class. Greek students tend to have more money than non-Greeks. Students are politically active and aware, but not as many as I would like. College students tend to be in a bubble of their own and maybe don't pay as much attention to the outside world until the end of college. Most students are Conservatives. After all, this is Georgia (part of the Bible belt) and it's mostly white kids with money. Students discuss money, sure, but it isn't the focus of why we're here.

For the most part, yes. But, you can be a nerd during the week and have a blast on the weekends! And, there are a few great professors who make the whole thing worthwhile. As for sports, it's hit or miss with football and basketball. The baseball team is great, though, and most of the women's teams are, too.

In large classes, professors don't even try to know names. But, in smaller classes, professors try and usually succeed. In mid-size classes, it only happens if the professor is that cool. My favorite classes were my upper major courses because I really got into what I liked. My least favorites were computer science classes because I had never ever seen code before, and they just kind of throw you into it. Students study a lot - I won't lie. You have to. But, it definitely pays off. Class participation depends on the class. If it's a part of the course, then you have the students who participate and those who don't - just like anywhere. Yes, GT students have intellectual conversations outside of class. But, don't let us fool you - we goof off, too. Students are VERY competitive. So much so that sometimes they won't help other people for fear that that student will then perform better than them. The most unique class? A class on how to make carpet. Way out there! I'm an Industrial and Systems Engineering student. My major is the second largest engineering school, and everyone is really great. We all get to know each other, and the professors here are better than in other departments (and more friendly, too!). I don't "chill" with professors outside of class, but at office hours, they're very friendly and talkative about their lives. The academic requirements here are not easy, but they are well worth it. The education here is definitely skill-based for getting a job, but they also push a lot of students to go to grad school and continue in academia.

Greeks are the most publicized groups. Those are the "popular" kids, I guess. But, anyone can be Greek. Just takes a little bit of confidence and some money, of course. Freshmen tend to do the open door thing, but after that, you've made your group of friends and you're probably not in your room that much, anyhow. Everyone goes to football games, and a lot of people go to basketball games if we're doing well. Baseball games are a here and there type event. We have a lot of "talks" and a couple big name speakers each year. There's usually a good turnout. Theatre is also hit or miss. Depends on the show. The dating scene... well, there are a lot of guys that stay in their rooms and play video games. There are socially awkward girls, too, though. A lot of people find The One. Almost everyone dates another student at one time or another, though. I met my closest friends by living in the dorms or through friends. If I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I am studying for something the next day or I went out that night to a party. People definitely party on the weekends. You have to so you don't go crazy. Usually Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. But, if there's something to celebrate during the week, people will do that, too. It's all about time management. Get stuff done during the day so you can relax at night. Atlanta is full of stuff to do - music, theater, movies, shopping, art, parks, you name it! There are great restaurants, too.

Students are nerdy. They don't know how to have fun. The professors don't care about their students. Sports teams are no good.

Jerry

These stereotypes are not accurate at all. In fact, life at GT is exactly the opposite. If you are involved with campus activities, not only will you get a fun-filled educational learning experience, but you will also have the time of your life!

The academics at the College of Computing (CoC) at Georgia Tech are one of the top in the world. From the very first introduction to programming course to the most advanced databases courses, the professors are very dedicated and they love seeing their students learn. As a teaching assistant, as well as a student, I can honestly say that I have seen the entire spectrum. Students love to learn, and you will never have a non-intelligent conversation, all the while not even realizing what a fun time you are having! Moreover, the faculty are very approachable, and they are always participating in various events for student organizations in the CoC. The education you receive for the price you pay is more than worth it. The career fairs never fail to bring in Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, HP, Cisco, and many other Fortune 500 companies. You are guaranteed success just by going attending here and showing how much you have learned!

People claim that GT students do not really have a life outside of studying, and that they are not confident in themselves.

Nicki

The best thing about Georgia Tech is being around people who are very similar to myself and understand why I work so hard and challenge myself. Probably the only thing I would change about my school would be having more professors who do not have heavy accents. The size of Georgia Tech is perfect - it is large enough to where I do not know everyone and can always make friends, yet I will generally know one or two people in each of my classes fairly well and recognize a few others. Because I am a girl, I feel when people find out I am a Georgia Tech student, they are surprised yet impressed and suddenly treat me with more respect. I spend most of my time in my sorority house on campus. I love that Georgia Tech is in the middle of Atlanta because there is always something going on outside of campus and anything you would want to do is easily accessible. Also, the job market in Atlanta is amazing. I am always impressed by Georgia Tech's administration because they are always on top of everything. I would say there is a good bit of school pride - not so much that it is over the top and obnoxious but still bonding and exciting. One experience that I will always remember from college was last summer when I studied abroad with Georgia Tech in Beijing and Singapore. It has truly changed me forever. I think the most frequent student complaint is about the difficulty level at Georgia Tech.

I attend a Greek Bible study and am in a sorority. I think someone who is artsy and less engineering minded would feel out of place at Georgia Tech. Students wear jeans and t-shirts to class. Yes, different types of students interact though group projects. If there were four tables in the dinning hall, they would all be filled with freshman, because after your first year you never want to eat there again. One would probably have Greek students, two would be filled with random groups of friends, and the other would have people sitting alone doing studying or reading books. Most GT students are from Georgia or at least the south. Most students are from the upper class, but there are a fair amount from the middle class and very few from the lower class. Most students are too politically active and I think we are pretty even across the political view spectrum. Yes, students talk alot about how much they will be making when they get out - I think the average is around $55,000 a year, so that is really nice.

They are to some extent. I would say Georgia Tech has its fair share of anti-social nerds, but we also have a large population of outgoing, very involved students who care about aspects of life besides grades.

No, professors do not usually know your name. My favorite class is Operations Management because we get to look at all aspects of my major, Industrial Engineering, so I find it very interesting. My least favorite class was a computer science class because I hate coding. Students study all of the time. I would say I spend at least 20 hours a week studying. Class participation is not common in engineering classes. One of the things I love about Georgia Tech are the intellectual conversations I have with almost everyone outside of class. There is a small bit of competitiveness, but it is usually everyone against the professor. Almost everyone is willing to help others out in class. The most unique class I have taken was a history of China class that I took while studying abroad in Singapore. I had never learned so much about another country before, and it really opened my eyes to how others live and think in different parts of the world. My major is Industrial Engineering and Georgia Tech is considered the best school in the nation in Industrial Engineering. The curriculum is awesome because you can focus on logistics, manufacturing, quality control, etc. or you can just take an assortment of classes from the department. Our senior design is extremely challenging because you work with a real client, such as Red Bull or UPS, and fix a problem or design a new system for some portion of their business. No, I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I really like our academic requirements. Georgia Tech definitely trains you for you career.

Greek life is very popular on Georgia Tech's campus. I am involved with Alpha Gamma Delta as the Vice President of Member Development. It has taught me about leadership, organization, and professionalism. I believe that going Greek was one of the best choices I have made thus far in college. Almost all other student organizations are made up of Greeks. No, students do not usually leave their doors open. Football games are extremely popular, but basketball and baseball games are only mildly popular. Guest speakers and theater are not very popular. The dating scene for girls: "the odds are good, but the goods are odd." Because there is only one girl for every 4 guys, girls can easily find relationships, but guys have a harder time. However, many Tech guys are pretty weird and nerdy so that evens the playing field a bit. I have met all of my closes friends though my sorority. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I definitely have a test the next day or a major assignment due. People party every weekend usually, and sometimes on Thursdays. Greek life is a great way to get involved in not just a brotherhood or a sisterhood, but other campus activities as well. There is a huge Greek population and we are a very connected and close knit group. Last weekend I went to a popular Mexican restaurant right off campus with a few of my sister and by boyfriend's brothers and then back to someone's house for a party. I went to church, worked out, and did homework. On a Saturday night, you can go to the nearby Atlantic Station to shop, eat and watch a movie. You can also go to concerts or athletic events because the Georgia Dome is within walking distance and the Atlanta Brave's also play nearby. You can go to the Aquarium, malls, or even the student center to play pool and bowl.

Georgia Tech students are generally viewed as anti-social nerds. However, we are also stereotyped to be very intelligent, hard working, and professional.

Tate

1. I have met very few sociable people who are not involved in Greek life or GT athletics. I am an engineering major, and there are only two sociable people other than me in my upper-level classes. 2. Again, if you were to walk into a random management class, you would certainly see attractive girls and normal-looking guys. On the other hand, I literally take pictures of the people in my classes and send them to people because they are so goofy. 3. There are not many girls period at Tech. There are probably twenty attractive girls who are athletes in the whole school. There are probably one hundred attractive sorority girls in the whole school. As far as bitchiness is concerned...well...girls are nice when they first come to Tech, but their ego's grow very quickly. By their second semester, most girls have boyfriends. If you're not an athlete or in a fraternity, just plan on going to Athens to meet girls. If you're a KA, EX, Beta, Fiji, ATO, or TKE, and you're one of the coolest guys in your fraternity, you'll get a lot of girls. If you're of average coolness, you'll get some girls. If you suck, you should go to Athens as well. 4. School is not that hard. It's what you make of it.

1. Everyone who is not in a fraternity/sorority or is not an athlete is a nerd. 2. Everyone who is not a Management major is a nerd. 3. There are very few attractive girls at Georgia Tech, and the girls who are attractive are very full of themselves. 4. School is unbearably difficult.

Parker

The best thing is the Degree. The one thing I would change would be for students rights being upheld, such as no tests during dead week(the weeks before finals), and no new material that will be tested over. Also, if you have an A, why should you have to take a final? And for that matter, what does a test really prove, just what you were able to do in an hour on a particular day. I wish there was another way of evaluating students. The school is just the right size, enough people to make you feel like your in a big school, but not too many. People always react like I'm some genious, but spend a week here and that will change your mind. I spend most of my time on campus, there is alot to do. It's not really a college town in the sense that Atlanta is not known for housing Georgia Tech. The administration seems to be more interested in their research and grad students, than helping their undergraduates. There is school pride, but not nearly enough as another school which shall not be named. All the complaints I have listed, everyone here is complianing about them.

-Yes, there are nerds here, most everyone is in their own little way, some just more than others, and here there are just more than other schools. To be honest, you will only see them in class, or on their way to class. -The ratio is horrible, and som

No, rarely do professors learn your name. Most of the class sizes, especially your first two years, are very large. My favorite class was ME 2110 Creative Decisions and Designs, there were no tests, you were given tasks and had to build contraptions to perform those tasks. There are too many to list for least favorite. Students study too much, its way to stressful. Class participation is not common, classes are too large. Always intellectual conversations outside of class. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. The academic requirements are high enough. It claims to be geared toward getting a job, but to me, its just about how well you can take a test, so unless your job requires tests, where you can only use what knowledge you have in your head, and no calculators, then its not preparing me very well.

-The people are nerds -There are no girls -The girls that are here have TBS(Tech B***h Syndrome) -The classes are hard -Population mainly asians and indians -Tech Goggles

Reese

The best thing about Georgia Tech is its reputation as a national leader in technological education and innovation. If I were to change one thing about Georgia Tech I would tell the students that unless you are in a very specific few fields (i.e. engineering, science) math skills are very overrated. Georgia Tech is a perfect size school, not too big and not too small. When I tell people that I went to Georgia Tech I get one of two reactions. The first being one of admiration for my accomplishment of graduating from a very difficult school, the second usually being a mocking comment asking me where my pocket protector is. Georgia Tech is not a place to attend if you are looking for a school that has lots of places to "hang out" most of the students that attend Tech spend their time studying or are involved in a fraternity/sorority. Atlanta is definitely not a college town, although there are many young people. What administration? There is a lot of school pride amongst a few students, other students could absolutely care less about the school because they do not like going there. Many of the students have a too cool attitude about school pride and choose to root for more popular local sports teams like UGA or Tennessee or Auburn. Georgia Tech is usual in its unusualness, everything about the place is strange when compared to other institutions of its size. I will always remember a friend of mine who got a D in a mid level economics class. My friend told the professor that he got an A in physics and that he understood math but that he just couldn't understand the course. The professors response was, "I'll tell you why you got an A in physics and are getting a D in my class, my class is harder than physics." Students complain about the grades that they get because they feel that they are entitled to higher grades without really having to work for them.

Most Georgia Tech students are from Atlanta or from Georgia somewhere. A person would feel out of place at Georgia Tech if they didn't enjoy studying and they didn't make friends easily.

Georgia Tech students are dorky in the traditional sense, but most of them do know how to have a good time. The typical Tech students idea of a good time might not fit into the normal definition of the phrase, but most students can find enjoyment in something.

Most professors do not know your name Most students study between 4 and 6 hours per day in total for all of their classes. Class participation is common for few students.

Greek organizations are pretty common, although maybe not so much for a southern school. There are many organizations for students to get involved in, either through their major or through various campus social groups. Athletic events are somewhat popular, but the students don't generally care about the teams. The athletic events are something to do that everyone can get in to.

The most prominent stereotypes about Georgia Tech students is that they dorky and don't know how to have a good time.

Scott

Georgia Tech really has a lot going for it, and I think the university is doing a lot to improve its image among its own students and perspective students. Due to its location on a prime plot of real estate, GT is constantly forced to pack a growing number of students in a very small space. I've heard horror stories of freshmen who have had to share a single-person dorm with three other students due to overcrowding, but the recent acquisition of the old Georgia State University dorms seems to have solved that problem. I saw the number of students in my major balloon as I went through school, which meant my classes kept getting larger and larger. As a senior, I imagined tiny seminar-style classes (like in movies), but even in my last semester I did not find myself in a class with less than 40 students. I really enjoyed living on Georgia Tech campus for 3 out of my 4.5 years there. Commuting to campus from an off-campus apartment in my senior year was fairly easy. Parking is expensive, but there were always spaces in my lot. There are quite a lot of people who live on GT campus -- especially Greeks and graduate students-- but a lot of freshmen go home on the weekends so things can slow down until Monday rolls around. When I was a freshman, it was trendy to complain about life at Georgia Tech: Classes suck, there are no women, there is no social scene, etc. As I went through each year, I noticed that people complained less and less as they found their niche and began fitting in with their social groups. But at the same time everyone was complaining, there was a tremendous amount of school pride on campus and at sporting events. It's pretty clear Georgia Tech is really trying to get rid of out-dated stereotypes. The population of women is rising quickly, there are a lot of options for students who don't want to study engineering or science, and the social scene is becoming more balanced. Looking back, I can see how Georgia Tech might not be known for its social scene. I went Greek, and so having something to do every weekend was no problem for me. I think a lot of the social scene at Georgia Tech revolves around the Greek system. If you really want to make the best of your time here, I would suggest finding a fraternity or sorority you feel comfortable joining and making the most of it. If you don't want to go that path, it's just important to get a group of friends, early in your first semester, whose company you enjoy and who will enhance your college experience in a positive way.

Georgia Tech has a very diverse student body. There are also a lot of international students from areas in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. Students of different backgrounds interacted fairly well, but there were certainly a lot of cliques. I thought the biggest social division was between "techies" and "non-techies." Just walking down the sidewalk you could see the divide fairly quickly, among both girls and guys. At the dining hall, people actually did enjoy interacting with their dorm-mates, and so there was a lot of ethical and social mixing. Even in my major I found myself interacting with a lot of different types of people. Most students at Georgia Tech are fairly apathetic and quite conservative when it comes to politics and other hot-button issues. There are definitely clubs to join if you want to voice your opinion on campus, but these groups tend not to make waves here compared to other campuses with a more liberal student population. Even though GT is a technical university, it's still in the Deep South. People who are vocal about their race, religion or sexual orientation do not have a huge influence on campus. While social clubs devoted to separating people by these characteristics had a large following, some of them did very little to reach out to the rest of the campus community -- except of course when there was a political, racial or sex-oriented controversy in the media. Most (60%) of GT students are from Georgia. Among these Georgia residents, there are people from a wide range of financial backgrounds on account of GT being a public school. Among out-of-state students, most seemed to be more financially "comfortable." From day one you could pick out the people who came here because of a sincere interest in advancing the technical world and those who came here in hopes of earning a high-paying job. In this way, there was a lot of obsession with becoming professionally and financially successful, but I liked it because it fostered a healthy level of competition.

There's really no denying that there is a propensity for the average Georgia Tech student to be interested in technology, and with that comes an interest in computer gaming and software programming. My personal experience was that as a freshman, thrown into a dorm with a whole bunch of guys I didn't know, that most of them were somewhat stereotypical. However, as I started getting into my classes and I began forming friendships with people who had similar interests as I (I don't play video games and I cannot program to save my life), I began to notice that there are a wide variety of personalities of men and women here. There are really a lot of people who don't fit the Georgia Tech stereotype who have a natural knack for science and math and who were drawn to Georgia Tech for a variety of reasons. By the time I graduated I found it difficult to really pin down the "stereotypical" Georgia Tech student. There are a lot of Georgia Tech students who are in non-science or engineering majors -- business (or management as it is called at GT) is one of the largest majors here.

Academics at Georgia Tech are extremely rigorous, to say the least. GPAs are very low for freshmen and sophomores; either students study a lot and they simply don't do well, or they study very little and they don't do well as a result. I think it's a combination of the two. There are certainly a lot of younger students who aren't used to the rigorous and competitive atmosphere at GT and so they underestimate what their professors and fellow classmates expect from them. I used to think doing well here was a function of the amount of work and studying I put in, but I quickly realized you can study for hours and hours and still bomb a test. Succeeding at Georgia Tech takes a lot of hard work AND a knack for knowing exactly what professors are looking for on exams and projects. It's also important to know where to go and who to talk to in order to find answers to the tough questions. I majored in biomedical engineering, which was one of the most rigorous majors at Tech and seemed to have the greatest number of overachievers (pre-meds). I thought I was hot stuff in high school, but when I came to Tech, I could barely scrounge an above-average grade on even an "easy" exam. Things got much better as I started getting into my major classes and as I learned "the system," but classes were still challenging up to the end. Ostensibly, it would seem like Georgia Tech students work together on homeworks and projects and studying because they're "all in the same boat", in that most people study a difficult major. But in reality, while there is a lot of camaraderie in academics, people are still very competitive and they will do whatever is needed to ace the class and get a recommendation letter from the professor. That's life. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the undergraduate research opportunities at Georgia Tech. It was a good way for me to use my coursework for a real-world application, and I would recommend it to anyone. My major didn't allow me to take too many electives without prolonging graduation, but I took one great class on the history of city planning in the school of Architecture. The professor, D. Allen, was probably the most engaging teacher of any class I took. Most of the other professors were approachable, but I wouldn't quite go so far as to call many of them "welcoming." They answered questions and held open office hours, but many of them also headed research labs and so you could tell teaching undergraduates was not a top priority. But many took the time to prepare thoughtful lessons and offered to stay after class to answer questions. I remember one professor in particular, R. Gleason, who used to stay with a group of four or five of us for at least 20 minutes after every class to answer When I came to college, I expected lounging at a coffee shop, discussing politics and other world issues with my coffee-drinking college buddies. Don't we all expect something like that? The reality is much different. It was rare that I had intellectual conversations with anyone but my closest friends. But as I visited friends from other schools, I noticed they didn't really live out my fantasy either. I can't exactly blame Georgia Tech for this. That said, if you love talking about computers, there's always someone to converse with. The education at Georgia Tech is definitely geared toward getting a job as opposed to going to graduate or medical school. There were monthly career fairs and a huge cooperative education office (Google it). But that's not to say it's impossible to go to graduate school from Tech, it's just a little more difficult because the GPAs tend to be lower.

I personally had no problem with GT's social scene, but I went Greek. Now that I compare my social life at Tech with my friends who did not go Greek, I see a pretty stark divide. It's just a matter of making the best of what you have here. I had a lot of friends outside of my fraternity, but most of my closest friends were from my chapter. I went Greek in the first two weeks of my freshmen year so I was out of the dorm quite a bit, but the times I was there, everyone was very social and friendly. People were interested in getting to know each other, which I really liked. As for parties, it's very rare that a party will come knocking at your door. Either you have to create it yourself or seek it out. At least two or three fraternities had parties every weekend, but in four+ years at Georgia Tech I went to less than a dozen large on-campus dorm or apartment parties. There is a big neighborhood right off Tech campus comprising mostly off-campus housing for upperclassmen. There's usually a few smaller parties every weekend there. If you are 21 and you like going to bars, there are not many within walking distance of campus. Having a car to drive to social events is a requisite. There is a lot of drinking on campus. And by a lot I mean it's hard to find people who choose not to drink. I've heard Georgia Tech has a "binge drinking" problem, but I'm pretty sure every college campus has a "binge drinking" problem. That said, there are actually a good number of campus-sponsored events on weeknights and weekdays that don't involve drinking. Intramural sports is popular at Tech. The rest of the clubs have medium to low visibility on campus. Athletic events are fun -- being a Division 1A school, there is a huge emphasis on athletics, which I think a good bit (but not all) of the students took a liking to. Some students were completely apathetic to sporting events. The two biggest traditions here are Homecoming and Greek Week. Both are week-long events filled with friendly competitions, a parade, and a variety of campus-sponsored parties. Greek Week is just like Homecoming but reserved for the Greek community. Events like this were very fun for me, but had a hand in contributing to the ever-growing division between Greeks and non-Greeks at Tech. Georgia Tech does not take Homecoming as seriously as other universities. In fact, Homecoming is almost a non-event for a lot of people. Georgia Tech really benefits from its urban location in midtown Atlanta. The university did an excellent job of providing students with a relaxing, secluded atmosphere within a bustling metropolis. There is always something going on in Atlanta -- from live concerts to museum exhibits to shopping and sporting events -- and there was never a dull moment if you wanted to get away from your studies for a while.

Georgia Tech is a large university geared toward technical studies like science and engineering, and so the students here are considered to be fairly "nerdy" or "geeky" by people unfamiliar with the student body. There is an old saying about Georgia Tech males (who make up 65-70% of the student body), that "the odds are good, but the goods are odd." There are a lot of folks who think Georgia Tech men and women like to be huddled in their room, playing video games and writing computer programs. Also, there is a stereotype that Georgia Tech women are unattractive, or, at best, "cute." One prevailing myth is that everyone at Georgia Tech studies engineering, which is not even close to being true.

Devin

There is something at Georgia Tech for everyone, no matter who you are. Georgia Tech is just right. People usually start making fun of us because of our football team or that are school is too hard. I spend most of my time on campus either in class or at the Student Center. Atlanta is definetly not a college town. I like the administration at Georgia Tech. There is nothing unusual about Georgia Tech. I'll always remember coming here for Freshmen Orientation and walking around campus for the first time and meeting all the people that I would spend the next four years with. The most frequent complaints are about the housing and freshmen dorms and about the dining hall food which is not up to par.

My experience with most other groups has been minimal. Occasionally, we see rallies or protests from one of them, but thats it. I honestly don't know who would feel out of place, but my best guess would be someone who is just looking to party all day and doesn't want to do any work. Most students wear very casual clothes, such as basketball shorts, sweatpants, t-shirts, and hoodies. Yes, different types of students interact. One table has all the athletes, one has all the freshmen and their PL's, one has the students who are upperclassmen, and then there is one table with the people that are anti-social and don't talk to anyone. Most Georgia Tech students are from within Georgia. Most students have solid financial backgrounds and are middle class. Students are politically aware and active. I don't know which side students favor politically. Yes, students talk about how much money they will make one day, but who doesn't?

To some extent they are, but they are not representative of ALL students at Georgia Tech. There always people that will fall into these stereotypes, but they are a great number that do not.

Some professors know my name, but it depends on the class and the size of it. My favorite class this semester is my Clinical Research Practicum class. We learn about clinical research and perform clinical studies for 8 hours a week in the Grady Hospital ECC. Least favorite class is my Circuits lab. Students study about 10 hours a week. No, class participation is not common. Yes, Georgia Tech students have intellectual conversations outside of class. We may study a lot, but we know whats going on in the world. Students here are very competitive. My most unique class had to be my English II class. My major is Biomedical Engineering and I love my major. My major is very young and therefore the department is still being developed and refined. I do spend time with professors outside of class. I think the academic requirements at Tech are a little too stringent, but it helps to push students to do their best. Education at Georgia Tech is geared towards getting a job and passing entrance exams.

Greek Life is huge on campus, so all the fraternities and sororities are big. Other popular groups are India Club, honor societies and service groups. I'm involved with a group called M&M mentoring and it involves upperclassmen mentoring underclassmen within their majors on what classes to take, what mistakes to avoid, what professors to take, etc. Students in dorms do leave their doors open. Football is very popular here along with basketball. Guest speakers are mildy popular and theater is very unpopular. The dating scene is HUGE and couples can be seen everywhere. I met my closest friends by joining my fraternity, Sigma Beta Rho. I'm usually studying or watching tv or hanging out with friends at 2 am. We have a pi mile run every year, we have greek week, homecoming, campus wide community service events, lock ins in the student center and gym. People party whenever they are free, so at least once a week. Fraternities and Sororities are very important on campus. I went to UGA last weekend for a cultural show. We can go see a play at the Fox, go out to eat, watch a movie, play sports, hang out and talk, play video games, study, explore Atlanta, go to the aquarium or park, or go to another college, such as Emory or Georgia State. We do everything offered to us off campus, we watch movies, eat out, meet friends at other schools, travel, road trip, etc.

All Tech students are nerdy All Tech students just play video games all day No one at Tech knows how to socialize Everyone at Tech just studies all day

Martha

I think the best thing about Tech is the location. We are in the heart of Atlanta. Coming from a small town in RI i love to explore whenever I have the opportunity. For me the campus is the right size and the city is right next door.

Being an out lesbian on campus I have found Tech is very accepting to different social and racial backgrounds. At Tech I believe all students are accepted on campus.

Yes this school is mainly boys and yes we are smarter than the average bear, but we also have fun and enjoy the city. With hundreds of student organizations to join every student has the opportunity to explore an interest of their own.

Tech is a hard school. The classes are challenging but the reward is great. Having a degree from Tech looks better in the eyes of future bosses then a local/state university.

One of largest groups on campus is CCF. However the group consitst of a large verity of the students on campus. Athletics are very popular for most students. Football and basketball are the most attended sports.

Georgia Tech's student body is mainly males. With the ratio currently at 3:1 (males to females) it is highly encougred to attend Tech and be female. While engineering and technical fields are mainly male orriented fields females do hold positions and just as much interest in the field as a male can. Tech is a smart school with the average entering class SAT score on average 1200 or higher.

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.