Georgia Southern University

« See more reviews of Georgia Southern University

I considered attending Georgia State University. The factor that determined whether I would be attending Georgia State or Georgia Southern was Georgia Southern's beautiful traditional campus. Being that Georgia State is in the heart of downtown Atlanta, I felt as though its lack of a traditional campus would hender my college experience. Georgia Southern is also located in what some would call a "college town". Therefore, the school spirit is amazing and everyone makes Georgia Southern students feel right at home.

I was attracted to this school because of the individual student interaction with professors. The class rooms are small enough to where the teachers know your name, as well as your strengths and weaknesses. They are also willing to help you, more so than the professors at other universities I looked at. My realtionships with my professors have introduced me to many people and have opened doors to many opportunities. I have been able to meet many owners of businesses and hear their advice for me after college.

Georgia Southern was different because the campus is big, but not overwhelming. When I visited the first time, I fell in leve with the beauty of the campus because there is so many trees and flowers and grassy areas for students to enjoy. The layout of the campus was simple, unlike manny of the huge, overwhelming campuses I had toured. Students have anything they need right on campus, you just have to look for it, whether it be clubs, activities or sports.

It's located in a smaller town about three and a half hours away from my home town. It was a great experience to be away from all of my family and friends because it pushed me to meet new people. You will find a lot of students that are also far from home. Even though it is located in a smaller town, there is such a large number of students located in one area that there is always something to do. It is also a great campus if you love the outdoors.

There are many unique things at Georgia Southern, that many other schools did not have. For instance, they have varsity athletics, the Greek system and many other clubs for any type of person, but they still remain a smaller university. Also, the weather is great year around and it is one of the most beautiful campuses that I had ever been to. Finally, the people here are very nice and helpful and they truly represent southern hospitality.

The Georgia Southern campus has a great professor to student ratio which can offer a small class setting with high-quality teachers. I knew I wouldn't be initmidated in class to ask a question if I ever felt lost. Also, I get to apply my own opinions about the topics we discuss (an opportunity I wouldn't recieve at a larger university). Didn't hurt that the people were friendly or the campus was beautiful either.

Georgia Southern University allows to get the feeling of being in a large campus with a small-feel scale at the same time. Classes are usually around forty to fifty students and some are either a few more or less. This University has plenty of resources available for students to succeed and use to their advantage. As a Georgia Southern University student, I must say it has been a wonderful choice for myself.

Our school is large scale, but small feel. We have everything that a larger university has, but we also have that quaint home town feel to it. We have the computer labs, research facilities, and highly acclaimed professors, but you can still walk down the street and find a cute little (non-starbucks) coffee shop and people are geniunely nice...I guess you could call that Southern hospitality.

Most classes are about 30-40 people which is great for me because I like to ask a lot of questions and I like to be able to have individual attention if necessary. I also picked the school because I want to go into the specialized field of Forensic Accounting, and Georgia Southern is one of the only schools in the United States that offer a bachelors and masters in Forensic Accounting.

This school is special to me because I am at home. I didn't want to go out of town to some two year college and still wind up having to make my way to another college or university, and have to travel much farther from my family, which was something I definitely did not want to do, considering the way the economy is heading these days. Everything including money is tight.