Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

I'm a rep for the Ivan Allen College Student Advisory Board, which is the bridge between liberal arts students and the administration. We throw events like town halls and the Freshman Social. It's fun and pretty cool. I'm also involved with the National Pan-Hellenic Council, the governing body for traditionally black Greeks. I'm a proud member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. One thing I will say is that the NPHC chapters at Tech are much smaller than you'll find anywhere else. Aside from that my weekends are pretty chill. I usually sleep in late, make pancakes and spend time with my boyfriend. Or a big group of us will explore the city via MARTA and go out to eat. Every year the High Museum has College Night, where you get in for $5 or $10 with a student ID. There's live music and workshops in addition to the exhibits. They have jazz nights every month, but I haven't gotten a chance to go since it's on weeknights. If you are a party person, frat row will keep you busy. If you're a black party person, there are plenty of clubs but you might need a car to get to the good ones. But the AUC (Spelman, Clark & Morehouse) has good parties too and they're MARTA accessible. Bottom line: there are TONS of activities you can get involved with. SGA and Kappa Alpha Psi (the business frat) are two of the more high profile ones. Tech also brings a lot of guest speakers to campus. The Ferst Center always has plays, live performances, etc.

The most popular organizations are fraternities/sororities, hands down. I was involved in GTMotorsports, which is basically a team that designs and builds a racecar from the ground up. There are 2 types of traditional dorms on campus, freshmen experience, and everything else. People in FE dorms usually leave their doors open unless theyre studying or something. Everywhere else I've lived actually had a closed door policy, I guess cause they were afraid people would be in their bedroom all the time and get their shit stolen if they left the main appartment door open or even unlocked. True to form, my current 3 flatmates always have their bedroom doors closed and hardly ever go into the kitchen/livingroom area. Umm...for guys the dating scene is dismal at best, and its probably not exactly a great place for girls either, but hell, at least they have a few more options (its something like 3:1, male:female). I met my closest friends in my freshmen dorm and through motorsports. People don't really party that often. Fraternities don't even really party that much, maybe like once a month or so. I spend most of my weekends off campus playing paintball or working at our paintball field, but when I'm not doing that, honestly there isnt much to do, and even less that doesn't involve drinking. There used to be an ultimate frisbee league, but I'm not sure if they're still around.

Tech has 33 fraternities and 16 sororities on campus and they provide a good deal of the social scene at Tech, but frat parties are by no means the only thing to do on campus. It's really easy to hang out with your friends pretty much anywhere, and Midtown Atlanta always has something to offer, with lots of cool restaurants right off campus. Football and basketball games are always a big deal, and I highly recommend joining the SWARM, which is the student cheering section. If I'm up at 2am on a Tuesday I'm either hanging out far too late with my friends, or pulling an all-nighter studying (all-nighters aren't uncommon unfortunately). I feel that having a good base of friends at Tech is very important. It's good to have people who will also be up at 2 on a Tuesday morning, or who'll go out to frats or dinner or a movie with you. They'll also help support you in your classes and as you get used to college life. Tech makes it easy to from that support group through the Freshman Experience Program. The FE program is basically the policy of putting the freshmen in dorms together and making sure that there is tutoring and a sense of community with everyone in your building. This encourages you to make friends and make them your family at Tech.

The number one social org. is Frats. and Sororities. We have a million of them. I am involved with Amnesty International, a group working towards human rights for ALL. Most students don't leave their dorm doors open, or even unlocked. Theft seems to be a major problem in the dorms. Athletic events are definitely among the most popular on campus. Guest speakers and theater are both popular, but not as much as athletic events. I met my closest friends randomly on campus, through other friends that I made at FASET... the freshman orientation program. If you're awake that late on Tuesday you are, in order of likelihood: 1. Studying 2. Drinking/Partying 3. Playing computer games/XBOX/Wii/Music in your room 4. Strung out from studying so much. Partying: VERY popular at Tech. Frats are always partying... always. It is an outlet for stress for a lot of the student population. If you don't party, there are plenty, plenty, plenty of other friends who don't. Go to a movie, go shopping and to dinner, go to the park... there's lots. Last weekend... I laid by my apartment's pool and drank some beers... AFTER studying.

I'm part of SGA and this is an important group on campus that helps decide what happens around campus. People in the freshman dorms usually are most social than in the apartments. Athletic events are quite popular on campus but theater is not. The dating scene here is different because of the 3 to 1 ratio of guys to girls. The guys usually have more trouble finding girls than girls do because of the ratio. My closest friends were actually met at Freshman orientation. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm usually studying for a test the next day or working on a project. People usually part on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Fraternities usually are the places that underclassmen party until they turn 21 and can go more around Atlanta. Last weekend I went to Piedmont park and studied outside for a few hours and went out the movies. On a Saturday night there are many restaurants of all different types around Atlanta and there is Atlantic Station that is 5 min away that has shopping and movie theater that is a good hangout spot. On campus I would probably just hang out with friends and watch movies inside or just socialize.

Social life at Tech is practically a joke. There is absolutely none if you're not in a frat. Have fun meeting girls because it will be next to impossible with the ratio. Living in the dorms freshman year, most ppl would usually leave their doors closed so trying to meet new ppl besides your roommates is actually a chore. Most everyone goes home on the weekends and your tough out of luck if you're an out-of-stater. Weekends are nothing but absolute boredom. Be prepared to stay in your room the whole time and weather it out. Sometimes its so boring you actually pull out a book and study. Tech is just terribly depressing place to be. Yea, you must be thinking Georgia Tech D1 sports but too bad they all suck. The football program is just horrible despite raising the athletic fee each year. If the games weren't free I bet 0 ppl would go. Basketball is not much better either. Womens tennis is decent though. Better watch out off campus too. You might get jacked at gun point. Seriously, there is nothing here but hell.

I think going Greek is a must if a student is looking for social life. Greeks are the most involved people on campus. There are a lot of on campus parties thrown at Greek houses. I met my closest friends in my fraternity. People are worried about the cost of joining because its "expensive." If you can afford it, you will get more out of it in the long run than the money it cost. Football games.....some people are all about football, others haven't been to a game in 4 years at Tech. A lot of the people at Tech are here strictly for the education and don't enjoy what Tech has to offer socially. For those that do, Tech provides competitive sports teams and a lot of fun. Dating....fellas, grab em fast. There's not too many girls. I heard people complain that there are no good looking girls at Tech. I understand that there's more guys than girls by far, but I don't think anyone who's out and looking for someone to date will come up empty handed. Saturday night and no drinking?....watch your friends drink?

Tech has a plethora of activities for students of all interests. Some of the most popular activities include the Student Government Association (SGA), in which there are multiple branches and positions which every student could be involved with if they are interested. Another popular activity involves conducting campus tours for prospective students as we love to share our beautiful campus's story with others. Many students also choose to work for housing to promote fun in residences. We also have a lively Greek Community which fosters strong bonds and connections among our students. These are just to name a few. What really defines an activity as popular will be up to an individual student's discretion, and you will be stunned to see the lively collection of students organizations here on campus ranging from business, professional, academics, hands-on, sports, philosophy, to religion.

Sports are very big on campus, but if your not into sports, then there are still plenty of other clubs/activities to get involved in. Band, chess club, you name it, Tech has it; or you can start it. I met most of my friends from my extracurricular activities and hall mates. But after going through my first year, i realize it is a good idea to make friends within your classes also, so that you have study buddies (very helpful!). Frats/and Sororities are the best party places on campus on the weekend. You don't have to be a Greek member to go to these parties, but there will be alcohol there. Parties usually start Thursday night. Actually the weekend starts Thursday night and ends Sunday morning. People are usually busy Sunday getting a lot of work done that they should have finished earlier that weekend; so Sunday is an honorary Monday.

Athletic Events are extremely popular. During football season, students form a line of tents outside of the ticket office. They bring everything with them, including their game machines and big screen t.v.'s! There is always guest speakers. Every year we have Impact Series where a different big name comes and speaks every week. We've also had Barack Obama and Maya Angelou. Every Spring graduation also has a big name speaker as well including Jeff Immelt, the CEO of GE and Maya Angelou. I met my best friends in my dorm. They lived right next door to me! At 2am on a Tuesday you are either eating the fabulous food at Wing Nuts or Chinese Buddha or craming in the library. People party on the extended weekend of Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. There's always a frat party to go to.