Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

I think I'll answer each of the suggested topics. The best thing about Tech, for me, is amount of challenges it presents to me, academically. Like I said above, I was never challenged in high school, and Tech has brought that to me, and more. I've learned more in the past two years at Tech than I learned in 12 years of public education. There is never NOT something to figure out in your classes... which to me is great. I would change the level of commitment of the professors. Since Tech is major research university, sometimes I feel that the professors are made to teach to extend their tenures and research groups, and don't really care about the courses they teach or how their students do in them. I feel it's just the right size, although I wouldn't mind it being larger. Whenever I say I go to Tech, the first thing people say is "Wow, you must be really smart". Since I don't live on campus, most of my time is spent either in classes or in the management building's study rooms. Atlanta is huge, so it would be hard to call it a college town because of its diverse nature. That being said, one can usually find something to do whenever, although it gets boring at times. The administration at Tech is alright... could be better, but could definitely be much worse. Controversy........We don't honestly have much of that... The City of Atlanta fosters attitudes of cohesiveness in its self, and I feel like Tech does its best to promote a unified campus, regardless of differences. There is a crap ton of school pride.. makes me kinda sick at times... The biggest abnormality about Tech is its students... you meet so many people who are way over your head all the time, and I definitely don't think it happens as much at other schools. I'll always remember the first Tech v. Notre Dame football game. There weren't enough tickets to get in, but my friend and I just walked around and enjoyed the atmosphere...and drinks. Most frequent complaints.... "This is so hard"; "I don't understand why we need to know this stuff".. mostly about the classes.

The best thing about Georgia Tech is the fact that it is in Atlanta. The college campus is big enough where you could get lost in the crowd but small enough to get to know a lot of people in your major. People's reaction when I say I go to Georgia Tech is always positive and usually say something like 'Oh you must be smart.' Most of my time I spend on campus is around the student center, at my job on campus, and at Barnes and Noble. It is definitely not a college town, it is a campus in the middle of the city, sometimes called a sort of 'bubble.' It feels disconnected to the rest of the city but at the same time close enough. I believe the administration on Georgia Tech's campus is positive. I see that Georgia Tech is always out to help the students and they try at all costs to make them happy. There is a lot of school pride on campus and the games are usually well attended. The unusual part of Georgia Tech is that there are a lot of different cultures on campus. You can get on a bus and hear three different languages on the way to math class. I will always remember Sting Break , which happens right before spring break, and is full of fun and an amazing concert featuring artists like T.I., Ludacris and Big Boi. The biggest student complaint is probably the amount of work that is left to the students and the stress that it causes especially around exams.

The best thing about Georgia Tech is the traditions! From the Budweiser song we all sing on game day, sneaking on to the football field, take a Prof to lunch, the Ramblin' Wreck, M-train jokes and video on You Tube, Lecture Crashers on You Tube, Red Jesus, the famous George P. Burdell, to midnight breakfast during dead week. There's always something for everyone to take a part in! School size is just right. Tech is a school that limits the size of students making it harder to get into and raising the value of your degree. When I tell people I go to Tech, they all say "wow" and are really taken back. Everyone is always very impressed and realizes how valued you are. Tech is a mini college town. Even though we are located in the heart of Atlanta, Tech still has the campus feel. Tech Square has really given Tech it's own "college town". You really couldn't ask for a better location! There is always something to do in Atlanta and it is a great place to live and work after you graduate! There is a ton of school pride! I feel like one of the qualifications for getting accepted is knowing the Ramblin' Wreck song, or at least "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva engineer"! One experience I will always remember was meeting Red Jesus! Unfortunately he graduated this semester but is an icon on Tech's campus!

I'm not a real big fan of Georgia Tech. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of this is Tech's fault or can just be attributed to the type of student that it attracts. It is true that Tech has a lot of prestige associated with its academics and specifically the engineering program, but I feel there are some things that are lacking. The academics are very strong, but I feel that they usually don't quite get some of the simpler things across; an example of which would be the mindset of an engineer, or the fact that common sense is an engineer's best friend. While gatech is in the middle of Atlanta, its kinda an island to itselft. Quite unlike UGA, which has Athens built around it and many businesses catering directly to students there, GaTech seems to be almost ignored by the rest of Atlanta. School pride is pretty hit or miss around here, it seems like basically either you're in a fraternaty/sorority or just don't give a damn. Most people here seem to be more concerned with getting through school and getting a good job than actually going to college.

The best thing about Georgia Tech is it's atmosphere: you are constantly surrounded by some of the most brilliant minds in the country-that includes both students and professors. Tech also has a great reputation, so when I tell people I attend Tech, they usually respond by widening their eyes and saying, "Oh, great!, thats a good school" or "wow, that's a tough school". Tech is in the heart of Atlanta so there are always things to do on the weekends, but I haven't had much of a chance to go off campus because freshman can't have cars the first semester, and there is usually homework or a project to be done. The student population is very large; sometimes it reminds me of a small city. This can make it daunting to make new friends at first, but there are tons of clubs and events you can attend to meet people. Once you get some good friends, the school quickly becomes your home. The Career counselors, advisors, TA's, and professors are your best resources on campus! Go visit them, often! They are all very friendly and helpful.

Many students complain about how rigorous the course at Georgia Tech are, which turns into people thinking the faculty is trying to fail students on purpose. However, this level of difficulty is what makes Georgia Tech so great because this leads to meaningful degrees which can land graduates lucrative and successful jobs. The gender ratio is something that I would change because it makes finding romance in college very hard to come by. Many students spend a lot of their time studying in the library, but I prefer the comfort of my own room to do all of my studying. When I tell people that I go to Georgia Tech, they generally seem very impressed by that. I feel that since it is a tough school to be successful, the comradery between the students fosters a great deal of school pride. Overall, I would say that Georgia Tech is a fantastic school to attend and to get a degree despite insane classes and a lot of stress, it will all be worth it in the end.

Tech has a stigma of being a purely academic school, but that's not all we have to offer. The sports here are great, we have a lot of football traditions and homecoming activities. Every year, the morning of the Homecoming Game, the fraternities put on the Wreck Parade. Alumni can show their antique cars, and each fraternity builds a machine that is man powered, and then they try to make their machines run the length of a street on campus. We also have a top-tier basketball team. I usually spend most of my time hanging out with my friends in either my dorm room or theirs, or going out to eat somewhere in Midtown. Atlanta has a lot of cool places to offer a college kid, and it's not hard to get there using public transportation (which is convenient, because freshmen can't have cars first semester). The most frequent student complaint is about ho hard the classes are, but that's true at any good university.

If you want to have a great degree and get a respectable and well paying job, come to Tech! If you want to have a great time with as little work as possible, don't come to Tech! If you do not love Math and Science, do not come to Tech! If you are not wanting to be in engineering or business, do not come to Tech! If you do want to be an Engineer-- Definitely come to Tech! Also, our Business degree is growing! I spend most of my time on campus with the Athletic Association. Regardless of your major make sure you find something to get involved with. You will be miserable if you come here and sit in your room all day studying! Atlanta is awesome! Everything you can imagine with a minute or two drive. Professional sports teams, malls, hundreds of restaurants stores etc.

I see a mixture of admiration and pit when I tell people what school I go to. I completely understand, because it's a love/hate relationship. GT is one of those places you will curse up and down, but defend bitterly when non-Techies degrade it. There is a lot of school spirit hidden beneath the sarcastic comments we all make. Like any other Tech student, I question my choice of school from time to time. At the end of the day though, I can't imagine myself anywhere else. I've made some unforgettable friends and become a campus leader. And even though the classes can be hard, I enjoy the intellectual challenge. Grad school will be a piece of cake after Georgia Tech! If you can get through this school, you can do anything.

Georgia Tech is a fairly large school in the north area of the city of Atlanta. Atlanta was not built around the college like at so many other universities, so it is not really a college town. Georgia Tech has a rich legacy of students, many of whom are active alumni. The school is only 30% female because women were not allowed to go to the university until the 1950s. Georgia Tech is also very diverse, and you can meet someone from just about anywhere around the world. When you tell people you go to Georgia Tech, they assume you're incredibly smart and they assume you're an engineer, both of which may or may not be true.