Glendale Community College-Glendale, AZ Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Glendale Community College-Glendale, AZ

Briana

I absolutly love Glendale Community College. I am only a freshman but my advisor is extremely nice and always available. All of my instructors seem to be extremely understanding and flexible. My favorite part is the classes. Honestly I couldn't have asked for a better college.

brianna

If I could give advice to incoming students, check the rating of the professors before taking a class. Double check the classes and the requirements you need to take. Always stay updated with the requirements. If you need help don't be afraid to go check out the tutoring centers or even make a friend or two in class to help each other out if needed.

GCC is an okay school, could be better possibly more variety of courses.

Sesay

Glendale community college is a great place for everyone else, regardless of ages, races, or color. The tutoring is perfect, and all the teachers do their best to make learning materials available for students. The administration does their best to provide answers to questions from the media, public, and students.

Tina

My overall option of Glendale Community College is that it's a good starter school for the cost. I recommend all incoming high schoolers considering college take their core classes, or as many classes as they can, here, because not only does it save them money, the classes are most of the time interesting and intellectually-based. The one thing I would want to change is advisement. Both the efficiency and the help received.

Vanessa

Because of a smaller student population, GCC is able to offer small class sizes and provide tutoring for struggling students. The campus is clean, and the environmentalist on campus ensure that it remains green. The professors have consistent office hours, and they communicate with students through email or in person. Some classes require more reading and studying than others, so grades are not given out but earned.

I went to Glendale Community College because it was close to home and I could afford it. GCC has 2 campuses, North and Main, I will be talking about the main campus. The school is fairly large for a CC and has cool facilities like a pool, gym, and science building. Sports isn't a huge part of school life, but they are there if you're into that sort of thing. The student union is pretty cool: they have a lounge area with TVs and computers and couches; there is a coffee shop inside; a rec room, and a cafeteria area where you can buy food, snacks and drinks. The parking lots are huge though they quickly fill up when school starts and after 8 or 9 o'clock. The enrollment center can be a bit chaotic at certain times (when the semester starts and ends, during enrollment periods, and during deadlines for dropping classes); wait time isn't horrible, but it depends on student traffic and staff numbers. Some advisers are helpful while others are not, it's really hit or miss. In my experience, all of my professors have been great. They are helpful, knowledgeable, and treat you like real college students. I don't feel that they "dumb down" the material and they hold high expectations. Rate My Professor has been a big help for me when choosing my classes and instructors. Student life isn't comparable to that of a university. However, GCC does offer plenty of clubs and organizations to be part of and I highly suggest joining at least one of them. There are leadership, volunteer, and scholarship opportunities available for those that are part of those organizations. Overall, I'm glad I chose GCC to start out my college career and for the most part, I would say that this school is worth your time and money.

Brandon

GCC is an interesting and great school to go to. The classes are easy to understand and the professors are there to help in any way shape or form. Depending on your lifestyle and/or disabilities, GCC will help to make sure you succeed in your progress of college life. They work for you, so all you have to do is get the school work done and get a job.

Michaela

It's a good place to get transfer credits, earn a certificate, or even just to take a class or two for fun and personal interest. The classes are interesting, and the staff is overall very good from the teachers right to the office help. The place is ripe with opportunity and learning.

Elin

Let's face it. It's community college. Your high school friends are transferring to the nearby UCs, and your debating why you didn't go to CSUN. All you know about GCC is the immense Armenian population and the lack of parking. Trust me, I was embarrassed to say that after working so hard in high school and taking all those AP classes I ended up at GCC; but I have never been so thankful for not choosing CSUN instead. Let's break it down, financial aid at GCC is PHENOMENAL. Truly, if you don't receive aid, it's probably because you can afford the extremely reasonable price tag of $200 a class. Compared to the minimum of $10,000 tuition you'd pay everywhere else, CC is the way to go. Now, you're probably wondering why to pick GCC over PCC or SMCC - the campus is so cozy, you wouldn't even mind. I genuinely think environment is important for a student thriving, and having a small cozy campus makes you feel like you're in high school and you'll forget you're a college student. Now the others - social life, food, resources. There are students who come to campus to go to class and walk out, but the Associated Students (AS) on campus (which I highly recommend to join) is so professionally respected, that they have student representative seats on meetings with deans; and as a past rep, I can honestly say they prioritize the students' voice over playing political games. Also, the AS are extremely open with clubs on campus. They work together to make campus life more fun, and work close with clubs to make activities and accommodate. One of the most famous programs is the Scholars Program, aka your fast pass to UCLA. I highly recommend you join this program ASAP. Classes are not too difficult, and the social life between the group is extremely tightknit. Keeping a stable GPA and being in Scholars practically hands you your UCLA acceptance. The food on campus is not the food courts you'd find at other UCs because realistically, nobody is on campus long enough to need so many choices. There are two cafeterias on campus, two coffee shops, and many fast food joints walking distance; plus it's Glendale, you're a 5 minute freeway ride to Montrose and 3 minute drive to In N Out. Importantly, the campus is extremely resourceful. There are so many offices ready to help students out, especially the counselors. I highly recommend new students visit the Transfer Center ASAP because the counselors are very passionate about a student's success. There is also a student center, "Sandbox" as a kinesthetic learning environment with computers, free tutoring at the Learning Center, and a Math Discovery Center specifically for math, where students AND professors tutor. The library has clean and abundant rooms and was recently renovated. I can't imagine what more you need - and if you can think of it, the AS provides a grant every semester for students to pitch their campus improvement ideas. Talk about reasonable! Class size is extremely reasonable. There are some classes that are in the auditorium or have a big size, but those are usually 101 intro classes. The professors, either way, are always available at their office hours, after class, through email, and you can get tutoring from a past classmate curated for each teacher and class through a Supplemental Instructor (SI). In my two years, I have never had a problem with a professor or getting a class I wanted. I cannot recommend​ GCC enough! As a student with a 3.5 in high school debating on going to CSUN, I can now proudly thank GCC for helping me because I will be transferring to my dream school, UC Berkeley next year. Be open minded, find your resources, and make community college your new home!

Shannon

Glendale Community College is a safe and aspiring school. I enjoy all of the students that I meet in my classes and love hearing about their diverse backgrounds. This school has helped opened my mind by inspiring me to pursue a career in science.

Kyle

LOOKS:If one were to drive by or curiously roam about the campus, then he would be amazed with the campus' beautiful architecture, clean floors, and well-kept grass; However, once you being to enter the depths of the campus, you'll see many classrooms that require fresh coatings of paint, or better doors! Overall, most buildings are outstandingly fabulous; As are the classrooms. PEOPLE: As of now, all of my experiences with the general office workers have been pleasant. In regards to the classroom, my professors have been lovely. (Students should definitely utilize ratemyprofessor to attain the best instructors.) On the other hand, the students were exactly as I had expected. Despite my being a 16 year old boy, I have managed to score among the top tiers of my class. Many young students aren't the brightest! Lastly, on this campus, you will see students of many ethnicities, and ages (mostly 20s-30s)

yajayra

Glendale Community College is a lot better than I expected it to be. Many people I know have stated that Glendale is a terrible school and they would go to any other school besides Glendale and I cannot see why they would say that. I enjoy attending Glendale, it is a very diverse, safe, and the teachers and students there are great.

Vanessa

My overall opinion on Glendale Community College is great. Anywhere from enrolling for the first time to getting continuous advisement for my desired career choice. I have had great experiences especially when it comes down to the instructors. The instructors here are truly invested in the students and acknowledge students needs by offering further explanations. I have encountered some instructors who have helped me improve in the class and to encouraged me set higher expectations for myself.

Vanessa

Glendale Community College was a good school. The class sizes are smaller and the teachers genuinely care about their students and the success of their students in the class. There is a good feel when you are on campus. It is well maintained and has many areas to sit and study. There is a coffee shop as well as places to eat. The students are generally friendly and there are many opportunities to get help in your classes from other students, teachers, and others.

Junny

People will help you if you ask for help and it's really friendly there. My first day there was really good since I did get some help and advice for classes and tests. I have meant some real understanding teachers there and the tutors there are good to at least the ones that I've meant. So overall its a good school for beginners who want to start college.

Takiyah

Glendale Community College is a nice quiet neighborhood college. I only attend at night so I don't participate any campus activities and the cafeteria is usually closed by the time I arrive at school. There are vending machines all over class with a variety of snacks. The professors are friendly and are usually available by email on non business hours.

Chester

My overall opinion of Glendale Community college is like 2 and a half star movie you watch at a theater. It's like at the time after the bad movies months but before the great movies months. You watch the trailer to the movie and you feel curious about it. Then when it comes out to theaters, you want to watch to it since nothing else really grabs you and you don't want to waste money. You get done watching it and you feel entertained, but not completely satisfied or feeling any type of different. Was it worth the money and time? Maybe, but it did what a movie was suppose to do, entertain you. That's what Glendale community college is like, it'll get done what's needed for you.

Leslie

Glendale Community College exceeds in many ways and it's mostly because of the people. Workers, teachers, students, and even visitors who make this campus what it is and makes everyone learn something new. It's a great size, not so big nor small, which comes in handy if classes end up being on the opposite of one another. There might be the littlest flaws but I'm pleased to drive around 30 minutes to GCC when Estrella Mountain Community College is around the corner from my house. Well worth my time and money, even if it sounds a bit too cheesy, I recommend this campus!

Anah

It's a great school with lots of opportunities. If you are looking to get a degree or to transfer to a university there are many options for both. The professors are always available by email and tend to respond fairly quickly to any questions. The campus is always clean and there are lots of security around for evening classes.

Diana

I attended Glendale Community College for about three years, time in which I was able to earn my Associates in Arts and graduate this past May. In the years of attending this college, being on campus I always felt like it was a safe environment in which I could engage in my education and develop into the profession I envision to be. Each course available has a great professor that is willing to focus on your education, provide you with the necessary tools to learn, and also be available to help you with any questions that may arise. I would recommend attending Glendale Community College as it is definitely the right place to attend in order to develop professionally as well as acquire a high-quality education.

Anthony

Glendale Community College is a good school, there are some things that have made me feel uneasy. For example the people in the enrollment center are not the happiest. As well as when I have asked for an adviser I have had to wait a long time only to ask for help and the adviser to tell me that I should already know what to do. As for the classes they are good teachers and some not so good when it comes to their methods. I prefer teachers to give a bit of a challenge but to make sure the students have learned about it before asking questions about things we have not discussed. And that also goes for the test some teachers might throw curve balls in to their exams. They will put questions on the exams we have never heard of. But the teachers are there to help those with questions before or after class which is great. The school is pretty safe I have felt safe there, I have not encountered a safety issue there nor have I felt unsafe. This college has taught me great things and has changed my way of thinking. But I am currently facing problems with how they set up their courses. I want to graduate but it is a bit complicated when two of your courses required are going on at the same time and on the only semester. Which means I either have to take the class elsewhere or wait for the class to start and have it be the only class I take for a semester before I graduate. I have been here since fall 2015 and I was hoping to graduate by fall 2017 but at the rate I am going I will have to wait until 2018. As for opportunities for getting work in the field of study there is limited options. Overall I like the school it has been good and not too crazy with the requirements to get a degree. I have not have had an issue with financial aid. Teachers are very respectful and kind, some more than others. Some are really into what they are teaching and some are not.

Deeksha

good

Lea

Glendale Community College seems to be more for adults who are going back to school. There isn't a lot of teens my age so it is quite hard to get that college experience that everyone talks about. However, solely based on academics, the professors that I've had so far have been absolutely spectacular. They all have a strong passion for education and they want to see their students succeed. The professors are also available at all times but, the best way to reach them is by email. Overall, I have had great educational experience here but as for the social aspect of it, I don't really care for it.

Kyosuke

I feel like the teachers care deeply about what they teach about making the class more enjoyable and interesting even if you yourself aren't interested in the subject. I also like how the students are from all ages and race which results in diverse opinions and points of view which you never thought of before. Overall Glendale Community College is an enjoyable place to be and learn.

Madde

I am a very lucky student to be able to attend Glendale Community College, simply because it is an amazing school with even greater staff. Both the North and Main campuses are convenient, as I will be attending both of them next semester. The classes, library, buildings, etc, are very easy to find. The professors and staff at GCC are extremely genuine and you can tell that they really enjoy their jobs and educating their students. I am a freshman at GCC and at the beginning of the year I was quite nervous to attend a new school with new people and staff. But everyone was and is still is significantly helpful and welcoming. I am very blessed to attend such a great school.

nathalie

GCC is a great school! This was my first year attending and I couldn't have chosen a better school to go to. Theres little to no traffic and the area is pretty safe. All the professors I've had were amazing and helpful; they really cared about what they were teaching. The cafeteria offers a variety of food and there are also lots of food places near by.

Phebe

I spent three years at glendale completing my general prerequisites and exploring the numerous electives to figure out what I wanted to major in. The class size is around 30 people and the professors are very well informed and helpful. The advisors are not well trained so I mapped out and planned my own schedule every semester; but that gave me a sense of control over my college experience. Over the years the campus has grown to be unsafe. Being a small-in-stature female I was frequently followed to my car, catcalled at, and stalked by men that I barely even shared a passing glance with. Overall, my experience at glendale was mostly positive despite having to carry a small and undetectable weapon on my person.

Lauryn

I've really loved being a student at GCC. The over all feel of the campus is very friendly and open. Everyone their is focused on their classes and the coffee shop's on campus are good. If I could stay longer than a associates degree I would. I plan on taking some classes later on in life for fun.

Janicia

Overall, I appreciate all that they have done for me like providing some scholarships available for me. I feel as if people aren't that prideful to attending this community college. People are embarrassed to say they attend GCC but I actually enjoy it.

Desiree

GCC is a great school for academics and to get your prerequisites. GCC is also partnered with NAU and has a transfer program to remain on campus to get your bachelor's degree.

Katrina

My overall opinion of Glendale Community College is above average. It is a two year institution that definitely does not receive the same funding as the larger universities around it like ASU. Despite not having a large, glittery campus the facilities offered there are more than enough to help with your college experience. Class sizes are great, the professors always learn names and are available more than a few times a week. The parking may be difficult any time after 9am classes but since the campus isn’t that large walking is never a problem. We have activities like sports games, concerts, plays, and many clubs for those that like to feel like part of a community. I would be happy to say that I would recommend my school to those looking for a smaller and less expensive college experience.

Marina

Overall, I like this community college because, they offer most of the classes that university has for a much lower price. Glendale Community College has a great staff and their very supported to the students. Glendale Community College also has a variety of tutoring services for math and help for writing your essays.

Diana

I think Glendale Community college is a fine school. It is not as big as other campuses but it has everything it needs. It is a friendly and safe environment, there is security that patrols the campus and parking lot. The classes are small but I prefer those types of classes because you have more personal conversation with other students and teachers. All the teachers Iv'e had are friendly, clear, and available whenever.

I have been at Glendale Community College for the past two years and I am about to start my third year there and overall I am very pleased with what I have accomplished. If it wasn't for the professors, tutors, and academic advisors, I would not be ahead to where I am now, progressing in college and furthering my college education, in order to have success in my future career.

Athziri

My opinion since the beginning has been the same, ever since I walked to this campus I though that the school is great. It looks and feels like an actual school, it's big, has a nice library, great staff, amazing, professors, good food, they have tutoring for all classes and if students need extra help; professors will make an appointment to work with them. I decided to come here and not at Estrella Community college because all my friends go there and I already know the school campus, I don't like it. I also want to meet new people and experience college by myself. Learn with other group of friends, find my way up without asking for too much. So far, I love being here, I already applied for next semester, I will start classes on January 18 of 2018.

ashley

overall I feel Glendale community college has been good to me my instructors have been helpful and have great guidance the only bad thing I have to say about Glendale community college is the parking is horrible its always hard to find parking unless you get to school really early

Breanna

It's a pretty good school. I've always had instructors that were easy to get a hold of and ask questions. The instructors were very helpful and did a great job in each course . The student body is so friendly that you'll likely make at least one friend in every class you take.

Lauryn

I have just started my second year at Glendale Community College. There is only one thing on this campus that makes me sad, and it's that not enough people know about the benefits of community college! Choosing to go to Glendale Community College instead of a university was a hard decision, but now I know if I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing! Glendale Community College is the best Community College in Arizona, hands down. Let me tell you why. First of all, the tuition here is so affordable, I seriously will not have any debt when I transfer to a University. This is one of the best benefits of attending community college. The atmosphere and people here are friendly and there is a big sense of community on campus. The campus is large and has many buildings and resources, such as the Student Union, the Media Center, and the High Tech Centers, which have everything a student could need, and all the best technology and staff. The professors at Glendale Community College are so caring and willing to help students do whatever it takes to pass their class and eventually transfer to a University. In addition to the professors, the academic advisors here are amazing. When putting together classes and plans for graduation, my advisor has supported me and helped me immensely throughout it all. Overall, I love it here at Glendale Community College, and I wish that more people knew about this school. It is a great place to get started in college and life.

Cami

Glendale Community is overall a very good college to attend. The buildings on campus are up-to-date, and provide many settings for either group studies or a quiet solo study session. Majority of the faculty is extremely helpful, and are there to help you succeed. The only downside is that night classes can be somewhat unnerving with the nightlife around the area, so I recommend walking in groups if you do end up taking classes at night. In the day, however, the campus is very safe, and there is always a strong presence of public safety.

Kim

I have attended Glendale Community College for the first two years of my seven year long college plan. Overall, I think this is a wonderful school and I will advise many future students to consider starting at GCC. The faculty are caring and professors ensure your education is as important to themselves as it is to you. Through GCC, I was directed to scholarships to help pay for my education and was continually encouraged with my degree/career choice by my advisor and all of my professors. GCC holds many memories and I am proud of my choice to attend this school.

Tala

This community college surely resembles a university with its size! Many people see community colleges as something not as good as universities, which is not true. It is not true especially when it come to Glendale community college, for their academics and extra-curricular activities are just amazing!

Sarahi b

I was in classes for 4 semesters, the campus doesn't really draw people to be involved. I had a very good time with some of the classes. However, I also had college professors that smart mouthed off the students when they asked questions. I am a smart person but that was a hard class when there was no way to ask him questions.

Luis

Glendale community college is a great overall college that are very helpful to their first year students by showing them around compass. Also it’s a great place to pursue an associates degree and have a great number of students who graduate from the school

Natalia

Glendale Community College is a great college professors care and help you understand the lesson. The first year counselors are moody but go to the main office there are more counselors and they are nice. A business counselor changed my schedule because a first year counselors placed me in a class I wasn't suppose to take. Overall the school is great student and teacher are friendly, if you're lost just ask someone to help and they will gladly help you find your classroom.

Terrell

It's a welcoming college, it's not something huge but it will get you somewhere. It's a very affordable college and the resources and facilities are very attractive and advanced for a community college. I think the college has some of the most interesting and interacting teachers it has to offer.

madison

I like the campus and the friendly environment that is provided. I find the campus very accessible and I would like to be a part of the basketball team when the time rolls around. For now, I am working on my career and major. I can not wait to see what the future holds.

Carl

I love it here! The teachers are friendly, and extremely knowledgeable.

Chad

Having attended the Arizona State University Tempe campus for 3 semesters, I would argue that Glendale Community College or GCC is a much better educational facility. While ASU is certainly a great school in many respects, having far more research opportunities, great facilities, and professors, the student to teacher ratio prevents students from truly learning the material, opting rather to memorize and regurgitate to pass exams. For a science major, ASU, having many labs and an average of 30 students to a lab TA, is a great option. However, for anyone who may have questions about the material, while tutors exist, getting answers or help from the professor is far more difficult than it is at GCC; wherein students can have a conversation about the material with the professor as it is being taught. My understanding of calculus, for example, is far better having learned from a professor whom I can converse with directly than from the rehearsed seminars from ASU professors. The seminars are great, but most of the learning happens outside of the classroom and it feels more like a testing facility than a classroom. The cost of attending GCC is also drastically lower, allowing students to take many pre-requisite courses at a lower cost at GCC and attending ASU for their core classes in their degree field. All of my professors have been well educated, well spoken individuals that have a deep understanding of the material and a desire to teach. While GCC is not going to compete with Harvard or Yale, it does what it sets out to do and does it extremely well.

Jacqueline

Overall, I'm really happy attending there. It is super easy to get things done and there are people there to guide you when you are lost. The campus is super nice and we have plenty of resources to us if we seek it. It is super easy and out-going to meet with counselors and advisors. I couldn't have chosen a better place to attend.