Atlanta, GA
Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

David

A college degree should set you up with a career that lets you get what you want out of life. To fully understand this advice, you first need to understand what a college degree is. It's a significant monetary and temporal investment in future opportunities. Those future opportunities directly constitute your career, but indirectly relate to whatever it may be that you want to do away from work. I'm a firm believer that most high school seniors don't know exactly what they want to get out of life, which leads to my advice on how you should spend your time in college. You should ensure you have as many opportunities as possible, when you leave college. This is done by working hard in the classroom and coming away with the best knowledge base you can. However, you should also ensure that upon your graduation you have a much better idea about what you want to get out of life. At the end of the day, college is about opportunities. Your time there should be spent taking advantage of as many of them as possible, but also used to ensure that your future is filled with them.

Georgia Tech lacks a bit in overall school spirit. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of students who are passionate about Georgia Tech athletics, but a large portion of the student body seems to think college is only about academics. It would have been nice to see a few more fans on gamedays and a few more people at parties. Nevertheless, I came away with an almost entirely positive college experience.

Someone interested in Math and Science should absoultely consider Georgia Tech. It provides incredible opportunities within any notable engineering discipline. People who will do well here are those interested in putting in a quite bit of effort over the course of their time in college. Don't let that deter you, though. Those who graduate with Tech degrees boast some of the best returns on investment when compared to any other school in the country. This is particularly true if you live in Georgia and have received the HOPE scholarship.

Niara

Georgia Tech is a school that wants its students to leave its campus with as many opportunities as possible. From study abroad, to co-op and internship opportunities, to the hundreds of clubs on campus.

My classmates at Georgia Tech are driven, friendly, open to competition, and push me to do that best that I can do in my field.

My advice to a younger me would be to work on my self confidence and to step out of my comfort zone. In high school, I didn't believe that I could get into my top schools because I was worried I was not good enough. I was safe with the schools and scholarships I applied to because rejection terrified me, and I thought the rejection would put a limit to what I was capable of. In college, I realized that I create my own limits. My peers have pushed me to accomplish goals I never would have thought possible. Since last year, I have joined a sport I had never heard of, researched graduate level information, and held project presentations with an audience full of faculty members. I was terrified of making myself uncomfortable in high school, but now I thrive on it. If I had stepped out of my comfort zone in high school, I would have had a chance to have great experiences and push myself earlier. My sister is a high school senior now, and I tell her she is capable of so much more that what she thinks is possible.

Dyvonne

Students at Georgia Tech are stereotyped to be nerdy. This is so true that it makes me want to cry. However, for most students, it's more of a cool nerdy. Think more Captain Kirk from Star Trek and less Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. Although there are a fair share of nutcases, I can confidently say that at Georgia Tech, you will find your fit. There are too many people here for anyone to be lonely. On any given week day, you will find students studying in the library, having Pokemon tournaments, or getting drunk out of their minds. It's a tossed salad!

A bunch of alcoholics with an engineering problem.

Alexa

Going back to my high school senior self, the first thing I would say is do not underestimate what is to come. College is full of challenges and struggles that you will have to overcome academically. Thinking that everything will be a breeze because it was in high school, is absolutely wrong. College will teach you so much about yourself and how to work to your best ability and while high school started you on that path, college will be sure to tell you if you were going in the right direction, and fast! So when you start college, expect the unexpected, learn to figure out what is most important to you and how to work hard and still enjoy every experience you have. You are the captain of the next four, five or maybe even six years of your life and you should live them with no regrets. Time management is key. Working hard is extremely important. Seizing opportunities and enjoying them is essential. Get ready for the time of your life, and make sure you remember to read your textbooks even when you would rather watch Grey's Anatomy!

The best thing about Georgia Tech is it's ability to be very work oriented and full of research, studying and education, but then to also know the importance of having a good time -- especially in the Fall when football season is in full effect. This school prides it's self on working hard and playing hard, the epitomy of a Yellow Jacket!

I can honestly say there is nothing I can think of as the worst thing about my school. I have learned so much about myself here and feel well prepared for what is next.

Leah

Georgia Tech is a competitive, research, carreer-driven instituion that puts extreme emphasis on the outcome of their undergraduate and graduate students in their accomplishments and academic success after graduation.

My classmates at Georgia Tech span all across the spectrum; from introverted video gamers to the Greek socialites, everyone is able to find their place and personality in our welcoming and diverse community.

To my high school self, BE YOURSELF! I know it is so easy to come into college thinking you know who you want to be, convinced that your major will never budge, and sturdy in all of your values and views on life. These are the elements you think you are and you think you want to portray, but this does not mean you are truly being yourself. Being yourself is putting yourself out there in new situations. Do something you have never heard of; join a club that makes you excited. Being yourself in college doesn't mean being who you want to be. It means finding out who you can be and doing the most you can to live up to that potential. Stay focused, be nice to your family, and don't get lazy! Sincerely, Your Future Self PS: Feel free to contact me through way of meditation, exploring yourself now, and living in the present to let it lead the way to the future.

Jonathan

Georgia Tech is defined by its dedicated students and professors who each are expected to go beyond the expectations of the class to find a higher level of knowledge in science and engineering to pursue careers that will benefit the world and the student.

This is hard to do in 200 words because there are so many things I did wrong. However, they all made me a stronger person and so many of my mistakes led to who I am today. I'm a completely different person than you are now. We fail a class our first semester that still haunts us to this day. We lost HOPE scholarship and the student debt is unbelievable. This makes us stronger though. We retake that class and meet a teacher that opens our eyes to the world of math and science. We meet one of our best friends that inspires us to work hard and pursue our goals. Looking back I wouldn't trade that class for the money (or anything). With the financial trouble we have to take a semester off and finish our associates in 3 years not 2. This ends up being the best thing to ever happen because we meet our future wife in the class we take our last semester. She's beautiful and smart don't ever let her go. Work hard Jon, no one is going to do it for you. Georgia Tech is where you belong! Good luck.

The work load is crazy but the results I get are proportional. I feel the education is second to none and I wouldn't choose any other school. I brag most about the ability to work in levels of technology and engineering that my friends would only see in a documentary or TED talks videos. Access to clean rooms for integrated circuit fabrication, robotics, hardware and software analysis, and some of the greastest minds in the field.

Cierra

My classmates are driven, well read and intelligent.

My classmates are driven, well read and intelligent.

Speaking to my former self, I'd encourage myself to pay close attention to all of the activities I enjoyed in high school and middle school and not give them up. I love to sing and I was a tutor in high school. There's no reason why I couldn't have become a tutor in college too, except I just didn't. I'd tell myself to develop an exercise regimen early and stick with it. I'd tell myself to try and make a wider variety of friends sooner rather than later. I shouldn't be afraid to step out of my comfort zone and try my hand at writing for the newspaper or starting a blog. Writing has always been an outlet for me but I neglected it for years. I'd urge myself to listen to my heart and trust in myself. I'm more intelligent than I gave myself credit for. But mostly, I'd tell myself to have fun and be young. I am young; I was young and I should be young. I should make mistakes and learn from them.

You shouldn't attend Georgia Tech if you are looking for a liberal arts school. You also shouldn't come if you don't have a strong inner drive to succeed. There are many opportunities but only if you take advantage of them. They don't come looking for you.

Michelle

I love to tell my friends about the diversity displayed at Georgia Tech. Here, there really are no major division amongst groups; everyone seems to get along with each other no matter what background he or she came from. Also, I enjoy the food at the dining halls. There is food here for everyone to enjoy. Whether there is stir fry or cheeseburgers, everyone has a good amount of choices to choose from. Last but not least, the academic rigor here really helps me to push myself beyond my limits.

While the people here are nice, most are introverted; therefore, it is hard sometimes to carry on a conversation with those who are introverted. In addition, I wish that clubs of interest would promote their meetings/events better. While sending emails sort of helps, sometimes a visual cue around campus could jog my memory of when a meeting is better than searching throughout my email for the information.

To my High School Senior Self, Please get involved and stay committed to what you were doing! Not only will it help you with college/scholarship applications, but also will help you explore your true talents and interests while making new friends. Do not get discouraged and give up searching scholarships because all you see are need-based scholarships. Just keep pushing and I am sure you will find something to help you pay for this out-of-state tuition. Also, remember to love yourself for who you are and stop comparing yourself to others. Trust me, it is really hard to pick yourself back up after tearing yourself down with such comparisons. Please do not get overly excited if a boy talks to you. You are going to college to get an education, not to find a husband! When God is ready, he will send you the right person at the right time. Do not be afraid of getting out of your comfort zone every once in a while! You never know who you will make a connection with and discover what other talents you have. Love Always, Your Future College Freshman Self

Brandi

We are very much focused on engineering...even in non-engineering degrees it still has a presence.

Ralph Waldo Emerson describes my situation perfectly, “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be”. After graduating from Georgia Tech and commissioning into the USAF, I entered pilot training. I dreaded going into training because I did not have a passion for it like others had. My priority from AFROTC had been to be the best officer I could be and to serve my country, while everyone around me seemed to think that being a pilot was the most important aspect. I had dreamt of the opportunity to lead other airmen, and as a pilot the reality was that I would just be leading myself for quite some time. I came to the conclusion that I could not envision serving my country as a pilot. Though the decision to drop pilot training was risky and quite taboo, it was the best decision for me and my family. Ultimately, the lesson learned is not to get absorbed with what others think should be your highest priority, but what you know in your heart is right for you. We need to find balance in what others want from us and what we want for ourselves.

It is one of the leading schools in the nation.

Alexis

Although I have not started the school year, the future classmates I encountered during my orientation experience were kind, friendly, and inviting. Their contagious intelligence makes me even more excited to start a new academic year at Georgia Tech.

Geaorgia Tech is best known for its extensive prowess as a research based school, high return rate as an investment through its well known name and degrees awarded, and for producing many of the world's new scientists, engineers, and future leaders of the new world to come.

I would tell my senior self to take life one day at a time. As I looked forward to the next four years of my life at Georgia Tech, I gained a sense of excitement as well as a sense of impending doom. As the thoughts of four years of caffeine filled all-nighters and stressful days of essays and exams crept up inside of me as I received my high school diploma on graduation night, I realized that those four years are made of individual years, which are made of individual days, which are made of individual moments, and so on. I wish I could tell myself that as much as college seems to be a huge looming natural disaster that will cause an inevitable panic, the only way to survive these all important four years is to take it all one moment at a time.

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.