Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

The stereotypes are the worst aspect of Georgia Tech. I am a tour guide for my school, so I hear all the negative perspectives held by those unaffiliated with Tech - primarily that Tech has been dubbed a "nerd school." Nothing frustrates me more than seeing prospective students shy away from Tech because of this stereotype. I have met amazing Tech students, who are everything from rock climbers studying environmental science to triathletes aiding the development of biomedical devices. Therefore, I hate that some miss their opportunity to be surrounded by such incredible people because of a carelessly placed label.

Again, the high academic standard of Georgia Tech is ironically both the best and worst thing about this school. The rigor of the classes lead to strong, hard working students who are aware of their strengths and weaknesses. However, this same rigor can lead to many struggles as students try valiantly to succeed. Many times it seems impossible to take a typical courseload and do well, but in the end most students realize how to do it, although there are definitely many dark moments and hard days. The amount of studying required is tough, but it pays off after graduation!

Certain courses, particularly core areas such as calculus and lab sciences can be very difficult and frustrating depending on the professors. Some professors became so infamous that both undergraduates and graduates unanimously tell other incoming students to avoid them at all costs, citing from unfair difficulty, confusing lectures, and condescending personality with all sorts of horror stories. I was one of the many incoming freshman students who took Calculus II and I was absolutely thrilled that I got a final grade of C after countless hours of crying and screaming.

I feel the worst thing about Georgia Tech is its slight lack of opportunities for those who are not totally technically inclined. I, for example, apart from having a deep interest in the written arts (poetry, fictional writing, etc.); however, there are few opportunities for me to expand upon this area. The same goes for those who are attached to the visual arts. Though there are areas that permit graphic design or digital art, it is minimal in comparison to other universities. In short, though it has much to offer, it lacks some expansion for the artistic mind.

Considering all aspects of the Georgia Institute of Technology, the east campus housing is the worst. Most east campus dormitories are very old and have not been renovated for around 20 years. The paint on the walls is peeling off, there are no elevators to access the 5th floor, and the showers are cold more often than not. The location of these dormitories makes the situation even worse. To get to class, the students must climb the infamous "freshman hill." Fortunately, most east campus housing is for freshmen, so students only need to endure it for a year.

Georgia Tech has been a wonderful experience overall. However, I believe I never truly received the "college experience." Georgia Tech requires a large amount of time and devotion to coursework. I would spend most weekdays and at least half of my weekends working until very late. The work wasn't just time consuming, but was also very frustrating and difficult. My social life suffered in my freshman and sophomore years. It took many years of adjustment to balance my life so that I could at least have a healthy experience in college.

There isn't much that I would consider particularly bad about this school. If I had to choose one thing, however, it would be the workload. The professors expect everyone to complete the assignments given, regardless of lack of preparation or level of difficulty. They expect you to know the material ahead of time and come prepared to class ready to answer whatever questions they have for you. Outside of class, they expect you to complete the assigned homework, study the material covered in class, and prepare for future lectures.

The complaint I hear the most is the lack of relevant teaching in the classroom to what is actually on the test. Many people come out of a test and say "Well I wish he had taught that during class" or something of that nature. I think an easy remedy to this problem is student and faculty engagement in class. Granted are classes are larger than other campuses classes, if the faculty was more engaged in class it would make a difference - the few classes where faculty is already engaged attest to that fact that is helps!

I would say the worst thing about my school is the crime that goes on arounf the school. The school has a bad reputation for car break-ins and theft. But the school tries to be as proactive as possible when it comes to this issue. The school employs more police officers than any other in the entire southeast, and the school has installed a saftey warning system, to warn students of a crime that has been commited on or around campus. However, I would still have to say student saftey is still the biggest issue on the campus.

The worst thing about this school is a lot of people think they're geniuses.. They think that the only intelligent people in this world are males who are great at engineering. I'm a liberal arts major, so people look down on me a lot since I'm a girl and I don't like math and science. They don't realize that just because I don't like working with numbers doesn't mean I'm not really smart, too. It's horribly annoying to be judged for doing something different than the majority of other people here.