Atlanta, GA
Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

Jerry

These stereotypes are not accurate at all. In fact, life at GT is exactly the opposite. If you are involved with campus activities, not only will you get a fun-filled educational learning experience, but you will also have the time of your life!

The academics at the College of Computing (CoC) at Georgia Tech are one of the top in the world. From the very first introduction to programming course to the most advanced databases courses, the professors are very dedicated and they love seeing their students learn. As a teaching assistant, as well as a student, I can honestly say that I have seen the entire spectrum. Students love to learn, and you will never have a non-intelligent conversation, all the while not even realizing what a fun time you are having! Moreover, the faculty are very approachable, and they are always participating in various events for student organizations in the CoC. The education you receive for the price you pay is more than worth it. The career fairs never fail to bring in Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, HP, Cisco, and many other Fortune 500 companies. You are guaranteed success just by going attending here and showing how much you have learned!

People claim that GT students do not really have a life outside of studying, and that they are not confident in themselves.

Nicki

The best thing about Georgia Tech is being around people who are very similar to myself and understand why I work so hard and challenge myself. Probably the only thing I would change about my school would be having more professors who do not have heavy accents. The size of Georgia Tech is perfect - it is large enough to where I do not know everyone and can always make friends, yet I will generally know one or two people in each of my classes fairly well and recognize a few others. Because I am a girl, I feel when people find out I am a Georgia Tech student, they are surprised yet impressed and suddenly treat me with more respect. I spend most of my time in my sorority house on campus. I love that Georgia Tech is in the middle of Atlanta because there is always something going on outside of campus and anything you would want to do is easily accessible. Also, the job market in Atlanta is amazing. I am always impressed by Georgia Tech's administration because they are always on top of everything. I would say there is a good bit of school pride - not so much that it is over the top and obnoxious but still bonding and exciting. One experience that I will always remember from college was last summer when I studied abroad with Georgia Tech in Beijing and Singapore. It has truly changed me forever. I think the most frequent student complaint is about the difficulty level at Georgia Tech.

I attend a Greek Bible study and am in a sorority. I think someone who is artsy and less engineering minded would feel out of place at Georgia Tech. Students wear jeans and t-shirts to class. Yes, different types of students interact though group projects. If there were four tables in the dinning hall, they would all be filled with freshman, because after your first year you never want to eat there again. One would probably have Greek students, two would be filled with random groups of friends, and the other would have people sitting alone doing studying or reading books. Most GT students are from Georgia or at least the south. Most students are from the upper class, but there are a fair amount from the middle class and very few from the lower class. Most students are too politically active and I think we are pretty even across the political view spectrum. Yes, students talk alot about how much they will be making when they get out - I think the average is around $55,000 a year, so that is really nice.

They are to some extent. I would say Georgia Tech has its fair share of anti-social nerds, but we also have a large population of outgoing, very involved students who care about aspects of life besides grades.

No, professors do not usually know your name. My favorite class is Operations Management because we get to look at all aspects of my major, Industrial Engineering, so I find it very interesting. My least favorite class was a computer science class because I hate coding. Students study all of the time. I would say I spend at least 20 hours a week studying. Class participation is not common in engineering classes. One of the things I love about Georgia Tech are the intellectual conversations I have with almost everyone outside of class. There is a small bit of competitiveness, but it is usually everyone against the professor. Almost everyone is willing to help others out in class. The most unique class I have taken was a history of China class that I took while studying abroad in Singapore. I had never learned so much about another country before, and it really opened my eyes to how others live and think in different parts of the world. My major is Industrial Engineering and Georgia Tech is considered the best school in the nation in Industrial Engineering. The curriculum is awesome because you can focus on logistics, manufacturing, quality control, etc. or you can just take an assortment of classes from the department. Our senior design is extremely challenging because you work with a real client, such as Red Bull or UPS, and fix a problem or design a new system for some portion of their business. No, I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I really like our academic requirements. Georgia Tech definitely trains you for you career.

Greek life is very popular on Georgia Tech's campus. I am involved with Alpha Gamma Delta as the Vice President of Member Development. It has taught me about leadership, organization, and professionalism. I believe that going Greek was one of the best choices I have made thus far in college. Almost all other student organizations are made up of Greeks. No, students do not usually leave their doors open. Football games are extremely popular, but basketball and baseball games are only mildly popular. Guest speakers and theater are not very popular. The dating scene for girls: "the odds are good, but the goods are odd." Because there is only one girl for every 4 guys, girls can easily find relationships, but guys have a harder time. However, many Tech guys are pretty weird and nerdy so that evens the playing field a bit. I have met all of my closes friends though my sorority. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I definitely have a test the next day or a major assignment due. People party every weekend usually, and sometimes on Thursdays. Greek life is a great way to get involved in not just a brotherhood or a sisterhood, but other campus activities as well. There is a huge Greek population and we are a very connected and close knit group. Last weekend I went to a popular Mexican restaurant right off campus with a few of my sister and by boyfriend's brothers and then back to someone's house for a party. I went to church, worked out, and did homework. On a Saturday night, you can go to the nearby Atlantic Station to shop, eat and watch a movie. You can also go to concerts or athletic events because the Georgia Dome is within walking distance and the Atlanta Brave's also play nearby. You can go to the Aquarium, malls, or even the student center to play pool and bowl.

Georgia Tech students are generally viewed as anti-social nerds. However, we are also stereotyped to be very intelligent, hard working, and professional.

Tate

1. I have met very few sociable people who are not involved in Greek life or GT athletics. I am an engineering major, and there are only two sociable people other than me in my upper-level classes. 2. Again, if you were to walk into a random management class, you would certainly see attractive girls and normal-looking guys. On the other hand, I literally take pictures of the people in my classes and send them to people because they are so goofy. 3. There are not many girls period at Tech. There are probably twenty attractive girls who are athletes in the whole school. There are probably one hundred attractive sorority girls in the whole school. As far as bitchiness is concerned...well...girls are nice when they first come to Tech, but their ego's grow very quickly. By their second semester, most girls have boyfriends. If you're not an athlete or in a fraternity, just plan on going to Athens to meet girls. If you're a KA, EX, Beta, Fiji, ATO, or TKE, and you're one of the coolest guys in your fraternity, you'll get a lot of girls. If you're of average coolness, you'll get some girls. If you suck, you should go to Athens as well. 4. School is not that hard. It's what you make of it.

1. Everyone who is not in a fraternity/sorority or is not an athlete is a nerd. 2. Everyone who is not a Management major is a nerd. 3. There are very few attractive girls at Georgia Tech, and the girls who are attractive are very full of themselves. 4. School is unbearably difficult.

Parker

The best thing is the Degree. The one thing I would change would be for students rights being upheld, such as no tests during dead week(the weeks before finals), and no new material that will be tested over. Also, if you have an A, why should you have to take a final? And for that matter, what does a test really prove, just what you were able to do in an hour on a particular day. I wish there was another way of evaluating students. The school is just the right size, enough people to make you feel like your in a big school, but not too many. People always react like I'm some genious, but spend a week here and that will change your mind. I spend most of my time on campus, there is alot to do. It's not really a college town in the sense that Atlanta is not known for housing Georgia Tech. The administration seems to be more interested in their research and grad students, than helping their undergraduates. There is school pride, but not nearly enough as another school which shall not be named. All the complaints I have listed, everyone here is complianing about them.

-Yes, there are nerds here, most everyone is in their own little way, some just more than others, and here there are just more than other schools. To be honest, you will only see them in class, or on their way to class. -The ratio is horrible, and som

No, rarely do professors learn your name. Most of the class sizes, especially your first two years, are very large. My favorite class was ME 2110 Creative Decisions and Designs, there were no tests, you were given tasks and had to build contraptions to perform those tasks. There are too many to list for least favorite. Students study too much, its way to stressful. Class participation is not common, classes are too large. Always intellectual conversations outside of class. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. The academic requirements are high enough. It claims to be geared toward getting a job, but to me, its just about how well you can take a test, so unless your job requires tests, where you can only use what knowledge you have in your head, and no calculators, then its not preparing me very well.

-The people are nerds -There are no girls -The girls that are here have TBS(Tech B***h Syndrome) -The classes are hard -Population mainly asians and indians -Tech Goggles

Reese

The best thing about Georgia Tech is its reputation as a national leader in technological education and innovation. If I were to change one thing about Georgia Tech I would tell the students that unless you are in a very specific few fields (i.e. engineering, science) math skills are very overrated. Georgia Tech is a perfect size school, not too big and not too small. When I tell people that I went to Georgia Tech I get one of two reactions. The first being one of admiration for my accomplishment of graduating from a very difficult school, the second usually being a mocking comment asking me where my pocket protector is. Georgia Tech is not a place to attend if you are looking for a school that has lots of places to "hang out" most of the students that attend Tech spend their time studying or are involved in a fraternity/sorority. Atlanta is definitely not a college town, although there are many young people. What administration? There is a lot of school pride amongst a few students, other students could absolutely care less about the school because they do not like going there. Many of the students have a too cool attitude about school pride and choose to root for more popular local sports teams like UGA or Tennessee or Auburn. Georgia Tech is usual in its unusualness, everything about the place is strange when compared to other institutions of its size. I will always remember a friend of mine who got a D in a mid level economics class. My friend told the professor that he got an A in physics and that he understood math but that he just couldn't understand the course. The professors response was, "I'll tell you why you got an A in physics and are getting a D in my class, my class is harder than physics." Students complain about the grades that they get because they feel that they are entitled to higher grades without really having to work for them.

Most Georgia Tech students are from Atlanta or from Georgia somewhere. A person would feel out of place at Georgia Tech if they didn't enjoy studying and they didn't make friends easily.

Georgia Tech students are dorky in the traditional sense, but most of them do know how to have a good time. The typical Tech students idea of a good time might not fit into the normal definition of the phrase, but most students can find enjoyment in something.

Most professors do not know your name Most students study between 4 and 6 hours per day in total for all of their classes. Class participation is common for few students.

Greek organizations are pretty common, although maybe not so much for a southern school. There are many organizations for students to get involved in, either through their major or through various campus social groups. Athletic events are somewhat popular, but the students don't generally care about the teams. The athletic events are something to do that everyone can get in to.

The most prominent stereotypes about Georgia Tech students is that they dorky and don't know how to have a good time.

Scott

Georgia Tech really has a lot going for it, and I think the university is doing a lot to improve its image among its own students and perspective students. Due to its location on a prime plot of real estate, GT is constantly forced to pack a growing number of students in a very small space. I've heard horror stories of freshmen who have had to share a single-person dorm with three other students due to overcrowding, but the recent acquisition of the old Georgia State University dorms seems to have solved that problem. I saw the number of students in my major balloon as I went through school, which meant my classes kept getting larger and larger. As a senior, I imagined tiny seminar-style classes (like in movies), but even in my last semester I did not find myself in a class with less than 40 students. I really enjoyed living on Georgia Tech campus for 3 out of my 4.5 years there. Commuting to campus from an off-campus apartment in my senior year was fairly easy. Parking is expensive, but there were always spaces in my lot. There are quite a lot of people who live on GT campus -- especially Greeks and graduate students-- but a lot of freshmen go home on the weekends so things can slow down until Monday rolls around. When I was a freshman, it was trendy to complain about life at Georgia Tech: Classes suck, there are no women, there is no social scene, etc. As I went through each year, I noticed that people complained less and less as they found their niche and began fitting in with their social groups. But at the same time everyone was complaining, there was a tremendous amount of school pride on campus and at sporting events. It's pretty clear Georgia Tech is really trying to get rid of out-dated stereotypes. The population of women is rising quickly, there are a lot of options for students who don't want to study engineering or science, and the social scene is becoming more balanced. Looking back, I can see how Georgia Tech might not be known for its social scene. I went Greek, and so having something to do every weekend was no problem for me. I think a lot of the social scene at Georgia Tech revolves around the Greek system. If you really want to make the best of your time here, I would suggest finding a fraternity or sorority you feel comfortable joining and making the most of it. If you don't want to go that path, it's just important to get a group of friends, early in your first semester, whose company you enjoy and who will enhance your college experience in a positive way.

Georgia Tech has a very diverse student body. There are also a lot of international students from areas in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. Students of different backgrounds interacted fairly well, but there were certainly a lot of cliques. I thought the biggest social division was between "techies" and "non-techies." Just walking down the sidewalk you could see the divide fairly quickly, among both girls and guys. At the dining hall, people actually did enjoy interacting with their dorm-mates, and so there was a lot of ethical and social mixing. Even in my major I found myself interacting with a lot of different types of people. Most students at Georgia Tech are fairly apathetic and quite conservative when it comes to politics and other hot-button issues. There are definitely clubs to join if you want to voice your opinion on campus, but these groups tend not to make waves here compared to other campuses with a more liberal student population. Even though GT is a technical university, it's still in the Deep South. People who are vocal about their race, religion or sexual orientation do not have a huge influence on campus. While social clubs devoted to separating people by these characteristics had a large following, some of them did very little to reach out to the rest of the campus community -- except of course when there was a political, racial or sex-oriented controversy in the media. Most (60%) of GT students are from Georgia. Among these Georgia residents, there are people from a wide range of financial backgrounds on account of GT being a public school. Among out-of-state students, most seemed to be more financially "comfortable." From day one you could pick out the people who came here because of a sincere interest in advancing the technical world and those who came here in hopes of earning a high-paying job. In this way, there was a lot of obsession with becoming professionally and financially successful, but I liked it because it fostered a healthy level of competition.

There's really no denying that there is a propensity for the average Georgia Tech student to be interested in technology, and with that comes an interest in computer gaming and software programming. My personal experience was that as a freshman, thrown into a dorm with a whole bunch of guys I didn't know, that most of them were somewhat stereotypical. However, as I started getting into my classes and I began forming friendships with people who had similar interests as I (I don't play video games and I cannot program to save my life), I began to notice that there are a wide variety of personalities of men and women here. There are really a lot of people who don't fit the Georgia Tech stereotype who have a natural knack for science and math and who were drawn to Georgia Tech for a variety of reasons. By the time I graduated I found it difficult to really pin down the "stereotypical" Georgia Tech student. There are a lot of Georgia Tech students who are in non-science or engineering majors -- business (or management as it is called at GT) is one of the largest majors here.

Academics at Georgia Tech are extremely rigorous, to say the least. GPAs are very low for freshmen and sophomores; either students study a lot and they simply don't do well, or they study very little and they don't do well as a result. I think it's a combination of the two. There are certainly a lot of younger students who aren't used to the rigorous and competitive atmosphere at GT and so they underestimate what their professors and fellow classmates expect from them. I used to think doing well here was a function of the amount of work and studying I put in, but I quickly realized you can study for hours and hours and still bomb a test. Succeeding at Georgia Tech takes a lot of hard work AND a knack for knowing exactly what professors are looking for on exams and projects. It's also important to know where to go and who to talk to in order to find answers to the tough questions. I majored in biomedical engineering, which was one of the most rigorous majors at Tech and seemed to have the greatest number of overachievers (pre-meds). I thought I was hot stuff in high school, but when I came to Tech, I could barely scrounge an above-average grade on even an "easy" exam. Things got much better as I started getting into my major classes and as I learned "the system," but classes were still challenging up to the end. Ostensibly, it would seem like Georgia Tech students work together on homeworks and projects and studying because they're "all in the same boat", in that most people study a difficult major. But in reality, while there is a lot of camaraderie in academics, people are still very competitive and they will do whatever is needed to ace the class and get a recommendation letter from the professor. That's life. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the undergraduate research opportunities at Georgia Tech. It was a good way for me to use my coursework for a real-world application, and I would recommend it to anyone. My major didn't allow me to take too many electives without prolonging graduation, but I took one great class on the history of city planning in the school of Architecture. The professor, D. Allen, was probably the most engaging teacher of any class I took. Most of the other professors were approachable, but I wouldn't quite go so far as to call many of them "welcoming." They answered questions and held open office hours, but many of them also headed research labs and so you could tell teaching undergraduates was not a top priority. But many took the time to prepare thoughtful lessons and offered to stay after class to answer questions. I remember one professor in particular, R. Gleason, who used to stay with a group of four or five of us for at least 20 minutes after every class to answer When I came to college, I expected lounging at a coffee shop, discussing politics and other world issues with my coffee-drinking college buddies. Don't we all expect something like that? The reality is much different. It was rare that I had intellectual conversations with anyone but my closest friends. But as I visited friends from other schools, I noticed they didn't really live out my fantasy either. I can't exactly blame Georgia Tech for this. That said, if you love talking about computers, there's always someone to converse with. The education at Georgia Tech is definitely geared toward getting a job as opposed to going to graduate or medical school. There were monthly career fairs and a huge cooperative education office (Google it). But that's not to say it's impossible to go to graduate school from Tech, it's just a little more difficult because the GPAs tend to be lower.

I personally had no problem with GT's social scene, but I went Greek. Now that I compare my social life at Tech with my friends who did not go Greek, I see a pretty stark divide. It's just a matter of making the best of what you have here. I had a lot of friends outside of my fraternity, but most of my closest friends were from my chapter. I went Greek in the first two weeks of my freshmen year so I was out of the dorm quite a bit, but the times I was there, everyone was very social and friendly. People were interested in getting to know each other, which I really liked. As for parties, it's very rare that a party will come knocking at your door. Either you have to create it yourself or seek it out. At least two or three fraternities had parties every weekend, but in four+ years at Georgia Tech I went to less than a dozen large on-campus dorm or apartment parties. There is a big neighborhood right off Tech campus comprising mostly off-campus housing for upperclassmen. There's usually a few smaller parties every weekend there. If you are 21 and you like going to bars, there are not many within walking distance of campus. Having a car to drive to social events is a requisite. There is a lot of drinking on campus. And by a lot I mean it's hard to find people who choose not to drink. I've heard Georgia Tech has a "binge drinking" problem, but I'm pretty sure every college campus has a "binge drinking" problem. That said, there are actually a good number of campus-sponsored events on weeknights and weekdays that don't involve drinking. Intramural sports is popular at Tech. The rest of the clubs have medium to low visibility on campus. Athletic events are fun -- being a Division 1A school, there is a huge emphasis on athletics, which I think a good bit (but not all) of the students took a liking to. Some students were completely apathetic to sporting events. The two biggest traditions here are Homecoming and Greek Week. Both are week-long events filled with friendly competitions, a parade, and a variety of campus-sponsored parties. Greek Week is just like Homecoming but reserved for the Greek community. Events like this were very fun for me, but had a hand in contributing to the ever-growing division between Greeks and non-Greeks at Tech. Georgia Tech does not take Homecoming as seriously as other universities. In fact, Homecoming is almost a non-event for a lot of people. Georgia Tech really benefits from its urban location in midtown Atlanta. The university did an excellent job of providing students with a relaxing, secluded atmosphere within a bustling metropolis. There is always something going on in Atlanta -- from live concerts to museum exhibits to shopping and sporting events -- and there was never a dull moment if you wanted to get away from your studies for a while.

Georgia Tech is a large university geared toward technical studies like science and engineering, and so the students here are considered to be fairly "nerdy" or "geeky" by people unfamiliar with the student body. There is an old saying about Georgia Tech males (who make up 65-70% of the student body), that "the odds are good, but the goods are odd." There are a lot of folks who think Georgia Tech men and women like to be huddled in their room, playing video games and writing computer programs. Also, there is a stereotype that Georgia Tech women are unattractive, or, at best, "cute." One prevailing myth is that everyone at Georgia Tech studies engineering, which is not even close to being true.

Devin

There is something at Georgia Tech for everyone, no matter who you are. Georgia Tech is just right. People usually start making fun of us because of our football team or that are school is too hard. I spend most of my time on campus either in class or at the Student Center. Atlanta is definetly not a college town. I like the administration at Georgia Tech. There is nothing unusual about Georgia Tech. I'll always remember coming here for Freshmen Orientation and walking around campus for the first time and meeting all the people that I would spend the next four years with. The most frequent complaints are about the housing and freshmen dorms and about the dining hall food which is not up to par.

My experience with most other groups has been minimal. Occasionally, we see rallies or protests from one of them, but thats it. I honestly don't know who would feel out of place, but my best guess would be someone who is just looking to party all day and doesn't want to do any work. Most students wear very casual clothes, such as basketball shorts, sweatpants, t-shirts, and hoodies. Yes, different types of students interact. One table has all the athletes, one has all the freshmen and their PL's, one has the students who are upperclassmen, and then there is one table with the people that are anti-social and don't talk to anyone. Most Georgia Tech students are from within Georgia. Most students have solid financial backgrounds and are middle class. Students are politically aware and active. I don't know which side students favor politically. Yes, students talk about how much money they will make one day, but who doesn't?

To some extent they are, but they are not representative of ALL students at Georgia Tech. There always people that will fall into these stereotypes, but they are a great number that do not.

Some professors know my name, but it depends on the class and the size of it. My favorite class this semester is my Clinical Research Practicum class. We learn about clinical research and perform clinical studies for 8 hours a week in the Grady Hospital ECC. Least favorite class is my Circuits lab. Students study about 10 hours a week. No, class participation is not common. Yes, Georgia Tech students have intellectual conversations outside of class. We may study a lot, but we know whats going on in the world. Students here are very competitive. My most unique class had to be my English II class. My major is Biomedical Engineering and I love my major. My major is very young and therefore the department is still being developed and refined. I do spend time with professors outside of class. I think the academic requirements at Tech are a little too stringent, but it helps to push students to do their best. Education at Georgia Tech is geared towards getting a job and passing entrance exams.

Greek Life is huge on campus, so all the fraternities and sororities are big. Other popular groups are India Club, honor societies and service groups. I'm involved with a group called M&M mentoring and it involves upperclassmen mentoring underclassmen within their majors on what classes to take, what mistakes to avoid, what professors to take, etc. Students in dorms do leave their doors open. Football is very popular here along with basketball. Guest speakers are mildy popular and theater is very unpopular. The dating scene is HUGE and couples can be seen everywhere. I met my closest friends by joining my fraternity, Sigma Beta Rho. I'm usually studying or watching tv or hanging out with friends at 2 am. We have a pi mile run every year, we have greek week, homecoming, campus wide community service events, lock ins in the student center and gym. People party whenever they are free, so at least once a week. Fraternities and Sororities are very important on campus. I went to UGA last weekend for a cultural show. We can go see a play at the Fox, go out to eat, watch a movie, play sports, hang out and talk, play video games, study, explore Atlanta, go to the aquarium or park, or go to another college, such as Emory or Georgia State. We do everything offered to us off campus, we watch movies, eat out, meet friends at other schools, travel, road trip, etc.

All Tech students are nerdy All Tech students just play video games all day No one at Tech knows how to socialize Everyone at Tech just studies all day

Martha

I think the best thing about Tech is the location. We are in the heart of Atlanta. Coming from a small town in RI i love to explore whenever I have the opportunity. For me the campus is the right size and the city is right next door.

Being an out lesbian on campus I have found Tech is very accepting to different social and racial backgrounds. At Tech I believe all students are accepted on campus.

Yes this school is mainly boys and yes we are smarter than the average bear, but we also have fun and enjoy the city. With hundreds of student organizations to join every student has the opportunity to explore an interest of their own.

Tech is a hard school. The classes are challenging but the reward is great. Having a degree from Tech looks better in the eyes of future bosses then a local/state university.

One of largest groups on campus is CCF. However the group consitst of a large verity of the students on campus. Athletics are very popular for most students. Football and basketball are the most attended sports.

Georgia Tech's student body is mainly males. With the ratio currently at 3:1 (males to females) it is highly encougred to attend Tech and be female. While engineering and technical fields are mainly male orriented fields females do hold positions and just as much interest in the field as a male can. Tech is a smart school with the average entering class SAT score on average 1200 or higher.

Jason

As far as school size is concerned, I'd say Tech was perfect. It's not huge, but just large enough for you to generally remain anonymous walking around campus, but you would still run into a friend not too uncommonly. While living in the dorms, I spent most of the time in my room/friends' rooms and the dining hall. After moving off campus, most of the time I wasn't in the College of Architecture I spent in the student center, but I ate at Junior's Grill frequently. The administration seems to be the butt of a lot of complaints, but it's not really that bad in my opinion. Whenever we feel we've been screwed over by a professor, Parking, the administration, or Georgia Tech in general, we say we'd been "Shafted" in reference to one of the biggest icons around campus, the fountain right outside the student center.

You are sitting at the dining hall eating with friends. One table over is a group of males eating and holding some sort of nerdy/intellectual conversation. The next table contains more males from some fraternity. The next table is another group of males, but this time with one or two females in the group, following every bit and keeping up with the males in their nerdy/intellectual discussion, if not leading the group. One table over, someone is typing away furiosly on a laptop over a WiFi connection, either checking fantasy scores or talking on AIM. At the next table, some people have hooked up a television and Game Cube and are playing Smash Brothers Melee. In the corner of the room, someone is sitting quietly studying or writing a paper, again with a laptop on the table in front of them. Meanwhile, back at my table, Scott is standing on the table driving around a remote control car that he has duck-taped inside a Cheerios box, having cut out four holes for the wheels. Andy is trying to trick people into eating styrofoam by cutting a plate into slices and calling it a "pie." Some people are waiting in line because the guy who cooks the pasta is back from break, or this is the morning they cook blueberry pancakes and bacon. Some people are standing around amused at the Cheerios box which is weaving through tables and people, while the lady who swipes buzzcards at the door is giving us the evil eye because she recognizes we are the group that always trys to take way more than one desert from the tray on the way out the door. I've met all kinds of people at Georgia Tech, but the largest minority groups around campus are Asians and Indians. Politically, I was quickly surprised to find the middle ground was further right than I expected. Sure its Georgia, but I'd come to expect the stereotype of major universities as far left havens. Though actually, It is a very laid back environment. Political conversations come up just as often as another other subject, but its often about a particular candidate, and people seem to have a pretty open mind, at least among the friends I made at Tech. "Party of bad ideas vs. the party of no ideas," as a friend recently put it. Extreme Liberals and Conservatives can of course be found among the student body, and there are clubs and groups for those seeking to get involved. Mitt Romney and Obama have recently campaigned on campus.

Do professors know your name? That depends on the class. The largest lecture I ever had had 203 people in it, but every semester I took a class where I was 1 of 12. That allows you to be very personal if you choose to be with your professors. I say if you choose to be because it's up to you whether you visit their office or see them after class or not. This is regardless of class size. Also, after years of classes, you start to know the admins and professors of your college, whether you took a class with them or not. While walking around the College of Architecture, I came to recognize about as many professors as I did students. One thing you have to realize about Georgia Tech is it quite often takes students longer than 4 years to finish undergraduate studies. It took me an extra fall semester, and the same is true for many of my friends. A lot more are still there this spring. Classes are very challenging, and quite often people take minimum hours to be considered a full time student, making it take additional semesters. A poor freshman or sophomore year from the shock of the difficult classes could set you behind a little, or perhaps you changed majors halfway through. Intellectual conversations of all types can be heard outside classes. My closest friends aren't within the college of architecture, but are engineers. Very often my CS friend would come home excited about some practical aplication of some theory he just learned about, or my EE friend would show off some new "toy." Being the only Architect among the group, I shared my knowledge whenever the course of conversation led to such discussions of buildings and city planning. Recently I half guided some friends through a famous house we visited that I had learned about but had never been to.

There are many clubs and groups around campus. I've been playing on a roller hockey team that operates as a club most every semester I went to school at Tech. I often see groups of people playing chess at the student center. There is an open-door policy which has great atmosphere among freshman halls. This is where I made my friends early on freshman year. At 2 am on really any night of the week, I was next door in my friend Andy's room, either watching a movie, eating, playing a game, or making smoothies, and often all of the above. Another way to do it is to join a fraternity. My freshman roommate did this, and I rarely saw him, but they let him move into the house the 2nd semester. People also commonly become best friends with the people among their major. There is often a distinction made between a drinking school and a party school. Tech is often referred to as the former. Rather than go to a party, we just host gatherings of "the usual crowd drinking." Whether you call it s small party or just hanging out, as we all turned 21, and had a house to ourselves rather than living in the dorms, these grew in frequency to about every other weekend among my group before the novelty eventually wore off. If your looking for a party, or a great place to rent a house while you go to school, Home Park (north of campus) is the place to be. Being at the Heart of Downtown Atlanta, there is no shortage of things for young people to do. Bars, Clubs, concerts, food, karaoke, professional sports games, whatever you want is at your disposal. Only being on the scene for a little over 4 years, its amazing I run into so many people I know in a place as large as Atlanta. Once I was at the Sweetwater Brewery, where I ran into a friend from Arch Studio. Later I was playing pool at some bar I'd never been to, and ran into the same guy! We once flagged down a friend driving who was driving on West Peachtree and a agreed on a place to go. Frequenting ska concerts, you meet the same types of people, and just last night we ran into someone we knew while eating at Mid City Cafe.

The only Stereotype I can think of is that we're all nerds.

Andrea

The best thing about Georgia Tech is the fact that it is in Atlanta. The college campus is big enough where you could get lost in the crowd but small enough to get to know a lot of people in your major. People's reaction when I say I go to Georgia Tech is always positive and usually say something like 'Oh you must be smart.' Most of my time I spend on campus is around the student center, at my job on campus, and at Barnes and Noble. It is definitely not a college town, it is a campus in the middle of the city, sometimes called a sort of 'bubble.' It feels disconnected to the rest of the city but at the same time close enough. I believe the administration on Georgia Tech's campus is positive. I see that Georgia Tech is always out to help the students and they try at all costs to make them happy. There is a lot of school pride on campus and the games are usually well attended. The unusual part of Georgia Tech is that there are a lot of different cultures on campus. You can get on a bus and hear three different languages on the way to math class. I will always remember Sting Break , which happens right before spring break, and is full of fun and an amazing concert featuring artists like T.I., Ludacris and Big Boi. The biggest student complaint is probably the amount of work that is left to the students and the stress that it causes especially around exams.

I am part of Hispanic as well as women organizations on campus. There are many organizations on campus that deal with every subject and every interest. Most students don't really care what they wear to class and you rarely find anyone dressed up or with make up on. Georgia Tech students are very interested in learning and not so much in their appearance. Different students tend to interact but in general they tend to find their own niches based on social or ethnic groups. Most Georgia Tech students are from middle to upper middle class families where education has been enforced and encouraged since very young. They tend to either be from Georgia or from the North East. Students are very politically aware on campus and there are various activities on Skiles Walkway that help show their politically activism. Students here are usually in the center. Students always talk about the fact that they will earn a lot of money coming out of college because they have en engineering degree from Georgia Tech.

Some people do stay in on weekends, but they chose to. Atlanta is a big city with lots of bars and restaurants. I see even the more quiet people go out.

Since I'm in the school of Liberal Arts, most of my professors know my name. I love my Marketing classes and I always feel a sense of encouragement from them academically. Georgia Tech is very unique in that I hear people talk about calculus and physics problems over lunch and hold very intellectual conversations all the time. The most unique class I have taken was called Environment Ecocritic which dealt with the issue of the way things in the environment are placed and how that effects our everyday life. My major, STAC, is one of the most unique majors and the most flexible. I study classes anything from Literature to media to philosophy. I know my counselor by name and most of my teachers. I spend time with my professors outside of class through research and through the different organizations in which they participate.The requirement at Georgia Tech are very strenuous, time consuming, and difficult. The education at Georgia Tech is highly geared toward getting a job and companies from major corporations on campus are here many times a month and hire Georgia Tech students over other universities because of the quality of the student.

I'm part of SGA and this is an important group on campus that helps decide what happens around campus. People in the freshman dorms usually are most social than in the apartments. Athletic events are quite popular on campus but theater is not. The dating scene here is different because of the 3 to 1 ratio of guys to girls. The guys usually have more trouble finding girls than girls do because of the ratio. My closest friends were actually met at Freshman orientation. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm usually studying for a test the next day or working on a project. People usually part on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Fraternities usually are the places that underclassmen party until they turn 21 and can go more around Atlanta. Last weekend I went to Piedmont park and studied outside for a few hours and went out the movies. On a Saturday night there are many restaurants of all different types around Atlanta and there is Atlantic Station that is 5 min away that has shopping and movie theater that is a good hangout spot. On campus I would probably just hang out with friends and watch movies inside or just socialize.

That we are all nerdy with no social skills, stay in on weekends, and study all the time.

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.