Goucher College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Goucher College

Lillian

I hated this place, but the administration threatened me into staying at this school, or else my name would have ruined at a university closer to home. I studied Psychology, and received a bachelor's degree in this field, but I couldn't even tell you the definition of Psychology. That's how poor the academics are at Goucher! This university's reputation is going to severely suffer in the academic community when the academic community learns how little mental faculties you need to get a bachelor's degree here. Just wait Goucher! I am not the only person who wants to see this place go under. The board of Trustees fire the professors who only have one year left before receiving their pensions. Many of my peers want to boycott making donations to this place. I'm glad the pandemic came along and is challenging the very functions of this school. Do I sound bitter? You bet. I didn't deserve the way I was treated by the administration. If you want to actually learn and not be molded by the system into learning nothing, then I would recommend not attending this school. You will graduate with a degree without knowing the definition of the field you're in. The only upside is the Hopkins Club.

Davon

it is a ok school

Laura

Wen I first heard of this college, I immediately thought there would be more colleges like this one. But after looking at other liberal colleges, I found that none of them compared to Goucher College. I am wildly pleased with Goucher's diversity; their very flexible and round academics; and the amount of art that is constantly consumed by the students and professors.

Cassandra

It is really great! It is a group of eclectic people who are all really friendly and open. There is some political discourse on campus, but most of the time it is just about what is politically correct. I love it! If you want some where that isn't super traditional or follows the rules, Goucher is the place for you!

I love Goucher. While some of the dorms and dining halls are outdated, they are currently being updated, so new and current students can look forward to that. The campus is beautiful and if there isn't something happening on campus (which is rare) its always possible to take a bus or uber into Baltimore to have fun.

Kristin

When I graduated from Goucher they had only started the big push for international study abroad. Now it is required. It is a beautiful, safe campus with a small student:professor ratio which makes learning mandatory. Most undergrads go on to post-graduate work well prepared.

Christina

My opinion about Goucher is if you like small school and small class rooms this is the place to go. They have many opportunities to help out in class and many teachers become friends when you see them outside and around campus. They are always available for meeting and are flexible to our schedules. The constant change of curriculum is confusing but once its set, your program is set for your next four years.

Desirae

I enjoy Goucher's student to professor ratio because that is extremely beneficial when trying to understand an assignment or just to ask questions about what happened in class. The students that come to Goucher are very inviting and you can befriend people that you never thought you would become friends with. It is true that you can get stuck inside the Goucher bubble and struggle with finding ways to get off campus, but that also encourages you to find extracurricular's and things to do. There are many exciting opportunities at Goucher through clubs on campus, jobs/volunteer work, and social events that occur on campus. Even so, there are still some things that Goucher could work on when it comes to listening to the students and the decisions they make to expand the campus. Though there are some difficulties there are many students that come to Goucher who push to make the college less divided and culturally aware of situations in order to make the school the best that it can be. With the help of professors, staff, and workers there are outlets for students to reach out to in order to make their experience at Goucher a learning and growing experience.

Sydnee

I think that Goucher is a place where everyone is accepted. Therefore we have a strong sense of community. At the same time, the college does have some faults. As do all colleges. Goucher's faults come from the actions of the students rather than the actions of the faculty.

Duncan

The college has a good vibe to it. It is a very open community in multiple different ways. It is a good small, college. This means that you know, or know about, most of the students on campus (no matter what year they are). Additionally, there are no completely closed off groups, so it is likely that you will be part of multiple different clubs and groups. Finally, this place has really good professors. All of them are reasonably accessible and are all kind.

Kieran

I think as an academic institution, Goucher College is among the best in the country. I am blessed to be among it's student body. I feel comfortable asking my teachers and fellow students for help; it never feels competitive. There are also infinite options for interdisciplinary study. Student life I have more mixed feelings about. The campus is small, and while it is in an urban area, it feels very closed off. It can often feel like living in a bubble. Despite that, getting out isn't as difficult as it can seem, and I would highly recommend getting out often as you can. Be sure to find a friend who has a car. Baltimore is a beautiful and artistic city, and makes living in that bubble worth it. I also feel incredibly comfortable in my own skin as a trans person on this campus. There is a huge queer and trans community here that I am grateful for. The only other negative is while the teaching staff are phenomenal, I believe the administration does not consider the opinion of the students as much as they advertise. There is a lot of change happening currently that was not actively discussed with the student body, such as construction and a higher focus on sports instead of art and music. I would highly recommend it, but would suggest living off campus and away from the chaos.

Carmen

I loved it. the students were very open and friendly. The classes I sat in on the professors were personable and engaging. I loved the campus and the new dorms they are building. It was my first choice but I could not make the finances work. They did everything they could to help.

Gabi

I honestly love Goucher. However, it's not for everybody. There's no Greek life, no football games, and not a huge party scene. It definitely takes a certain kind of person to be a Gopher. Being a small liberal arts college, its students are very liberal and very artsy. Students tend to be very involved in the arts and very politically active. The small class sizes are awesome because it allows you to have better relationships with your peers and professors, as well as creating a great environment for group work and discussion. Goucher's proximity to Baltimore and Washington D.C. gives students great access to events and cultural experiences off campus, as well as internships and jobs in the cities. Our NCAA Division III athletic teams are very competitive in the Landmark Conference. Goucher's innovation goes beyond the classroom with LEEDS certified buildings and providing locally sourced and organic food in dining halls to promote environmental sustainability. Overall, I think Goucher is an amazing school.

Goucher's academics are almost worth dealing with Goucher administration, almost. Teachers, curriculum, and classes are great! The students here are very intelligent and support each other in educational out-of-class activities, which can be hard to find. Goucher's administration is, on the other hand, very dangerous. My friend went into the campus police office to inform them a student who threatened to commit suicide was missing, and the officer took a call instead of starting an incident report. On another occasion, a girl requested a "no-contact form" be given to a guy on campus, and PubSafe failed to ever file the form, putting the girl student in danger. Most recently, during room checks (that happen every 6 weeks!) over break, the campus police and Res life took my prescription medicine for panic attacks out of my room without informing me, and when I went to use the medication it was missing. I was never asked if I was okay or apologized to for the incident. This has all been in the past 6 weeks! Goucher only cares about prospective students and getting money from alumni, so Goucher can begin to climb its way out of the HUGE financial debt it has accumulated. It is unfortunate the administration is SO poor at its job, because the academics are very amazing! Its good to keep in mind that if you are enrolled In Hopkins, MICA, and a few other Baltimore schools, you are still eligible to take classes at Goucher!

Kiera

The class size allows the professors to know us as individuals. Wonderful advisers, administration and staff make the learning process easy and allows us to be able to get additional instructions if needed. This college has allowed me to have a safe and comfortable place to learn. Glad I choose this school.

Goucher is a welcoming and diverse college that motivates students to embrace their artistic abilities and intelligence through their academic courses and outside-the-classroom events focusing on aspects of our world we live in today. You are able to experience many cultures with just the friends you make and the professors you know. Goucher is a supportive environment of everyone of any race, faith, and gender.

I really enjoy my college overall. I love and hate how small it is at the same time. I love having smaller class sizes and not having to walk far to get to classes, but it's easy to feel trapped sometimes because there aren't a lot of places to go on campus. There are lots of places to go off-campus, but it is tough if you're not super comfortable with Towson or the area around it. The food is great, but there isn't a ton of variety. The menu doesn't change that often and it is a lot of pizza, hamburgers, and hotdogs. Everyone is basically on the same political and environmental wave-length which is great for someone like me who came from a small town where my political views were basically obsolete. There's also a lot of diversity, not just in race, but also in religion. Everyone is so friendly. Plus we have therapy dogs on campus every other Thursday. What anxious and stressed college student wouldn't want that?

Rianna

Goucher College is the BEST college ever! It is a very innovative liberal arts college with many sports,workshops,clubs and career makes to choose from . Students here are very open-minded and artistic. Everyone there is very friendly, and the campus is community-based. Teachers also have a close-knit relationship with their students both in and out of the classroom- something which isn't prevalent in many colleges or universities.

Eric

Goucher is a close-knit community of students seeking to change the world. The international study-abroad programs are amazing and most students comment about their study-abroad experiences in a positive light. The college athletics, while not the best in the Landmark Conference, encourages students to build sportsmanship and camaraderie with teammates. The professors and other college staff are always friendly and inviting. I have developed great relationships with many of the people there and will continue these relationships into the future. All in all, if you're looking for a private, liberal arts college with amazing study-abroad opportunities, great campus food, and good housing, in a small city/just outside of Baltimore, Md, Goucher is THE place to be.

Not very good

Mel

Residential Life literally finds ways to ruin my experience and the Director Lindy Bobbitt is the most hated person on campus. She is rude and treats students like they are stupid. No one in that office cares about students and the ones that do care leave quickly. If there wasn’t a live on requirement, no one would live on campus.

Erin

I loved Goucher. I love the intimate class sizes and the fact that you really got to know your professors. The students were pretty free spirited when I attended, but I have heard that the school is pushing for sports more these days to class dynamics have changed.