Grace College and Theological Seminary Top Questions

Delaney

The biggest piece of advice I would give my high school self would be to try not to limit myself. I now know that any school and any major are a possibility. When I was in high school I belittled myself and made myself feel as if I was not smart enough to go to my dream school, when in reality anything was and is possible for me.

Joseph

Dear younger me, Being at Grace College has truly changed our life. Once you become a part of this community, you will know exactly what I am talking about. You have become more responsible and even more ready to take on the world, but there is only one thing you need to know. Before I start, I know it was really tough for us growing up, but it is what we have overcome that shaped who we are today. It is because of our experiences and growing from them and choosing to rely on God rather than ourselves, that allowed us to grow into a man of God. Now, the most important thing I want you to know is that we must carry our own cross daily, so we must deny ourselves and die daily because Christ lives and reigns in us and he gave himself up for us. Life will not get any easier, but Christ is worth it. God takes us through many trials and sometimes it is easier to just give up, but we are called to be so much more, so do not give up because we are His! Do not give up, Older self

Moriah

I would tell myself as a high school senior to not stress about college too much. Enjoy the time that you have in high school, becayse college life is very different. In college you have so many things to juggle- work, classes, friends, and family. Take the time to live and love. When you get to college, give yourself some grace. It's a hard transition! Don't be hard on yourself because you think that it should be easier than it is You'll get through it. You will adjust to be surrounded by people, to three hour night classes, to not going to bed until one in the morning. Give yourself grace as you learn all of these new things.

Emma

Looking back from where I was to where I am today, I admit that my life has changed in countless ways. It is incredible what a semester of college can do to a student, if he or she allows him or herself to be changed in ways that will help them grow. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler, I would tell myself to cherish every moment in high school. Many times, I had a mindset to always move forward and to reach for college. I never took time and enjoyed the moment I was in. High school was very special to me. I would love to go back and tell myself to take advantage of every beautiful moment. In addition to this, I would also tell myself to not worry about college. I was afraid that I would fail in my academics because of the hard classes I would take. Now I realize that there is nothing to be anxious about if I take one moment at a time and work with all my heart. The teachers really care for their students and want them to be successful.

Madeline

I would tell myself "Do not worry. Grades are not everything. Go out and have fun with your friends. As long as you learn somthing,because at the end of the day relationships are what last longest.

Anna

As a newly graduated senior, I think I would tell myself not to worry so much about the future and really focus on what you are working on right then. I was looking so much ahead of me that I did not focus as hard on my studies and oppertunities my senior year.

Steven

In high school, I found education to be exceedingly easy and never really applied myself. Due to this I never really formed study skills. If I could go back and give myself advice I would tell teenage me to work hard, strive to get a 4.0 GPA that I know I could have easily achieved, and to form study habits. I would let me know how much I wish I had done those things because of the various ways it would have helped me in my undergraduate. Firstly, it would have helped me in some of the more challenging courses like genetics and organic chemistry. For these courses, I had to teach myself to study and I wasn't very good at it even though I still received fairly good grades, overall. Secondly, I would have received more scholarships and wouldn't be as buried in students loans as I am now. Now, that I am continuing on to graduate school it is becoming even more difficult to find these scholarships. I know that this advice would have been immensely helpful, both in my education and in my finances.

Ben

Do not cut yourself short. Look into all your options; you might find something you didn't even know you were looking for. Apply to all the schools you can, and apply for all the scholarships you can. If at all possible, look into trying to get some experience in the field you think you want to study so that you can know more certainly. Don't be afraid to change your major; you are studying to hopefully find a career in the same field of work. But don't be afraid about picking a major because your options are endless. When you find something that you enjoy, go for it.

Angelica

If were given the option to go back in time, I would choose wisely. I would sit down and tell myself that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I would also make it very clear that no day is sweeter and tangible than today is. I would look down at my 16 year old self and tell her that at the end of the day, it is the simple little details that matter the most. The insignificant book that you failed to read, will one day make your fingers tremble and allow your mind to expand. I would tell her that teachers that you hated the most were the best ones, not because they gave you a lot of work, but because they challenged you. If I would have known everything I know today, it would have been a moment of clarity so overwhelming yet so welcomed I could have made better decisions. Yet, I do not regret any of it, because now I can talk to myself today and be reminded that every second counts.

Lynell

The world at times can be very scary when you feel naked. I felt like a fish out of water trying to balance my school, work, family and social life. I remember my life felt like a plate was completely full of Peter Pan food I just needed to be able to see someone else lead me to eat before I could believe that it could be there for me all the while I felt people were looking for me to lead them. I lacked support and conviction to implement a plan and didn’t want to go down a wrong direction. I could see several paths of going into professional business however I lacked the understanding of several key life elements that come about with experience which has helped me to clearly see what I am passionate about. My advice to my senior high school self would be to not make life seem so serious that the darkness consumes you and the balance of good is thrown off. Even though you see big things others may not always share them so remember to embrace positivity whenever presented and persevere with a smile even while things seem looming and uncertain.

Brianna

Be more prepared financially.

The advice that I would give is that I should take classes at the college near by home to get credits out of the way. It will save me money and prepare me better for when I get to be a college freshman. Another suggestion would be visiting where I attend now sooner, instead of waiting hoping to get into my "dream" college. I would tell myself not to be so stuck on going to one place but to focus on all of the other schools that are out their that I can visit and apply to. I also would tell myself to learn more about grammar and the different writing styles. In college you use multiple different styles of formatting and I would have liked to get to know those before I started my classes. The last thing is to savor everytime that I had with my friends because college changes everything.

Bethany

I would tell myself that being away from home for extended periods of time is hard. You can get homesick. I would also advise myself to try and get sleep and also to take naps. College life is fun but the homework can be hard. However, college should not be all work and no fun. Having some what of a social life is a good thing because being in college is stressful. You can never get away from school because you live at school. Finally, I would tell myself to keep an open mind and to try and learn as much as I can while I'm at college.

Steven

If I could go back to the past and talk to the high school senior version of myself I would begin by telling myself, "Stay motivated!". I'd then continue with, "Stay motivated in your school work and be deligent to do your best work you can as soon as possible. If you do this you'll have more time to have fun and you'll be less stressed. Stay motivated in your work. When you get a job be the best employee you can be by being hard-working and reliable. Prove yourself to your employer and you'll be blessed with a more flexiable schedule. Lastly, stay motivated in you friendships. During the up coming years of college the friends you'll make will be life long. They will change you for the better and make you a man of honor, faith, passion, knowledge, loyalty, and integrity. Stay motivated and college will be some of the best years of your life!". This would be the advice I would give to myself.

Taylor

Professors and Staffs are very nice . They care about students and want to get to know the students. Also, most classes are small enough to interact with professors during classes (asking questions..). It is a great school for people who wants to focus on studying because there are no distractions like partyiing. The school push you to study hard to get good grades. I have been getting good education from Grace College.

Since attending Grace, I have been challenged in my study habits and determination to work hard. I have been pushed outside of my comfort zone and challenged to do things that I never thought I could do. I have found my classes to be very informative, and some have even caused me to become interested in subjects that I have never thought much about before. I have been exposed to different styles of teaching and I've discovered how I function best in the classroom as well as outside of it. I have learned a lot about community and the need for other people to be involved in my life. I have enjoyed, and learned a lot, from the different relationships and friendships that I have been able to build over this past year at school. I have learned to communicate better with my professors and my friends. Overall the experience of being surrounded by great professors, and the ability to build friendships and other relationships, as well as the educational aspect of Grace, have been very valuable to me.

Connie

I have become a completely different person since starting college two years ago. I've grown and matured and learned so much! I can't imagine how I would be different if I had just gone into the work force after high school, or if I had stayed at home and attended community college. I've learned about my faith in my Bible classes, and that has caused me to become a more authentic Christian. I've also learned a great deal about myself and others in my counseling and psychology classes. I think I've learned just as much through the friendships I've formed at Grace College, especially my friendships with the girls in my dorm. My friends have taught me how to value people more than my to-do list, and they've taught me how to be more generous and loving. It's difficult to sum up my college experience in one sentence, but I gave it my best shot: Being a student at Grace has caused me to understand myself more, made me into more of a thinker, expanded my knowledge, and has given me the opportunity to form deep friendships that will last.

Daniel

As a senior in high school I was self-serving and individualistic. This doesn't seem horrible considering most people are very much this way. Still, if I could say one thing I to myself, it would be "Hey Dan! Why don't you quit being so self-conscious and start spending time caring about other people?!" What changed me in college was the fact that people selflessly spent time on me. Curtis didn't mind loaning his car though he would rather be running his own errands with it. Samuel sacrificed homework time to help me study. Andy always checked everyone's room to sure no one was left out of a game of ultimate frisbee. Micheal spent extra time with me before and after practice to help work on running technique. Somewhere along the way, I caught on and naturally began investing my own time towards other people. This turned out to be the most rewarding thing that happened to me during my first year of college. Thinking back to the impatiently selfish young man I was in high school, I realized that instead of being cold and complacent I should have been spreading more kindness and generosity.

Jonathan

I would tell myself to work at the best of my ability in everything, so I can learn what is needed to know for college, and to take as many AP courses as I can during the ending of my Highschool year. College life is entirely different from Highschool. We need to become more mature and be able to handle ourselves. It is our responsibility to get a good grade and learn. Many people seem to get lazy in the ending of their Highschool years and do not get the most out of it. This is crucial to be the best you can be. If you are not faithful in the small things, how could you possibly be faithful in the large things. I would also tell myself to take as many AP courses as possible because it will give me a jump start in my career. Not only would college be cheaper because I would not have to take some classes, but I would finish earlier. This would have saved me thousands of dollars and I would be ahead of everyone in my graduating class. This is something I regret, and if I could go back I would.

Kathleen

If I could go back to high school and give myself advice, knowing what I know now I would tell myself not to sweat the small stuff and focus on the things that really matter. During high school we manage to concern ourselves with small stuff and worry about other people. The truth is no one can define who we are by what they think or say, only we can define who we are. We are all valuable and precious in the eyes of our maker and our worth is in Him. Be strong in your faith and allow God's direction in your life. When the storms arise, remind yourself that "this too shall pass" and we are always where God wants us to be. Our life is like a huge chapter book, sometimes we get stuck in a situation that seems too hard to proceed thru; we just need a gentle reminder that this is just a page, there is so much more out there and the pages will turn and the chapter book will continue. Praise God in all things and show the love of Christ to all.

Margaret

Dear Myself, First of all, do not be so scared. College life, although hard, is seemingly the best choice you could ever make after completing high school. Even though you do not know what you want to study in college that does not mean that you will not need further schooling for the profession you want, so go, the right area of study will find you. When looking at colleges to apply for, dig deeply into their opportunities for careers post graduation. While on the path toward college look for as many scholarships as you can, and complete them early. If you are able to apply, do it, do not waste the opportunity. There are always so many different ways to become distracted while at school, so stay focused on your degree, since that is why you are going to school, and not as much on the social life. This truly is your first opportunity to discover what your place is in this world, trust in your abilities, pursue your passions, and always strive for the best you have to offer others.

Jacque

1. *The greatest advice I would give myself as a high school senior is listen to the teachers that have advice about college. They really know what they are talking about, they have done it before. 2. Be strong in who you are. People will love you for that! College is the time when you will learn the most about yourself; stand strong for what you believe but also listen with an open ear when people challenge you. What they have to say may really make you think. 3. Try hard...you may surprise yourself! :) When you are in college you are finally studying what you want to study. Be open to changing the way you learn and work hard at it. 4. Don't room with your best friends. They stay best friends when they are down the hall. When you get tired of your roommate you can go to your friends, when you are tired of your friends you can go to your roommate! 5. Build lots of relationships! Not just with other students, but professors and people in the community. You may never know when you'll need them! Love your time, it doesn't last long!

Andrew

A lot of college life is about finding the right balance. It is easy for me to get caught up in academics and only focused on excelling in the classroom. I often choose to spend time doing homework or studying rather than hanging out with people and developing relationships. While grades and academics are important, people are the most important thing. It is all about the relationships I will build here. I will not remember the grade I received in a course, but the friends I make now could last for the rest of my life. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not be so academically driven and to devote more of my time to the people around me.

Angela

It's important to make friends--school and work are important things, but friendship is the most important part of life. You need to take care to not get so caught up with those things that you neglect people. That doesn't mean that you should neglect your work--college isn't as easy as high school was. You actually have to study and apply yourself to work. The profs assignwork that actually can take a while to complete, and they expect you to complete your assignments well. Basically, you just need to be careful to make sure that even while you are being a "good student," you are also beign a good friend. College can be alot of fun if you let it be, but it's also a lot of work. It's scary, but SO worth it!

Angela

Angie, you NEED to apply for more scholarships, and budget more wisely for the future. People aren't joking about "poor college students!" You are poor, and you need to be more conscientious about addressing that. Also, don't doubt yourself. Do what you want to do, and don't change your mind or think that you are wrong about what you've decided.

Heather

I would tell myself that it is going to be a tough journey ahead but you will make it. God will provide for you every step of the way. It will take time to get used to the adjustment of being away from home. Be ready to accept challenges from God that you never expected, he will stretch your faith beyond its limits! Satan will come after you in the big bad world, and he will try to tempt you to do things you never thought you would do. You must keep your faith strong so he doesn't succeed, it will be tough at times. You will feel like the whole world is gaining up on you and that everyone is against doing the right thing, but God always provides a way out of every tempting situation.

To stay focused on completing school and not graduating early.

Toby

To find the right college, figure out what is truly important to you. For me, academic excellence, variety of majors, beliefs in line with my own, a good community, and scholarship money were most important. I visited as many schools as I possibly could and spent the night in the dorm/on campus apartments to really get a good idea of what the students and campus was like. Also, start your search early. I started in my junior year of high school and found that that was about the right amount of time to find the exact school I was looking for without feeling rushed to make a decision. Also, if you apply early enough, most schools will waive the application fee. It also gives you time to audition or compete for scholarships from the school.

Andrew

Make sure that the college you chose is somplace that you will ba happy with for 4 years of your life. Make sure that it is also a place where you are chalenged to learn and chalenged to preform at your fullest potential.

Julie

My advice to parents is to visit colleges early in high school with your student and use a variety of sources to shop around, including magazines, the internet, and word of mouth. Even if you happen to see a college age student in the grocery store sporting their establishment's T-shirt, talk to them about the school! Don't go on special visit/VIP days, go for your own private tour and make sure your child stays overnight in the dorm with a student host. Eat in the dining hall with your son or daughter and try to sit in on a class in the field that he or she would like to study as well. Try to strike up a conversation with the professor afterwards, his willingness to chat may also serve as a meter to his availability to students. Drive around the town or city where the college is located as well, remember: that could be where your son or daughter is hanging out on the weekends.

Rose

I know that choosing a college is a really hard decision. Looking back on my process of choosing, and what I've learned through it, I believe it's essential to consider what's truly important. It's definitely beneficial to make a list of those things, such as desired majors and programs, prices, extra curricular activities offered, and location. I have to pay for college completely on my own, and it's definitely hard, but I recomend having an open mind when considering prices. If the college you truly want to attend is above your price range, don't pass it off completely. I wish I had actually gone to my first choice college, but I decided against it because I thought it was too expensive. Once you're at college, make the most of it. It's hard, but you have to be vulnerable at first. This is such an important factor of forming bonds and making friends. Get involved in programs and activities that interest you, and try some that you're not entirely sure about. You never know what you'll love doing. You learn so much about life and yourself during this time.

Ivy

spending one night on campus may not be enough. get to know some of the people there and interact with the professors when you visit. ask some hard questions for the faculty to answer like "how many students actually graduate with high scores here?" "how many students who ask for financial help actually get it?" "what percentage of students actually get a job on campus?" "are most students academically oriented?". asking some of these questions and others (make sure you wrote them down or you'll forget what they were!) to not only give yourself a better visual understanding of what the campus is really like but also to help you learn if it is REALLY the right campus for you. some campus that you thought was the perfect one for you may not be perfect for you until you're alreay in it and it's too late to get out. keep in mind every campus has its flaws and mistakes, but a campus should still cater to you as a student. you're paying them to educate you, not flunk you.

Rebecca

Find schools that appeals to you academically as well as extra-curricularly. Visit the schools, and ask the hard questions: Do you have a high crime rate? Do you have a problem with plagiarism? etc. Remember a lot of the time the tour leaders are students, so they might be a little more frank than staff or faculty. Look at the faculty for your major. Are they well educated? experienced? well known? Is the staff friendly and helpful? Is the student body friendly or do they ignore visitors? How about student aid? Look around, apply to more than one. Once you've decided on a school, for whatever reasons you have, throw yourself into your major. Work hard, and make your time pay off. Use the school library. Make friends and have fun! Try new things: dorm-on-dorm kickball, or a sushi bar, or a free outdoor concert. Smile at people, and treat everybody as a prospective friend. This is an adventure! Call home, and thank your parents for the years they spent feeding, clothing, driving, and helping you. Be polite to faculty and staff! It's the right thing to do and it's in your best interest.

Kate

College has been the most influential experience of my life so far, so it's important to choose a place that will not only teach you and award you a degree but inform character development. Only a few years ago, your kids were babies, and I know it's hard to let them go, but the difference between my friends who went away to college and those who stayed home is obvious after only one year, so let them spread their wings. Learning occurs in all parts of campus, not just the classroom, and becoming a person who knows what I stand for has been the most important thing I've learned from college. You never get a rest from the tests that life without your parents subjects you to, so be alert! Loving your major is not always as important as completing your assigned work with love and dedication. Stick with it. Even students who didn't do well in high school have a chance to start fresh in college. Grades often improve if you allow yourself adequate rest and food, so... Even if everyone else is partying all night and trying the newest diets, choose to respect yourself.

Carina

Yes, choosing the "right" college can seem daunting, even terrifying; the same can be said of deciding on a major, pondering what to do with that major, or even making new friends once you finally move into your dorm for the first time. The key thing to keep in mind during this maelstrom of uncertainty is that you can affect your entire experience only with your attitude. Remember this! You can choose to cling to your comfort zone (tempting, I admit) and set yourself up for mediocrity by refusing to accept anything you haven't experienced yourself; or, you can choose to try something new or talk to someone you wouldn't normally talk to. I know it sounds cliche, but it is so important! You will miss so much if you don't try to conquer your fear enough to step outside of your own experience and into someone else's! There is so much in this world to discover; don't miss out on that just because you want to stick to what you already know. Putting yourself into new, different situations (such as college!) is scary, but it is worth it!

Dan

Work Hard. Complete Homework. Make sacrifices for your school work.

Bethany

It's really all about knowing yourself. How large do you want the college? What do you like to do? What type of housing do you want to live in? What rules will you follow? Know what your expectations and desires are, and find the college that will work for you. Don't try and fit yourself into a college that won't work. Be patient; do your homework and pick the right one for you.

Don't let finacial crisis get in your way with finding the right college for you or your child. Most memories during my college years can't be labled with a price.

John

Go there first.

Logan

Make sure that you find a place that is community based. Try to find a place where the faculty actually care about the success of the students.

Shelly

The advice that I would give to parents and/ or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is that you should make sure to vistit the schools at least twice at different times in the year, so you make sure that you don't go on one very off day. To make the most of the college experience make sure that the student spends the night because that is where they really see what college is about.

I would tell parents, and potential students to take time and actually tour the potential students top 3-5 choice(s) of college(s). They, as potential students and parents of potential students, should be prepared to ask questions and able to meet with a few members of each schools current staff and students . They should also look into the scholarships and financial aid available to each schools students at each school and take time to get to know the surrounding town(s) of the college(s) in which the student chooses. Taking time to find out about the financial aid and area around each campus will help the student and the parents feel better about the students choice of college.

Henry

I would just say look at as many schools as possible and find the one that you feel you fit at best. Make sure that there will be opportunities after schooling for good career options and that your school can help get you there.

Jeremy

it is great if both the parents and students are at ease and have peace about the college the student has selected.

Do activities there that interest you.

Kori

Choosing the "perfect" college is nearly impossible. Remember this when you are looking. Visit several schools of all different sizes and varieties, because you may think you prefer a small school to a big school, until you actually visit a big school. I believe the most important factor in choosing a school is the quality of its education and its connections with the local community. An emphasis on academic excellence coupled with a good relationship with the community makes it much easier to gain practical experience in your chosen field, which makes it easier when you start applying for jobs. Aside from the academics, I would advise you to pick a school that will stretch you. You may be more comfortable with going where all your friends are going, but college should be about having new adventures and discovering new things about yourself. Choose a place that will be conducive to your personal growth. Lastly, I would strongly encourage you to choose a school that provides opportunities to impact others. Whether this is through community service or study abroad programs, it is important to give back. College is an incredible time to grow academically and personally--take advantage of it!

Matt

Finding a college that is right for you is very important. Students need to keep in-mind how large or small of a campus atmosphere they want to be apart of. Money is always a big factor in students and parents decisions. Don't always go for the cheaper schools because sometimes the small private schools have more financial aid to offer. Another big thing is to find a group of friends. Being able to hangout and study with friends can help inhance a student's experience. Most of all have fun and study hard.

Lily

To be honest I only applied to one college and that was Grace College where I ended up going. My advice to students looking for a school is to ask your friends and family about the college they went to. I also suggest that you visit the campus and find out what the classes/teachers/students are like. Even though you will only stay for a weekend it will give you an idea of what the school looks like. I also want to suggest that even if you get a tour of the school to take a look around the campus by yourself. Ask someone that you meet if they will show you there room. Many tours will show you the best parts of the school and never the worst.

Paul

My advice is that people should not worry nearly as much about the entire process. From my experience, college is what you make it out to be. I knew students who tried very hard and are following some very serious craeers in their field and others who slacked off and now flip burgers at fast-food restaurants. Some found college the party central and some saw it as an academic monstrosity. It all came down to how hard each of them was willing pursue their interests. So, I suggest you decide what kind of memories you want to have from college and then just try not to worry about it .

Think about what you will want from your college experiance when you are a junior or senior in college.