Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

This is where I will explain my answers to the multiple choice. I've known a lot of people to have intelligently worded conversations about some of the most ridiculous things ever, so I wouldn't really call that intellectual conversation The professors are usually at their office hours and things like that, but I'm pretty sure very few people take advantage of that. Very few people play sports, and the ones that do play them pretty sparingly. I can really only speak on fraternity life. I get the feeling that a lot of people join fraternities, but still easily less than half. However, I don't feel like fraternities here are to be treated like real fraternities. Most of the brothers that I know don't seem to be that close with their brothers, and really don't seem to get much out of it. As far as drugs and alcohol, I know several people who do drugs on a pretty regular basis, but they never do anything more serious than smoke a little pot now and then. People do drink around here, but I don't think Ive ever seen anyone just stay drunk for days or anything like that. I really believe people here are just too afraid of the consequences. I do feel safe on campus, but I can see why some people don't. I mean a couple weeks ago we had a couple of guys carjacking people at gunpoint, for some reason I don't really feel affected by that though.

Although the official cheer only includes "Fight, Win" at Tech we like to add on to things and scream "Fight, Win, Drink, Get naked!" The Budweiser song as been a long tradition at Tech that started in 1970 as a recognition of Head Coach Bud Carson but is still played at all home games today. All the students bop up and down alternating to the beat and yell "Go Georgia Tech!" at the end of everyone song until the end when we say "When you say Budweiser, you've said it all!" During finals week, the library becomes a social scene. Everyone at Tech only reads the school newspaper for the slivers. The slivers are a sections where people can go on the newspapers website and write anything they want anonymously. It has turned into a spot for people to call each other out without saying it to their face. It's part of the entertainment at Tech!

The Tech tradition they'll never tell you about on the campus tour? CONSTRUCTION. Tearing up perfectly good sidewalks to put in decorative bricks, tearing down residence halls for parking lots, the new building that was supposed to open 2 semesters ago...it never ends. The worst part is when they block off streets and cut off your shortcut to class. And to all you Ivan Allen College students, don't let anybody tell you that we don't have "real" majors. People may smirk when I say I'm a history major up until the point they find out that I'm taking the research option and writing an undergraduate thesis. (Although the STAC and Management kids themselves admit they don't do much of anything.)

Tech isn't for everyone, but I love it. It does take a while to get used to it, but what freshman college student isn't out of their element? It is hard work and sometimes it can drive you crazy, but there are fun people there and a lot of interesting experiences to be had. The school is generous to their students: the fees pay for a lot of free things like some health care, workshops, free food (O yeah, there is free food everywhere! but it is almost always pizza), and other miscellaneous free services that come in handy from time to time. The administration work hard to make sure that Tech students have everything available that they could need/want.

Seriously, don't come here. The only reason I chose this school was b/c I was waitlisted at Michigan. I probably would have be so much happier there. Being here is really a serious test of your spirit. If the hard academics and getting your first 50 on a test doesn't do you in, the next to nothing social life will. Seriously, I know quite a number of people who are dropping out, transferred or just plain given up. The place ruins everything that is good about the college experience. It accepts any schmuck who had at least 3.0 in HS and smacks you upside the head and wants to make you fail out.

My biggest complaint with Tech is that it is a major research university. This isn't always terrible, and I definitely like us being on the forefront of some major breakthroughs, but I DO NOT think that it is the most important at a University geared toward EDUCATION. I have felt before that professors are there to research and research only. I'm not sure if all profs. are required to teach at some point, but, if so, they don't want to if they were hired to research, which makes them care very little about their students. Either that, or they're just assholes?

When I was a prospective student considering Tech I decided to apply based solely on its outstanding academic reputation. It was only months later when I was able to visit Tech’s campus that I realized it is so much more than that. Tech truly stood out to me as a school where I would be given every opportunity possible to prepare for a successful professional career. It is a school that thrives on the intellectual and cultural diversity of its students, but connects them with a rich history of school traditions that every student comes to know and love.

The thing about Georgia Tech is that it gets in your blood. Sure, we may not be a football powerhouse and we may not be huge partiers, but once you're a yellow jacket, you're a yellow jacket for life. You're internationally recognized, and it's okay that it isn't for the number of national championships you've won. You're recognized for making it through one of the most challenging academic institutions in the world, and given respect that few are able to attain. You're a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech, and a helluva engineer!

Georgia Tech offers a wide variety of intramural, club, and division sports, which allows for a maximal interest rate in physical activity or just about anything a college student could be interested in. Not being a son of Georgia Tech alumni, I was surprised to learn the fight song before I even heard Tech's name or knew of its grandeur. Even the smallest things, such as the statistic showing that Tech is one of the highest number of class-days per semester, proving the diligence of Tech students.

This campus is extremely progressive. We live in a world that continues to progress towards technology integration. I wanted to move with this curve if not lead it. Many of the buildings are LEED certified and environmentally conscious. We have state of the art facilities and equipment. The entire campus is wireless and boasts that it has the second fastest internet connection on the east coast. Anything and everything that you want is here if you are willing to look for it.