Gonzaga University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Gonzaga University

Analisa

Gonzaga has an extremely beautiful campus. It is perfect for taking walks in and enjoying the scenery. The campus is usually quiet and peaceful. I enjoyed the multiple places around campus to study at, including the student center, student housing buildings, and a Starbucks next to the campus. Overall, I enjoyed studying at Gonzaga University.

Amenah

SO good love everything about I am class of 2021 in Rogers high school when I start school there I was so happy and when I see students from Gonzaga come and talk how great the school is I get really interest in it every time someone talks about it and there some students come to our leadership class and talk with us it so much fun being with them.

I chose to go to Gonzaga because of their claim of inclusivity and diversity. Let me tell you, things are very different once you are a student (if you identify as nonwhite and have grown up around a nonwhite community). In the beginning, they have Bridge where new non-white incoming students can join and spend a weekend together to get to know one another. I learned that members of this club ended up being together the rest of their time at GU. The culture is different than the surrounding city. Spokane has a lot of homeless individuals and a drug problem, you will get the sense of it once you drive through downtown. My last year at GU I decided to study how nonwhite students felt at GU and how their overall experience was. Not only did these individuals recognize the difference in advertisements and the actual student body, but most had similar experiences off-campus with the Spokane community feeling unwelcome. Multiracial students that I spoke to were often asked "what are you?" when they first arrived. If you are thinking of going here, I highly recommend reaching out to former or current students that you can relate to to get an idea of what it might be like for you. I felt very isolated and I had no idea other student's were having the same experiences as me and I think it is because of the lack of diverse space. The cultural clubs are all together in one area and if you are a part of a cultural club, it is hard to get funding and support like the athletes do. Events for cultural clubs are there but do not have as much participation as they should. I love the lessons I learned at GU and the professors, but be weary of their claim to inclusivity and judge it for yourself before you jump in.

I really enjoy this school; Everyone is welcoming and keeps a good attitude. The professors so far have been pretty great; I've enjoyed their classes. The campus has a lot to offer in terms of extracurriculars, jobs, studying abroad and more. It's an amazing school and I'm glad I attend here

Abigail

Great academically, I loved my teachers. They were always so genuinely enthusiastic about their jobs and the success of their students. The students are not very diverse and conversations often get uncomfortable when students get stereotypical/ignorant. The administration and particularly the Title IX dept are terrible and rarely address any on campus issues. I would have transferred after my second year if it weren't for the support of my teachers, and the admin/Title IX are the reason I worked so hard to get out of here and graduate early. Other than that, the school is fun and you get what you pay for.

Regina

I think that it is a beautiful campus, the class sizes are small, my teachers know my name, the vibe during March Madness is exciting, and there is always something to do on campus. It does get incredibly cold here during the winters, the occasional snow day after Easter. The majority of the campus is caucasian. It is actually a joke amongst Zags that the student body is predominately white and that is something that we would like to see change.

Roberto

It is the best private university in the state of Washington.

Jenna

This is an awesome school, come join us and forever be a ZAG

The best part about Gonzaga is the tight community. Everyone is welcoming and willing to lend a hand, and the relatively conservative student population allows you lots of chances to find extracurriculars you like if you're not into the party scene. I came from a really small high school, so the smaller class sizes made the academic transition easy and supportive. Seriously--take a look at this school. Go to GEL Weekend. Tour the campus. You won't regret it.

Gonzaga is an amazing school and I wouldn't choose another. All aspects of this school are great, though the COG can get a bit repetitive. The professors are amazing, always accessible unless they are a rare bad one, and students are generally very nice to each other. It is a very supportive community filled with door holding and Zags Help Zags mentality.

Daisy

Gonzaga University is a good institution. Though I am not Catholic, its Jesuit mission is unique and provides a well rounded educational experience for its students. Moreover, students are challenged in their classrooms, and there is a lot interdisciplinary learning that takes places between different subjects. On campus housing is super nice and convenient, if you can afford it. Though, many students opt for off campus housing after two years. Getting a house or an apartment with your closest friends can be a nightmare or a dream come true. It has proven a memorable experience for me. Gonzaga University offers little diversity in its student population and faculty. If you are person of a minority background, Gonzaga will prove hard for you to adapt to. Still, Gonzaga is trying to make the experience for minority students better and are aware of their situation. Spokane is the 2nd biggest city in Washington, but if you come from an urban area in California, for example, Spokane will seem like a small town. Spokane makes it easy to focus on your academics. There is a lot to do when it comes to outdoor recreation if you have the means of transportation. Gonzaga provides a well rounded college experience to those looking to grow intellectually.

Celine

I am Proud to be a Zag! Although I feel the school is lacking in diversity, but there are definitely opportunities to find a group where individuals can belong. The school is very strong academically and students always have access to help in classes if they need it. I understand everyone needs to find a school that fits them, and I was lucky enough to find and be able to attend Gonzaga University.

I love Gonzaga, it is great.

Isaac

Gonzaga is great institution for academics. They offer a wide enough services no matter what you will find your group. The school is small but big enough that you will see new people everyday, but have multiple classes with the same people. Everyone is super friendly and professors are easily reached. The school lacks diversity and new dormitories.

No complaints. Gonzaga is an amazing school. Professors will always teach your classes and go out of their way to be accessible outside of class and in office hours. Students are extremely friendly and we promote a helpful atmosphere. Food is fantastic and Bulldog Bucks are a huge savior when you need a good snack or to get off campus while studying.

Izabel

Gonzaga is a great University! It is a private Jesuit school, but almost everyone gets some type of financial aid and if you do not participate in that religion or any, you will not feel pressured or left out. We are big on basketball, but if that's not your thing then there are plenty of other things to get involved in like clubs, art, and academics. The housing and food plans are good, especially when compared to other Washington state schools. The University also tends to have smaller class sizes, so you can get to know your teacher and be easily helped. Teachers are always ready and happy to help if you need it, and the academics are stellar.

Noelle

Overall I have found that Gonzaga attracts a specific type of person, whether that is interpreted positively or negatively is up to you. I came in as a transfer student which was extremely hard, much harder than I thought it would be. Most people started here freshman year and have their solidified friend groups. I have found it to be an exclusive environment socially with many barriers to forming new friendships. Academically I think that the school offers challenging courses, but I don't know how seriously students take them. I have found that many students only want to get the passing grade. I'm not sure if that's because the classes are so difficult sometimes that they don't want to put in extra work to barley pass or if they simply don't care. Overall I think GU wants to be a welcoming campus, but I don't think to anyone outside coming in that it is.

Zachary

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the campus and learning about life at Gonzaga. The academics and athletics are both stupendous and they offer a challenging course, but also provide professors and help to accomplish your goals. While being a smaller school, you have a feeling of being on a college campus and I'm happy to being calling it home for the next four years and can't wait to see how I grow as a person.

Katie

Gonzaga is great school with many opportunities. I always feel challenged by the professors who are here for us. It is easy to find them when needed. There are great options for food. It doesn't matter what your diet is, Gonzaga has something for everyone. We definitely have school spirit and it is always fun to go to a basketball game.

Adriana

Gonzaga University is full of people who are willing to help you with whatever you need, and generally the atmosphere is really positive. Overall, this university is a great place to grow as a person, pursue your education, and meet other people who have the same drive that you do. Main downside is that its super pricey so keep applying for scholarships!

Caroline

Attending Gonzaga was the best decision I have ever made. It is a school that truly cares about you. Everyone on campus, faculty included, makes you feel welcome, safe, and valued. There are plenty of groups to get involved in whether you’re into music, travel, politics, sports, Harry Potter, you name it, we’ve got a group for pretty much everyone. Although small, you don’t feel stuck or like you know every single person you pass on your walk to class. Everything previously mentioned, along with the location of being nestled in the Logan neighborhood of Spokane, yet still a 5 minute drive from the heart of the city, makes this place the perfect home away from home. There’s never a dull moment here at GU.

Omar

I think it is a great university to attend. You find everything you can possibly be looking for, and the sense of community is deeply cared for. If someone does not have the answer to your questions, they will point you in the right direction of someone who does.

Anthony

Overall a very nice school. It could be generally described as having an Ivy League character with a closer community. Don't let the Catholic label intimidate you; people go out of their way to welcome everyone here, and there are plenty of opportunities to step out of your worldview. Academia and service are at the forefront of campus life. Spokane and the surrounding communities give big city opportunities with a small town feel.

Jasmine

Gonzaga was my first choice university and I really love it. It's definitely still my dream school and I'm so happy to be here. There are some issues regarding the institutional aspects of the university but other than that, it's a wonderful school and 98% of the students I know are happy to be there.

Isabella

Gonzaga University's campus is incredibly beautiful and the perfect size. The class sizes remain between 20-30 students which allows students to get to know their professors in an embracing environment. Gonzaga allows students to partake in various extracurricular activities.

alicea

I love it here and feel at home, even though my hometown is 5 hours away. I've built a close group of supportive friends that I have never experienced before. I feel safe on campus, even if it feels like living in a bubble at times. Academically, it can be challenging, but the same goes for any college. I believe the professors here work with students to help them where they can on assignments and in life. I found it extremely easy to find a balance between my social life and academics. As cheesy as it sounds, it really does feel like a community where everyone wants the best for each other. Even if my name is never spelled correctly at the campus Starbucks. I really am lucky to go here and be surrounded by people with an inclusive mindset. From day one I've felt like I belong.

Wyatt

Gonzaga University provides a world class education with world class professors. Gonzaga is a welcoming community that supports all types of people. At Gonzaga, there are plenty of opportunities to be involved whether that be clubs, intramurals, leadership, etc. Also, Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team is often nationally ranked and going to watch a game in the Kennel is an awesome experience.

Steven

I love Gonzaga. First and foremost, the academics are outstanding. I have found that the majority of my professors make sure each student knows exactly what they will and will not need in order to succeed in their future careers, and where the resources are if they still need assistance. Second, students have countless opportunities to get involved in a variety of sports teams of all calibers, and clubs for nearly every interest or purpose - whether it's the skateboarding club or the black student union. Lastly, the student culture and individual people you will find at Gonzaga are unlike anywhere else. The best example of how the students at Gonzaga treat each other is found by simple looking at a door, where nearly every Gonzaga student will hold the door open for someone they have never seen before.

Nash

I visited the campus during the winter time. There seemed to be some amazing opportunities at Gonzaga University, from the theater program, to the pottery room, to the big game that everyone kept talking about. There was a lot of school spirit, and everyone there seemed to be working well, and hard at their task at hand. However, because Spokane was smaller, I decided that it wasn't the right fit for me. Gonzaga, however, was a beautiful campus, buzzing with life, and I was very impressed by what they had to offer.

Fkdjsj

Good teachers and nice class sizes, but in terms of courses not too many options at all. For my 3rd year I will be changing to a larger university where I can betternet pursue my major and minor (English). As far as sports go, there's basketball-- and that's about it. Intramurals are there for other sports and gonzaga loves to tout that, but these intramurals are only a month long. When I came to gonzaga I was under the impression that these intramurals were a lot better. I wasn't looking forward to playing soccer and badminton, but frankly there's not any opportunity to play badminton except for one month per semester. The courts are never available since, well, people aren't always playing basketball. Well if you like bball and nothing else you should like gonzaga

As you can imagine, deciding what college I wanted to attend for the next four years of my life was not an easy decision. Since I have chosen and begin to attend Gonzaga University, I have spent everyday being extremely grateful that I know I made the right choice. The faculty is kind and willing to help, the students are united and the university really does its best to provide you a home away from home in the beautiful Spokane community. If you are looking to be taken care of in an incredible way, far exceeding the care given by other universities, I highly suggest choosing Gonzaga. Go Zags!

Makaylah

At first I felt like I wasn’t going to fit in since it’s a predominantly white school, but the second I started classes everyone saw me as normal. I felt like I fit in. I loved my professors they always helped students so we can be the best. They offer jobs so we can pay tuition. They push us to academically and socially so we’re prepared for what’s outside of college. Overall Gonzaga is the best school, and I’m glad I chose such an incredible Jesuit institution in order to follow my dreams.

Kaliyah

A very kind and welcoming campus. Has a very homey feeling. Professors really engage in conversations with students and I can tell they really want to help their students to be successful. There are many reasons to feel safe on campus. One being the campus police who are very kind and helpful. Another being the emergency system that provides emergency buttons throughout campus that notify the campus police to come. The campus police has an impressive reaction time of 1 minute. The extra activities provided are incredibly fun and welcoming. Also, the food choices are amazing and healthy. Great school!

Tyler

Academics aren't a challenge in all honesty... There is no curve whatsoever, because the exams are so straight forward that it is identical to homework with new numbers. There are very few asians to skew the grades, so professors don't feel the need to curve down. I got a 95% or higher in about half the courses I took. I have always made the president's list. I found the STEM courses to be much easier than the core requirement. The professors are totally hit or miss. Students are super chill and relaxed. Huge party scene if you are into basketball or just drinking in general. Not the smartest student body, but down to earth people. I would say if you study you will have no problem getting a 3.5+, but if you don't try at all I can't imagine anyone getting below a 3.0. Again the professors are so hit or miss...

ezra

I LOVE IT!!

Sophia

Love it

Christine

I love it! The class sizes are small. The professor have applicable outside experience that make class subjects interesting. They are also very accessible and encouraging, Gonzaga is a school founded in servant leadership and the professors and advisors really push that value.

Vy

I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars for the overall rating because the only thing they could improve is the hiring process of faculty because the teacher is either extremely good at teaching or extremely bad, not because they don't know about the subject but they simply don't know how to teach.

Angelique

It is great, there are lots of things to do on campus and off campus, along with the food it is great. I think there are a lot of great professors on campus and the students there are very generous and nice. I love how the weather is over there, and I am hoping to get into the medical program there.

Tobenna

Gonzaga is a very good academic school with a community full of kind, and relaxed people. It’s also very nice to know that you pretty much will always have access to certain things you may need to succeed in whatever you are pursuing, as long as you take the necessary steps, such as emailing a teacher and letting them know you need help. Overall I’ve enjoyed my time here so far and I hope it continues to get even better.