Georgia Southern University

« See more reviews of Georgia Southern University

One thing I discovered upon leaving Georgia Southern University and starting my role in "the real world" was the lack of fundamental training on software that is used across all industries. I find that this holds true for most, if not all universities. There is an emphasis on memorizing class materials which has a negligent presence in corporations across the country. Instead of the traditional educational approach, I believe universities should purchase and provide training on software packages that major organizations are using. This way students can come out of their education gaining a valuable, technical skillset.

In my opinion, the worst thing about Georgia Southern University would be the communication between the different major departments on campus. This year, I began my Junior year and my core major classes, and being an International Trade major, I am required to take business classes as well as international studies classes. I have discovered the lack of communication between those two departments when it came to be advised for the upcoming spring semester. I believe if the different college departments here communicated more with each other, it would ease a lot of frustrations students have.

The worst thing about GSU is the parking situation. At a school with 20,000+ students, it is a fact that the campus is not small by any means. Unfortunately, the parking facilities are limited, this leaves certain students either lacking a parking spot or walking a substancial distance to every class. Class is not the only problem, there are facilities such as the library which also lack parking accessibility. Around finals the library is home to many students and the parking situation leaves many walking long distances in the dark. If anything could be changed I'd pick parking.

Georgia Southern is amazing with small class sizes, large campus atmosphere and great dorms, teachers and technology but some disadvantages at Georgia Southern are the low admission standards and fact that there is nothing to do in town. Georgia Southern is a great value school that is unknown but really a outstanding school but the school has a high admission rate and that is one issue. Many of students on the low standardize test score side come here without the intent to really dedicate themselves to their studies, that paired with the small town leads to alot of drop out.

I feel that the absolute worst thing about this university is the financial aid office. When going through the meetings and touring the school the staff of Georgia Southern heavily emphasizes that they are easy to work with and everyone should be able to pay for college. This is not true, the staff in the financial aid office are not at all committed to helping students pay for college they are in fact rude. Also Georgia southern is not easy to work with in financial situations, they only accept certain loans making it hard on students and parents alike.

The worst thing about Georgia Southern University is the lack of minorities. In hig school you take a lot of things for granted. One of those things is the diversity within the student body. At Georgia Southern there are many white and black students, but when it comes to other races we lack. You start to miss the conversations in spanish you would hear walking the halls, and the sounds of asian instruments coming from the chinese club. If Georgia Southern accpeted more minorities, then it would seem like more of a melting pot .

Team spirit is the worst thing about Georgia Southern University. We have sports similiar to major univirsities, such as basketball and football. However, our stadium isn't half-way full on game days for football. Very few poeple go to watch our basketball team. Maybe a handfull knows when our soccer games are. If we had better spirit, I believe our school would be bigger, as well as more united. We would believe in each other more and be more willing to help one another, especially support our school's sports teams.

To me, one of the worst things about my school is the lack of fastpaced city life around. Although this is a matter of opinion, it can be cultureshock to someone who comes from a big, fast city, to the quiet and mellowness of my campus. Although there are many exciting things going on around campus, a person should consider the entire atmosphere of the city. Although the campus might not be walking distance to some of the latest fashion boutiques, this is made up for by the many other activities on campus.

Finding a compatable roommate. (Heat & bugs are somewhat of a problem in fall.) There isn't much I don't like. I really like the campus, the professors, and the classes for the most part. I don't like having to use the meal plans . I feel I have to get those in before Monday or I loose them, so that makes me pretty much have to eat on compus a lot. However, I do like being able to use my meal plans at the campus store to get milk, bread, water or things I might need.

This is a difficult question to ask because Georgia Southern has hardly any flaws. They are very stern about the rules they set, especially concerning alcohol and drugs, and treat these situations no differently than a normal authority would. However, the administration also understands that they are dealing with college students who are very curious and this is taken into consideration if a student has been caught their first time.