Statesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Southern University

Nicholas

Attending a small school in central Georgia, I learned to cherish my classmates as if they were my brothers. As the years progressed and college was no longer just a distant idea, we would discuss for hours what this new step in our lives was going to entail. College acceptances came back and those whom I had lived right down the street from for my entire life were now going to be attending various colleges around the country. We coined the term NSD- “Nervous, Scared, Depressed”. We were Nervous of what the upcoming experience would be, Scared of the challenges ahead of us, and Depressed to be leaving our childhood friends and the town we loved so much. If I could talk to my high school self, I would change this negative phrase to “New, Stimulate, Direction”. College is New, both positive and negative experiences that truly Stimulate your mind, helping you to overcome obstacles. It provides Direction for you to learn what you truly value in life. It is more than four years away from home and friends; it changes you, molds you, and helps you to determine what purpose you serve in the world.

One thing I discovered upon leaving Georgia Southern University and starting my role in "the real world" was the lack of fundamental training on software that is used across all industries. I find that this holds true for most, if not all universities. There is an emphasis on memorizing class materials which has a negligent presence in corporations across the country. Instead of the traditional educational approach, I believe universities should purchase and provide training on software packages that major organizations are using. This way students can come out of their education gaining a valuable, technical skillset.

I think it is extremely hard to narrow a student to a particular "kind of person". While at GSU, I had the wonderful opportunity to meet students from all over the world. There is an international presence at the university that brings wonderful diversity and pride to the campus. If I had to list a kind of person, I would say one that is committed to school, and not there to "party". Too often students had to leave due to poor grades, and not taking their education seriously.

Shannon

Take high school seriously. Study harder because you will need to have that foundation for your first year of classes. Take your first two years of classes seriously once you get into college. When professors see your dedication, it opens doors later on down the road. Respect the professors' time and read the syllabi and grading rubric before turning in assignments because that will help you to better understand what the professors are really wanting from you. Also, read the textbooks and research your questions before asking your professors. Try to understand the material before going to class to prevent asking questions that the books answer, which also helps you better understand what is going on in class. Learn how to understand concepts instead of memorizing facts because that is what sticks with you as you progress from freshman, to sophmore, to junior, to senior. Keep in mind that researching, writing, and completing projects takes double the amount of time that you originally think. Finally, do not waste your time while you are there. Maximize the time between classes to study and work on projects ahead of time to prevent having to stay up all night to to these things.

Lack of healthy options for eating for the students who are forced to purchase the dining plans.

Dietetic Internships cost money and are extremely competitive. Students must pay the internship site once they are accepted. Internships accept applications from all 50 states but only choose between 2-10 total students out of the thousands of applications.

Katelyn

I would tell myself as a high school senior to not go back into my old habits that I was set into during high school. This time sets your future career and no one will be able to help you turn around from your mistakes. It also costs you a lot from your pocket and time when you put the effort you need in coursework. It feels much better to get an A grade, rather than just passing through with a C. I would also tell myself to explore into different careers and participate in some volunteer work. Now I don't have the time that I would like to "try out different careers". Every moment now is spent working and trying to pay bills instead of trying to figure out what career would be best for me. Its much easier when you don't have so many responsibilities.

The worst thing about my school is how big and spread out the campus is. The lack of parking will be an issue as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of explaination I receive. There are so many students there, so things cannot get done on time.

ashley

Considering all the transitions and complications I have experienced throughout my senior year of high school, I would say that I now have a lot of handy tips for the "old me". Tip number one: no procrastination. Procrastination is a horrible habbit for anyone; it's easy to get off track, but it is critical to stay focused. If you keep putting things off until the last minute, you will stress over assignments and you will be rushed to finish them. In the end, lack of time does not allow you to think to your full ability. Tip number two: sign up for more scholarships earlier. Scholarships are awarded all the time, even at the beginning of senior year. Get off that tush and get ahead of the game! Everything counts and receiving just one scholarship could help pay for books, tuition, or other educational expences. To arm any future college student with this information would be enlightening for them.

Morgan

Honestly, I haven't found anything wrong with the school. Being a freshman this year, I am still getting used to everything and everyone around me. Down the road, I will probably find little things here and there, but for right now I haven't found anything wrong about it that I need to go run and tell anybody about.

The best part about attending Georgia Southern University would be the close-knit and friendly environment everywhere you go on campus. The school focuses on making sure that every student is comfortable about the new environment and new students around them. If the students are not as comfortable as they would like to be , Georgia Southernn has many different ways to make sure each student is as comfortable as possible.

Brad

Go to New Student Orientation – This is the fastest way to get information on college resources. Time Management – Understand that taking 15 credit hours is equivalent to a full-time job. Plan on spending 2-3 hours of time on coursework outside of the classroom for each hour spent inside the classroom. Take Initiative – Ask questions, seek help, attend every class, get to know your professors and follow your degree plan. Self Reflectio

College is so much better than high school because you have so much more freedom! You have freedom to choose what time you want to have class, what you want to take, with who you want to take it...etc so it is much more interesting and easier to study because a lot of it will be for your major! Also, there are tons of parties!

You’re going to want to be polite, and have a lot to put on that application: do some stuff with clubs, student government, intramurals/other sports activities, possibly go greek, and of course have good grades!

Antoine

This school is best known for it's Business, Computer and Information technology program. Also this school is best known for it's campus beauty, and awesome research facilities.

If I went back in time to give any advice to my high school self, it would be to "Keep a positive mind set. The mind is the most powerful tool in the world because everything you see before you was in someone's mind before it came into reality. In fact everything you do is first proceeded by a thought, and then it becomes an action. Scientists proven that your thoughts are real because they cause biological and physiological effects. Your body responds to mental input as if it were physically real. Moreover you can use your mind to think good or bad things. In high school my thoughts would limit myself; my mind was literally trapped in a box. But now I'm telling you thinking optimistic can unlock your potential, and thinking pessimistic will block your potential. If you want to be class president go ahead! If you want to join the basketball team, you can do it! If you see a girl you like, then you go and get her! ' You can do anything if you set your mind to it!' Finally stay away from negative people because they will lower your mind to their level."

The type of person who shouldn't attend this school are the types that are not serious about their school work and life. One of the most dangerous things to do is waste your time because time is the currency of life, and time wasted is life abused.

Katherine

My school is like a family. Everyone that goes here loves the school and wants to make a difference here. During sports events, all the locals come and I think that is very unique.

I would tell myself to get them ost involved as I can while I am first year. The friends that you make at the beginning of college are the friends you will have forever. I would also tell myself to take advantage of professor's office hours because they care and want to get to know their students as best as they can. This would also help in the future for references for scholarship or getting into a certain school. I would also tell myself to know how to separate you social life from your school life. I had a few friends this semester that messed up because they did not focus on their school and just worried about their social life

I love the size of my school and the amount of students in my classes. I like having the smaller class sizes because I learn better in these settings and have better relationships with my teachers. Everyone I talk to is kind and always asks if I need any help if i look confused. Everyone here is willing to help even if they do not know exactly what is going on.

Cierra

I would say it is never to early to prepare for your future. Start thinking about what you are passionate about and network into that field. Volunteer as often as you can, where ever you can because that experience could qualify you for a job in the near future. Always ask questions because people love to see you willing to work and learn what you need to do to succeed. Also don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone beacuse you never know what you actually like until you try something diffrent. Enjoy your time beacuse it goes by so fast, so don't wish the future to get here so soon. Be sure to work hard first and play hard after. Take a break when you need to, because you will need the energy later, and learn how to manage your time wisely beacuse too much idle time is never a god thing. Last, but not least do everything with integrity and represent yourself well where ever you go, this means honesty, trustworthy, and dependability. Find a support system of likeminded indiviuals or friends to motivate each other through hard times. Dont worry Be happy! Smile

There is only one Walmart, which serves 4 other counties

Meagan

Study and get the best grades you possibly can. Take AP classes and a variety of subjects. Take Spanish!!! You will be in a working world soon and you need to be able to communicate with as many people as possible. Don't party so much...plan for your future. Spend time reading as much as you can now of the books you will need to know for college. Apply for scholarships because college is EXPENSIVE!

Friends, I've made so many new friends here and I've kept my old friends as well. Walking to and from classess allows me to run into people that I may not see otherwise.

Limited access to the big city. I lived in a suburb of Atlanta and now I'm 45 minutes away from any meaningful Mall shopping or a wider choice of physicians.

Georgia Southern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.