Goodwin College

« See more reviews of Goodwin College

As a single 31 year old mother of three sons, aged 15, 12 and 7 years old, the best advice I would give myself would be to "Go For IT!."I would strongly and convinsingly express that I will not only be able to do it, I will find that I will surpass my own expectations, gain recognition, accolades from my peers & collegues, and find a strenght-part stubbornes, part pride- that would surprise even myself. I would argue that there is no perfect time, for anything, and that this moment in time was as best time as any to embark on a wonderful, fulling, and rewarding education journey. I would testify to the unwavering and strong support from my family, peers, and collegues- even if this was not clear to me then. I would take my hand and say that the fear of the unknown and new can be perceived as terrifying, but it's just a perceiption- it is comfortable and safe to remain in place but the adventures, the experiences that such a risk brings will take you, show you, and introduce you to persons, places, and things you would have otherwise cheated yourself of. Go, NOW!

When I was a high school senior I had no idea what I wanted to choose for my eventual career. After graduation I decided to become an emergency medical technician, instead of going to college, and then obtained my paramedic license. I have now decided to go back to school to become a nurse and in doing so I have learned a lot about the college process. If I could go back in time and do things over I think that I would have taken more time and looked into the true costs of college, the time frame for achieving college goals, and researched how student loans work. I feel like these topics are not talked about enough in high school and I wished that I had known more about them before I graduated. At my current job, I interact with a number of high school students and recent high school graduates and I spend a lot of time helping them to research colleges, cost of programs, and educate them on how loans work. I am unable to go back in time and learn these lessons any earlier myself so I spend my time helping prospective students research.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, and knowing the college life and makin the transition, I would tell myself that I would need to apply to as many scholarships and grants that I possibly could because college is expensive. I would have found a part time job and put money away in a savings account towards college books and materials. I would also tell myself that the transition from high school to college is not as difficult if you're a hard worker and is passionate to succeed. Personally, I would love to attain a Masters Degree in Business Administration but financially I can't afford it. I won't give up on my dreams because I'm having problems paying for school. It will only motivate me to work ten times as hard to make sure that I get that degree. I believe that yourself is the only one responsible for your success and if you give up because you encounter problems, all you have to do is put a hurdle right over those problems and jump over them. You can't let one thing get in the way of you becoming successful.

As many teenagers are, I was lost in my own world of self-consciousness and insecurites, thinking the whole world is looking at me for answers. The truth is the world does not wait for you to become an adult. You don't magically wake up and know exactly what you want to do with the rest of your life. Education is lifelong and has changed mine forever. I would tell myself, "Tiffany, you have your whole life to be who you dream to be. No matter how old you are, anything can be conqured. And let life take you on a ride. Go ahead and get married and have kids. You will be an amazing mother. And that boy you dated this year, he will be the best daddy and husband in the world. Once life settles down, and you have time to think about yourself, you will find your path. It will be an adjustment, but you will learn there is a you, under developed, waiting to cure the world. You never thought you could, did you? College life can wait. Indecisiveness will fade. Your wisedom will flourish in college. And always remember, love yourself."

At Goodwin College I have been offered a diverse population of students, caring teachers, and a community. I have been able to make friends with many different people and learned from each one. I also am an individual of many cultures, born and raised in the United States with a heritage from Peru and China. The diversity has caused me to become more open minded. I also was completely skeptical of attending my college until I met a teacher, Mr. Secondo. His way of teaching caused me to fall in love with my worst high school subject, biology. I have found a great appreciation and interest to all sciences. It's like giving a mouse a cookie, the mouse will want more. I want to know more. I began in my school with the idea of simply completing an associate's degree as a registered nurse, but now I am on the road for a bachelor's degree. I don't plan to stop there because I want to be a cRNA and pursue my master's degree in nursing. I'll have a third and fourth cookie and become fat with knowledge to help my community.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to begin learning how to manage time better. That is one of the biggest issues that freshman in college struggle with trying to adjust to. Only needing to take a few classes a day for a few hours really allows yourself to have a lot of free time on your hands. What do you then do with all of that free time? I would advise myself to make sure that a good chunk of it is spent studying and doing work in the library because after adjusting to those ways I saw a significant raise in my GPA. I would also tell my high school self to be sure to make smart decisions, try learning how to become independent, and to be responsible. College is no joke. This is where you choose a career that you will be doing for the rest of your life! Do not go out partying on weeknights and then end up missing class the following morning. Make your parents proud. Do not waste their money. Graduate and make something of yourself! Go make a difference!

Please DO NOT take a break from college. I proimse it will not be easier than now! Having 2 daughters and a senior citizen mother to support is not the ideal time in life to complete your college education. If you feel like you are overwhelmed then go part time. Look at moving back home for a semester, but whatever you do - DO NOT STOP GOING! You can do this. No matter what life brings you, you always make the best of it. I know it is hard when life uses you as a punching bag but honestly you are single without any responsibilities other than going to school. You do not want to be 36, a mom of an 8 an 11 year old, caregiver to a 76 year old mother, trying to complete full time nursing school. At that point there are not enough hours in the day to do everything you want. Something will have to give and it will most likely be sleep. So do yourself a favor - Work hard, study like it's your job, aim for a 4.0 - Because when you get a 4.0 you will never be more proud of yourself!

I will had loved to finish high school and then go to nursing. I waited to late to finish high school and start nursing school. If i can go back in time i will do everything diffrent. I will tell myself maria finish school and then go to do our nursing and then get married and have kids. Travel and enjoy my job and my family to,i would of love to go to school for nursing when i ws younger because i would of had more energy and i would of worked and safe my money and invest in a house. Travel and maybe go further into the medical field.If i could go back i will deffently would of tell my friends how good it feels to have a good job and i job that i will always be able to help others. One thing i always liked is helping the spanish people because lots of the olderly don't understand or know how to talk and explaine to the english speaking nurses..Nursing for me is about helping and taking care of those that cant do for them selfs. Am going to enjoy thid work very much...

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself about the future, I would say that it's okay to take sometime to figure out which career will make you happy. Everyone finds this information out at their own pace. So just because friends go immediately out to college, and your first college wasn't the best choice, it's okay to try again. You will succeed and you will find a college where transititoning is easy and where you feel comfortable and excited to attend. I would have told myself to experience a few fields, go out and volunteer more and see what really makes you happy. I would tell myself not to regret decisions because every decision made identifies who we are as people. My choices made me who I am. I would remind myself not to lose that goal-oriented personality and to keep shooting for the stars because in a few short years, you'll finally make it and understand the path you took for your education was benefical to you.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition the advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to tell myself to apply for scholarships. Back in my senior year of high school, my guidance counselor would tell us all to apply for scholarships. My guidance counselor emphasis the need for me to apply for as many scholarships as I could. I did apply for scholarships but I didn’t really make an effort. In my mind, I knew college was expensive but I thought I wouldn’t have to pay back the money once I finish school and started working. Throughout the course of my college years, I had to take out loans, pay the reminder balance of my tuition with my own money, and pay for my books. If I had applied for scholarships in my senior year of high school, I probably would not be in the financial hardship that I am in now.