Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus Top Questions

I would tell myself to prepare for the workload. You need to study hard and go to class. Get involved and don't be afraid to branch out. Wait to see if you need books, before you buy them, and take advantage of professors' office hours.

Don’t come to college with the idea that you’ll float around and eventually make plans for your life. Enjoy your summer. Be prepared to hit the ground running. For four years, you will be going nonstop. Don’t expect it all to be fun. You’re driven, so it won’t be. You will be miserable at times, but the highs outweigh the lows. People who say college will be the best time of your life floundered around while they were here. College won’t be the best time for you. You will work hard and have a great time. Your life after college won’t steadily decline, but exponentially rise. Work hard so that no matter what point you are in life, you can say, “This is the best time!” Life is too great a gift to waste it longing for days gone by. I’d like to say that life will get easier after graduation, but it won’t. However, you’ll be making a difference and pursuing your passion. You know this is the only way to achieve true happiness. Don’t be afraid to make memories in college but never forget your ultimate goal.

Looking back on my years as a college undergraduate, I would tell myself to be prepared to enjoy some of the most memorable, challenging, and inspiring years that will shape your character for the years following. The people you meet and classes you take will be one of a kind. Be as immersive in you learning experience as much as possible. You will push youself past the boundaries of your current intellect and be intrigued with new passions. College is a time that you will find out more about yourself; your likes and dislikes may change. As long as you strive for the best, you'll land exactly where you want to be. Enjoy college, but be ready to take it all in and make the most of it.

Isiah

Go to Georgia Tech!!

A college degree should set you up with a career that lets you get what you want out of life. To fully understand this advice, you first need to understand what a college degree is. It's a significant monetary and temporal investment in future opportunities. Those future opportunities directly constitute your career, but indirectly relate to whatever it may be that you want to do away from work. I'm a firm believer that most high school seniors don't know exactly what they want to get out of life, which leads to my advice on how you should spend your time in college. You should ensure you have as many opportunities as possible, when you leave college. This is done by working hard in the classroom and coming away with the best knowledge base you can. However, you should also ensure that upon your graduation you have a much better idea about what you want to get out of life. At the end of the day, college is about opportunities. Your time there should be spent taking advantage of as many of them as possible, but also used to ensure that your future is filled with them.

Niara

My advice to a younger me would be to work on my self confidence and to step out of my comfort zone. In high school, I didn't believe that I could get into my top schools because I was worried I was not good enough. I was safe with the schools and scholarships I applied to because rejection terrified me, and I thought the rejection would put a limit to what I was capable of. In college, I realized that I create my own limits. My peers have pushed me to accomplish goals I never would have thought possible. Since last year, I have joined a sport I had never heard of, researched graduate level information, and held project presentations with an audience full of faculty members. I was terrified of making myself uncomfortable in high school, but now I thrive on it. If I had stepped out of my comfort zone in high school, I would have had a chance to have great experiences and push myself earlier. My sister is a high school senior now, and I tell her she is capable of so much more that what she thinks is possible.

Alexa

Going back to my high school senior self, the first thing I would say is do not underestimate what is to come. College is full of challenges and struggles that you will have to overcome academically. Thinking that everything will be a breeze because it was in high school, is absolutely wrong. College will teach you so much about yourself and how to work to your best ability and while high school started you on that path, college will be sure to tell you if you were going in the right direction, and fast! So when you start college, expect the unexpected, learn to figure out what is most important to you and how to work hard and still enjoy every experience you have. You are the captain of the next four, five or maybe even six years of your life and you should live them with no regrets. Time management is key. Working hard is extremely important. Seizing opportunities and enjoying them is essential. Get ready for the time of your life, and make sure you remember to read your textbooks even when you would rather watch Grey's Anatomy!

To my high school self, BE YOURSELF! I know it is so easy to come into college thinking you know who you want to be, convinced that your major will never budge, and sturdy in all of your values and views on life. These are the elements you think you are and you think you want to portray, but this does not mean you are truly being yourself. Being yourself is putting yourself out there in new situations. Do something you have never heard of; join a club that makes you excited. Being yourself in college doesn't mean being who you want to be. It means finding out who you can be and doing the most you can to live up to that potential. Stay focused, be nice to your family, and don't get lazy! Sincerely, Your Future Self PS: Feel free to contact me through way of meditation, exploring yourself now, and living in the present to let it lead the way to the future.

This is hard to do in 200 words because there are so many things I did wrong. However, they all made me a stronger person and so many of my mistakes led to who I am today. I'm a completely different person than you are now. We fail a class our first semester that still haunts us to this day. We lost HOPE scholarship and the student debt is unbelievable. This makes us stronger though. We retake that class and meet a teacher that opens our eyes to the world of math and science. We meet one of our best friends that inspires us to work hard and pursue our goals. Looking back I wouldn't trade that class for the money (or anything). With the financial trouble we have to take a semester off and finish our associates in 3 years not 2. This ends up being the best thing to ever happen because we meet our future wife in the class we take our last semester. She's beautiful and smart don't ever let her go. Work hard Jon, no one is going to do it for you. Georgia Tech is where you belong! Good luck.

Cierra

Speaking to my former self, I'd encourage myself to pay close attention to all of the activities I enjoyed in high school and middle school and not give them up. I love to sing and I was a tutor in high school. There's no reason why I couldn't have become a tutor in college too, except I just didn't. I'd tell myself to develop an exercise regimen early and stick with it. I'd tell myself to try and make a wider variety of friends sooner rather than later. I shouldn't be afraid to step out of my comfort zone and try my hand at writing for the newspaper or starting a blog. Writing has always been an outlet for me but I neglected it for years. I'd urge myself to listen to my heart and trust in myself. I'm more intelligent than I gave myself credit for. But mostly, I'd tell myself to have fun and be young. I am young; I was young and I should be young. I should make mistakes and learn from them.

To my High School Senior Self, Please get involved and stay committed to what you were doing! Not only will it help you with college/scholarship applications, but also will help you explore your true talents and interests while making new friends. Do not get discouraged and give up searching scholarships because all you see are need-based scholarships. Just keep pushing and I am sure you will find something to help you pay for this out-of-state tuition. Also, remember to love yourself for who you are and stop comparing yourself to others. Trust me, it is really hard to pick yourself back up after tearing yourself down with such comparisons. Please do not get overly excited if a boy talks to you. You are going to college to get an education, not to find a husband! When God is ready, he will send you the right person at the right time. Do not be afraid of getting out of your comfort zone every once in a while! You never know who you will make a connection with and discover what other talents you have. Love Always, Your Future College Freshman Self

Brandi

Ralph Waldo Emerson describes my situation perfectly, “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be”. After graduating from Georgia Tech and commissioning into the USAF, I entered pilot training. I dreaded going into training because I did not have a passion for it like others had. My priority from AFROTC had been to be the best officer I could be and to serve my country, while everyone around me seemed to think that being a pilot was the most important aspect. I had dreamt of the opportunity to lead other airmen, and as a pilot the reality was that I would just be leading myself for quite some time. I came to the conclusion that I could not envision serving my country as a pilot. Though the decision to drop pilot training was risky and quite taboo, it was the best decision for me and my family. Ultimately, the lesson learned is not to get absorbed with what others think should be your highest priority, but what you know in your heart is right for you. We need to find balance in what others want from us and what we want for ourselves.

I would tell my senior self to take life one day at a time. As I looked forward to the next four years of my life at Georgia Tech, I gained a sense of excitement as well as a sense of impending doom. As the thoughts of four years of caffeine filled all-nighters and stressful days of essays and exams crept up inside of me as I received my high school diploma on graduation night, I realized that those four years are made of individual years, which are made of individual days, which are made of individual moments, and so on. I wish I could tell myself that as much as college seems to be a huge looming natural disaster that will cause an inevitable panic, the only way to survive these all important four years is to take it all one moment at a time.

Ashanti

Freshman year, though adventure-filled, was not as exciting as I’d hoped. I didn’t run for leadership because I was afraid. I didn’t have the most engaging social life because I was shy. I failed to make half the connections I wanted. But this summer was different: I let go, did research, joined a design team, and made a ton of new friends. You see, I let fear stop me from having what could have been the best year of my life, and when I let go of that fear, a whole new, brighter world opened up. So I say to you, past me, don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid of failure, and don’t be afraid of success. Don’t be afraid to dream, to hope, to love. I let so many wonderful opportunities pass me by because I was afraid, but I refuse to live in fear’s shadow anymore. I want you to live your life to the fullest. Be bold. Be brave. Because you are special, intelligent, and perfect just the way you are – and don’t you dare let anyone tell you otherwise.

Hifza

If I was to go back in time, I would tell myself to really explore my passions early on, so that I can further build on them at Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has the resources and connections to help me succeed both professionally and academically, so the more prepared I am about my goals and interests, the more I can benefit from the resources at this school. I would also tell my younger self to outline a plan about how I will utilize my time at this phenomenal institution, both during the school year and in the summer. For instance, I would outline my plan with my course schedule as well as internships, leadership and extracurricular activities, research assistantships, and teaching assistantships to take part in. Additionally, I would tell my future self to live on-campus, so that I can study in groups and with friends as well as be a part of the vibrant campus community. Lastly, I would tell my younger self to join the Student Alumni Association, so that I can be paired with alumni who will be my mentors and help me navigate successfully through college and the job search process.

I would tell myself to be more abitious. Tech offers many amazing opportunities to its students. These opportunities include the ability to work hands on with Tech's renowned Faculty, or to attend career fairs and interviews with huge companies such as Exxon and Coca-Cola. All of these opportunities are extremely impressive and many high seniors, such as myself, may feel as though they are not fully prepared or courageous enough to fully take advantage of them. The fact is that even though these offers are highly esteemed, so are Tech students. I would have encouraged my self as a high school senior to be braver in pursuing all of the options available to me at my new or prospective college.

My advice to myself would be to find a roommate that I live well and stick with them through college. Trying to adjust to different living styles on top of the heavy course load is mentally taxing. Also go seek career and major counseling first semester to make sure you're on the right track for you.

To High School Brittany, Prepare for disappointment. You have never failed academically before in your life, you have strived to be valedictorian of your class this year, and now you are making your final decision for college. This is the big leagues. You will not make straight A's anymore. You will fail many tests, quizzes, and even a couple classes. This is a new experience for you I realize. You will struggle to keep your scholarships because of your slipping GPA. You will realize that it is almost impossible to get internships in Biomedical Engineering in the field you want. But I promise you, even though you will never be broken down more in your whole life up to this point, it will be worth it. You will make the greatest friends you have ever had. You will experience so many new things that you just can't get in high school. So even though you are scared to leave the state and travel down south for school, I will say one last thing. Prepare for disappointment, but it is worth it. College Brittany

Congratulations! You are about to embark on your first voyage into adulthood. But there is reason to be cautious. The greatest piece of advice I can give you is: remember why you are in school. You are here for your education. Your parents won't be texting you, telling you to come home. Your mom won't take your phone away if you skip class. Your dad won't scold you for getting a bad grade on a test. You are entirely on your own. College will provide you with a whole new world of opportunities, both positive and negative. Each and every day you will be faced with choices. There's a fraternity party tonight, but you have a physics assignment due at midnight. You have a calculus lecture at 8 a.m., but it's midnight and the Stacey from down the hall asked you to watch a movie with her. These new freedoms are exciting, but they should be experienced with care. Less than one percent of the world's population is given the opportunity to pursue a college education. Remember that when Stacey asks you to watch that movie.

Bradley

The biggest change that I have seen in myself revolves around my newfound desire to branch out more and participate in events that make me uncomfortable; I truly believe doing so has made me a better person. So I would tell myself not simply in a general sense to try to do more, but to instead say “no” to less. Simply doing more may not have a direction or a purpose, while saying “no” to less implies there was an invitation to join someone in an action, to accompany another person to live out a situation they would otherwise either not do, or simply do without you. This allows you to accomplish more, create fulfilling memories, and strengthen relationships. While many times as a senior I enjoyed the simple routine of my life, and I was not fond of breaking out of what I considered to be comfortable, those moments were not memorable or important. So instead, I would urge my senior-year self to take that last year of high school and do things that my junior-year self would never do. To join others in new situations is what creates growth in self and an understanding of others.

I would tell my high school self to not focus on one school. I only applied to one school, only looked at a total of two. I love my current college, but I wonder if I missed out. -Also, remember to apply for scholarships. They are out there, waiting for someone to grab them. Please apply for them. Don't be lazy! -Go with your heart. People will try to talk youout of going to your "dream school" or going for your "dream major". Go for it. Don't let them talk you out of it. This is the start of your possible career. You have control. This is your dream, your start. -Remember to relax and have fun. It gets stressful over the next year. Enjoy senior year, but keep it in balance.

Abdoulaye

know your math very well and build your work ethic.

Nicolas

Take classes related to what you will see in college, or at least expect to do a lot of while you are there. I had not taken Chemistry since my sophomore year in high school, and I went into college knowing full well that I would have to take at least four consecutive semesters of Chemistry. Right off the bat, I knew that I would struggle because I did not have as much recent experience with Chemistry as some of my classmates did. Luckily, I was able to learn the material fast enough to catch up with them; however, looking back, it would have been nice to not have to re-learn how to do the basics and been able to focus more on things that impacted my grade a bit more.

I would tell myself to take AP Biology instead of AP Literature, since biology credit is accepted at Georgia Tech. In addition, I would encourage myself to look for companies in the chemical industry that allow high school students to work for them. That job experience would help immensely while searching for internships at college. Clubs are another important factor, whether they are at high school or as a student member in some national organization, because they help build personal and professional relationships. Scholarships are probably the biggest factor of them all, so I would plead with my past self to look for more of them during his senior year. HOPE and Zell Miller are nice, but engineering grade point averages always suffer, so it would be critical to find other big scholarships that are only offered to high school students. Beyond academics, I would tell my past self to shave his face more, get a shorter haircut, and date more so that he was not so far behind in socializing with others.

Joris

I suppose the best piece of advice I could give myself as a high school senior is not to assume that my grades will remain at the same level I maintained during high school. It is difficult to go from making A's and B's to making B's and C's, but that's the way it goes at this school. My high school may have been academically rigorous, but college is simply a different matter entirely. It is easy to be discouraged when first facing a drop in your grades, but it is important to remember that everyone is in the same boat as you are, and that things will get better as you adapt to your new surroundings.

Zion

As a high school senior, I was very excited about going to college and leaving home, but there are definitely some tips that I would give my past self on how to prepare. One of the things that I regret the most about my senior year is not applying for as many scholarships as I could have. I received scholarship money from Georgia Tech, which I am extremely grateful for, but otherwise I definitely should have taken more initiative myself and searched for more opportunities. Another tip I would give myself is to focus on managing money and time better and more efficiently. When you're at school, you have so much more freedom than you did in high school with your class schedule along with more free time during the day, which can be hurtful if you tend to put things off. Google Calendar has been a godsend for me this year, as I have my entire weekly schedule planned out, from my eating schedule to when I attend club meetings. Also, I would stress the importance of relationships not only with your classmates, but also with your teachers because they help immensely with studying, recommendations, and future endeavors.

I would tell myself to not be afraid of trying new things. It is college, a new start, a chance to be someone who you never expected to be. Join some clubs, go out and explore campus, or even join a fraternity. College can be intimidating at times, but it is not supposed to be easy. There will be times when you feel overwhlemed and just want to give up, but you cannot be a quitter. Pick yourself up and get right back to work. While you should do your best to maintain a good GPA, but do not kill yourself trying to do so. And in the end, have fun. You only experience college life once.

Addison

Everybody is going to be telling you how important what you are learning in high school is. It's not. When you go to college, your professors are going to teach you what they want you to know and, most likely, it will have nothing to do with what they are teaching you now. When you get to school, take initiative. Nobody is going to take care of you; you must take care of yourself and try to get ahead on your own. Also, dump that loser. You'll meet better people soon enough.

Zephania

Don't be afraid to join clubs or approach professors in office hours. They are a lot nicer and more helpful one-on-one than in a class setting

It's okay to ask for help. Even though you are a very independent person the classes you are about to sign up for are on a whole new difficulty level than you have ever experienced before. Take advantage of every opportunity you have to get ahead whether it be tutoring, review sessions, or help desk. Never underestimate a class at Georgia Tech. Make friends with professors and all kinds of students. Your peers may have the same problems as you do and you can solve them together. The more friends you make the better you will feel when you are looking for help on something. You are about to enter an extremely hard school that will challenge you mentally and emotionally. Do not let the difficulty of the classes get you down. It's not how good you do, it's how much better you do than everyone else.

I would give myself this advice: Do exactly what you're planning to do, because that lead me to a rewarding and fulfilling college life. Go out and make as many friends as you can, explore everything, study hard, and stay balanced. Remember that you're among the best of the best, and that the average here is really smart in the real world. Oh, and avoid 8am classes! They're not as "late morning" as they sound to a young woman who gets up at 6:15, trust me!

ThachKim

Do my homework! Be prepared and turn it in on time. Have a planner and write down when each assignment is due.

Don't sweat it. You are going to get in. You will have to work hard to get what you want, but you will be surrounded by great friends who will be there for you and be positive encouragment throughout, you are blessed! Enjoy it, but not too much:P

If I was to give advice to my old self, I would tell myself to find out what he really wants to do with his life. Choose something you would enjoy doing, and make sure its right. It is way more important to do something you love then to choose the wrong thing for your life. Learn how to study properly. Classes will be difficult, and it will be stressful. Do not ever be afraid to get help from someone. People are there for you to help out, and give advice for you. You can't do everything by yourself, and sometimes other people have wisdom that they can give to you. Learn to be financially responsible. Now that you are away from your parents, it is your job to pay your way for social events. Learn to save, and learn what things you should truly value in life. Money is a very scarce resource, and you should try to watch over it as best as possible. Above all, believe in yourself. Don't count yourself out. Things will be hard, but I know you can make it through it. That would be my advice.

Candace

Take Better Notes! Even though you took both Physics and AP Physics, you still have to take it again. Also, Please take the AP English Exam, just another class towards college graduation. Save your money now, because college is very expensive and you never really know what you have to pay for at any given time. You will have some hard times, but remember Mommy and Daddy have always got your back, through the 100's and 57's. I would tell you to make great friends, but you always do and stick with them. Just stay focused, stay prayed up, and stay calm because you can do this, you already are.

Ivan

My senior year in high school was stressful in meeting deadlines for college applications. Entering college I would advise myself to quickly get to know your faculty and students. This exposure will definitely help me pursue my major more quickly with more focus, less insecurity, and smoother transition.

beheridew

If I could go back in time, I would have so much to tell myself. College is no joke and moving into a university such as the Georgia Institute of Technology is definitely not an easy task. My mind set my senior year of high school was no where near where I needed to be moving into college. I would most likely slap myself silly and explain to myself that I need to realize that I am receiving an amazing opportunity and need to start thinking about my future. As far as other advise for living on campus, I would let myself know that living on my own is not the same as having my mom clean and look after me. That first year on campus is a test of if you can handle maintaining your own self and it requires much more attention and focus than living at home. The last thing I would advise myself is that college is an overwhelming environment but it is important to stay calm and never lose sight of your goals and the reasons why you chose to pick that school.

Bret

Bret, I can now say with full confidence in my words that I love you for who you are. You will take several years for you to understand that, but have faith that things will get better. We were in dark times and they were in no way your fault. You will accomplish great things in your time and you no longer have to be afraid of being alone again. The transition will be hard for you, but strive ever onwards. You have the ability within you. Conquer it. My advice for you is find love for yourself. You will travel alone, but only for a time. Soon, you will find a ray of sunshine that brings you out of darkness and into the light. Yes, you are broken, but you will be rebuilt into something wonderful. Do not lose sight of who you are and do not be compromised by others. I can say this in full confidence because I have met her. She who will give your life a meaning you cannot even comprehend. She is beautiful and I cannot wait for you to meet her, hug her, and love her.

Kinzie

Kinzie here is a list that I think will come in handy for your upcoming semester at Georgia Tech. 1. Remember that you are a whole person & that to neglect any one aspect of health is to neglect them all. 2. Just because someone is nice to you does not mean they have your best interest at heart or good motivations. 3. Remember to be discplined in all things, because discipline leads to freedom which alone leads to happiness. This discipline will serve you well in school and in life. 4. Everyone fails, everyone falters its what you do after falling that matters. Perserverance is the most important aspect of success. 5. Love yourself and surround yourself with people who love you. 6. Remember that thoughts turn into actions, that actions turn into habits and habits turn into you. So think happy thoughts! 7. This is going to be the biggest challenge of your life, when you get here you are going to feel overhwlemed at first. Just take a deep breath, understand that it is a good thing to be challenged and once overcome it will be a constant source of pride. 8. Always do your best.

DeJon

I would tell myself to to change the way i study and to concentrate on time management. I'd also tell myself about building connection in school as the are cruicial for internship.

I would tell myself to relax, going to college is a stressful time. Being out of your parents' house brings new responsibilities and problems. You are gonna wish you lived in their house still but you need to keep going and make your own world. Mom and Dad are not going to be around forever and you need to learn what it is like to live in world on your own. Relax and enjoy your experience but make sure you work as hard as you do in highschool. College is not any easier, despite what you may believe.

I would look myself in the eye and say, "Jordan, college is very, very difficult. Especially if you are going into engineering, prepare yourself for long nights, and problems that are more difficult than anything you have every encountered. But more importantly, just stay true to yourself. Remember that girl who loves volunteerism? She is still in there. Remember the girl who loves to learn, and question the material? She is still in there. Don't compare yourself with others, and it's okay to not get the best grades, or be the best. Just always remember to be the best version of yourself because YOU are the only person that you need to impress. Remember to set aside some time for you and only you. Remember to not be too hard on yourself. Remember to stay close to your friends and family that you had before college. Make friends who are different than you; learn and put yourself out there." Although I did many of these things, you can get lost in the moment and forget how to feel. I would always remind myself of the dream, and not to get lost with the rush around me.

Arlette

The biggest thing to know is not to procrastinate. I know in high should you were able to make perfect scores on tests without even studying, but college is completely different. You have to study and on time! Studying at 4 am in the morning will not get you that A you want. However, all the rumors that A's are impossible to get at Georia Tech are completely false. If you're willing to put the work and time into it everything will be fine. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors about grading or anything you don't understand. Again the rumor that professors don't care about you are completely false, and don't wait to get help. There is no shame in asking for help and the sooner you get it, the less stress you will have that semester. Don't procrastinate and trust in your abilities. Georgia Tech is a difficult school, but it will mold you into being the person you need and want to be one day.

You're a mess, and you need to get a lot in order before hitting campus. College can be a fresh start if you make it a fresh start, which means you need to lay to rest all of high school. You need confidence more than anything at this point. No amount of mine or anyone else's cheerleading will give it to you, it has to be an internal change, where you know who you are and who you want to be. Start by becoming more athletic. It will give you much more confidence in yourself physically and mentally. Next, find a room with a friend or aquaintance, do not start off college alone. If you cannot, find friends and keep them close. Make an effort to be with them. Give everyone you meet a chance to get to know them. Finally, never ever let anyone control your self esteem or tell you who you should be, either directly or indirectly from their actions. If you can get the confidence you need now, you will be set up for success. I wish you the best, my friend.

Barbara

17-Year-Old Me, Right now you're excited and nervous. You've heard a million diferent bits of advice from a dozen different sources. You and your classmates' lives have been picked apart under the microscope, your past accomplishments weighed and measured for their apparent scholastic worth. It seems like your entire future is on-the-line, with all the pressure to succeed as the lines between the "winners" and the "losers" are drawn. I'm here to tell you it's not ALL going to be okay. Some days the obstacles will feel overwhelming and your options limited. Sometimes you won't perform up-to-expectations and your future won't appear so bright. Sometimes you'll feel lonely, and, yes, believe-it-or-not, you'll miss high school. But I'm also here to tell you - don't worry. Don't waste time worrying about what others think of your college, major, resume, or rankings. Don't be led astray by prestige - impressing others is meaningless if it makes you unhappy. Spend less time worrying about the future, and more time learning about yourself. Enjoy even the college struggles. Trust me - it goes by fast. -BH

If I could go back in time and take to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely have told myself to take advantage of every opportunity. I used to feel as though money would come to me and I wouldn't have to put in any effort to get it, I found once I graduated my thoughts were completely false. I didn't have enough money to begin college last year, that's when I was supposed to but now I've took it upon myself to become in charge of my own education. When I was in highschool, college was on the back burner and it should've been my top priority. I would tell myself that everything will not be handed to you simply because you have a diploma in your hand, success requires hard work and that's something that I've learned being out of school for nearly a year and a half. I always wish I could go back in time but it's not how you start in my eyes, it's how you finish.

Tamela

I am a 41-year-old mother of two boys. I started college the fall after high school graduation at a four year state university. I had a scholarship that covered most of my tuition and expenses; however, I left college after one semester to get married. I planned to continue my college education, but things got postponed and I never went back to school. This marriage lasted about a year. I remarried and became the mother of two wonderful boys, and my education got postponed until they were older. I was very fortunate to get a job as a medical transcriptionist in which I could work from home and still take care of my children. They are older now and I am back in college in pursuit of my associate's degree. I am working full-time while going to school and taking care of my family. My advice to my high school self would be to finish college before starting a family. I am blessed to have a wonderful family, but college life certainly would have been easier as a single young adult with no financial responsibilities and the assistance of my parents.

WooYaa

The name of collge does not matter. Students should pick the study fields they "eager" to study and pick the school with according fields. When students are not sure about their majors, that is totally fine. Then they can choose their colleges with their preferences. For better and more specific education and future job, I think it is very important to choose the school which has good programs of fields I want to study about. Think about the fields or major you want to study and choose the college. You will never regret.

I would tell myself to just be prepared to sacrifice some social events for your school work. Just skipping a couple of events is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and it will make an impact on your grades. Always remember that if you are not happy about a situation, like your major, classes, anything, make a change because being unhappy is the worst thing that can happen to you in the best years of your life. Also remember that everyone is struggling just as much as you are and there are people out there that do not mind helping you succeed.

Angel

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. I was very lax in terms of funds for college and did not believe in myself enough to keep applying for scholarships after being rejected for a few. However, I read about a man that became a famous door-to-door salesman. He would go to about one hundred doors a day and at least one person would buy what he was selling. His method led to his success and his story inspired others to keep trying. If I had used that mentality and kept applying, I might have won more scholarships. Today I am worried about how I will pay off my loans after graduation while trying to focus on completing school in a timely manner. Although I am blessed to have the opportunity to attend one of the best schools in the nation, paying off student loans is still a burden I would rather not bear.