Atlanta, GA
Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

Martha

I think the best thing about Tech is the location. We are in the heart of Atlanta. Coming from a small town in RI i love to explore whenever I have the opportunity. For me the campus is the right size and the city is right next door.

Being an out lesbian on campus I have found Tech is very accepting to different social and racial backgrounds. At Tech I believe all students are accepted on campus.

Yes this school is mainly boys and yes we are smarter than the average bear, but we also have fun and enjoy the city. With hundreds of student organizations to join every student has the opportunity to explore an interest of their own.

Tech is a hard school. The classes are challenging but the reward is great. Having a degree from Tech looks better in the eyes of future bosses then a local/state university.

One of largest groups on campus is CCF. However the group consitst of a large verity of the students on campus. Athletics are very popular for most students. Football and basketball are the most attended sports.

Georgia Tech's student body is mainly males. With the ratio currently at 3:1 (males to females) it is highly encougred to attend Tech and be female. While engineering and technical fields are mainly male orriented fields females do hold positions and just as much interest in the field as a male can. Tech is a smart school with the average entering class SAT score on average 1200 or higher.

Jason

As far as school size is concerned, I'd say Tech was perfect. It's not huge, but just large enough for you to generally remain anonymous walking around campus, but you would still run into a friend not too uncommonly. While living in the dorms, I spent most of the time in my room/friends' rooms and the dining hall. After moving off campus, most of the time I wasn't in the College of Architecture I spent in the student center, but I ate at Junior's Grill frequently. The administration seems to be the butt of a lot of complaints, but it's not really that bad in my opinion. Whenever we feel we've been screwed over by a professor, Parking, the administration, or Georgia Tech in general, we say we'd been "Shafted" in reference to one of the biggest icons around campus, the fountain right outside the student center.

You are sitting at the dining hall eating with friends. One table over is a group of males eating and holding some sort of nerdy/intellectual conversation. The next table contains more males from some fraternity. The next table is another group of males, but this time with one or two females in the group, following every bit and keeping up with the males in their nerdy/intellectual discussion, if not leading the group. One table over, someone is typing away furiosly on a laptop over a WiFi connection, either checking fantasy scores or talking on AIM. At the next table, some people have hooked up a television and Game Cube and are playing Smash Brothers Melee. In the corner of the room, someone is sitting quietly studying or writing a paper, again with a laptop on the table in front of them. Meanwhile, back at my table, Scott is standing on the table driving around a remote control car that he has duck-taped inside a Cheerios box, having cut out four holes for the wheels. Andy is trying to trick people into eating styrofoam by cutting a plate into slices and calling it a "pie." Some people are waiting in line because the guy who cooks the pasta is back from break, or this is the morning they cook blueberry pancakes and bacon. Some people are standing around amused at the Cheerios box which is weaving through tables and people, while the lady who swipes buzzcards at the door is giving us the evil eye because she recognizes we are the group that always trys to take way more than one desert from the tray on the way out the door. I've met all kinds of people at Georgia Tech, but the largest minority groups around campus are Asians and Indians. Politically, I was quickly surprised to find the middle ground was further right than I expected. Sure its Georgia, but I'd come to expect the stereotype of major universities as far left havens. Though actually, It is a very laid back environment. Political conversations come up just as often as another other subject, but its often about a particular candidate, and people seem to have a pretty open mind, at least among the friends I made at Tech. "Party of bad ideas vs. the party of no ideas," as a friend recently put it. Extreme Liberals and Conservatives can of course be found among the student body, and there are clubs and groups for those seeking to get involved. Mitt Romney and Obama have recently campaigned on campus.

Do professors know your name? That depends on the class. The largest lecture I ever had had 203 people in it, but every semester I took a class where I was 1 of 12. That allows you to be very personal if you choose to be with your professors. I say if you choose to be because it's up to you whether you visit their office or see them after class or not. This is regardless of class size. Also, after years of classes, you start to know the admins and professors of your college, whether you took a class with them or not. While walking around the College of Architecture, I came to recognize about as many professors as I did students. One thing you have to realize about Georgia Tech is it quite often takes students longer than 4 years to finish undergraduate studies. It took me an extra fall semester, and the same is true for many of my friends. A lot more are still there this spring. Classes are very challenging, and quite often people take minimum hours to be considered a full time student, making it take additional semesters. A poor freshman or sophomore year from the shock of the difficult classes could set you behind a little, or perhaps you changed majors halfway through. Intellectual conversations of all types can be heard outside classes. My closest friends aren't within the college of architecture, but are engineers. Very often my CS friend would come home excited about some practical aplication of some theory he just learned about, or my EE friend would show off some new "toy." Being the only Architect among the group, I shared my knowledge whenever the course of conversation led to such discussions of buildings and city planning. Recently I half guided some friends through a famous house we visited that I had learned about but had never been to.

There are many clubs and groups around campus. I've been playing on a roller hockey team that operates as a club most every semester I went to school at Tech. I often see groups of people playing chess at the student center. There is an open-door policy which has great atmosphere among freshman halls. This is where I made my friends early on freshman year. At 2 am on really any night of the week, I was next door in my friend Andy's room, either watching a movie, eating, playing a game, or making smoothies, and often all of the above. Another way to do it is to join a fraternity. My freshman roommate did this, and I rarely saw him, but they let him move into the house the 2nd semester. People also commonly become best friends with the people among their major. There is often a distinction made between a drinking school and a party school. Tech is often referred to as the former. Rather than go to a party, we just host gatherings of "the usual crowd drinking." Whether you call it s small party or just hanging out, as we all turned 21, and had a house to ourselves rather than living in the dorms, these grew in frequency to about every other weekend among my group before the novelty eventually wore off. If your looking for a party, or a great place to rent a house while you go to school, Home Park (north of campus) is the place to be. Being at the Heart of Downtown Atlanta, there is no shortage of things for young people to do. Bars, Clubs, concerts, food, karaoke, professional sports games, whatever you want is at your disposal. Only being on the scene for a little over 4 years, its amazing I run into so many people I know in a place as large as Atlanta. Once I was at the Sweetwater Brewery, where I ran into a friend from Arch Studio. Later I was playing pool at some bar I'd never been to, and ran into the same guy! We once flagged down a friend driving who was driving on West Peachtree and a agreed on a place to go. Frequenting ska concerts, you meet the same types of people, and just last night we ran into someone we knew while eating at Mid City Cafe.

The only Stereotype I can think of is that we're all nerds.

Andrea

The best thing about Georgia Tech is the fact that it is in Atlanta. The college campus is big enough where you could get lost in the crowd but small enough to get to know a lot of people in your major. People's reaction when I say I go to Georgia Tech is always positive and usually say something like 'Oh you must be smart.' Most of my time I spend on campus is around the student center, at my job on campus, and at Barnes and Noble. It is definitely not a college town, it is a campus in the middle of the city, sometimes called a sort of 'bubble.' It feels disconnected to the rest of the city but at the same time close enough. I believe the administration on Georgia Tech's campus is positive. I see that Georgia Tech is always out to help the students and they try at all costs to make them happy. There is a lot of school pride on campus and the games are usually well attended. The unusual part of Georgia Tech is that there are a lot of different cultures on campus. You can get on a bus and hear three different languages on the way to math class. I will always remember Sting Break , which happens right before spring break, and is full of fun and an amazing concert featuring artists like T.I., Ludacris and Big Boi. The biggest student complaint is probably the amount of work that is left to the students and the stress that it causes especially around exams.

I am part of Hispanic as well as women organizations on campus. There are many organizations on campus that deal with every subject and every interest. Most students don't really care what they wear to class and you rarely find anyone dressed up or with make up on. Georgia Tech students are very interested in learning and not so much in their appearance. Different students tend to interact but in general they tend to find their own niches based on social or ethnic groups. Most Georgia Tech students are from middle to upper middle class families where education has been enforced and encouraged since very young. They tend to either be from Georgia or from the North East. Students are very politically aware on campus and there are various activities on Skiles Walkway that help show their politically activism. Students here are usually in the center. Students always talk about the fact that they will earn a lot of money coming out of college because they have en engineering degree from Georgia Tech.

Some people do stay in on weekends, but they chose to. Atlanta is a big city with lots of bars and restaurants. I see even the more quiet people go out.

Since I'm in the school of Liberal Arts, most of my professors know my name. I love my Marketing classes and I always feel a sense of encouragement from them academically. Georgia Tech is very unique in that I hear people talk about calculus and physics problems over lunch and hold very intellectual conversations all the time. The most unique class I have taken was called Environment Ecocritic which dealt with the issue of the way things in the environment are placed and how that effects our everyday life. My major, STAC, is one of the most unique majors and the most flexible. I study classes anything from Literature to media to philosophy. I know my counselor by name and most of my teachers. I spend time with my professors outside of class through research and through the different organizations in which they participate.The requirement at Georgia Tech are very strenuous, time consuming, and difficult. The education at Georgia Tech is highly geared toward getting a job and companies from major corporations on campus are here many times a month and hire Georgia Tech students over other universities because of the quality of the student.

I'm part of SGA and this is an important group on campus that helps decide what happens around campus. People in the freshman dorms usually are most social than in the apartments. Athletic events are quite popular on campus but theater is not. The dating scene here is different because of the 3 to 1 ratio of guys to girls. The guys usually have more trouble finding girls than girls do because of the ratio. My closest friends were actually met at Freshman orientation. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm usually studying for a test the next day or working on a project. People usually part on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Fraternities usually are the places that underclassmen party until they turn 21 and can go more around Atlanta. Last weekend I went to Piedmont park and studied outside for a few hours and went out the movies. On a Saturday night there are many restaurants of all different types around Atlanta and there is Atlantic Station that is 5 min away that has shopping and movie theater that is a good hangout spot. On campus I would probably just hang out with friends and watch movies inside or just socialize.

That we are all nerdy with no social skills, stay in on weekends, and study all the time.

Ash

Georgia Tech is great. It welcomed me from the types of values I developed in high school. It also showed what alcoholism is like. You cannot being in Atlanta if you are going to a big town school in the south. We need a better football team and basketball team, but all of our other sports are amazing. #1 in tennis, golf, cross country, etc...

Very diverse - not black and white but international. Greek life is more homogeneous.

The girls are either extemely nice or are just plain bitches - no offense to anyone.

It is tough and we are all dorks from our high schools, but we party hard and get paid in the end.

You are a letter on a grade book but you learn a hell of a lot.

Greeks. People drink for fun - it's the weekend. People do math and write code for fun - it's not the weekend.

It's tough. Nothing but computer science people. All of those dorks from your high school.

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.