Glendale, CA
Glendale Community College-Glendale, CA

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Glendale Community College-Glendale, CA

Patricia

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to go to a community college first, then transfer to a University because I made the mistake of going straight to a University. After thirteen years of public school where it is the teachers' and your parents' job to make sure you are present everyday and pass their class, the transition into college life is a drastic one. At the University, the proffesors are not as strict on attendance and do not babysit you and hold your hand so you can pass their class. Also, my parents were not to be held responsible if I should decide to skip class. I wish I would have attended my classes every day because I took advantage of my proffesors' lack of discipline and did not pass half of my classes. I then changed my major and transfered to a community college where the proffesors are only strict on attendance because of the cuts in classes. I would recommend junior colleges to students because they are a small step towards independence as opposed to a giant leap.

The worst thing at GCC is other students taking their classes seriously. Because of the recent budget cuts, there are less classes available which makes it difficult to register in classes. Hence, it is frustrating when you cannot enroll in the classes you need when they are filled with other students who drop the class half way through the semester. Also, if you are partnered up with a classmate who is not serious about the class, your grade can be negatively affected.

For being a community college, the proffesors are well qualified and most have taught or currently teach at other colleges and universities. Therefore, I know that I am being properly educated which will help me adjust when I transfer to another college or university. Also, my school has an outstanding transfer rate so I more likely to transfer from GCC than any other community college in our district.

Liliana

If i had the ability to give myself some advice in the past before I entered college it would of definately have been to learn how to drive! The bus is a torture in East LA! I spent 5 dollars everyday on a "TAP" card to transport myself to and from college. Sometimes I deprive myself lunch because I can't afford to spend tommorrow's transportation money. Even though a car is by comparison far too expensive it would of made a difference on rainy days traveling four hours from East LA to Glendale College (especially for me because I get car sick). The second advice I definately struggeled without in my transition was my lack of cooking skills. In my first months in college, there were days when i starved because I couldn't cook and therefore couldn't take a meal with me to school. I knew the situation with money in my home was "tight" and couldn't work up the nerve to ask my mother for lunch money. If i would of known how to drive and was capable of cooking my own meals I would of definately had a confortable first year in college!

A person who enjoys the "city life" more than a country setting should not attend GCC. The campus is full of green vistas all around. The mountains on the right side of the campus is the most precious jewel the college has been bestowed. The weather in the campus can be frustrating at times especially with heat waves that torment the campuse for several weeks at a time, luckily most of the classrooms have an AC.

The most frustrating thing in my school is how much people smoke. You walk into the patios it reeks of tobacco everywhere. You would think in a college full of people looking to further their education there would be educated people who knew the consequences of smoking! If you lower your gaze to the concrete you step on you will find a graveyards of cigarret buds for as long as your eyes can view! Worst is how the petition to ban smoking from the campus only received five signatures.

Zariat

I would tell myself that it is not as easy as I thought. There is a lot of finicial and mental stress that takes a toll over you're body. You have to learn how to become independent and the schedule in college does not work around you like it does in high school. You have to keep yourself focused and you are the only person watching you're back. I would also tell myself that I should apply for as many scholorship opportunites to help me get where I want to in life. I have to get myself to understand that no one will hold my hand through the process anymore and that getting money for college is a very tough and competetive process that takes a lot of work.

I wish I knew how to get money to transfer to an out of state university before realizing I have to do it on my own.

Someone who is still not sure what or who they want in life. The person should grow into the idea of college ant get a taste of college life before transfering to a university of some sort. This person should dip into all the fields of education and decide on what they want to become in life.

Shannon

The school I am at right now is only temporary. I am planning to transfer to Azusa Pacific University. This school is unique because not only does it have a great education reputation but it does it with a faith based perspective. I am excited about this because I want to work in corporate world and do Marketing, but I want to learn how to do it the RIGHT way and with integrity. This school will give me the opportunity to learn it from people working with ethics that want to help me learn to work that way too.

Much of what I have learned since I graduated high school are things I wish I could have had revelation about before I had to experience them first hand. If I could go back, the advice I would give myself is, "Shannon. You have to learn to do everything with integrity." I have had the opportunity to experience things that most people my age wont experience until they are done with college. I have had the opportunity to see people in the corporate world and unfortunately I have seen the unethical ways that people act. I have learned the difference between doing something for someone else and doing something to help make the world a better place. I have learned that if you do things with integrity-and people don't agree with you, at least you know you're doing the right thing. If I could go back in time I would love to tell myself that. I believe that if more people lived their life with integrity we would have far less problems and it would be much easier to work together. I want to help change the world-and I want to do it with integrity.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that I am not able to do everything I would like to do. Because most classes are during the day I am only able to do a small amount. I have been a full time volunteer at a non-profit in Los Angeles called the Dream Center (dreamcenter.org) and working part time at Starbucks as well as doing full time school. It is the only way I can afford anything, but because of my schedule and trying to afford it, it limits the amount of classes I can take.

Grazian

The unique thing about our school is that it is not as big as other community colleges, but the people have huge warm hearts that are always there to help you. An example would be the program that i am in, which is Achieving College Excellence. They provide the help you need to fulfill your needs. Coming from a low income family, I did not have a laptop to use, so the ACE program have free laptops that you can borrow and work on your assignments. There are also tutors, and they provide healthy snacks for everyone.

Dear Past Grazian, I advice you to take everything seriously. I know that senioritis is kicking in, but don't give up. You should have taken your English class more seriously, so that you would be placed in a higher English level in your college, and fulfill your prerequisites. For your last year of high school, you should have also taken Calculus. If you have taken that class, you could have been taking a higher level of Math as well. I also advise you to start looking at majors, and possible schools to transfer. You should have used sites such as assist.org to plan your path. Furthermore, you should start learning how to take in information, just by reading and taking notes. Learn how to be more responsible, and not rely on others. Do your OWN work, and not others. Use your time wisely. Every hour counts. Also, I know that you are an unpatient person, but you need to start letting go of that. You need to realize that a lot of hard work, requires patience and discipline. I hope that you become a successful and remember to not give up, and strive for more. Sincerely, Grazian

A kind of person that should attend this school is someone who is a hardworking, responsible, motivated and work great with other students. I realized that in this school, there are so much dedicated students, who are determined to get a great grade for their class. Students that would do anything to pass their final. An example is a 2 day study session for my math final. I studied with a group of students. Not only i gained a lot of knowledge and experience, but also I gained friends that I can keep for the rest of my years here.

Marilie

Schreiner is a wonderful campus with many great people. You can always count on your professors to help you with anything.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to work harder academically. In high school we really were not taught how to study for a major test or any test at all. I have learned that if you really want to make an "A" in a class you need to do a lot of studying, and not the night before. Coming to college and not being prepared, or the lack of studying, kept me from achieving a few of the goals I had set for myself.

I believe that anyone who gets the chance should attend this school, unless they are not willing to make friends and socialize with others.

Angela

If I could go back 14 years ago and give myself advice on education and what to do with my life. Here is what I would tell myself. Angela, you are on the right track and heading in the right direction. You are graduating high school early and have been awarded a scholarship for 1 year. You did the right thing on taking all of your general education requirements because when you decide to go back to school this will help you in pursuing your dream. Cosmetology school was a great idea and it's a wonderful trade to know and will help you while you are back in school. But there is more for you to achieve, do not wait to long to go back to school because the more time that goes on the harder it will become. You'll find that through your journey that you can not put a price on education and no one can take that away from you. Remember to always make sure that you are constantly learning, even from your mistakes. ?The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn - and change" written by, Carl Rogers.

Aram

Outstanding learning environment contributes to students being prepared for transfer to 4-year-universities, associate degrees, and in life with the tools of success from the preparation of brilliant instructors and faculty willing to help any individual in any way needed.

The outstanding learning environment allows the students to fully engage in learning as well as socializing with students within the community. The diversity in races and ethnicities gives minorities a felling of welcome and acceptance. Being Armenian, there is a feeling of acceptance and purpose when surrounded with other Armenian students at Glendale Community College. The school itself also has great instructors willing to help any student and gives back to the community. There is that clich? that there is no place like home; well, Glendale Community College is my home.

Maturity and time management are two concepts which as a high school student, I didn't understand but are vital in the college. These two concepts are what not only allow you to pass your classes, but learn. As a high school student, I only thought about passing the class and not learning which was a mistake which I regret but realized. High school should prepare you for college but I didn't feel it did simply because I was immature. I didn't care about school nor did I see the benefits from it. It isn't until after graduation when a new mindset sets in. One of which is not only mature, but wise. All our flaws come out and we try to fix them. As a high school student, I should have taken tougher classes including AP classes, make a schedule of the day every day, and do anything in my power to get involved in my community making my resume/experience seems more attractive to prestige colleges and universities. Humans aren't perfect but it's the ability to learn from our mistake which makes our species great.

Lorelle

Glendale Community College provides students with great atmosphere and skills.

Glendale Community College provides students with great atmosphere and skills.

The advice I would give myself is 1) to take high school curriculum seriously before entering college. Bases on personal experience, being unprepared and feeling behind of among other classmates just made learning much more difficult in college. 2) College life requires more self discipline than high school. In college, you pick your own classes and it's your responsibility to complete those classes.

A person who takes his or her education seriously and wants a family oriented vibe in a college.

Joseph

Wow, If I could go back in time to give myself advice as a high school senior, the list could go on and on. I was my senior class president, and what every leader, big or small struggles with, is to make everyone else pleased before themselves. And, as I have found out leadership is a very selfless position. The major thing I would change now that I look back would be to live a little more. Time after time I found myself strapped for making my fellow peer's senior year enjoyable that I never stopped to realize my personal needs were being put to the test. It was not until I was starting college when I realized that everything that I did was an awesome feat, but that feeling of self-actualization and fufillment was buried by endless paperwork, stress, and lack of time for the normal things teenagers do. Granted I have made some great friends doing what I did, but i feel that I should have focused more on myself. Maybe I would have found my passion quicker if I looked more into it during my high school years. However, we can not regret the past.

Glendale Community College-Glendale, CA administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.