Statesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Southern University

Kristen

If I could go back in time and change anything about my high school senior year, I would, without a doubt, get more invoved with my school clubs and athletics. I was already a cheerleader and one of the captains of the team, but I think that joining more clubs would have prepared me more for trying to get involved in college. It is very important to be involved in high school, not only because it looks good on applications and resumes, but because it encourages you to interact with other people and to take on some kind of leadership role. The people who get involved in high school are more likely to get involved in college and studies have shown that a lot of the students who are involved in various organizations have a tendency to do better in there school work. It also encourages students to make friends which makes the transition from high school to college easier than one could imagine.

The thing that I brag about the most when I tell my old friends about my school is probably the wide variety of classes that we have available at Georgia Southern. We have so many differnt classes and for most of them, you can choose to take a smaller class or a larger class depending on what makes you feel the most comfortable. I found this very comforting because I came from a smaller school where we were close to the teachers. The teachers are often very nice and willing to help because they want us to do our best.

The most frustrating thing about my school, I would say, is trying to make friends. There are so many people that it is difficult to figure out who is more like you. However, we do have a lot of different organizations and groups for the students to join which can often help with this problem, but with so many choices, it is hard to make a decision about which organizations are best for you and why. It is a great school fr people who are extroverted, but for the people who are introverted, like myself, it is more difficult.

Tanner

I would tell myself that going to my local community college was a GREAT decision even though I really want to go to a major four year school. I am so much prepared now than when I was during my freshman year. My only other advise would be to study, study, study!

Jami

Georgia Southern is the epitomy of a "large-scale, small feel" university.

Georgia Southern is the epitomy of a "large-scale, small feel" university.

When I tell friends about Georgia Southern University I brag about the campus. The campus is so gorgeous and even though a lot of students attend GSU it still has that "large-scale, small feel" atmosphere. There are also so many places on campus that students can sit and do homework or just rest and hang out. For example, Sweetheart Circle is perfect on a sunny day to rest in a hammock, lay on the grass, read a book, or a play a game of frisbee. It is personally my favorite place.

If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior there are only a couple things that I would want to say. First, I would want to tell myself how important family is. I love my family and we are extremely close, but I wish I would have known how much I was going to miss them. I would tell my highschool self, "Spend more time with them and embrace the moments that you have with them. Senior year is fun and there are a lot of events and celebrations that occur, but don't get too caught up in them because when you arrive at college you will miss those random hugs or random game nights. " Also, I would say, "Breathe." I stressed out a lot through the transition from high school to college and I should have known that it was going to be okay and worrying about it would not fix anything. Those were the two key points that I needed to hear, but there's so much that I am still learning and hopefully what I learn from my mistakes now can help others transition smoother later.

Benjamin

There are many unique things at Georgia Southern, that many other schools did not have. For instance, they have varsity athletics, the Greek system and many other clubs for any type of person, but they still remain a smaller university. Also, the weather is great year around and it is one of the most beautiful campuses that I had ever been to. Finally, the people here are very nice and helpful and they truly represent southern hospitality.

If I could go back in time and give my younger self some advice, I would tell myself to study for just one extra hour each day and try to join and be active in at least one other club. I would also advise my younger self to take the hardest classes and stay organized, because compared to college; the hardest classes in high school are the really easy ones in college. By taking these classes and staying organized, it will have better prepared me for the future, not only in college, but also in the work force someday.

The two things that I brag about the most when I tell my friends about my school is, that our football team is great and it is really fun to go to the games. I also brag about the professors and classes here. I tell my friends that not only are the professors very nice and great at teaching, but they also go out of their way to help you as long as you make the effort to get the help that you need from them.

Asea

TRUE BLUE! Georgia Southern has so much school spirit. Our football team is doing amazing. We are a D1 school and are about to move up to FBS! This is so exciting. Our school is beautifully built and we are remodelling our football stadium and expanding. Georgia Southern is AFFORDABLE and is an amazing school with an awesome environment. There is support and groups all over that love envolvement from students. I love SOUTHERN.

Statesboro is a small town. If someone is looking for a big city lifestyle then statesboro is not for them. The nearest big city is 45 minuites away (Savannah, GA). Making that trip isn't bad but that is where the nearest city with a large shopping mall and a vaariety of stores is.

College is not as hard as professors make it seem. If you stay focused and dedicated you can achieve your goals. Varsity sports in college are not the same as highschool. Coaches are not guaranteed to stay all four years. If they are not bringing in championships then they could be up to lose their job. Make sure you ask about that on recruitment visits. Off campus living is cheaper than on campus. Make sure you find a place early in the spring your freshman year to move your sophmore year or sublease. Rates will be cheaper. Meal plans are only required freshman year. If you want to save money consider only getting 3 or 6 and just eat at home the rest of the time. The food is overpriced. Always spend extra meal plans at the Market Place. That will save money on groceries.

An exciting university dedicated to the education of the student by highly qualified and competent faculty, holding advanced degrees, with the determination of continually expanding and increasing their own knowledge base.

Do not stop at just earning your college degree. You may look back and see that you graduated but could have accomplished so much more with a more dedicated study and club activity in your field of study. Spend time earning a minor or accompanying major in a completely different subject so that you can differentiate yourself from the other graduates. Find a way to gain experience through an internship as it will provide education and experience in your general or specific field of study that you cannot receive in your course work. Exploit the opportunity to study abroad because it exposes you to the world outside of the US and will help you understand the advantages you have, further providing a perspective not available at home. Lastly, remember you will fail, but only the truly successful turn failure into success. Good Luck!

One of the few remaining true teaching institutions, specializing in providing the undergraduate student with instruction by highly educated professors (best Ph.D. faculty to student ratio for public institution in Georgia) with the highest focus on student success. Each student is placed in an environment that nurtures the desire to enhance their abilities and success, post baccalaureate, while providing a positive ecomonic and social impat to the surrounding community.

Meagan

Georgia Southern offered a small campus feel. They provide a very personalized assistance program. As a first year student my fear was not being able to find the help I would need, but they discussed this with us at orienation sessions and really made me feel confident.

Support - The University offers so much support for the student. Tutorial services and labs provide the extra some students need. As a student with a learning disability I don't want to fail. This school provides the tools I will need to succeed.

If I could go back and tell my high school self anything it would be to focus on my classes and use every tool at my disposal to get the best grades. Had I known then what I know now, I would have studied so much more. Absorb as much knowledge and information as possible. Hey, don't worry so much about being accepted, popular and liked. If only I hadn't spent so much time socializing and more time doing homework and studying I would have increased my grade point average. Making friends is very important, but too much social interaction can prevent you from being highly successful. It's also important to take time for reflection and study. I would tell myself to get more sleep and feed my body healthy food. Oh and please read more! I would remind myself of that and spend my Sunday afternoons reading and resting for the week ahead. I would also ask myself to look down the road at the path ahead of me and decide what my goals are for the future. Don't wait until your in college to decide, start now!

Amber

A mojority of the dorms are suite style, as opposed to traditional, but theres still a dorm feel. It's still easy to get to know your neighbors and stuff.

Looking back there are numerous things I wish someone had told me before I started college. I think that, given the opportunity, I would go back and tell myself how important it is to set a scheduled time for studying. College isn't like highschool where one can get buy studying for a test the period before. If you want to excell you need to study ahead of time (and over time) and classes should be reserved strictly for listening to the lecture. I think I would stress the importance of a schedule and of reading the textbooks, It's easy to tell yourself that you have time, but eventualy that time runs out.

The outlying community is very small. Not people wise, but business wise. There are not a lot of things to do outside of the campus, which probably leads to the 'party-school' reputation.

Walter

College is fun and you will do well. But you also need to listen to the rest of my advice: You can’t scrape by without studying anymore. It doesn’t cut it to just glace over the notes five minutes before class starts now. Once you get done with class for the day, go to the library, and read or recopy your notes. Spend 30 minutes per class. That’s a fair amount of time without being too excessive.

This school is great for students that love sports and/or working out (generally, any athletic activity), the Greek system, and who have a lot of money to spend going to the club/bar to kill time. Also, if you can afford to purchase a parking pass, then you have more money than most of the students here.

Any student that absolutely abhors sports, the Greek system, and does not want the feeling of being “lost” in a medium-sized school should probably stay away from Georgia Southern University. You will probably hear a good number of students talk about going to a party or club/bar at night. If that bothers you, GA Southern is not for you.

Georgia Southern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.