Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

About Tech: 1. This is accurate in the sense that Tech is challenging. Coming from a public school, I was never challenged, and Tech has opened up a whole new world of academia to me. 2. Partly accurate; while Tech is mostly a science and engineering based school, I think the administration has been putting much effort into expanding the liberal arts college. The problem with getting a liberal arts degree from Tech, however, is that when all is said and done, you'll still have the word "Technology" on your diploma. 3. Completely and utterly false. 4. Again, completely and utterly false; Tech is FAR from any technical type school. While a lot of courses are technology BASED, they delve into a level way beyond any technical or community college does. 5. On the whole, yes. However, I think exceptions are made for certain majors (i.e. management). About Tech's students: 1. I'd say the majority of us are of Asian descent, but we aren't ALL. 2. NO. 3. In our own ways... although I wonder about some. 4. Not hardly... this is still the Bible belt. 5. Way off...

Some of the stereotypes are accurate: Tech is hard, and it is hard to make good grades in all classes, but it can be done. A lot of professors (probably over 50%) are foreign and do have heavy accents, even some TA's do not speak English as their primary language. A lot of Tech students are hard working and very smart. But some of the stereotypes like there being few girls that attend and students being awkward in social situations are false (most of the time).

Not really, no. We definitely appreciate how important academics are at Tech, but we also know how to unwind. We also have school sponsored events (concerts, comedians, etc.) to make sure we get a break every once in a while. And the thing about there being "no girls at Tech" isn't true either. Yes, the school is 70% male, but the girls that there are at Tech are quality girls, and we're all smart enough to keep up with the boys.

Yes, these are all true for the most part. Although you can be social if you are in the greek community. Other than that good luck trying to make decent friends let alone a girlfriend. There are some really pretty girls, they are just all taken and hide in their sororities. You'll never get to see them either since they all management. If you find a pretty one whose smart and in engineering then you've come across a real gem.

There's a grain of truth in every stereotype. There are some kids here who did spend all their time in academic pursuits and are still a little awkward socially. But there are also a lot of kids who are well-rounded high achievers. Fun does often take a backseat to studying (unless you're extremely gifted, it has to if you want good grades!), but it can be easily had if you try. Atlanta has a lot to offer.

Most are true. The ratio and girl situation is entirley true, although the new classes are bringing in more girls! Huge Foreign Population is true (especially middle eastern and Indian populations) Boring is true for some, it depends on where you get involved Geeks is true for some, again depending on where you get involved.

Yes, we do have to study a lot, but we are by no mean nerds, we know how to have when appropriate. We do love our football here! Tech does care about its students, there are so many opportunities that are set in place to help Tech students succeed in their academics.

Yes this school is mainly boys and yes we are smarter than the average bear, but we also have fun and enjoy the city. With hundreds of student organizations to join every student has the opportunity to explore an interest of their own.

no! while there are many people that do fit this stereotype, they are small and don't emerge very often. there are many normal people who like to be social, normal, and enthusiastic about their school.

I think everyone who comes to tech has more in common than they know, although there are a couple of oddballs. Tech does have girls, more so than ever thanks to GW Clough